The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FTC To Temporarily Halt Vemma; An "Alleged" Pyramid Scheme

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
"Promised Unlimited Income Potential, But Most Participants Lose Money"

"At the Federal Trade Commission’s request, a federal court has temporarily halted an alleged pyramid scheme, Vemma Nutrition Company, that lures college students and other young adults with the prospect of getting rich without having a traditional 9-to-5 job. The FTC seeks to stop the operation, which earned more than $200 million annually in 2013 and 2014 and has affected consumers throughout the United States and in more than 50 other countries, from continuing as an unlawful pyramid.

“Rather than focusing on selling products, Vemma uses false promises of high income potential to convince consumers to pay money to join their organization,” said Jessica Rich, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “We are also alleging that Vemma is an illegal pyramid scheme.”

Vemma is a multilevel marketing company that claims to use its members, called “affiliates,” to promote its health and wellness drinks. According to the FTC’s complaint, the defendants claim affiliates can earn substantial income by enrolling others either as affiliates or as customers, but Vemma focuses on recruitment rather than retail sales of its products to generate this income. The vast majority of participants make no money, and most of them lose money.

According to the FTC’s complaint, the defendants’ websites, social media, and marketing materials show seemingly prosperous young people with luxury cars, jets, and yachts, and falsely claim that Vemma affiliates can earn substantial incomes – as much as $50,000 per week. The defendants allegedly claim that affiliates’ earning potential is limited only by their own efforts and that Vemma provides young adults an opportunity to bypass college and student loan debt. Vemma urges consumers to make an initial investment of $500-$600 for an “Affiliate Pack” of products and business tools, buy $150 in Vemma products each month to remain eligible for bonuses, and enroll others to do the same.

Consumer losses are inevitable because Vemma is an illegal pyramid scheme that rewards affiliates for recruiting participants rather than for selling products, the FTC alleges. The defendants provide affiliates little guidance for selling products, but instead teach them to give away products as samples when recruiting new participants. Vemma offers no meaningful discounts or incentives to encourage retail sales, according to the complaint.

In addition to allegedly running an illegal pyramid scheme, the defendants are charged with making false earnings claims, failing to disclose that Vemma’s structure ensures that most people who join will not earn substantial income, and furnishing affiliates with false and misleading materials to recruit others.

The defendants are Vemma Nutrition Company, Vemma International Holdings Inc., Tom Alkazin, and Benson K. Boreyko, who is under a 1999 court order after settling with the FTC for his involvement with New Vision International Inc., a multilevel marketing company that sold nutritional supplements. The complaint names Bethany Alkazin as a relief defendant who profited from the scheme. On August 21, 2015, the court halted the deceptive practices, froze the defendants’ assets, and appointed a temporary receiver over the business pending a trial.

The Commission vote authorizing the staff to file the complaint for permanent injunction was 5-0. The order was entered by the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona on August 21, 2015."

Read the whole release below:
SOURCE:
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2015/08/ftc-acts-halt-vemma-alleged-pyramid-scheme

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
OMG, let the stories roll. I hear these Vemma sheep are the most obnoxious. I guess that dude on Instagram who bragged about his 10 year old Mercedes C-Class isn't rich from selling this shit.

[HASHTAG]#CommandmentOfControl[/HASHTAG]
[HASHTAG]#CommandmentofEntry[/HASHTAG]

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
Damn! I wanted to join them:(

Can anybody recommend me a good pyramid scheme?
Or another way to lose my money fast?
I love MLM's! You will always get a message from Ole' johnny back from Middle school messaging you for the first time in 5 or 6 years asking "Hey Bro! How are you!?" And soon after "Listen man we go wah back right? Well I have an awesome business opportunity that I want you in on!" And after I respectively say no Johnny keeps bugging you and when you let him know its a solid no. You'll never hear from Johnny again.
Aren't MLM's Great!:)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
This brings a smile to my face.

I remember a couple years back someone posted a sad article on Facebook about a kid passing away from cancer. Then some vemma jerk-idiot came in and posted "should've drank vemma".

I vowed not to reopen my Facebook, but posting this, and tagging that person in the post is too tempting to pass up.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
I saw this coming. This company was really popular in germany too.
Some fitness youtuber promoted them heavily in the last year.

His young followers (14-18) couldnt wait to join this company and many lost their money.
Glad to see that vemma finally seems to be stoped, but people will fall for the same stuff again and again I guess.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Some fitness youtuber promoted them heavily in the last year.

His young followers (14-18) couldnt wait to join this company and many lost their money.
Die Ess Ess!
He still makes several hundreds of thousands per month, some sources claim 800k!
That egghead bombed his followers with pictures of him posing with his ferrari,
and told them to "run your own lifestyle <business>" :facepalm:

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Die Ess Ess!
He still makes several hundreds of thousands per month, some sources claim 800k!
That egghead bombed his followers with pictures of him posing with his ferrari,
and told them to "run your own lifestyle <business>" :facepalm:

Well he himself stated he is making 800k revenue (not profit) a month, but with several income sources not only vemma.
Still basically all big german fitness (or more and more) even normal youtubers are all a bunch of expensive car driving, bragging sidewalkers who try to scam money away from other sidewalkers.
Heard one of this guys was driving a 100k maserati to get attention while still working a job with a shitty salery just to pay of the maserati leasing agreement.

Whats worse about it is that they all use the inscecuritys of young (sometimes really young) people to make a lot of money. This one girl is selling make up and beauty products to 10-12 year old girls who really not bother that much about their looks in my opinion. This will come early enaugh anyways even without youtubers.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
with several income sources not only vemma.

they all use the inscecuritys of young (sometimes really young) people to make a lot of money.
[HASHTAG]#penisenlargementdevice[/HASHTAG]

Yeah the hustle is strong with them.
Nothing wrong with that, if it weren't for their money>people attitude and their generic, rehashed content.

Back to topic:

As far as I understand, there's a fine line between a legit MLM company and a pyramid scheme, and
it's possible to build a MLM company that's valuable to you(the employer), the employees, and the customers.

Win-Win-Win instead of Win-Lose-Lose

Some thoughts:
  • Offering real value, not just branded sugar water
  • Caring for employees, not exploiting them
  • Teaching employees more how to sell, and less how to recruit
  • Quality over Quantity
  • ...?

Do you agree?
What would you add?

Last edited:

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Back to topic:

As far as I understand, there's a fine line between a legit MLM company and a pyramid scheme, and
it's possible to build a MLM company that's valuable to you(the employer), the employees, and the customers.

Win-Win-Win instead of Win-Lose-Lose

Some thoughts:
  • Offering real value, not just branded sugar water
  • Caring for employees, not exploiting them
  • Teaching employees more how to sell, and less how to recruit
  • Quality over Quantity
  • ...?

Do you agree?
What would you add?

I think it's become so hard these days to tell a legit MLM company from a pyramid scheme... at last at the surface level mainly because pyramid schemes have been raising their game so much in marketing over the last few years that they look more legit than the real things.

Personally if there is even the smallest whiff of pyramid scheme coming from something I'm already turned off. Someone I mix in the same networking groups with is big in the Organo Gold world. The truth is that listening to him and other working for him (i.e. next level down in the pyramid), you could say it ticks everyone of those bullet points, but the truth is I'm sure a lot of MLM companies have but then fallen apart at the seams, leaving those at the bottom penniless.

What MLM really needs is someone to go in and give the whole thing a makeover and complete rebranding, until then I can't see it being treated without a degree of suspicion however legit it is..... or maybe I'm just a big old cynic!

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Some people don't "Allegedly" learn from their past mistakes.

"The defendants are Vemma Nutrition Company, Vemma International Holdings Inc., Tom Alkazin, and Benson K. Boreyko, who is under a 1999 court order after settling with the FTC for his involvement with New Vision International Inc.,

a multilevel marketing company that sold nutritional supplements. The complaint names Bethany Alkazin as a relief defendant who profited from the scheme.
On August 21, 2015, the court halted the deceptive practices, froze the defendants’ assets, and appointed a temporary receiver over the business pending a trial."

Boreyko has been involved in past FTC allegations and ultimately a settlement.

" In 1999 unsubstantiated claims in their advertisements for a combination of New Vision dietary supplements they called "God's Recipe.".........

"This is the FTC's first case involving ADD/ADHD,"

"The ads exploited parents' fears of prescription drugs like Ritalin by making claims that God's Recipe was a natural, safer alternative for treating ADD and ADHD," said Jodie Bernstein,"

"New Vision lacked the substantiation the Commission requires for that claim. Companies or individuals who make health-benefit claims for dietary supplements or other products must substantiate those claims under Commission law."

Source: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...-marketing-company-settle-ftc-charges-it-made

Last edited:

Neutral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 22, 2015
Crazy! I got contacted by a guy a couple years back (not sure about his name but it was something like Bicky Dillon) from Vancouver and he and his friend tried to talk me into it for 1 hour. That was the time I first started with online marketing and I immediately thought it was a scam.

Even one of my classmates told me he joined the Vemma program and that the guy who ran it got really upset when he decided to leave. Sucks that they're ripping off Students. Not cool

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Never enough supplies of sidewalkers, nuff said!

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX

Wow, what a mess.

I actually know a good bit about that family and background of the people who started this company (The Boreykos)

I have a long-time, elderly gentleman friend who knows the family. He used to live in Scottsdale back in the day, and he was very close to their mother. He told me many interesting stories. Alot of it was positive, though every family has their tragedies. So I know about the PRE-Vemma back story....going back to New Vision, some other MLM tonic, and before that Amway. They grew up in that type of thing their whole life, watching and learning from their mother's phenomenal success as an MLM guru. Family made tons of money.

But I don't know much about how her kids have run Vemma / Verve. I was hoping they were running it with the same good character their mother had (she passed away a long time ago), but evidently that might not be the case.

I remember seeing Vemma and Verve in "Dean & Deluca" last year, which is a very high end gourmet store in the upscale part of town. I saw that and thought, "Wow, they must be doing well to have placed their drink here."

At one time I even thought about going in with Vemma, just because I knew the family had a great track record of success with MLMs. But like MJ mentioned, I'd have no control. And now would be facing this.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

STswiss

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 16, 2015
Switzerland
Mankind seems to be unable to learn from history. The next Bernard L. Madoff is always around the corner.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Can I even buy this stuff? I was reading.."Rather than focusing on selling products, Vemma uses false promises of high income potential to convince consumers to pay money to join their organization..".

Has anyone actually bought the Vemma drinks without having to pay money to join their organization first? Or is it just a scam, where in order to "purchase" any product I have to first, "make an initial investment of $500-$600 for an “Affiliate Pack” of products and business tools , buy $150 in Vemma products each month to remain eligible for bonuses, and enroll others to do the same," and join their organizatoin?

Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me, where to consumer has to join their organization to get any product, and in return they have to sell it.

Article:
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2015/08/ftc-acts-halt-vemma-alleged-pyramid-scheme

Last edited:

Fran64k

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 2, 2015
Can I even buy this stuff? I was reading.."Rather than focusing on selling products, Vemma uses false promises of high income potential to convince consumers to pay money to join their organization..".

Has anyone actually bought the Vemma drinks without having to pay money to join their organization first? Or is it just a scam, where in order to "purchase" any product I have to first, "make an initial investment of $500-$600 for an “Affiliate Pack” of products and business tools , buy $150 in Vemma products each month to remain eligible for bonuses, and enroll others to do the same," and join their organizatoin?

Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me, where to consumer has to join their organization to get any product, and in return they have to sell it.

Article:

A "friend" of mine presented me this "great opportunity" about a year ago. :banghead:

You could acutally buy their stuff but:
- it tasted like shit
- a can of vemma was 3-4x the price of a redbull.
- It was'nt convenient at all to buy

Also, the commision on selling product to consumer was stupidly low vs the reward on getting new affiliates.

Oh well, I guess he won't get his beamer any time soon...

Ryan D.

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 20, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks man, I'll look them up:D

In the meantime I'll contact Advocare, they have that awesome rookie bonus!
And also a DebtBuster(TM):hilarious:, so I'm able to go all in without any financial risk at all :hurray:

Used 3 series BMW, here I come:cigar:
Man make sure you d badge that sucker so no one knows its a 320i. Actually on Second thought make sure you buy the fake m3 decals. Those add like 37rwhp.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Judge forbids Vemma to resume normal operations

8:42 p.m. MST September 18, 2015

A federal judge barred Vemma Nutrition Co. from resuming normal operations Friday and appointed a monitor to oversee its business practices, saying there was little doubt the energy-drink maker was operating a pyramid scheme.

U.S. District Court Judge John Tuchi prohibited the Tempe-based company from paying commissions, recruiting new members, offering rewards for purchases and tying sales to multi-level marketing.

The ruling guts the core of Vemma's multilevel marketing operation and supports a Federal Trade Commission lawsuit filed last month seeking to shut down the company for operating an illegal pyramid scheme.

"The evidence before the Court leaves little doubt that the FTC will ultimately succeed on the merits in demonstrating that Vemma is operating a pyramid scheme," Tuchi wrote in his 27-page ruling, which characterized Veema's marketing material as deceptive and misleading. "Some Vemma material also contains representations the Court would characterize as ridiculous — bordering on absurd — such that a listener could not reasonably be expected to believe them."

In a pyramid scheme, money from new investors is used to pay those who invested previously.

Tuchi's ruling sets the stage for how Vemma will be allowed to go forward as it battles the FTC in court. It follows a court hearing Tuesday in which Vemma executives fought to regain control of the company, which was shut down last month by a court-appointed receiver.

The receiver's new job will be to serve as a monitor for the court to ensure company officials comply with the a temporary injunction and to oversee that company assets "are properly spent on necessary business expenses."

Tuchi's order allows the company to continue selling products directly to consumers, so long as the sales are for personal use and the majority of purchases are not made by members of the company's marketing program, so-called affiliates.

Full Article:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...id-scheme-case-federal-judge-ruling/32571325/

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
A federal judge barred Vemma Nutrition Co. from resuming normal operations Friday and appointed a monitor to oversee its business practices, saying there was little doubt the energy-drink maker was operating a pyramid scheme.

To make things worse, Vemma had Robert Kiyosaki as a speaker at their conference. You can see the videos on youtube. I bet Robert is cringing right now!

Tuchi wrote in his 27-page ruling, which characterized Vemma's marketing material as deceptive and misleading. "Some Vemma material also contains representations the Court would characterize as ridiculous — bordering on absurd — such that a listener could not reasonably be expected to believe them."

Someone went overboard on their copywriting ? ;)

Tuchi's order allows the company to continue selling products directly to consumers, so long as the sales are for personal use and the majority of purchases are not made by members of the company's marketing program, so-called affiliates.

Vemma is fortunate that the FTC is allowing them to continue sales. This will be a true test as to wether they can make legitimate sales to regular customers with their actual product. The product needs to be able to stand on it's own.

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
To make things worse, Vemma had Robert Kiyosaki as a speaker at their conference. You can see the videos on youtube. I bet Robert is cringing right now!

Someone went overboard on their copywriting ? ;)

Vemma is fortunate that the FTC is allowing them to continue sales. This will be a true test as to wether they can make legitimate sales to regular customers with their actual product. The product needs to be able to stand on it's own.

Unfortunately, Robert Kiyosaki has endorsed a lot of shitty businesses so I'm sure he is familiar with cringing. Take his books at face value and don't put much value in other things he's got his hands in. He's been involved with Amway, Lifevantage, Quixtar, and many more. His book may provide motivation, but I sure as shit won't seek out his writing for actual business advice.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Former top Vemma distributor facing threat of clawbacks
New York Post
Sept. 10, 2015

A former top distributor for Vemma may have to fork over millions of dollars in earnings after regulators accused the energy drink maker of running a pyramid scheme that preyed on college students, legal experts told The Post.

Anthony Powell, a top distributor who left Vemma two months ago, was singled out in a report filed last week detailing the alleged scheme. He was a major player in the multilevel marketing company, which the Federal Trade Commission temporarily halted late last month pending the outcome of a Sept. 15 court hearing.

The report, from the temporary receiver appointed to oversee the company, found that 42 percent of the complaints about Vemma were related to Powell’s lead generation business, Global Pro System, which he used to drum up business.

The FTC also received complaints about GPS.

If Vemma is found to be a fraudulent scheme at next week’s hearing, Powell may have to turn over all his profits from his time at the company, lawyers told The Post.

“I strongly believe the receiver is going to initiate clawbacks against high earners [like Powell] if the FTC’s injunction sticks,” said multilevel marketing lawyer Kevin Thompson, who noted that such clawbacks have been initiated in prior pyramid shutdowns.

Powell is believed to have made as much as $10 million while at Vemma, sources said. To put that into perspective, Vemma founder BK Boreyko made $19 million between 2010 and 2015, according to receiver Robb Evans.

Powell joined Vemma in 2013 from Herbalife, where he was a top distributor for 22 years. He left Herbalife soon after hedge-fund activist Bill Ackman in December 2012 took aim at the diet shake maker, calling it a pyramid scheme. Ackman also detailed some of Powell’s business dealings during his three-hour presentation.

Within weeks of Ackman’s presentation, Powell was out at Herbalife because of what the company called a “difference of philosophy,” according to press reports. Herbalife has vehemently denied being a pyramid.

Since Powell left Vemma, he has been promoting his new MLM called Zyn Travel, according to his Facebook page.

Powell did not return a call for comment.

----------------------

* emphasis my own.

Revealing article. Just think...if you were the one who made $10 million in a MLM and then one day you are forced to give it all back.

Like MJ mentioned earlier, lack of control in this situation is scary.

[HASHTAG]#commandmentofcontrol[/HASHTAG]
[HASHTAG]#commandmentofentry[/HASHTAG]

Last edited:

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%