The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Goodbye To My First Online Company

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Hey guys, yesterday was the day that I listed my first online company for sale. It's been a great learning experience and a fun run.

You can read almost every little detail about how I started this eCommerce store from scratch here (INSIDERS): https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/insiders-the-journey-begins-everday-hookah.46150/

To start the New Years off with 100% of my focus on one idea, I've decided to list it for sell on Flippa. I'm not going to lie, as time went on, I began to get less and less interested in this niche (which shows in the traffic and revenue reports). It might also have something to do with seeing opportunities that get me to my goal much faster

Nonetheless, it's still been fun. One more stepping stone closer to where I want to be in life.

Feel free to check out the listing on Flippa here:
https://flippa.com/3427458-ecommerce-store-with-45k-revenue-2-9k-list-12k-uniques-mo-1-nr

In the listing you can see the profit and loss report since the store was started, as well as google analytics information.

This forum helped me start this company, so it's only right that the forum gets to see it leave.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Ses

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 14, 2014
I am sorry if this does not fit into this thread, but how did you manage to use wordpress to accept orders with only a few clicks? (which plugins did you use?)

Good luck on selling your business!

Last edited:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Hope you get a good price and that you share your new business with us on the forum

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
If I could afford this I would buy it right now. Looks like it would be an awesome way to learn the ropes of ecommerce. Good luck

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
First and foremost, congratulations on your business! I hope your next one will be even better!

Unfortunately those graphs are not helping you at all. I would have tried to get your profit back up before selling your business (assuming you want to get a good price for it and not simply to get rid of it).

People don't care about how much potential the site has. They care about profit. When they see the site is going down in traffic and sales (the opposite of what you'd expect from a good business) they will be very skeptical and most likely won't bid (or they'll underbid). I think you'd be lucky if you got more than $1500 - $1600* for it the way it currently is.

edit*: upped the price by $1000 since I didn't see the $2k inventory initially

Last edited:

jmac

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 6, 2014
East Coast
@Darius Nice work and good luck with the sale!

I just passed this on to someone I know that sells Hookah products at their store in Jersey City NJ, maybe he'll be interested.

I am curious about the following:

-How many email subscribers do you have? (assuming over 2k since you pay for MailCheat(Chimp)).
-How frequently were you emailing the list?
-Why are your merchant fees so high? (over 15% of gross revenue in Nov. 2014).
-The only SEO you did was focus on quality blog posts and social media links? You didn't do any PR or guest blogging?
-Number of orders? AOV?

I have sold an Ecommerce business in the past as well and I think having crystal clear documentation on procedures would help the sale price. Maybe a document on how to check orders for Fraud so the next owner can avoid chargebacks would be reassuring (i.e., we learned from that). I also would check out EmpireFlippers or websiteproperties.com as brokers that would help you tighten up your description and package before you list it for sale to maximize the price. @Emanuel is right about profit being the most important thing. I had a Facebook page with over 1 million fans and "it's potential" had no value in selling my business, potential owners just wanted to know how much money we were making net profit per month.

I am new to the forum and am hoping I can show results just as you did with my participation. Thanks so much for sharing!

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Unfortunately those graphs are not helping you at all. I would have tried to get your profit back up before selling your business (assuming you want to get a good price for it and not simply to get rid of it).

I care more about getting rid of it, than what it sells for. By holding onto it and spending more time getting the profit back to the way it was, I would actually be losing money.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
@Darius Nice work and good luck with the sale!

I just passed this on to someone I know that sells Hookah products at their store in Jersey City NJ, maybe he'll be interested.

I am curious about the following:

-How many email subscribers do you have? (assuming over 2k since you pay for MailCheat(Chimp)).
-How frequently were you emailing the list?
-Why are your merchant fees so high? (over 15% of gross revenue in Nov. 2014).
-The only SEO you did was focus on quality blog posts and social media links? You didn't do any PR or guest blogging?
-Number of orders? AOV?

I have sold an Ecommerce business in the past as well and I think having crystal clear documentation on procedures would help the sale price. Maybe a document on how to check orders for Fraud so the next owner can avoid chargebacks would be reassuring (i.e., we learned from that). I also would check out EmpireFlippers or websiteproperties.com as brokers that would help you tighten up your description and package before you list it for sale to maximize the price. @Emanuel is right about profit being the most important thing. I had a Facebook page with over 1 million fans and "it's potential" had no value in selling my business, potential owners just wanted to know how much money we were making net profit per month.

I am new to the forum and am hoping I can show results just as you did with my participation. Thanks so much for sharing!

email subs: 2.9k
frequency: 1-2 a month (maybe)
Merchant fees in Nov: had my first real issue with fraud and chargebacks. To keep it simple, fees got added on.
SEO: I didn't really focus on SEO much. I just created a blog post every now and then, and worked on social media. I didn't focus on any link building (I think I experimented a little with this when I first created the company), pr, or guest blogging.
AOV- around $23-25. Number of orders total?

I talked to the guys at Empire Flippers & a few other brokers. They thought they could get low 4 - low 5 figures for it. The range was wide, the time frame in which it would have taken was too long.
The more time I spend on this company, the more money I lose (even if the company makes more profit). Got to make those +EV choices.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Good luck @Darius -- hope you get a decent number for the sale.

jmac

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 6, 2014
East Coast
@Darius Thanks for the details, looks like a good opportunity for someone to turn around from where it is now.

Is your next venture going to be E-Commerce? Best of luck with it.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
@Darius Thanks for the details, looks like a good opportunity for someone to turn around from where it is now.

Is your next venture going to be E-Commerce? Best of luck with it.

I doubt my next one will, but the one after that probably will :)

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
I care more about getting rid of it, than what it sells for.
Then why the $15 000 buy it now price? That's nowhere near what it's worth in its current condition.

Good luck on your next one!

Last edited:

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Then why the $15 000 buy it now price? That's nowhere near what it's worth in it's current condition.

It looks nice when viewing the listing from a category page.
Look for my site: https://flippa.com/websites/most-active

The BIN price doesn't hold much weight when you don't set a reserve (As long as 1 person bids, it will get sold to the highest bidder at the end of the auction).

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Also, this is not a thread of me trying to sell my company on here.

This is meant to show a beginning and end.
As well as show anybody who's unsure of what to start or what to do, to just get in the game. Experience trumps reading all day.

Something I learned from Billy, that proved itself true again recently, is to "Get in the game and start playing. Once you get in the game, you can see opportunities that those sitting on the sidelines cannot see. Even if your initial plan does not succeed, you will have probably found more opportunities in the process" (paraphrased)

Ps: Sorry Billy if I butchered your quote lol

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
drop your shipping fees, SEO the mess out of it, Throw around some good marketing.

Maybe drop the merchant fees.

Easy business to start churning up good profit. This can be automated very easily. Hope you get a good sale out of it. Hope the buyer not only sees the leg work you are doing but what a few tweaks could do to this business 5 years from now.

empireflippers

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Mar 1, 2013
Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
Hey Darius,

As others have mentioned, the seriously declining revenue/profit won't work in your favor for this sale...not to mention you've chosen to sell at a pretty bad time of year. (Sub-$20K buyers are less frequent during holidays)

I've put this on our watch list to see what you end up with.

I understand the cost of waiting, but I do think it would have been a better move to sell in Jan/Feb. You would have either had the chance to bounce back with your revenue/profit or at least stabilize the earnings you do have over the last couple of months.

I do think you could have listed this with brokers at right around $10K, but probably would have had to accept a reduced over. (Probably $7K - $8K on the sale) As you've mentioned, it wouldn't have been quite as quick/easy as some other listings, most likely. It's possible it would have sold within a month, but I'm guessing 1-3 months would have been more likely.

I think your listing is well-written and admire your interest in listing at such a low starting price with no reserve! A ballsy move that will definitely get more eyeballs to your listing.

Keep posting in other forums you think might have buyers for this one. Giving Flippa some help in attracting some buyers might sneak in a few extra bids...and extra value to your ultimate sales price.

Best of luck, man!

Justin
Empire Flippers

HighestVantage

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Dec 13, 2014
Ukiah, CA
This was the first post I've viewed as a member and it's really inspiring to see a post about coming full circle. It's great that time spent on this is losing money to you now.

FoxFire21

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Sep 11, 2013
Kentucky
I just burned a half hour on your site haha. Very cool hope the sale goes well. Good luck on your future ventures.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Hey Darius,

As others have mentioned, the seriously declining revenue/profit won't work in your favor for this sale...not to mention you've chosen to sell at a pretty bad time of year. (Sub-$20K buyers are less frequent during holidays)

I've put this on our watch list to see what you end up with.

I understand the cost of waiting, but I do think it would have been a better move to sell in Jan/Feb. You would have either had the chance to bounce back with your revenue/profit or at least stabilize the earnings you do have over the last couple of months.

I do think you could have listed this with brokers at right around $10K, but probably would have had to accept a reduced over. (Probably $7K - $8K on the sale) As you've mentioned, it wouldn't have been quite as quick/easy as some other listings, most likely. It's possible it would have sold within a month, but I'm guessing 1-3 months would have been more likely.

I think your listing is well-written and admire your interest in listing at such a low starting price with no reserve! A ballsy move that will definitely get more eyeballs to your listing.

Keep posting in other forums you think might have buyers for this one. Giving Flippa some help in attracting some buyers might sneak in a few extra bids...and extra value to your ultimate sales price.

Best of luck, man!

Justin
Empire Flippers

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the advice. I talked to Mike last week about the site. He gave some good/similar insight as well.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Sold! - $3k

Ridiculous I learned so much from this whole process from beginning to end.

Could I have sold it for more if I held onto and spent more time growing it? Possibly.
Could I have listed it at a better time of year? Possibly.
Is 3k a life changer? Nope.

But none of that matters as much as the education I've received from it.
I feel like I got paid to learn how to make more money. It's amazing.

Go out and do something! It gets better the more you do it.

I'll make sure the next company I sell is more appealing with numbers ;)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

andrew m

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 29, 2014
dumb question, did you have trouble authenticating the buyers age when selling them? Generally you have to be 18 to buy anything hookah/smoke related. Wasn't sure if you would be held accountable for something like thing

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.