The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding a honest partner.

Casper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 6, 2014
Hello!

I have been talking to a web developer who wants me to partner with him on a new website. Either a 50/50 split or I can start out with 25%.

I have checked him out on linked in and such. But how do I really know that he is on the up and up. How do I know that he is not just a scammer who puts up fake info? I guess I could always pay a privet eye to check him out, but that's kinda starting the partnership on a sour note.

It all started with him selling a website that I wanted to buy, but it already sold and since then we have been talking about partnering up on his new project.

I would love to earn some extra income this way, but at the same time I would hate to be scammed out of my hard earned cash.

How did you do it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Wall

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Feb 8, 2015
Ask yourself this, what do you both bring to the table in terms of value?

It sounds like he has the technical side nailed so that leaves you, what do you bring of value?

If it's just cash, you may want to reevaluate the partnership

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Don't do it. Please for the love of god don't do it.

You don't know this person, things get very different as soon as there's money involved.

If you don't know the person for at least a few years and have worked with her, pass it. You're talking about not being sure if you can trust him, paying a detective to keep an eye on him and you want to start a business with him?

Do you absolutely have to go on a partnership with him? Is the domain name so important that you can't do it otherwise?

Think of ways to get around it.

EdKirby

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 29, 2015
United States
I completely agree with @Tiago. I'm sour on partnerships after I saw what happened to my dad when his partner screwed him out of his business, but that's a story for another thread, and in reality it was my dad's fault by being too trusting.

Whatever you do, do not, I repeat do not do anything with anyone without a well written (i.e. pay a lawyer who works for YOU) agreement. And if possible don't give up control. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Can you do what he's doing only hire out the tech? Think outside the box.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
You may find someone who would never screw you, but that doesn't doesn't mean the other people in their life wont.

A friend had a verbal agreement with a guy, they worked for several years on a project. His wife suspected him of cheating on her, and she blamed my friend for corrupting him (when in fact the maid she hired hooked him up). When the business became a real business, my friend was "banished", and replaced by the wife. They made $20M over the next few years. Never give up Control of your own fate.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Make people sign contracts. Never take their word for anything just because they seem like a nice person or you will learn a very hard lesson.

But just right off the bat, how great of idea do you think it is to partner up with someone you don't know anything about?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.