The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally started my website. Thoughts?

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
Hi Guys,

I finally purchased my own domain to start selling online. I have quite a few ideas yet to come through which wont begin until I finish my final year of college as i just don't have the time right now! What do you guys think of my website? Ive only just set it up two days ago and haven't done much with it!

If you guys have any constructive on how to enhance it and make it look more professional I would be glad to see what you suggest! Its still in its beta stage and Im not going to upgrade it to a business account until I have the rest of my products ready to sell!

Regards,
Sean

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Why should I buy from you and not from another more credible watch retailer?

Being a watchmaker myself, I'm very skeptical when purchasing watches online without verification of authenticity and credibility

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
Why should I buy from you and not from another more credible watch retailer?

Being a watchmaker myself, I'm very skeptical when purchasing watches online without verification of authenticity and credibility
I have been selling watches in Dubai face to face for quite some time now just as a hobby. Its a business as you would know that is built up by gaining credibility. This will come as time goes on and customers have experience with dealing with me. Building an online trusted customer base wont be easy but will assemble as time goes on.

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
I have also had a watch sent to me without paying for it until it arrived in Dubai. I quickly sent the payment after I had checked the watch out. Its trust like that which builds customers. Im sure the sender wouldnt hesitate on giving me a reference for example.

Do you have thought on the actual layout of the website? I was more thinking of advertising the watches online and selling locally face to face as a trusted business not worldwide as of yet !

RichyV

Death Is Winning. Do Something.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2014
A bit of feedback in regards to your email: Get a domain email ASAP eg. sales@dubaiwatchguy.com

@hotmail.com is very unprofessional, selling high end luxury goods you need to wreak of professionalism.

Good luck!

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
A bit of feedback in regards to your email: Get a domain email ASAP eg. sales@dubaiwatchguy.com

@hotmail.com is very unprofessional, selling high end luxury goods you need to wreak of professionalism.

Good luck!
Thanks mate! Thats the first thing I was going to do as soon as I upgrade to my business account to start selling. It all costs, so therefore I would like to be earning money with the straps etc I will be selling on my ebay account and on the website to cover the costs of it!

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
A few thoughts:

1. More pics for the watches.

2. Are the watch pics you have ones you took? The backgrounds are all different. It looks to me like they are pics you found on GIS.

3. Your name tells me you are one man show. Not sure if good or not.

4. The top of your home page is taken up by your logo and white space. Use less white space. Show more product above the fold.

5. Start an email list. Send alerts for new models.

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
A few thoughts:

1. More pics for the watches.

2. Are the watch pics you have ones you took? The backgrounds are all different. It looks to me like they are pics you found on GIS.

3. Your name tells me you are one man show. Not sure if good or not.

4. The top of your home page is taken up by your logo and white space. Use less white space. Show more product above the fold.

5. Start an email list. Send alerts for new models.

Thanks! Two of them are of the actual watches that I have for sale the rest are off other websites (Couldnt take pics as they arent with me right now due too travel).
I think ill have to change the template of website layout as I didnt like the amount of white space either. I plan to maybe have a slide show of watches containing links to different brands etc!
Ill try and take all of that into account when I redesign it in may! Thanks for the pointers aswell!

Karen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Feb 28, 2015
Germany
Hey Sean, just had a look. Great work for two days! From a branding perspective if you aim for the luxury e-commerce sell I would suggest to focus your energy on creating a consistent premium frame throughout your page: name, layout, color coding, images, etc.

Some remarks & suggestions:
- Name: signals young brand, more discount type of offer
- Layout: If your not too hugely into webdesign I'd go for an ecommerce solution that offers layouts designed from guys that now how to translate the luxury feel through margins, typography and elements. You made the page with weebly right? If you do have the time in may I would choose a solution (eg Open Cart) that offers external high quality layouts.
- Color Coding: there are a couple of classic luxury type color combinations, check out one of those pages and copy (find them on https://www.thebestdesigns.com/)
or hire a freelancer and let them recreate a page like http://www.corum.ch/en ... btw awesome image examples for attention to detail.

Looking forward to your progress!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Actually I kinda like your site design. Clean, simple, not puking jQuery all over the place.

But from an eCommerce perspective, I think you need more than 5 watches to convince people to frequent your site.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Needs way more pictures. Depending on your primary market you may want to change that it's quoted in dollars or UAE Dirhams..or add a converter that auto converts pricing and lists them

I'd try to mimic the way user DAVIDSW on the rolex forums presents his watches / photos. go to the for sale section over there and he won't be hard to find. Up close quality photos from all angles. Nobody wants to purchase a used watch to find a giant scratch on it that was "mistakenly" left out of the photos.

They're luxury items. Present them as such and display the boxes / papers / tags / cards..don't just say you have them.

Best of luck from a fellow watch guy

David Wills

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Feb 26, 2015
I think that your website needs some powerful images as well. 'Get an impressive first impression' (maybe hire a professional for that).

Also, if you can somehow remove the weedy logo. If I am going to buy a watch that cost £4K through internet, I expect a top quality website.

Just as an ideas, impressive design for being a 2 days job.

Good luck mate

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
My cousin sells watches to football players here in England and I don't think they would be impressed by a website like that. A high end watch website should look professional and look like its had thousands of pounds spent on it.

Also you need to have a good media presence on like Instagram, FB, Twitter...Look at watchanish for example.

BillionaireClub is also another good shout but for these guys you need a larger collection. If you're interested in exploring this more feel free to contact me.

MikeRaymond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Feb 15, 2015
From the off I feel you should either; Edit this code out - <div class="banner-wrap wsite-background wsite-custom-background"></div> or make the divider shorter? It adds a massive gap to your website that really isn't needed?

Also add a favicon to your website - Favicon Generator

I don't have any real experience with selling watches but what I would like to say is - I am a little sceptical about spending £150 online for a watch, never mind thousands.

Winning

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Mar 8, 2014
Site is very clean and good for two days work. I would change the favicon to your logo, and like @miked_d said take up less whitespace and show more product on home page.

Off page improvements: Build a social following. Shows credibility, especially in an industry where you are selling high-end items. Customers want to see some sort of social/authority proof.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014

For someone who has built countless websites , diagnosed with ADD, coded for secret entities, blah blah blah....Your answer sucks.

He's asking for advice. If you have nothing of value to add, kindly move on.

Anthony Mathapo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jan 12, 2015
South Africa
1. The appearance should be appetizing; image sliders and attractive imagery.
2. A fresh angle is also needed to draw attention to your site; make it a brand by having something like a blog, podcast or anything that extends your personal brand.
3. You should have a clear objective from the beginning on what you want to achieve with your site: competition is hectic.

Jacquesvh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 4, 2013
South Africa, Canada, Thailand, Malaysia
If you aren't very tech savvy with websites, I would suggest finding someone who has experience in E-Commerce to partner with you. Their share goes towards the marketing setup, branding outline, hosting etc and you do the supply, engagement and the rest of the administration to get it off the ground.

I wouldn't spend $10,000 on someone who hosts a Weebly site to be honest.
- You need a self-hosted platform
- Stronger brand presence that is uniform
- SSL certificate for your website to ensure safety for your buyer
- More products unless you're going for limited edition sales which could be an option
- Adding the Why people should buy from you, what are your current credentials etc.
- Secure Credit Card Checkout - Stripe integration

Those are just small things to start off on, not even mentioning terms and conditions, privacy policies, refund policy, incorporation, tax charges on sales etc.

One of the guys above made the statement of Starting an email list. It's fundamentally one of the most important things you have to do in e-commerce.

Pivoting idea could be to become a watch source for wealthy clients. I phone you, I need X watch and you find it for me.

Good luck mate!

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
I'd stop using weebly straight away. Having weebly at the bottom of the page makes your business look poor. Screams out to me 'can't even afford for a site to be made right' imo.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I would offer a watch search service as well, match buyers and sellers (and you get a cut). Also see if you can private label some sort of escrow service.

You will be better off managing an exchange of a few hundred rabid watch guys, and selling a few watches a week, than just selling a few a week.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
The web site needs a bit more sophistication in appearance. The name "dubai watch guy" also gives the impression of someone selling cheap, fake knockoff watches. The name sounds cheesy. I think you should tell your story on your web site so that people can trust you more. You could show your picture or a video of yourself. Anybody who's truly interested in buying one of those watches would want a lot more info about who they're dealing with and also about the watches. You could show more pictures of the watches from different angles. A video of each watch would be nice.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just to reiterate what's already been mentioned... if I'm in the market to spend $10K+ on a watch, I won't be buying it from someone who doesn't appear to have the cash to use something other than a hotmail account and a free website builder. In fact, if any business I use has "hotmail" as their main address, I immediately default to the supposition that he's a scammer.

Overall, it's a start. And that's better than nothing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Another suggestion...

Build out your story. Be honest and authentic. In your "about" section you keep saying "WE"... your site's name is dubaiwatchguy... implying it's just YOU, not WE. Why not be honest and share your genuine story instead of putting up a front?

And dump the ads. You're selling luxury watches, not trying to generate 40 cents in daily revenue from G00gle adsense. Again, screams amateur and hobbyist, not someone serious.

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
Don't let registering a domain and throwing up a website on Weebly give you a false sense of success. Leave that for once you start getting sales and then scale.

I've fallen too many times myself on this. yippy I have a domain! yippy I have a business name! yippy my website is up! damnit I have no sales.

With that being said.....I am currently using Weebly on one of my startups and my wife is building the site for me :hurray:

P.S. its very easy to remove the Weebly branding in the footer.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I realize that it may be hard to hear all of the criticism and negative feedback about your site but just don't be discouraged.

This is all great feedback and intended to help you build your success! The people in this forum know their shit and this is gold that they've given to you for free!

Instead of your clients thinking these things and moving on, you're being told where the faults lie now and how to correct them before you ever have the chance to lose a customer!

You CAN do this! Make it happen!

Build, test, revise, test, ...repeat, repeat, repeat... and then after a hell of a lot of hard work, critiques and experience...go live.

THAT's the value of this forum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.