The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Funded webapp SaaS

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Just starting a new thread about my new product coming out i've been working on for a while. Not going to share the link w/ the forum because it's not important :) Going to use this thread to keep myself accountable.
(previous thread was on e-commerce that was making $ but, just while I was working on this)

Random story:
I found my main developer for this project by finding out he was already working on a somewhat similar project and convinced him to quit and come work for me. Opportunity is everywhere, you just have to try.

How I've always got funding on all my past failures/these two startups:
Find investors in your industry
Stalk them
E-mail them/LinkedIn message them/ Get in contact however possible
Wait for response
then try and get a call and or meetup if they're local. Even if they're not interested they will generally be willing to meetup if you frame the conversation right. I've been told no many times but, every time I get told no- I still go for the meeting to make that connection & always follow up.

Right now were sitting at over 1k pre-signups (All from hard work) and just launched private beta.

Goal till public beta:

Create shareable content for social media everyday
Create a valuable blog post everyday/other day.
Increase our signups per day pre launch.

My guess is it's going to be around 1 month until we get our first $1 - Were just finishing up fixing some bugs users encountered and then adding 1 more feature set before public launch.

I also have an iPhone + Android app coming out that I think is going to be pretty big but, that's completely stealth right now and not going to be talking about it in this thread. (Also received funding for this)

A little about me: I've failed at least 3x in a big way so far. Many small failures as well which I don't really count because I didn't put enough effort into them.

Feedback from users trying out the product has been good so far. Were going to be charging around $20-25/mo

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Awesome man. I'll be following, especially as I'm also developing a SaaS product.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Current to do list:

• Identify influencers to share content w/ (currently our social sharing is not getting much reciprocation, other then on instagram)
  • Identify guest posting opportunities (Already done but, needs refinement)
  • Figure out how to get our blog subscribers to start sharing our damn content. It's B2B so it's not something they would share on FB but, we need to find a way to get them to share it. We have a high conversion rate on our blog because people like the content, the problem is they just wont share it!
  • Look for any potential partnerships
  • & keep posting.

Awesome man. I'll be following, especially as I'm also developing a SaaS product.

I'm going to follow yours as well! Let me know if you need any help with marketing / growth hacks... We have some pretty brilliant ones I've designed for our product that I expect to help us gain traction pretty fast after launch.

I'm pretty confident I can hit over 1k /monthly paying users with this product in the first year.

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Got a lot done today and still going

• Went through twitter/facebook accounts relevant to niche and identified all the common content they are sharing so we can create targeted content they would be interested in sharing

ping - @Iwokeup - give it a read, it's pretty good.

• Created an infographic template I can use to create infographics once a month and have one ready to publish in two days focusing on a new type of content based off the twitter research, experimenting to see if it results in more shares. (instead of focusing on content for our customer, focus on their targets, arm them with content for their customers that they want to share is the idea)

• Set bufferapp.com to schedule my tweets for a month as well as used hashtagify.me to find all relevant hashtags to include in tweets for maximum exposure. It's really nice being able to enter in my blogs feed and being able to tweet our articles with a single click as well as use their suggested content.

• Finished a blog post for tomorrow

• Working on our branding. I want to convey a message of people who use our product are people who try a little bit harder to be better... The best thing i've come up with so far is "Always improving" but, I don't like it. I also need to establish the brand voice for all the e-mails / content/ tweets /etc were sending out. Right now it's all pretty bland/random.

I put in a lot of time trying to come up with branding and when I was working out I finally had a great idea for it and I forgot it.... Spent probably 3+ hours working on this but, it's really important to figure out. I want people who use this product to fall in love with our messaging as much as the product.

Notes from the PDF
  • On Facebook, people share videos 12 times more than links and text posts combined, and people "like" photos twice as often as text updates.
  • Tweets that include a link to content are 86% more likely to be retweeted.
  • Sharing content should be the foundation of your social activities on LinkedIn

Last edited:

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
How I've always got funding on all my past failures/these two startups:
Find investors in your industry
Stalk them
E-mail them
Wait for response
LinkedIn message them
then get a call and or meetup if they're local. Even if they're not interested they will generally be willing to meetup if you frame the conversation right. I've been told no many times but, every time I get told no- I've still made a new connection.

Are you getting funding for projects in industries where you have no experience or track record... If so, could you please elaborate?

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Got a lot done today and still going

• Went through twitter accounts relevant to niche and identified all the common content they are sharing so we can create targeted content they would be interested in sharing

ping - @Iwokeup - give it a read, it's pretty good.

• Created an infographic template I can use to create infographics once a month and have one ready to publish in two days focusing on a new type of content based off the twitter research, experimenting to see if it results in more shares. (instead of focusing on content for our customer, focus on their targets, arm them with content they want to share is the idea)

• Set bufferapp.com to schedule my tweets for a month as well as used hashtagify.me to find all relevant hashtags to include in tweets for maximum exposure. It's really nice being able to enter in my blogs feed and being able to tweet our articles with a single click as well as use their suggested content.

• Finished a blog post for tomorrow

• Working on our branding. I want to convey a message of people who use our product are people who try a little bit harder to be better... The best thing i've come up with so far is "Always improving" but, I don't like it. I also need to establish the brand voice for all the e-mails / content/ tweets /etc were sending out. Right now it's all pretty bland/random.

Will update this post more later.

Some solid info in this post. Thanks bro. I'll take a look at that link tonight.

Edit: EXCELLENT post, man! Lots of info to get my company started. Please have some Rep

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Are you getting funding for projects in industries where you have no experience or track record... If so, could you please elaborate?

I have previous experience in one, not the other.

My track record is garbage, i'm an uneducated unsuccessful fool.

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Todays progress update:

• Published blog post -> Sharred on social media (Find relevant groups to your niche and post the content in every group, I post to 10 groups on Facebook and 11 on G+)

• Experimented with posting articles on LinkedIn (groups)... So far no results.

• E-mailed all our private beta users asking for more feedback

• Wrote a new blogpost -> New strategy -> Our readers aren't up to date with the topic were posting about so i'm just taking new relevant posts and completely re-writing them myself and targeting them to the niche (I don't use a single word from the post i'm copying, just the idea). Although they don't share this content, they subscribe and love it. Going to keep just doing this.

• Took a humorous image off pinterest and put on our social networks (as a test, we will create our own if it does well) Resized it for optimized instagram experience -> (640 x 640)... So far it's performing really well with lot's of people tagging their friends. I don't want this to be a 'fun' brand so I won't be doing any more humorous images and focusing on images of success that should produce the same results.
(Literally already at around 30 likes and 5 comments of people just tagging their friends after 10 minutes)
Using http://statigram.com to manage the comments

• Pinterest got 14 repins today... I hate to ignore it but, I absolutely hate pinterest! Sent an e-mail to someone I know in the industry who is using pinterest, trying to see the type of traffic he's getting and if it's worth it for us to do it

• Emailed 4 relevant influencers asking to do interviews for our blog. Going to try to keep up at one per week. The idea is to flatter them, get the interview full of great content and then have them share it to their following(s) so we increase our network as well.

• Been Active on Twitter joining in conversations. I was using Tweetdeck standalone windows app but, I just found out they have a chrome exention and it's awesome.

Going to start working on finishing our branding messaging.

Is that your opening pitch? :D
Actually in one of the pitches I straight up said:
"If you invest in this, it's a gamble... And you know that... But with this idea we have the best odds in the game."

2 of my best friends birthday weekend this weekend! Probably won't get too much done

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Easy day today

• Wrote a blog post for tomorrow

• Made some changes to the website, adding a little bit more content to the landing page but, still keeping it simple & conversion focused.

• Testing a new image type for instagram to see what gets the most interaction - Last one got 213 likes, 16 comments: this one is at 72 so far http://take.ms/hF1HV

• Finally finished the branding concept. Now I have to incorporate it into everything.

• Posting articles on linked in has given us around 50+hits/day - Will see how it does tomorrow. http://take.ms/GKSwm - Posts have to be 'approved' which is a little annoying.

• Using Pinterest now... Going to have to create a custom image for every post attached the the 'pin' - Different than instagram. Seems like you really have to pull people in rather than just have a cool quote or something (if you want them to do more than just like it).... The strategy i'm going to be doing is this: Sum up the whole blog post in a couple words for a cool image on pinterest and hopefully attract the target market with these 'quick tips' linking back to the post as well as branded pinterest page.

• E-mailing more people for interviews, no responses from last batch which is unusual.

-Side note: Our popup (sumome) is converting at around 10% - I'm noticing the better the content we publish, the higher our conversion rate on our blog goes.

Great video on branding

Last edited:

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
Couple questions if you don't mind,

What methods did you use to find the need/interest for your web app or did you just happen to come across the idea, and ran campaigns to validate?

Did you get investors before or after the pre-signups?

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Couple questions if you don't mind,

What methods did you use to find the need/interest for your web app or did you just happen to come across the idea, and ran campaigns to validate?

Did you get investors before or after the pre-signups?

Would love to answer them...

I used to work in the industry and saw the need. I am a firm believer in you have to pull product ideas from your own experiences rather than trying to look elsewhere.

I got the investor pre-signups - Part of my pitch was e-mails/facebook chats of the target market I interviewed saying they want this product.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I used to work in the industry and saw the need. I am a firm believer in you have to pull product ideas from your own experiences rather than trying to look elsewhere.
This. Don't be afraid of the all evil job, there are positives from doing grunt work.

Watching.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Subscribed. Good luck man.
Thanks, appreciate it!

This. Don't be afraid of the all evil job, there are positives from doing grunt work.

Watching.
It's the only way to get true insights into an industry &TY

Today has been BUSY.

• The app developer(other venture i'm working on) hit me with a pretty big to do list I just finished. Which took a while (iOS dev account, rackspace hosting, product dev choices, setting up e-mail accounts, etc). The app is looking really good! Backend is just about finished.. First version should be done at the 23rd of this month.... Showed another friend it today and I get the same response everytime... People really love this idea... Unlike my other 'fun' ideas, people are actually checking in with me to see how it's doing because they want to use it.... Never had this kind've response from an idea before.

• Invested some time into creating a better newsletter template on MailCheat(Chimp) ... Including social sharing the articles under every post and follow buttons at the bottom as well as link to our product. We have a 40%+ Open rate and 13% Click through rate. Let's hope this increases click through rates and shares. You can see it here http://take.ms/VCOgP - Blocked out some stuff just because I don't want to create competition for myself by posting on this forum.

• Actually finished today's blog post... (Originally was gonna skip it, it's 12am been working since 9am with some breaks here and there)

• Created and published 3 more pinterest images... Going to look for a video later, I need to see how successful campaigns are built.

• Created and posted a seperate instagram image.

• Adding custom Images to Tweets on buffer for higher engagement... Making everything high quality for social is REALLY time consuming. Hopefully it pays off. I read somewhere that tweets with pictures get 65% higher engagement. Maybe I already wrote that? I don't know it's late and i'm tired.

Posting on this accountability thread is really helping me stay motivated. I like to see / write about what I've done everyday. Keeps me on track and wanting to beat yesterdays stats.

- Sidenote - I'm using http://www.any.do/ to write down my daily to do list... Some of my tasks like writing blog posts are recurring... It would be nice to have an app that had an option to make the task automatically add to every day that I needed it there. Also mixed with http://idonethis.com with some performance analytics to see my most productive days, average tasks completed, etc- so it would e-mail me everything I completely everyday as well to keep me on track and let me know the stats of my team. Let me know things I didn't finish as well. Someone should make this :) (Also another example of an idea being pulled from experience and not just randomly thinking of stuff)

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
[HASHTAG]#BeastModeToday[/HASHTAG]
  • Wrote a blog post

• Created custom image for Pinterest

• Fixed an old blog post that was ranking well with broken images. Hopefully it ranks better now.

• Changed our popup which was converting well (Risky) but, it added 1-2% more conversions/day (over 2 days so far)... Used the concept of Social proof. Here's a link to the popup were using http://take.ms/lEP7a It's ugly... Wouldn't of expected it to work so well. (The only thing I changed was the small text which used to be "It's free and there is no reason you should miss out.")
Popup by sumome

• Contacted influencers to do an interview on our blog - got 4 yes responses (That's 4 articles over 4 weeks woohoo) - I was using http://followerwonk.com to identify influencers but, it was looking like the most influential people in our industry on Twitter were not getting that much engagement. Instead I was lucky enough to find a post someone did of the top 100 influencers of the whole industry (not twitter).

• Now going through more tweets that i've buffered and adding custom images to them in hopes for more engagement. (Time consuming)

• Working on our brand messaging from the welcome e-mail to the tone of our tweets. Basing it all off apples voice which I fell in love with:

• Upgraded the e-mail template again and now including brand messaging tone ... Sample of our Welcome e-mail
emailtemplatesample.jpg

Read this: Great article on how to get referrals for your company http://prefundia.com/blog/506/

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
  • Spoke with a PR guy over the phone for 30minutes who gave me some free advice on how to craft my pitch to journalist (he basically wrote it for me)- Just found a known guy in the industry and asked for his help via email.

• Found a way to test our brand messaging (from the email in previous post) - Posting it on instagram and measuring engagement vs other stuff we posted. If it's well received i'll move forward with it. My developer who is basically a partner, doesn't like it because it's not specific enough. Like I said before though, I want to create a brand people fall in love with and inspires them. The messaging might be 'general' but, they know what we do.
fastlaneinsta.jpg

• Published Blog Post

• Published Custom Pinterest Image

• Added custom images to more tweets (It's getting us higher engagement, more clicks per tweet)

• Now - dealing with customer service (User ran into bugs) and then have more tasks from my other venture, not sure if I'll have time for a blog post today.

• Also buying this bundle http://bundle.betalist.com/ for the AWS credits alone. $500 for $47 ... Don't care too much about the extra services (although if you don't have a membership to growth hacker TV , I highly recommend it- I have a life time membership there and it's been a very valuable resource for marketing )

• Installed http://untorch.com/ which is a referral program for signups, to get more signups. I'll let you know the results of it in the coming days. It was really easy to install. Running paid traffic + organic through it to get results faster.

Found this awesome tool for analyzing your ad spend http://ad-spend-calculator.qwilr.com/
Will keep updating the post as the day goes on.

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Today sucks.

Got 3 developers asking for different tasks from me (Two from main project, one from other). All the sh*t I hate.

Been wasting a lot of time on the forum posting BS

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Spent hours searching for the perfect theme for our blog... Upgraded it into this one
cocoa-premium-wordpress-theme-elmastudio.jpg

http://www.elmastudio.de/en/wordpress-en/cocoa-premium-wordpress-blog-theme/

I wanted something simple, content focused that will keep the readers reading.

Since I made the correlation between good content = more signups. I decided I wanted to put more focus on the content which means removing all distractions.

I also removed the popup and added a scroll trigger box and it works perfect with the theme... The two styles fit perfectly together http://www.dreamgrow.com/dreamgrow-scroll-triggered-box/

Also wrote a blog post which I thoroughly enjoyed writing on this new theme!

Blog post a break down of this webinar http://grow.kissmetrics.com/webinar-67-recording related to my niche. I HIGHLY suggest everyone watches that webinar, it's about the top 10 PPC hacks of all time. Great stuff.

Also added a finishing touch that I really like at the end of the post ( where it's the only color around and sticks out):
53f00d5ac38aa563266aa731.png

That's it today - Gonna workout / run and then go out with some friends... Probably won't do much tomorrow.

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I can't do nothing all day.

Tried to play games online with my cousin got bored.... Came up with a new idea which i'll post here once the landing page is up.. (should be soon, just trying to figure out a good name). Got a developer interested in building an MVP for me (for equity) - Not gonna take this idea too seriously because I have too much going on but, gonna build it out and put it out there and do very little marketing unless it catches on.

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Where did the day go?

• Published a blog post - It was very well received and I knew it would be! Pretty stoked on that.

• Spent a while searching for an idea to write about for the blog, then wrote the blog post... Running out of ideas!

• My scroll box popup vs traditional popup is not performing well at all. I'm going to give it another day and then i'm switching back to traditional popup.

• Made a Twitter list with all the influencers in my niche so I can interact with them on a daily basis. Also interacted with them :) saved some searches relevant to niche and followed relevant people. This all took ~4+hours.

• Made a blog influencer list to leave comments on and build relationships with the writers. Also hopefully some no follow inbound links that will bring small traffic but, traffic over time :)

• No Instagram / Twitter / FB posts today.. Tomorrow I will get on that... Or maybe tonight. Got 2 hits from pinterest today from previous posts... I guess it's better than nothin!

• Upgraded our site + blog from HTTP to HTTPS - Hopefully will increase our SEO rankings
New rule: No Tweets without amazing images.

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
What a pain this redesign has been.

Lost a lot of the great conversion rates I had but, slowly getting them back.

• Today so far on the top bar
    53f3e2b0c38aa56324c0af82.png
    (Showed 177 times, not one person signed up)

• Got the scroll box up to 7% conversion which is good (Shortened everything) The scroll box was initially a long intro with 4 bullet points and some text. Now it's a short intro with no bullet points just social proof "Join over 1000+ Other Awesome X"

• Published a blog post + wrote a blog post for tomorrow, published it today because it's a hot topic... Got a few comments on it

• Pinterest is actually starting to do OK for a couple days of work - Getting a lot of repins - around 5-10 hits today. Hopefully it keeps on adding up!

• Custom tweets / Pins / etc all made

• In the process of contacting influencers on social media and via email

• Trying out blog syndication. Just submitted a post, let's see the SEO benefit if it gets accepted (it should, it's really good)

• Monitoring and staying active on Twitter while working on everything.

• Sent out some interview questions to one of the influencers who accepted the interview. He has over 20k followers, could be a good boost in traffic when done.

• SSL Has increased our rankings Woohooo! It also has screwed up webmaster tools though so now I have to make a new account - google sees HTTP and HTTPS as two seperate domains which is kind've stupid since they're the ones who want this. They should make it as easy as possible for us.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Hey man, noob question, but how do you set up a pop-up Free/gimme your email thing with Wordpress?

Great thread! I've got it bookmarked and am following.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Hey man, noob question, but how do you set up a pop-up Free/gimme your email thing with Wordpress?

Great thread! I've got it bookmarked and am following.

Get the sumo me plugin at http://sumome.com/ (or you can search for it in the WP plugin page)
After it's installed it should take you to instructions but, you login by going to your blog homepage not the WP admin panel. Then it has a popup where you select what you want. They have a getting started video on the homepage you should check out!

Thanks for the kind words !

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
You're welcome. And thank you! We're live with a pop up.. :)

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Apps gonna be done in two days (other project) woohoo!! (alpha version)

Texted a reporter got some good results, hopefully it will end up with an article :)

Also e-mailed another and got a chance to do a guest post ! - Mention something specific about their community guidelines, it helps.
53f533a4c38aa563266aaf16.png

Pinterest is slowly bringing us more and more traffic. Almost 20 extra hits today.

Did all the normal tasks today - and a lot of out reach. It's 10pm now and i've only had 2 hours of break (1 hour working out)

Watch this video!! I'm going to watch it twice just to make sure I got everything.

And then of course a song to end the day ;)

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Just got the first build of the app and it's AMAZING!!!!

As entrepreneurs were always building things from our imaginations and it's kind of crazy. We see things people don't and hope they don't think it's stupid when we finally have something to show them because if they do it's basically calling us dumb. Most of my ideas have always been B2B to where I have nothing to show and I love that I finally have something I can show everyone and basically say.. Hey look! I do things!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.