The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting From Newbie Author To Freedom

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
This is a bit of delayed progress thread which I had intended to start a few weeks ago but was delayed what with writing my second book. Ok, let's get started...

Motivation:

I think everyone on the forum is in agreement that we're all looking, and working toward, the 'better life' - you know, the one where we pick and chose how we live our lives on a day to day basis; how we forge a new future and what we can teach our friends and families about shaping life on our terms.

For me, this means moving away from working for a company where managers more senior to me effectively dictate the definition of success (yeah, I know that's subjective but those are my feelings).

My life has many strands: skipped university because it was "just another four years at school", joined the army, traveled the world, had children, did some crappy jobs and now in a relatively senior management position but not particularly impressed with what my company defines as a successful career. To be fair, I've blazed a trail since I left the forces about ten years ago and you could describe my relative success as a good example of how to get on in life but the job I did as a soldier focused on the 'unrelenting pursuit of excellence' - so here I am!

As far back as I can remember, I've wanted to be an author - not just any author, a hugely successful author. In my youth, I did dabble with writing books but the barrier to entry made gaining any traction nigh on impossible without having the right contacts. The web has opened up a whole new world of opportunities for us all.

Fast Forward:

I've written one book and published via KDP. In the first week, it sold 398 copies but sadly there were reviews (not a massive concern but would be good to get a general feel for how it was received). I don't check my stats very often as I place more emphasis on the 'doing' and feedback. The first book is a 148 page novella that took me several months to write due to the inefficient way in which I was working (500 - 1,000 words per day written on an ad-hoc basis).

I now schedule my time and write between 2,000 and 3,000 words per day. This has been achieved by fixing 3 - 4 thirty three minute blocks of writing time into my day and sticking to the outline that I have written for book two. This is an approach I will be sticking to in future. Does it always work? No, but on some days you simply have to run with it.

Book two has been in progress for a month now and the last two chapter should be completed by Tuesday. Then it's time to go into editing mode before sending the book to my friend for proof reading.

The Future Is Not Fixed

So, what happens when book two is complete? Then it's time to try a another genre as I want to test a couple and see which one suits my style.

Having read Held for Ransom's self-publishing thread, I agree that producing volume in markets with a deep pool of buyers is key to hitting the highs. Unlike HfR, I love writing - for me, and I'm sure others here will agree - words are beautiful. They're also incredibly powerful (which HfR already knows given the sums he's currently earning as an author :) ). By constantly reading what other, successful authors are doing you can find out what works and how you can mold your writing style to meet the needs of the market. Simple mathematics, really.

What Now?

Constantly learn from the greats and improve, deliver, repeat.

I'll update on my progress in about a week (must fix that into my schedule :) )

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
In the first week, it sold 398 copies

:driving: Fastlane onramp dead ahead.

Incredible results, wow. Did you do any promotion or did it just take off on its own? Share if you feel like it! In either case, terrific job.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Hi HfR,
No, I didn't do any promotion at all. I just sold. In the third week, a few friends shared it amongst social networking groups but, strangely, didn't do much for sales. I've read what you wrote in your mammoth post and I agree that a large back catalogue is the best way forward.

CO, thanks. Whilst I am pleased there's a voice in the back of my mind that asks, 'Why didn't it sell more?' Without the feedback in the form of reviews, I'm floundering a bit. That said, I've had no returns so I'm guessing my writing must be ok.

I'm going to keep my genre, pen name, etc to myself for now as I'd like to see how things go. Once I've chosen my preferred genre, I'll pass on the details.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Actually, on a sidenote, I'm glad you replied to my post, HfR. I had written a large portion of my book but was floundering with indecision. It was your post that helped to get me moving again :).

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I agree with others. Those are some AMAZING numbers for your first week. Congratulations, and welcome to the forum!

It's obvious you're doing something very right. It's great to see, too, that you have a wide array of life experiences. I think that will serve you well as you go forward, because you've actually lived life, not just read about it or saw it on TV.

Regarding reviews, some of us here on the forum leave Amazon reviews for each other's work. Mostly, we do this behind the scenes via private messages in the interest of keeping our pen names private. Once you feel comfortable, that might be worth looking into. If you want, feel free to send me a private message, and I'd be happy to post a review, and might ask for one in return once I have my new pen name up and running. :)

I've also had reviews from friends and family. Not a lot, but enough so my stuff doesn't feel naked. Of course, I've been writing kid's books, so I can be a little more upfront. My next pen name, I doubt I'll be sharing with very many people I know in real life.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Hi ChickenHawk, yes, I will be interested in feedback from other members and I'll probably ask for when my second book goes live.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Congratulations!

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Hi Rawr,
Thank you. I've been lurking and reading your posts as well - some of your writing has been really motivational.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Ah, the irony! No sooner had I said that there were no reviews on my book than one pops up in Amazon.com. It was pretty succinct - liked the book, waiting for part two - but gave me a little boost. As HfR has said, the amazon reviews aren't a great indicator of how well a book will sell but the feedback has, to a small degree, validated the work I'm doing.

Time to crack on and get book 2 finished for my one fan :).

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Welcome to the group & congrats!!

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Ok, book two finished a little ahed of schedule. Forty thousand words in a month (was only managing about five hundred words a day at the start but hit an average of three thousand a day in the last couple of weeks). Cover design request will be sent off tomorrow and I'll spend the weekend editing. Once done, the book will go for proof reading - which normally takes a week - and then should be good to go.

Next update will be on Sunday and I'm going to get my thoughts on the whole process down in post.

A Sunderland

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 26, 2013
Great work

Well done on the first week's downloads. I'd love a little bit of insight on how you achieved it as well.

Good luck with the new book

Tony

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Well done on the first week's downloads. I'd love a little bit of insight on how you achieved it as well.

Good luck with the new book

Tony

Hi Tony,
To be honest, there's nothing to tell - I did no promotion - simply published and let it run. That said, I do have some thoughts as to how we can all improve our writing and bring in more buyers and I'll be updating this post tomorrow.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Time for an update, as promised.

I've now started editing my second book. It's just over forty thousand words but I get the impression that the edit process will probably swell the pages a little as I've noticed my descriptions need to tweaked to give the readers more of a story to immerse themselves in.

I think this piece of work will be complete by the end of next week and then it's off for editing but I'm not going to ramble on about this. Instead, here are some thoughts to occurred to me during the course of writing my second book:

Book Length
I know there are exceptions but, in most genres the books that have long terms sales value seemed to be longer ( 220+ pages). This is not an absolute given but, from browsing the pages of Amazon, this is what I've noticed. To test this, I'll be writing books that do and don't cross this threshold and see what the outcomes are.

Writing Speed
At first, I was writing for an hour+ per sitting. Sometimes I'd get five hundred words written and other times over one thousand. I think the reason behind the inconsistent numbers was procrastination i.e. I've got an hour to do this so I'll just sit here a while longer and think about writing. To combat this I cut my writing time down to four thirty three minute blocks. With a shorter working window I know I have to get on with writing (I'm very strict - when the time goes off at thirty three minutes, I stop writing) which works well for me. Now I"m hitting highs of three thousand words per day.

Reviews
As HfR said is his monster post, don't get hooked on the reviews you receive if your books are selling well. If, on the other hand, you're getting low sales volume and junk reviews then maybe it's time to read what buyers are saying, after all - we want lots of rabid fans who repeatedly buy our books which they excitedly tell their friends and family about. But even if your books are doing well, negative reviews can be your best friend - but not the reviews of your books.

If you're looking to make a break into a new genre go and seek out the books that got crappy reviews and then find a way to write a book that fills all those gaps.

Marketing
I've been mulling this one over for a few days but finally decided to pull the trigger: writing fiction in niche forums is a great way to get exposure. Let's take erotica - how many adult forums can you find by tapping a few phrases into Bing or Google? I'd say lots. Next step, sign up, submit your short stories and mention the fact that you have an author page on Amazon.

I know this idea might not sit well with some members of the TMF but this isn't about ethics or looking the priest in the eye on Sunday - it's about building a business that brings the rewards for both ourselves and our families. This approach can be tweaked for just about any niche.

Anyway, just a few ideas. I'll update again on Wednesday.

andynathan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 28, 2013
Love your detailed review process. So often we work on a project, and do not track what works and what does not. Using this forum is a great way to do that.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
'If you're looking to make a break into a new genre go and seek out the books that got crappy reviews and then find a way to write a book that fills all those gaps."

Wow, I missed that, but what a simple way to find out what people really want! I'm going to set aside some time to do that right away, while I still have time to incorporate what I learn into my WIP.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
"At first, I was writing for an hour+ per sitting. Sometimes I'd get five hundred words written and other times over one thousand. I think the reason behind the inconsistent numbers was procrastination i.e. I've got an hour to do this so I'll just sit here a while longer and think about writing. To combat this I cut my writing time down to four thirty three minute blocks. With a shorter working window I know I have to get on with writing (I'm very strict - when the time goes off at thirty three minutes, I stop writing) which works well for me. Now I"m hitting highs of three thousand words per day."

Great stuff Jim. Links in with this popular article on improving one's writing speed;
http://thisblogisaploy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/how-i-went-from-writing-2000-words-day.html

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
"At first, I was writing for an hour+ per sitting. Sometimes I'd get five hundred words written and other times over one thousand. I think the reason behind the inconsistent numbers was procrastination i.e. I've got an hour to do this so I'll just sit here a while longer and think about writing. To combat this I cut my writing time down to four thirty three minute blocks. With a shorter working window I know I have to get on with writing (I'm very strict - when the time goes off at thirty three minutes, I stop writing) which works well for me. Now I"m hitting highs of three thousand words per day."

Great stuff Jim. Links in with this popular article on improving one's writing speed;
http://thisblogisaploy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/how-i-went-from-writing-2000-words-day.html

Hi santa, yeah - I saw that post some time ago and I used Rachel's steps to improve my writing speed. I actually bought the ebook as well (it was only 77p) but, to be honest, there's nothing above and beyond the post that makes it stand out as a 'must read'.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Editing complete. This took a little longer than anticipated as I rewrote some of the chapters to make them more descriptive and give the reader just enough information to form the mental images they're most comfortable with. The process added about four thousand words to the book so I'm quite pleased.

Cover design is back and I'm pretty happy with it. I've decided to keep the colours consistent across my first three books as I see it as a form of branding for my pen name.

Book is going for proof reading tomorrow and should be ready for publishing next Friday. Then I'm going to use the weekend to plan book three. With my recent improvements in writing speed I'm going to be more ambitious and aim to complete a sixty thousand word book in twenty days.

Another thought that came to mind as I wrote that last paragraph: Speed. Building a decent sized catalogue and creating a fast lane to wealth we need to pick up the pace. The faster we can deliver a large selection of books for our present and future fans the quicker we'll ramp up our earnings. Obviously, we don't want to compromise on quality but I personally feel that, by planning your book in advance, we create both quality and quantity.

Next update on Sunday.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Thanks, Laurn. I have read about the Pomodoro Method but wanted to find something that would 'click' with me. The thirty minutes just feels right, for some strange reason.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Reviews
If you're looking to make a break into a new genre go and seek out the books that got crappy reviews and then find a way to write a book that fills all those gaps.
Marketing
I've been mulling this one over for a few days but finally decided to pull the trigger: writing fiction in niche forums is a great way to get exposure. Let's take erotica - how many adult forums can you find by tapping a few phrases into Bing or Google? I'd say lots. Next step, sign up, submit your short stories and mention the fact that you have an author page on Amazon.

Fantastic information! Never thought of linking my amazon author page to forums!

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
The second book I've written the thriller genre is now with the proof reader. My designer has come back with a first draft for the cover and it's looking pretty good.

This weekend, I spend some time reading reading erotica. Atually, when I say "reading" I mean skimming. To me, most of the books seem to have a similar theme, descriptions and anticipated ending e.g. adult romance readers expect a happy ending (not always true, I know). I think the key here is to find a believable storyline - the kind of thing that happens to all of us from time to time - and stretch it until it's just teetering on the verge of believable and then weave your magic. Ultimately, as authors we are expected to push readers to the edge and then pull them back at the last moment. In return, they will suspend disbelief and hang in there.

So, after some research, I jotted down a credible storyline - just a skeleton - by starting at the end. Then I filled in the beginning and the middle. Like I said, this just a framework. I'll start working out the chapters this coming week. By Friday I should have completed the full outline and will start writing next weekend. I'll also be using this week to create some 'shorts' to post in adult forums (joined a selection of the more interesting adult forums this weekend - they have some greate posts that can be used as the basis for erotic books).

Next update on Wednesday.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Ok, Wednesday update time:

Thriller Book Number Two
My proof reader has done a sterling job and has read over half of my second book (in the thriller genre). Cover is ready and, hopefully, this will be published on Saturday (more on this below). The next book in the thriller category is going to be longer - about 60,000 words - and I think that, now I'm averaging three thousand words per day, I can complete the book in under a month.

Planning
I spent some time on Monday and Tuesday planning out the first few chapters of my next book (dipping my toe into erotica) but got a little carried away. Instead of using the whole of this week to create a skeleton framework for the story, I jumped in and started writing and ended up with the first two chapters written (just a touch under five thousand words) - hello 'flow state' :).

Forums
I had a look around the web and found some more adult forums where you can submit fiction/short stories. After signing up, I gave a quick intro and then moved on. I'm going to put together a 1,000 word story, or two, and submit them as posts and add my Amazon profile as a signature link.

Other Publishing Sites
I've also been investigating other publishing platforms like Kobo, iBooks, etc and will be formatting all my books for these over the weekend.

That's all for now. Another update on Saturday.

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Tip: Use Draft2Digital to push out to all the sellers except Amazon and B&N... Kobo is hardly worth it right now with their indie debacle, and unless you have an Apple computer you can't pub on iTunes directly anyway.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Tip: Use Draft2Digital to push out to all the sellers except Amazon and B&N... Kobo is hardly worth it right now with their indie debacle, and unless you have an Apple computer you can't pub on iTunes directly anyway.

Thanks, some great tips there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.