The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Game Development Fastlane?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TorkXZero

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 25, 2015
I joined this forum not too long ago after reading TMF . I've been contemplating potential fastlane roads, and I believe I've settled on one. From what i know, Game Development in and of itself isn't a good fastlane road for wealth because of the massive amount of time it takes to create games. I'm thinking I can solve this problem by Creating my own game company. That way I could have others spend time doing all the tedious work of creating the games, while I simply create the concepts and stories for them (which will make more efficient use of my creative talents).

Now I know It takes money to hire programmers, graphic artists, animators, etc. That's why I don't plan on Expanding the company until I've established myself as a Developer. I will have do do all the heavy lifting at first, but as my fan base and customers grow I will have the opportunity to bring in more and more people under me. When I grow my company in this fashion It's bound to reach the point where my income will no longer be attached directly to my time.

So Is this a viable fastlane road map or a pipe dream relying on too many uncontrollable variables? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Hey TorkxZero, welcome to the forum!

I've also been going down this same road recently, the mobile game industry specifically.

I'm not sure what type of games you plan on making (epic 3D games like the Final Fantasy Series or simpler games like mobile games), but from what I know, it is a Fastlane field if executed correctly and expanded.

I have seen it's very hard, but I believe ultimately I know it can be done with enough trial and error. Good luck with your journey man!

TorkXZero

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks! I plan on creating all kinds of games in the future. I have quite a few ideas, but for now I'm trying to get into mobile development because
A: I think it would be easier to ship my more simple game concepts and,
B: So many people own smartphones that it would be foolish not to try and get some traction through that market.

Good luck to you as well!

MendeGames

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 26, 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
Do you already have a knowledge of coding and mobile apps? If so I believe this could definitely be a viable option, but if you don't there may be better ways for you to go about this. Learning enough about coding can take hundreds of hours, especially to make a succesful app. If your end goal is not to be an app developer, think of ways you could make money while developing other skills that would help you in your future business. For example, if you spent say 100 hours building an importing business, you would learn the ins and outs of running your own business and at the same time make money to be able to hire a coder, as apposed to spending 100 hours learning how to code, which is something that will no longer be useful to you once you have other coders.
That is just my opinion, if coding is really something you want to learn and not something you are just learning to start a business, then go for it.

TorkXZero

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 25, 2015
I realize that my fixation on Game Development is purely selfish, and according to TMF that isn't a good reason to go into business, but it's the only think I could think of that I could take immediate action on. I'm still keeping my ears and eyes open for potential opportunities, but I don't what to do nothing in the meantime. What should I do?

My endgame is simply to be able to bring the game ideas I have in my head into existence, One way or another. I honestly think my strengths lie more on the creative side of things. I'm probably better suited to be a writer. Learning to code is simply a means to an end for me. I really want to be the guy up top telling the coders what game mechanics to implement. If I knew faster route to that end, I would gladly take it, no matter how difficult. So I guess my next question should be, what is a good first step towards this goal?

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
I realize that my fixation on Game Development is purely selfish, and according to TMF that isn't a good reason to go into business, but it's the only think I could think of that I could take immediate action on. I'm still keeping my ears and eyes open for potential opportunities, but I don't what to do nothing in the meantime. What should I do?

My endgame is simply to be able to bring the game ideas I have in my head into existence, One way or another. I honestly think my strengths lie more on the creative side of things. I'm probably better suited to be a writer. Learning to code is simply a means to an end for me. I really want to be the guy up top telling the coders what game mechanics to implement. If I knew faster route to that end, I would gladly take it, no matter how difficult. So I guess my next question should be, what is a good first step towards this goal?
Hey bud, pm me, maybe we can discuss this in details

juicemania

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 29, 2014
Indiana

If u want to stay with the mobile route then one option is to check out chupamobile and tweak some of their games to ur liking.

Mobile game development is a pretty tough market. Not saying you can't be successful at it, cuz u totally can. It's just tough because everybody is developing games these days.

Raindog

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 4, 2012
Far NW Chicago burbs
I joined this forum not too long ago after reading TMF . I've been contemplating potential fastlane roads, and I believe I've settled on one. From what i know, Game Development in and of itself isn't a good fastlane road for wealth because of the massive amount of time it takes to create games. I'm thinking I can solve this problem by Creating my own game company. That way I could have others spend time doing all the tedious work of creating the games, while I simply create the concepts and stories for them (which will make more efficient use of my creative talents).

Now I know It takes money to hire programmers, graphic artists, animators, etc. That's why I don't plan on Expanding the company until I've established myself as a Developer. I will have do do all the heavy lifting at first, but as my fan base and customers grow I will have the opportunity to bring in more and more people under me. When I grow my company in this fashion It's bound to reach the point where my income will no longer be attached directly to my time.

So Is this a viable fastlane road map or a pipe dream relying on too many uncontrollable variables? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Having worked in the industry for decades I can tell you firsthand it's a rough road. For every hit game there are thousands of failures. No offense, but people with video game concepts and stories are a dime a dozen. The real success, the real genius, and shot at a hit game is the "tedious work creating the games"...those day by day choices that get made shaping a bad, average or great game. I'm sure you've heard of Curt Schilling lost fortune story trying to build an MMO: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/07/38-studios-end-game/

That said it's not impossible. Start small and focus on mobile to keep costs down if you're going to go ahead...programmers, artists, etc. aren't cheap. Good luck, and check this site for ideas: www.gamasutra.com

TorkXZero

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 25, 2015
I want to be free to make my ideas into games without dependence on their success, and I could really do without all the coding business. Perhaps I should pursue another road to wealth. I just wish I knew what It was.

MendeGames

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 26, 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
I want to be free to make my ideas into games without dependence on their success, and I could really do without all the coding business. Perhaps I should pursue another road to wealth. I just wish I knew what It was.
Perhaps look for an internship at a game development company and see if you can work your way up to one of their think tanks.

TorkXZero

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 25, 2015
I'm not currently in college, I have no computer related experience and no portfolio to speak of. Are there really companies out there that would take someone like me as an intern?
If so could you point me in the right direction? I'll do what i can with Google and the like, but some help would be vastly appreciated .

juicemania

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 29, 2014
Indiana
Some of the best developers I know do not have any "formal" sw development education. Your best bet would be to use the resources available online and just start building stuff. Theres a shitload of free courses/tutorials out there to get you going. Check out github and go through some of the ios/android game projects on there. Start contributing to their projects. For instance, a lot of people need help with documentation and writing tests.

TorkXZero

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 25, 2015
I have found a few good tutorials online. Through those I've been slowly but surely learning java. I will definitely start building stuff, as it is really the only move I can make towards my goal right now. I just joined GitHub, and it looks real confusing but I'll figure it out. Will be contributing to projects before long. Thanks for the advice!

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I don't think there's anyway game dev is fastlane. Do it as a hobby, maybe find some friends, but don't mortgage your house. Going viral on mobile is a crap shoot and to build anything for mobile or pc will be very expensive. Especially because you aren't an amazing programmer or artist or sound effects guy etc.

MendeGames

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 26, 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
I would say it is still worth looking into finding an internship but it may not be the most guaranteed path for you. Keep on learning and you could end up with something great. Good luck!

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
I'd say game development can be "fastlane" to the extreme:

Minecraft’ creator Markus “Notch” Persson has just closed on a $70 million home on tony Hillcrest Drive in Beverly Hills.
The 23,000-square-foot, Contemporary-style home, with a wall of glass that provides a 280-degree view of the City of Angels and the Pacific Ocean below, triggered a bidding war between four buyers. Persson quickly decided he wanted the home, paid all cash, and closed in six days, according to the agents who sold him the property.

Persson, a 35-year-old Swedish video game designer, became a billionaire in September when he sold his company, Mojang, to Microsoft for $2.5 billion, as my colleaguesMax Jedeur-Palmgren and Ryan Mac reported in September. Persson only began to make a steady living when he became a video game programmer. He developed ‘Minecraft’ and released it in 2009...

edit source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erincar...ion-beverly-hills-contemporary-with-car-lift/

Last edited:

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I'm thinking I can solve this problem by Creating my own game company. That way I could have others spend time doing all the tedious work of creating the games, while I simply create the concepts and stories for them (which will make more efficient use of my creative talents).

You need to realize that the value you're offering here is in the financing of the game's creation and absolutely NOT in the "creating concepts and stories". Creating "concepts and stories" is in the game industry is pretty close to worthless. Every single game developer in the world has far, FAR more ideas about the next great game than could ever be executed on. If you're not actually executing on your ideas, your contribution is financial and organizational. That doesn't necessarily mean that you need to bankroll everything yourself, but you'll need be an amazing fundraiser to make that happen, and in that case, you'll still need to be able to sell your company based on the financials.

I want to be free to make my ideas into games without dependence on their success, and I could really do without all the coding business.

I don't want to sound too harsh, but this is the absolute worst possible line of thinking you could possibly have. If you don't care about the outcome, then you have a hobby, not a business. If you don't want to deal with code, you need to be able to bankroll people who do (or make analog games). It sounds like you just want to will your ideas into existence without being hindered by that whole reality thing. You need to take some steps into reality or else this is just one giant daydream (just like it is for the millions of other people who think they have the "greatest game idea evar!").

So I guess my next question should be, what is a good first step towards this goal?
You want to stop daydreaming and take a step toward your goal? Release a game. This week. No bullshit excuses about not knowing how to code or not having any money. Just do it. The tutorials are out there. You can absolutely go from scratch to a released (albeit terrible) game in one week. Even if it's just something like a tetris clone, at least then you'll have stopped daydreaming and started executing. (and besides, tetris is better than like 95+% of games anyway...)

TorkXZero

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 25, 2015
You need to realize that the value you're offering here is in the financing of the game's creation and absolutely NOT in the "creating concepts and stories". Creating "concepts and stories" is in the game industry is pretty close to worthless. Every single game developer in the world has far, FAR more ideas about the next great game than could ever be executed on. If you're not actually executing on your ideas, your contribution is financial and organizational. That doesn't necessarily mean that you need to bankroll everything yourself, but you'll need be an amazing fundraiser to make that happen, and in that case, you'll still need to be able to sell your company based on the financials.

I don't want to sound too harsh, but this is the absolute worst possible line of thinking you could possibly have. If you don't care about the outcome, then you have a hobby, not a business. If you don't want to deal with code, you need to be able to bankroll people who do (or make analog games). It sounds like you just want to will your ideas into existence without being hindered by that whole reality thing. You need to take some steps into reality or else this is just one giant daydream (just like it is for the millions of other people who think they have the "greatest game idea evar!").

You want to stop daydreaming and take a step toward your goal? Release a game. This week. No bullshit excuses about not knowing how to code or not having any money. Just do it. The tutorials are out there. You can absolutely go from scratch to a released (albeit terrible) game in one week. Even if it's just something like a tetris clone, at least then you'll have stopped daydreaming and started executing. (and besides, tetris is better than like 95+% of games anyway...)

Thank you for the kick in the a$$ Splok. My way of thinking and lack of action is what got me into my current situation in the first place. I've always had this problem, great plans, but no execution, and it's gotten me nowhere. Until I can create something concrete, I really am all talk. One week. I'll create my first game in one week. I'm getting off of the sidewalk no matter what. The next time I post will be to show my completed game.

Thanks again everyone.
See you all in seven days!

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
I tried to make a game all by myself one time. I spent 3 years and had to quit. I did not make a penny from all that. I think my mistake was first of all I made a me-too game and I tried to make a PC game that normally requires a big development team. I gave up on game programming after that. If I were going to make a game now, I would make a small, simple game for mobile devices. I would make a simple but engaging puzzle game like bejeweled (just as an example), so that it'd be a game that I really could make all by myself. Also I would avoid making a me-too game and I'd try to come up with a good, original game idea. Or even better, I'd just come up with a simple, amusing or useful mobile app. I'm all for small projects that don't take too freaking long. That way if you fail at least you didn't put too much time into it for nothing. Video games take a gigantic amount of work, far more than you'd imagine. I think there's tons of people who tried it and failed.

Last edited:

GreatestManEver

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 19, 2014
NYC

Good luck on your 7 day journey, let us know how it turns out.
After reading your posts, it looks to me like you need discipline, the book, No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline by Brian Tracy is one of my favorite books on discipline, it's worth a read.
It also looks to me like you want to take the journey, but you don't know what road of wealth you want to journey on, there are a lot of posts on the forum, that show you there journeys on different paths to wealth, some of them are worth a good read, may be it will give you ideas on what path you might want to take.

Rethagos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 25, 2014
Poland
Game Development is fastlane. Period. (still just an opinion)

Via convenient platforms of game distribution (Steam for example, or Google Play for android apps) you can present your games for a great mass of people. In addition, combining features from few games can result in an unique gameplay if you want to focus on that.

Sure, singlehanded development can be painful, but the Internet provides tutorials for nearly anything if lack of knowledge on subject is the greatest issue.
Even smaller games can get their bite from the cake of global wealth. Look @ "The Binding of Isaac" - $5 for a 300MB flash game. 2M units sold over 1,5 years. Add these up and you get pretty fastlane way to wealth.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012

That way I could have others spend time doing all the tedious work of creating the games, while I simply create the concepts and stories for them (which will make more efficient use of my creative talents).

AHAH

If only reality would instantly bend to my imagination. Life sure would be easy. I'd have instant gratification of being a creative genius, and I wouldn't have to do anything.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Game Development is fastlane. Period. (still just an opinion)

Via convenient platforms of game distribution (Steam for example, or Google Play for android apps) you can present your games for a great mass of people. In addition, combining features from few games can result in an unique gameplay if you want to focus on that.

Sure, singlehanded development can be painful, but the Internet provides tutorials for nearly anything if lack of knowledge on subject is the greatest issue.
Even smaller games can get their bite from the cake of global wealth. Look @ "The Binding of Isaac" - $5 for a 300MB flash game. 2M units sold over 1,5 years. Add these up and you get pretty fastlane way to wealth.
The Binding of Isaac was made by Edmund McMillen. It's not a smaller game, quite the opposite. It's an incredibly hyped product from a cult game designer.
Any creative medium can make you rich - if you are awesome and are ready to pay your dues.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
The Binding of Isaac was made by Edmund McMillen. It's not a smaller game, quite the opposite. It's an incredibly hyped product from a cult game designer.
Any creative medium can make you rich - if you are awesome and are ready to pay your dues.

Well, any game that one person can create is a "smaller" game considering the state of the market. Also, it's just as fair to point out the outlier indie successes in games as it is to point out any other successful startup. In either case, the important thing is to point out that it's possible (albeit highly unlikely) while not forgetting the decade or two of hard work and experience that made it possible.

Kreedos Phoenix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Nov 30, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I'm interested in following your progress here. As an artist/creator I'd say if this is something you want to do, pursue it. I've wanted and attempted to code my own game but I've lacked patience to endure coding. The need hasnt hit me in full force. I just enjoy focusing on the artistic side of things, which I feel I'm a master at/of.

When its time to move on a game, the more likely avenue will be to outsource a programmer. I do feel with the right style/appeal that gaming can definitely be a fastlane, especially if your hustle is on point.

Good luck

TorkXZero

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 25, 2015
I am proud to say that my 7 Day Game is complete. I had a few ideas, but in the end I decided on a 2D Platformer. Unfortunately It's only for android currently. I dub it "SoulBound".
I ended up having to animate the movements myself. I got all of the music for free at playonloop.com. Other than that I made everything.
I don't have money for a google play developers account right now, so anyone who wants to try it has to access this thread on a mobile device and download the ,apk from this link: https://www.mediafire.com/?2a662dvxxu733yv

Keep in mind this is my first actual "game".
Looking forward to you critique
If it's terrible please tell me.
Thanks!

Last edited:

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Grats on completing your first game! I'll give it a try in a bit. It's a pretty big jump going from having never coded to making your first game, so great work regardless of how it turned out. Now you just need to get it launched, fix all the problems that pop up, and repeat! :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.