The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google Chromecast

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So as most of you know, I am a huge Google fan.

As an extension of that, I recently picked up a Google Chromecast.

chromecast-dongle-theverge-1_1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

I never use it.

I know there are a few Chromecast fans here, like @LightHouse

What do you use the Chromecast for?

Most of my televisions have smart functions built into them, like YouTube, etc... but I rarely if ever use those on-screen apps.

If I am on my Chromebook, watching a video or what ever, why would I want to broadcast that to my television?

If you have a Chromecast and use it, what do you use it to do?

I am now thinking about getting one of the Amazon fire sticks. We just re-upped our Amazon Prime membership for another year, and I think there is likely a ton of content we should be using from Amazon prime. I also should be reading way more of the Kindle books that you can borrow for free with the Amazon prime membership.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
There is going to be an NFL game this year that is only available online. I guess that would be a good candidate to stream through chrome cast. Also, as I was thinking about this this morning I realized I could stream horse races that I watch on my mobile devices.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
And of course there is Netflix, for parties at home, i use the Vevo app or Songza

Last edited:

WickedFire

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 30, 2012
New York, NY
I got all excited about it, bought it when it first came out... and like most of my TV stuff, I think I tried using it once, and because nothing in my apartment is ever simple (or my life for that matter.. lol) so I couldn't even get it to work. Had one of my sperg hackers come over and try to figure it out, and he devised some ridiculously complex way of connecting it and getting it to stream "securely" --- ahhhh F*ck it.

So it's just sitting next to the plasma, with the Roku that's still in it's box too. Say... anyone want a Roku??

I use Amazon Instant Video and Prime for... everything. And Netflix sometimes. But my go to is Amazon. I've funded at least three full college educations with all the cash I've spent there. Kindles, Fire, even the FireTV thing (still in it's box too.. damnit..).

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Come on, i am the worst techie person eveeeeerrrr ( i begged my ex to come install a dvd player ) BUT chromcast was so easy to install ( with an Ipad anyway )
I am a big fan of my Chromcast .... There is even an app for a fire place imitation ! How cool is

WickedFire

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 30, 2012
New York, NY
Come on, i am the worst techie person eveeeeerrrr ( i begged my ex to come install a dvd player ) BUT chromcast was so easy to install ( with an Ipad anyway )
I am a big fan of my Chromcast .... There is even an app for a fire place imitation ! How cool is

I totally hear ya and agree too... hell, my TV is a 'smart' aka connected one... and yet.. it just doesn't work that way because of security and privacy issues that I have to follow. My sperg guy gave me this whole long spiel about how I'm probably compromising global security by using Chromecast etc etc (the mistake was having him touch any of this)...

I refuse to use or buy Apple products. But Kindle is good! Just.. not near my TV apparently, unless I use the HDMI thingy.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I bought an amazon firetv.....hacked it and installed xbmc. Between that and one of the providers like netflix/hulu/amazon prime, pretty much have everything covered.....except for the damn oprah winfrey network shows that my wife loves. No techies watch OWN, therefore, none of the content gets pushed out online.....booooo !!

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Im considering getting one to watch Netflix/other stuff on my tv, as I multitask often so itd be nice to watch something on tv id need on my computer so i can still use my dual monitors. Also for downloaded movies, etc

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You are watching netflix or a long youtube video on your phone or tablet... You realize your tv is in front of you, hit a button and it moves to the big 60" tv!

Also great when there are 4 people trying to watch a funny video and you realize you can just put it on the big screen.

The beauty of it is that you dont need to turn on your tv and find the video or start netflix, you can just seamlessly move your video from your phone to the tv in one button.

Michael1359

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 8, 2014
I love mine and use it often for Netflix, or when streaming a show from an online source like CBS, ESPN, etc. I like the ability to stream any video from my laptop or tablet to my TV.

Out of destruction rises opportunity. Never, ever give up.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
I have one. I rarely use it. I use my fire tv daily. I think I've actually watched the Chromecast screensaver more than I've actually used the Chromecast. Those are some good pictures.

Julio Andres

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Dec 9, 2014
I'm a heavy user of Chromecast, I think is one of my best purchases I've made. I don't have a TV, just a cool extra monitor with the Chromcast on the HDMI port. I used to watch Netflix, all long youtube videos, like lectures or that stuff, also to stream music videos. Also you can stream tabs from chrome browser, so basically you can stream the internet to your tv.

With this app: http://www.getvideostream.com/ , you can stream any local media file.

Another great use is to stream presentations made in googledocs(with the browser). I used some times when friends come to my place and we present ideas to each other.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!