The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

flipping/buy and hold/Manny khoshbin

steve1394

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Mar 16, 2015
Hi im new to the forum and have some questions about real estate. When i hear people who are flipping or who are talking about flipping they are usually only talking about flipping low priced or averaged priced single family homes (and theres nothing wrong with that). my thing is yes you need to start small, with say a 50k or 100k property etc. but i want to eventually graduate to flipping a commercial property that i bought for 8 million and flipped for 10 million, i know that sounds kinda stupid but hear me out, it seems to me that most people who are flipping never graduate past just flipping these cheap homes, hence why they never really make any big, real money (10-20million liquid minimum) theres no real upside in just flipping these cheap properties over and over again unless you want to do it for 30-40 years and save basically every penny. You need to move up the ladder an say hey i flipped this 100k property and now im gunna flip a 500k and then a 1mil property and then a 3 mil and 5 mil and so on u get the point, (yes im not an idiot i know its not that easy) my thing is i know its harder and riskier to flip expensive properties but to me thats the only way to get to the big money….not just make a good living off flipping. But do u guys think its best way to go if u have big goals of getting to the big money, i see it as the only way there in the real estate game (buying and holding is way too long term for me) one side not also is the guy who got me focused on this high end flipping strategy was manny khoshbin, he has a book called the contrarian playbook that i read where he basically talks about how he flipped these 5m,8m,12m dollar commercial properties for big profits, also one thing to note is he started with nothing and by the time he was 35 he was worth in that 10-20 million range which from what ive seen in my research is unheard of for real estate guys. if any one has any comments on manny or knows him personally or has read his book please comment.

also i have a few questions on the buy and hold strategy. If i was to pursue the buy and hold strategy with and end goal of building up as big as portfolio as i possibly could and then just unload it and liquidate every single property 15-20 years from now, i know its hard to say because there are a million different factors that come into play, but do you think i can achieve that 10-20 million liquid figure i stated before in that time frame?

also some background info is im 20 years old, im not in real estate i dont own any properties, ive never done a flip, i havent started any businesses yet, i have about 35k in savings. Im honestly really thinking that real estate is just not right for me because of my big goals (10-20 million liquid minimum by age 30-35) i just think it would be better to try and shoot for big growth from a business not real estate investing

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You are focused on 'why can't I' instead of 'how can I'. Flip a property AND start a business. Your path will become obvious. Do.

lleone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 7, 2011
New York
A couple of points to help you along.

1) Most of the big money is made in real estate by using OPM (other people's money). So the next question you should ask is how do I get other people to invest in me.

2) Get a solid track record of successes in real estate. Here is an example of progress:
  1. You flip 3 houses and each time you make money.
  2. You tell people you know with money and get them interested
  3. They invest money to acquire the houses, you oversee the repairs and renovations, you split the profit 50/50.
  4. You get more investors (or current investors will invest more), so you have more money and move on to apartment buildings.
  5. You flip several apartment buildings and do very well. You start to qualify for non-recourse loans (your net worth is not on the line anymore).
  6. You attract more investors and move on to new development or bigger apartment buildings.
  7. Repeat over and over.
The key in all of this is that you have to really get people to trust you by continuously delivering. To start building that track record, you may have to start with flipping at a small level to gain experience and move up from there. My recommendation is find someone in your area who is already successful at this (go to a local REIA meeting if you don't know anyone) and volunteer your time to help him. Having a strong mentor will cut your learning curve considerably.

Good luck.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
You are correct that it is better to start with flipping less expensive houses. It will build up your confidence in talking to sellers and understanding real estate and marketing to find and sell proeprties.

It is completely possible to do quick flips for expensive properties too. When I say flip, I'm talking about getting a contract at one price then seller the property for a higher price. You do NOT need to buy or fix up the property.

I've flipped properties from $400 to $15,000,000 and everything in the middle. So, yes it can definitely be done.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andrewski

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Mar 21, 2015
You only have 35k, so start flipping small ones and grow then decide if flipping 10m properties is for you when the time comes.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
You are correct that it is better to start with flipping less expensive houses. It will build up your confidence in talking to sellers and understanding real estate and marketing to find and sell proeprties.

It is completely possible to do quick flips for expensive properties too. When I say flip, I'm talking about getting a contract at one price then seller the property for a higher price. You do NOT need to buy or fix up the property.

I've flipped properties from $400 to $15,000,000 and everything in the middle. So, yes it can definitely be done.
Jackie,

I'd love to hear the story of the $15 mil flip ! Crazy!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.