The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Floyd Mayweather is Fastlane

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
It is a Fastlane decision, a perfect example. But it's hard to say Floyd himself is Fastlane because he still is a pro athlete and that's how he generates most, if not all, of his wealth.

Now Michael Jordan is a much better example of a fastlane athlete imo

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
But it's hard to say Floyd himself is Fastlane because he still is a pro athlete and that's how he generates most, if not all, of his wealth.
He has several fighters under his company "Mayweather Promotions", also I believe his app "Shots" is doing pretty well also. Seems like I also read about something else he was in to but can't recall.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
On Friday before the fight, Mayweather was doing an interview on ESPN. The interview went something like this

"Floyd, if you lose tonight, will your legacy be tarnished?"
"I'm making $180 million from this fight, I'm going to be a winner either way"

Regardless of how he won, he won the fight in the ring and out of it.

And I knew he had TMT or whatever, but I didn't think it was generating close to the revenue his fighting was, and I had no idea he had other stuff. Blame my ignorance there ;)

CJC3392

Banned
Jan 8, 2015
What's impressive is his early decision to buy himself out of his contract with Top Rank for $750,000, which back then was probably a lot for him. He had enough confidence in himself and his abilities to make that extremely risky decision.

I think that pretty much qualifies him as Fastlane.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Feel bad for the suckers that paid $100 to watch it, even more sad that they wasted X hours of their life to realize that they wasted X hours of their life.

I admit, I watched exactly 0 seconds worth, even in recap or review.

To echo what I keep hearing (and why I never gave two shits) boxing is dead.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Feel bad for the suckers that paid $100 to watch it, even more sad that they wasted X hours of their life to realize that they wasted X hours of their life.

Same here!

I was making sales on amazon all day long!

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
Hes genius from a marketing perspective. The Mayweather name draws in millions of viewers to boxing just like the Trump attracts people to his hotels, golf courses.

Hes not the smartest at managing money though apparently he flashed a checking account to an ESPN reporter with $123,000,000 in it :cigar:.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Floyd Mayweather is definitely fastlane. I've been following him for a while and here a few lessons I learned from him:

1) Learn how to sell (yourself). Floyd is known as a villain in boxing. He knows his role. He plays it well. All the fancy cars, houses and flashing the cash? Part of his image. Even his nickname is in your face, "Money".

2) Be mentally strong. I watched the fight in a group of about 10 people and 8 of them were going crazy every time Pacquiao would go on the attack even though it wasn't doing any damage. It was seriously frustrating to bear. I can't even imagine how he felt when 18,000 people were going crazy like that in the arena and booing him. He kept cool under pressure. Stuck to his game plan. Won.

3) Make yourself valuable. A lot of people want to watch him lose to the "good guy" Pacquiao? Pay him $100m for 36 minutes of fighting. You're an advertiser wanting to get in on the craze? Burger King (reportedly paid Mayweather $1m+) for his entrance, Hublot on his trunks (reportedly $1m+), drinking Gatorade (more sponsor dollars, always drank water before) during rest intervals. All that in just 36 minutes of fighting.

4) Believe in your destiny. Pacquiao is known not only as a boxer but as a politician in the philippines, basketball team owner, singer, starred in a bunch of commercials leading up to this fight. In the pre-fight show Mayweather said that the only thing he knows in his life is boxing. To be in this fight was his destiny. His whole life led up to that point. You cannot stop a man who's chasing his destiny.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Love the guy. He's flashy and all that, but he does have some fastlane qualities to admire. The guy believes life should be lived, has an ungodly sick fleet of cars, house, and a brand. T-shirts, hats, phone cases, production company...list goes on and on.

Ruchi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 7, 2015
Mayweather is definitely more of a sidewalker in my eyes, here's why

"Make no mistake, Mayweather is an extraordinarily gifted athlete with a ridiculous work ethic. He earned every single dollar he made. But his money mentality is earn and spend. Rapper 50 Cent, Mayweather’s former business partner, has simplified the boxer’s financial strategy: “It’s fight, get the money, spend the money, fight. Fight, get the money, spend the money, fight.” If he stops fighting, the money machine stops, the cash flow stops, his income stops — his financial world comes to a grinding halt."

(originally heard it in Tony Robbins' new book, the quote above is from http://humanelevation.tonyrobbins.com/blog/money/mayweather-and-money

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014

Don't feel bad for all of us, some of us made a nice profit ;)

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Mayweather is definitely more of a sidewalker in my eyes, here's why

"Make no mistake, Mayweather is an extraordinarily gifted athlete with a ridiculous work ethic. He earned every single dollar he made. But his money mentality is earn and spend. Rapper 50 Cent, Mayweather’s former business partner, has simplified the boxer’s financial strategy: “It’s fight, get the money, spend the money, fight. Fight, get the money, spend the money, fight.” If he stops fighting, the money machine stops, the cash flow stops, his income stops — his financial world comes to a grinding halt."

(originally heard it in Tony Robbins' new book, the quote above is from http://humanelevation.tonyrobbins.com/blog/money/mayweather-and-money
You do know he owns enough real estate investments to retire and make 7 figures a month...Fastlane to me!

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Big puncher, big earner, big spender...Fastlaner...no.

IMHO and ATMSS (according to my spread sheet-just made that one up)

Using a 5% discount rate, 9% earning growth rate, 2.5 BPS of annual inflation, projected out 5 years and selling at a 2.5 multiple terminal cap,
my conclusion is:

Floyd "Money" Mayweather is a significant discount to FMV. Unlike the two others (Roger the Dodger, and Magic) Floyd's net worth is primarily from his "earned income" the 49% effective tax rate kind-ouch, therefore; on a strict NPV basis the future of Floyd Enterprises does not look good. I am not privy to his finances, but I would assume given his famous spending habits, his latest plan to gift his children 50M each (I appreciate his dedication to his children, but that is just a bad idea) and his limited remaining earning power, this may end quite poorly.
5 Year Proforma with Terminal Valuation
AthleteNPVLength of Investment YearsAfter Tax Cumulative IRR After Tax Annual IRREarningsYear 1Year 2Year 3Year 4Year 5After Tax Terminal Value

Roger Staubach $1,057,781,643 30780%26.01%$ (5,000,000)38,675,000 41,188,87543,866,152 46,717,45249,754,086 1,241,151,616
Magic Johnson$810,748,685 20132%6.62% (30,000,000) 30,550,00032,535,750 34,650,574 36,02,861 39,301,547 980,05,478
Floyd Mayweather
($244,043,960) 5-17%-3.37% (350,000,000) 3,250,000 3,461,250 3,686,231 3,925,836 4,181,016 104,298,455

Off the subject a bit, and I apologize, because the original question was great. But who is a consummate Fastlaner, who has both given back and prospered?

IMHO Magic Johnson is one, he epitomizes the Fastlane credo; find a need and help others. He choose commit his capital and his time help revitalize areas scarred and neglected by the civil disturbances of the 90's, South Central, Crenshaw, Baldwin Heights. He started a foundation to fight AIDs and raised almost $50M... His reward - partial ownership of one of the five most valuable franchises in sports(LA Dodgers), a string of movie theaters and a net worth estimated at 600M - evidence that it pays to be a Fastlaner.

Attachments

• Proforma to Measure the Fastlane of A Celebrity or Athlete.xlsx
    21 KB · Views: 5

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
You do know he owns enough real estate investments to retire and make 7 figures a month...Fastlane to me!

This is what I was gonna say. He owns real estate in MANHATTAN!! His holdings include office buildings and luxury condos.
While the rest of the world was belly aching about the real estate market, Manhattan was setting sales records.
Equally impressive is the fact this dude has mastered the sport and business of boxing. Whether you like him or not, his defense is probably the best there ever was in the sport and the way he built TMT and controls all his own shit should be taught in Harvard.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Fastlane?!?
F*** the tag, he is a centimillionaire anyway.
Money is all we need!
:D

quote-i-think-everybody-should-get-rich-and-famous-and-do-everything-they-ever-dreamed-of-so-they-can-see-jim-carrey-289119.jpg

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Big puncher, big earner, big spender...Fastlaner...no.

IMHO and ATMSS (according to my spread sheet-just made that one up)

Using a 5% discount rate, 9% earning growth rate, 2.5 BPS of annual inflation, projected out 5 years and selling at a 2.5 multiple terminal cap,
my conclusion is:

Floyd "Money" Mayweather is a significant discount to FMV. Unlike the two others (Roger the Dodger, and Magic) Floyd's net worth is primarily from his "earned income" the 49% effective tax rate kind-ouch, therefore; on a strict NPV basis the future of Floyd Enterprises does not look good. I am not privy to his finances, but I would assume given his famous spending habits, his latest plan to gift his children 50M each (I appreciate his dedication to his children, but that is just a bad idea) and his limited remaining earning power, this may end quite poorly.
5 Year Proforma with Terminal Valuation
AthleteNPVLength of Investment YearsAfter Tax Cumulative IRR After Tax Annual IRREarningsYear 1Year 2Year 3Year 4Year 5After Tax Terminal Value

Roger Staubach $1,057,781,643 30780%26.01%$ (5,000,000)38,675,000 41,188,87543,866,152 46,717,45249,754,086 1,241,151,616
Magic Johnson$810,748,685 20132%6.62% (30,000,000) 30,550,00032,535,750 34,650,574 36,02,861 39,301,547 980,05,478
Floyd Mayweather
($244,043,960) 5-17%-3.37% (350,000,000) 3,250,000 3,461,250 3,686,231 3,925,836 4,181,016 104,298,455

Off the subject a bit, and I apologize, because the original question was great. But who is a consummate Fastlaner, who has both given back and prospered?

IMHO Magic Johnson is one, he epitomizes the Fastlane credo; find a need and help others. He choose commit his capital and his time help revitalize areas scarred and neglected by the civil disturbances of the 90's, South Central, Crenshaw, Baldwin Heights. He started a foundation to fight AIDs and raised almost $50M... His reward - partial ownership of one of the five most valuable franchises in sports(LA Dodgers), a string of movie theaters and a net worth estimated at 600M - evidence that it pays to be a Fastlaner.

Superb insight sir

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
There's some serious animosity towards Mayweather, and I don't know why. The guy has a net worth of $400 million*, and people still think he isn't "Fastlane".

*And no that isn't a point of discussion, the guy is stinking rich. I think after a couple hundred million dollars, you can be called whatever you want.

Just enjoy the sport.

54f69fa490d91d9855faca91e6b1e2fa_original-2.jpg

Last edited:

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
Floyd Mayweather is one of the hardest working people in ANY industry. This dude deserves all the success he's gotten.

A lot of people hate him for his antics and arrogance, but I think its more him promoting himself than anything else.

In the entertainment industry arrogance, shameless self promotion, narcissism, over confidence, and bold statements all sell, and he's leveraged those tools more than anybody.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.