The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(First post) Mikey here!

mikeyK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Jun 11, 2014
I'm new here my name is Michael but my friends call me Mikey. I'm 18 yo who recently graduated HS and not sure if I want to go on to college. I want to start my own business and have been researching every topic, niche, market possible but haven't found something that I'm confident in starting. I have so many different ideas running through my head from publishing, ecommerce, certain niche markets, so on and so forth. I guess I just haven't found the thing for me and that is where I feel stuck. My parents are pushing me to go to college and do nursing or pharmaceuticals which I'm not interested in. My dad started a few businesses of his own which have failed and they ended up filing for bankruptcy. Now anytime I talk about anything business related my parents see business as the "devil". I grew up seeing my dad making so many mistakes in his businesses which I would point out to him but he would always insult me, like what do I know about business. When I was a kid and myspace and a few other sites were a big deal I would make money by designing other people's sites and themes. I hustled a lot in school selling a whole bunch of random things and services. I love reading and TMF is by far the best business book I have ever read. It's funny because I always felt I had a different mindset very similar to the fastlane and never wanted to slave away for someone else's benefit. Reading the book made me feel like I wasn't the crazy one like my parents think because of how different my thinking is compared to theirs especially when it comes to opinions on work, education, and so on. My older siblings have also opened up my eyes to see what the slowlane is all about and I would never want to follow in their shoes. Seeing their mistakes has taught me a lot. My sister is married to a guy who makes 100k a year, gambles about half of it every year, both drive expensive cars they can barely afford payments on let alone maintenance. They are in way over their heads in debt, spend money on vacations, expensive clothes, tons of crap they don't need then have to borrow money to pay next month's rent or car payment. My bro who is also married doesn't gamble but him and his wife love to throw parties and everyone thinks they are so rich yet they are living from paycheck to paycheck. When I told my parent's that I'm not going to college and want to explore different business options they thought I had gone completely insane and are giving me til January to get out of this "phase" which they think I'm in and are expecting me to start college come Spring. I have 3k that I can use towards my business but for now I'm exploring all my options before I make any huge decisions. I'm really thankful to have come across TMF and this amazing forum and look forward to being a part of this community!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mikeyK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Jun 11, 2014
I've been getting up at 5am, getting some exercise in, then working on my computer. Doing a lot of reading and studying... Got a few ideas I'm researching and trying to see if there is a good market for it. Hard when you got nobody to talk to and no support from family. Big part of me wants to prove everyone wrong..

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Don't look at going to school as a waste per se. Look at it as a way to gain contacts and experience to find that niche and know it inside and out. Look at things you're interested in to find that pain point.

mikeyK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Jun 11, 2014
@mikekob I don't think it's a waste to go to school and it's necessary in many fields but I don't want to get into debt for something that I don't need a degree in to be successful. I'm interested in business and from what I hear majoring in business is not the same as it was years ago.

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
I hear ya man. I never went to college but went to paramedic school instead.

I agree with the business school or being what it used to be. Sounds like you're doing what you need to. And that's finding your little hole to fill with a kick a$$ solution.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When I was a kid and myspace and a few other sites were a big deal I would make money by designing other people's sites and themes. I hustled a lot in school selling a whole bunch of random things and services.

This tells me you have what it takes. Don't let anyone smother your dreams. Welcome aboard.

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
Your parents are trying to give you direction they don't think you have. They mean well. :rolleyes:

My parents are pushing me to go to college and do nursing or pharmaceuticals which I'm not interested in.

Are they paying or just pushing?

When I was a kid and myspace and a few other sites were a big deal I would make money by designing other people's sites and themes. I hustled a lot in school selling a whole bunch of random things and services.

Nice start.;)

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
How about starting a business and using that to pay your way through school without loans? Then by the time you graduate, you have a formal education AND a fastlane business.

Best of both camps.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...