The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Got into argument with friend today

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
And it made me think because his perspective is almost complete opposite than mine on a lot of things. At this point I don't know if its because he is younger than me and hasn't had the same experience as me in life or what but im curious to know if there is anyone reading that can see where he is coming from and explain it to me.

We were arguing about what we think the future is going to be like his perspective is that essentially according to his gut feelings the world is going to get F*cked real hard one day like how back in the day how Hitler went crazy and whatnot.

I acknowledged that there have been a lot of fuked up shit that happened in the past, but historically the world is much more progressive right now (despite of all the really f*cked up stuff that happens) than it was back then. I supported my argument citing various examples of medieval practices that would occur frequently on a larger scale back a few centuries, and while that there are a lot of controversial things that go on these days such as drone attacks and ISIS, the impact on the volume was much more drastic back in the days and that statistically the world is becoming more peaceful. I also made an argument of how technology is making the world more progressive.

He argues that tech can be misused by a bad guy with the wrong intentions and can cause swift damage on a large scale. he basically has a doomsday theory on that the world is getting to the point where it will be easier to do a lot of damage by a single person. so I'm not quite sure on that because I never thought about it.

He also says that technology is growing so fast, that we are going to implode because of environmental damage. this made no sense to me so i had to ask him what he was talking about. he was mentioning how we won't be able to do something about global warming fast enough, and i was like that's not true we have engineers working on it and have been for a while. it also looks promising (future of green technology) as one of the leading issues, funding, will be likely resolved for many startups for various reasons. he then diverts and talks about he doesn't think it will be in time and other things of that nature.

idk man im just fkin confused. there's always two sides to every story, so i want someone to clear this up for me. what do you think?

cliffs:

-friend says he feels like world is getting worse
-i say it just seems like that but there is some evidence that suggests world is becoming more peaceful.
- says some bad guy can misuse rapid tech growth to F*ck over the whole world by creating some sort of apocalypse.
- i say thats a real big speculation and im not sure i can agree or disagree
- says humans wont be able to fix environmental problems quick enough and eventually meet our doom due to being destined to fail due to it being our "story"
- i need someone's opinion on whether some of the stuff he says is true or not and to also clear up misunderstandings i have

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sunscreen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 1, 2015
Ehhh. He may be exaggerating and being irrationally worried about some things but in term of global warming and climate change we are doing terribly. Green technology can only limit it so much and there will still be chemical processes that screw the environment to maintain the way our society is. We are doing nothing to reverse the changes we've already caused. It's an issue which oil companies have been aware of since the 70's and have intentionally kept it low profile, paying scientists etc. Only in the last few years has it really been talked about but it is probably an issue which will just be pushed down to the younger generations to face when he effects are more significant and basically irreversible.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Ehhh. He may be exaggerating and being irrationally worried about some things but in term of global warming and climate change we are doing terribly. Green technology can only limit it so much and there will still be chemical processes that screw the environment to maintain the way our society is. We are doing nothing to reverse the changes we've already caused. It's an issue which oil companies have been aware of since the 70's and have intentionally kept it low profile, paying scientists etc. Only in the last few years has it really been talked about but it is probably an issue which will just be pushed down to the younger generations to face when he effects are more significant and basically irreversible.

Yeah I am aware of that but my point was it wouldn't create a doomsday scenario. And who knows by the time we reach techological singularity we may have something that does reverse green house gas effects. That too is speculation but I feel that it is much more plausible than what said based off the trends of advancements.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
My guess is that your friend has never really done any engineering.

All engineering, even on a trivial scale, is conducted in teams. Something as "trivial" as the atomic bomb took thousands of people working over many years, and the expenditure of many many billions of dollars.

Likewise with all chemical and biological weapons.

Even designing firearms requires teams of engineers and testers.

Likewise for software engineering.

There is danger, but it is not from lone actors going rogue. The challenges are simply too great for a single person to surmount.

History has clearly demonstrated that large scale destruction can only come from centralized power.

Given the trends in the United States to move towards a more centralized authoritarian regime (judging by the popularity of Sanders and Trump), there is cause for concern.

But you have to ask, what difference does it make? Either we are going to face doomsday, in which case you better get cracking right now and build what you can while you can... or we won't, in which case you better get cracking right now and build what you can to last the rest of your lifetime.

It really makes no difference. It's mental masturbation. Let him have his opinion, and get back to work building your empire :)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
-i say it just seems like that but there is some evidence that suggests world is becoming more peaceful.
- says some bad guy can misuse rapid tech growth to F*ck over the whole world by creating some sort of apocalypse.
- says humans wont be able to fix environmental problems quick enough and eventually meet our doom due to being destined to fail due to it being our "story"
- i need someone's opinion on whether some of the stuff he says is true or not and to also clear up misunderstandings i have

The answer to your questions is:
"Feels" is a personal emotion and subject
Yes, anything is possible
Both are right
Nobody knows

Your arguments with him are basically you guys trying to predict the future.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
My guess is that your friend has never really done any engineering.

All engineering, even on a trivial scale, is conducted in teams. Something as "trivial" as the atomic bomb took thousands of people working over many years, and the expenditure of many many billions of dollars.

Likewise with all chemical and biological weapons.

Even designing firearms requires teams of engineers and testers.

Likewise for software engineering.

There is danger, but it is not from lone actors going rogue. The challenges are simply too great for a single person to surmount.

History has clearly demonstrated that large scale destruction can only come from centralized power.

Given the trends in the United States to move towards a more centralized authoritarian regime (judging by the popularity of Sanders and Trump), there is cause for concern.

But you have to ask, what difference does it make? Either we are going to face doomsday, in which case you better get cracking right now and build what you can while you can... or we won't, in which case you better get cracking right now and build what you can to last the rest of your lifetime.

It really makes no difference. It's mental masturbation. Let him have his opinion, and get back to work building your empire :)

Lol I wanted to tell him about this so bad but at that point he was getting fed up and wouldn't listen to me. I used to study engineering, so I have some insight on how the design process works but i was convinced he wouldn't understand.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
And it made me think because his perspective is almost complete opposite than mine on a lot of things. At this point I don't know if its because he is younger than me and hasn't had the same experience as me in life or what but im curious to know if there is anyone reading that can see where he is coming from and explain it to me.

We were arguing about what we think the future is going to be like his perspective is that essentially according to his gut feelings the world is going to get F*cked real hard one day like how back in the day how Hitler went crazy and whatnot.

I acknowledged that there have been a lot of fuked up shit that happened in the past, but historically the world is much more progressive right now (despite of all the really f*cked up stuff that happens) than it was back then. I supported my argument citing various examples of medieval practices that would occur frequently on a larger scale back a few centuries, and while that there are a lot of controversial things that go on these days such as drone attacks and ISIS, the impact on the volume was much more drastic back in the days and that statistically the world is becoming more peaceful. I also made an argument of how technology is making the world more progressive.

He argues that tech can be misused by a bad guy with the wrong intentions and can cause swift damage on a large scale. he basically has a doomsday theory on that the world is getting to the point where it will be easier to do a lot of damage by a single person. so I'm not quite sure on that because I never thought about it.

He also says that technology is growing so fast, that we are going to implode because of environmental damage. this made no sense to me so i had to ask him what he was talking about. he was mentioning how we won't be able to do something about global warming fast enough, and i was like that's not true we have engineers working on it and have been for a while. it also looks promising (future of green technology) as one of the leading issues, funding, will be likely resolved for many startups for various reasons. he then diverts and talks about he doesn't think it will be in time and other things of that nature.

idk man im just fkin confused. there's always two sides to every story, so i want someone to clear this up for me. what do you think?

cliffs:

I like you, bro.

But I do not like this post.

It is a meandering mess of mental sloppiness masquerading as deep inquiry.

My point is that the questions and problems you contemplate are studied by scholars, in respective fields... way, way, way beyond you.

You could easily look up the empirical data to solve your pointless debate.

So pointless.

Yet utterly time-consuming.

Do you want to debate about what's happening in the world (especially when you don't have a motherfuckin' clue), or do you want to make what's happening to the world?

Find a hustle. Stick to it so hard that you recognize how precious time is, and that you would never waste a valuable chunk of time on an argument with an uninformed moron, about a meaningless subject.

We millennials.

We love to philosophize.

How much did that debate make you?

How much closer to your goal did that debate get you?

We love to debate.

We partake in mental masturbation.

We love to quote dead guys.

Nietzsche.

Sun-Tzu.

We love to contemplate the words of the ancient philosophers from centuries and millennia ago, regarding debates on the topic of the origin of the universe, regarding tried-and-true methods of strategy, that extend to warfare, games, and business.

We get ourselves entangled in our own platitudes, sometimes so much that we forget to follow them and truly apply them.

Where were your 48 Laws in this moment?

Say less than necessary, brother.

In a sales pitch, say little, and let the client do the talking.

In life, say nothing to dumb people, and try not to let the stupidity spewing from their mouths into your ears, infecting your brain.

Win with action, brother.

Don't debate about the state of the world.

It is what it is.

Do something
about it.

Bro, I GET IT.

Trust me, I get it.

I've been where you were, typing that post, pissed the F*ck off over the yammering of some slow laner.

So you came here to blow off steam, among fellow...

Fellow what?

Fellow guys who take action.

Those are the ones you relate most with.

The guys you know for a fact that are taking action, so much so that...

They don't entertain this kind of crap in their lives.

Eventually, you cut out all of this bullshit.

And that's when you really start achieving something.

Last edited:

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
The answer to your questions is:
"Feels" is a personal emotion and subject
Yes, anything is possible
Both are right
Nobody knows

Your arguments with him are basically you guys trying to predict the future.

Youre right argument is retarded lol

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
I like you, bro.

But I do not like this post.

It is a meandering mess of mental sloppiness masquerading as deep inquiry.

My point is that the questions and problems you contemplate are studied by scholars, in respective fields... way, way, way beyond you.

You could easily look up the empirical data to solve your pointless debate.

So pointless.

Yet utterly time-consuming.

Do you want to debate about what's happening in the world (especially when you don't have a motherfuckin' clue), or do you want to make what's happening to the world?

Find a hustle. Stick to it so hard that you recognize how precious time is, and that you would never waste a valuable chunk of time on an argument with an uninformed moron, about a meaningless subject.

We millennials.

We love to philosophize.

How much did that debate make you?

How much closer to your goal did that debate get you?

We love to debate.

We partake in mental masturbation.

We love to quote dead guys.

Nietzsche.

Sun-Tzu.

We love to contemplate the words of the ancient philosophers from centuries and millennia ago, regarding debates on the topic of the origin of the universe, regarding tried-and-true methods of strategy, that extend to warfare, games, and business.

We get ourselves entangled in our own platitudes, sometimes so much that we forget to follow them and truly apply them.

Where were your 48 Laws in this moment?

Say less than necessary, brother.

In a sales pitch, say little, and let the client do the talking.

In life, say nothing to dumb people, and try not to let the stupidity spewing from their mouths into your ears, infecting your brain.

Win with action, brother.

Don't debate about the state of the world.

It is what it is.

Do something
about it.

Bro, I GET IT.

Trust me, I get it.

I've been where you were, typing that post, pissed the F*ck off over the yammering of some slow laner.

So you came here to blow off steam, among fellow...

Fellow what?

Fellow guys who take action.

Those are the ones you relate most with.

The guys you know for a fact that are taking action, so much so that...

They don't entertain this kind of crap in their lives.

Eventually, you cut out all of this bullshit.

And that's when you really start achieving something.

Understood bro

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Im just worried some ancient trillionaire elitists might refuse to leave this world without mucking it up for the rest of us.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.