The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Grateful I was invited here! New member from NJ

Justincredible

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Oct 6, 2014
New Jersey
Hello everyone!

My name is Justin, I'm 25 and currently live in Northern New Jersey. I'm very grateful to be here because one of my good friends Danny Carmona told me about MJ DeMarco's book The Millionaire Fastlane and this forum. I immediately was excited about it, got signed up and ordered the paperback copy. (Great stuff thanks MJ!!)

**This is going to be somewhat of a long post so if you're interested in hearing my story feel free to keep reading :)**

Quick background of my upbringing & how my Mindset began to shift from Employee to Entrepreneur:

I grew up in a home with lots of support, love, and confidence building. My family never was wealthy, but we never went without the necessities, and some luxuries in life. My Mother made a life altering decision to leave my Father when I was around 5 because he wasn't focused on building a family, more on partying/alcohol/women. She worked in a good corporate job earning a decent salary and managed to retire young (around 50) because she was absolutely sick of the environment. Today, she's living on a fixed income and feels very stressed out all the time about the lack of finances, and amount of debt. This was an instant red flag to me growing up realizing if you worked hard for 25 years and didn't truly laser focus on building wealth and creating true leverage through passive income, it would be extremely challenging to do so off of a fixed salary without proper guidance/mentorship (trading time for money). I also saw what NOT investing into property did, as we have been renting for the last 18 years, (ever since my parents sold their home after the divorce - BAD MOVE!)

Since my father wasn't truly involved (would mainly see him on the weekends / sometimes weeks apart) - my Grandparents played a HUGE role in my development, especially helping to take care of me before/after school while my mother was working. I wasn't raised in a day care, which I'm grateful for. My Grandparents moved from Cuba to NYC when they were showing signs of communism with hopes that New York would be a great place to build a future for their two children (my father & uncle). Grandpa worked his way from a bus boy at a restaurant, to management, to then an incredible sales position for P&G (Proctor and Gamble), in which he was able to make a great living and provide for our family. He was a true role model for me in every sense of the word. Family man, business man, and true gentleman.

My childhood was very memorable because we would always take vacations to Miami,Florida every single summer after school ended for a whole entire month in a hotel! We ate out every night at delicious restaurants, hang with family, enjoyed the sun, beach, and pool every day. Looking back, it was an absolute blessing and dream life I had as a youngster. (And this is the type of life I am striving to work hard to create not only for MYSELF but for my future children / grand children and generations to come. I WILL be able to bless them the way I was blessed, it's my mission.)

**My experience in the work force & education:**

Ever since I was 15 I started working as a lifeguard every summer (awesome gig). My first experience with a "real job" was a Computer Sales Rep at Best Buy around 17 years old, as growing up I was extremely techy, and loved that field. I showed signs of entrepreneurship/outside the box thinking when I realized that I could do "side jobs" for people in the computer field such as PC installations/anti-virus/networking/etc... which came to me late in my time with Best Buy. (was there approx. 3 years) I started making on average $100 an hour for side jobs and was loving it. I made business cards for the first time and it felt great! Shortly there after I was fired because quite frankly I was fed up with the lack of pay, hours, and overall management. This experience came to be extremely priceless for me moving forward.

At the time I was in college but my grandparents began showing signs of their health going down hill, and the turning point was when my grandmother one of lost her legs to diabetes. This was extremely hurtful for our family, her happiness and soul was crushed. She was someone who loved to travel and be active, and the lack of nutrition mixed with diabetes took that away from her. It was at this point when I realized that my Grandparents were not going to be around forever, and I began to be more involved as a young man, going with her to physical therapy and showing support. *Health also began to be a huge concern for me as I was helping them to eat healthier & make better decisions.

From there I hopped around doing different jobs, Stagehand work (setting up concert venues/events) which paid a great hourly rate but very sporadic work. I worked for a gas/electricity company as a temporary Meter Reader and I absolutely HATED IT, but... I was able to listen to audiobooks all throughout the time I was walking around the neighborhoods and educated myself the entire time (such as Robert Kiyosaki/Jim Rohn etc.)

Shortly there after, I Quit to pursue an MLM (multi-level marketing/network marketing) opportunity in the health & wellness field full time (health is one of my passions to this date due to my family's challenges). It was the BEST decision I made because from there I was free to travel to different events without schedule conflicts, and focus on building the business. This was the most valuable experience of my life because I was IMMERSED in the entrepreneurial spirit, going to events, conferences, connecting with like-minds who were young and ambitious such as myself. I began to believe in myself, and that financial freedom WAS possible, despite my current situation. It came at a crucial point in my life where I was in a negative relationship, was broke in the mind and pockets, and desperately needed guidance. That company's leadership turned it all around for me. I was ready for change. Friends / family kept asking me, "what are you doing!? How are you traveling so much!? I see you're doing great! You seem so happy!" It was a complete makeover of my spirit.

**My WAKEUP CALL & Turning Point:**

One night after the gym I was sitting home and got a phone call that my grandmother was being rushed to the hospital. I instantly knew something was truly wrong. Arriving at the hospital around 1 Am I saw my grandmother laying lifeless and my grandfather next to her sobbing. I broke down. It absolutely CRUSHED me... she was my second mother. I then made a decision to move in with my grandfather to take care of him and so he wouldn't be alone. I kept my job at the time but dropped out of college (second year in - and haven't gone back since). His health declined rapidly, and I was his primary care-taker. From Dialysis appointments/doctor visits, cooking for him, calling the ambulance several times because he was being stubborn, the works. I saw it all. He went through countless surgeries, lost BOTH of his legs to diabetes/gangreen, open heart surgery, and he was STILL fighting with a great sense of humor that always helped shed light on the darkness... what a strong man he was. It was the most painful time in my young life around 21 years old. The suffering kept on for a year and a half after my grandmother passed.

During this time I was excelling in building a local team in MLM, still traveling and learning and doing Personal Training on the side. My confidence was through the roof despite the hardship, due to my Team and Leadership/support. If it wasn't for them during this time I know for a fact, I would NOT be writing this to you all on the Fastlane Forum. Why? because I would have NO IDEA that successful people are actually willing to help others. My mindset wouldn't be OPEN to this information, and my associations would not have brought me here. I'd probably still be a pothead, smoking every single day to "escape" and not being productive.

Two years ago my grandfather passed away, and in 2013 won 2nd place in a world-wide "Best Body Championship" representing the USA. This was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, I dedicated it to my late grandparents. If it weren't for the pain I wouldn't have been able to focus and grind out my vision.

**Where I'm at Today: The Crossroads**

Today, due to several reasons, I have stopped building that MLM (even though sometimes I think if I should continue it again, because I felt most passionate/purposeful in my life during those 2.5 years). I am currently employed in a full-time sales position making more money than I ever have at a job, BUT I realize that I do NOT want to be employed for very long. I saw what the Entrepreneurial lifestyle was all about. I lived and breathed it. Even though I was honestly broke most of the time, it was THE BEST experiences of my life.

At this point, I'm at my best place financially, and saving up money to be able to have more options as to investments. I'm a bit anxious and eager to find my true niche, and what I can LASER FOCUS on (it may be health & wellness) Because I've seen the results that I can produce when I'm passionate about what I'm doing, just trying to find the right vehicle. I am considering getting into rental properties in real estate due to the passive/residual income opportunity. I began reading The Millionaire Real Estate Investor and through this forum found a great resource called www.InvestFourMore.com by a member who runs that website.

I'm always open to learning from and connecting with others. I have a website that's based on fitness/wellness/building my brand (www.JustincredibleFitness.com). I'm passionate about motivating other people, as with the MLM opportunity I gained priceless public speaking skills by speaking in front of hundreds of people. I just started working on a fitness e-book and inspirational book on how to overcome life challenges. Working to balance my time off work and use it wisely towards FastLane / wealth / network building activities.

My ideal vision would be a motivational speaker/author/fitness expert who travels the world hosting or talking at different conferences, adding value, direction, inspiration to others, and especially the youth who need it the most. I feel best when I'm working in cooperation with others towards a higher purpose/vision. In the next 10 years (at 35) I see myself being financially free/retired/young supportive Father, and living on purpose every single day. Being able to do what I want with who I want, and when I want is my driving motivation. One life to live, I'm focused on making it an epic journey!

Looking forward to connecting with other like-minds and building solid personal/business relationships with some of you!

Thanks for reading my fellow FastLaners :)

See you on the forum!

P.S. Whatever Set-Backs you're going through today can be used as a Set-Up for a COME-BACK! Stay focused.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for taking time to write such a great intro. We're not fans of MLM, but any success you have there will definitely translate to the Fastlane world.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Welcome. It is great that you are able to turn negative things that happen to you in your life into a positive. You will go far with your attitude.

Justincredible

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Oct 6, 2014
New Jersey
We're not fans of MLM, but any success you have there will definitely translate to the Fastlane world.

quick update: I have gotten to about Chapter 37 in the Audiobook as of this writing and have recently learned more about why MLM are not fast lane.... and it honestly has been the underlying factor of my reason for stopping that venture. I knew I wasn't in control. (even though I didn't want to say... it wasn't paying off!) When the company decided to switch comp plans, lots of my hard earned work had gone down the drain... *complete fast lane hitch hiker status where driver is in complete control* this left a very sour taste in my mouth...

I thought it was just a comp plan issue.... like you, I jumped into another MLM (which I wasn't passionate about as the first) and after a short month or two in, I lost my motivation and drive was never really there. So, being in debt, I went back to the drawing board and focused on getting a job.

I'm now understanding the components thanks to CENTS! Awesome stuff MJ. Also have been reflecting on many other points delivered in this book.

I bought the paperback copy but I realized that with my time schedule it would take me forever to get through the info, so I got the audio, and it's awesome cause you narrated it, and there's lots of content to chew on. :)

Oh yeah....and I just paid off all my credit card debt..... What an AMAZING Feeling !!!

Natasha Dao

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Nov 13, 2014
Hi Justincredible,

Thank you for sharing your many trials and tribulations of every entrepreneurs journey that has helped you explored your new and self-learning skills of various and great challenges (and yet more to come :)), but by finding positive experiences and better changes for your family lifestyle, particularly for your mum. In which is very endearing and courageous...many of the very successful entrepreneurs traits I believe are doing what they do is only in the coherent of foreseeing the deep underline purpose of their intention to help others, more than themselves...is impactful and meaningful as an entrepreneur.

Love your positive attitude and keep up the gr8 work :)

Natasha

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007