The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fed up!!! Going back to a 9 to 5 life !

What should i do

• hire immediatly an experienced coordinator

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • keep learning and adjusting even if it costs clients and bad reputation.

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
In 03 years of being in business, this week i considered going back to an " easy " 9 to 5 life.
The last two weeks were the hardest thing i ever done in my life ( and trust me, i have done a lot of hard things in life, including not being afraid of death threats because i did not wear something on my head, i slept in a sleeping bag once with my little one while it was -25 outside because i did not have enough money ( my first year in business ) to pay for a new electrical panel ..... But those things feel now like a piece of cake compared to the last week.

If you follow my progress thread, you already know that i am offering a summer program : leadership, and entrepreuneurship program ....parents LOVED the concept. I had 447 registrations .

What went wrong then ??????

Last week was the one of busiest ( next week will have same number ) .... 100 kids ....it was crazy, my lack of experience managing a big number of kids was soooo obvious, it was embarassing.
I hired 10 young ( 18-25) to help with the program and have a ratio of 1 supervisor for 10 kids .

I will not bore you with details but here what i learned ( the very hard way )

1- You think you are well prepared ?? Think again. I had unexpected situations ( a supervisor that seemed during the hiring process like a really good match, turns into a lazy slob, cellphone texter and very arrogant, which results in complaints from parents that we are not delivering because kids are bored during the day.
I was not expecting managing a big number of kids to be sooo challenging ( i am a teacher, i do know know how to manage 10, 20 but 100 is different. Sometimes it was chaotic and then a parent show up and witness that...it was just sooo embarassing. When parents witness that, they become anxious ( i fully understand ) and even agressive, the worst part is that they talk to each other and it becomes like a snow ball effect......So far i have 10 people asking for reimbursment ( yes it was that bad ) and even one threatning to call a local newspaper..!

2- People HATE paying extra for extra services ( i had Tshirts made for the program, they were not included in the price ....Parents would become sooooo angry when they learn it's an extra $15. I was soooo surprised by their reaction. Eventhoug the Tshirt is not mandatory or anything, they just did not like it being asked to pay more for something. So next time : Charge more upfront.

Will add more later ( time to get to work for next week )

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
In 03 years of being in business, this week i considered going back to an " easy " 9 to 5 life.
The last two weeks were the hardest thing i ever done in my life ( and trust me, i have done a lot of hard things in life, including not being afraid of death threats because i did not wear something on my head, i slept in a sleeping bag once with my little one while it was -25 outside because i did not have enough money ( my first year in business ) to pay for a new electrical panel ..... But those things feel now like a piece of cake compared to the last week.

If you follow my progress thread, you already know that i am offering a summer program : leadership, and entrepreuneurship program ....parents LOVED the concept. I had 447 registrations .

Last week was the one of busiest ( next week will have same number ) .... 100 kids ....it was crazy, my lack of experience managing a big number of kids was soooo obvious, it was embarassing.
I hired 10 young ( 18-25) to help with the program and have a ratio of 1 supervisor for 10 kids .

1- You think you are well prepared ?? Think again. I had unexpected situations ( a supervisor that seemed during the hiring process like a really good match, turns into a lazy slob, cellphone texter and very arrogant, which results in complaints from parents that we are not delivering because kids are bored during the day.
I was not expecting managing a big number of kids to be sooo challenging ( i am a teacher, i do know know how to manage 10, 20 but 100 is different. Sometimes it was chaotic and then a parent show up and witness that...it was just sooo embarassing. When parents witness that, they become anxious ( i fully understand ) and even agressive, the worst part is that they talk to each other and it becomes like a snow ball effect......So far i have 10 people asking for reimbursment ( yes it was that bad ) and even one threatning to call a local newspaper..!

2- People HATE paying extra for extra services ( i had Tshirts made for the program, they were not included in the price ....Parents would become sooooo angry when they learn it's an extra $15. I was soooo surprised by their reaction. Eventhoug the Tshirt is not mandatory or anything, they just did not like it being asked to pay more for something. So next time : Charge more upfront.

Seems like kids and extra charges don't go well at events - it might go well at the store, but not events :).

Yes.. business can sometimes be a wrecking ball, but looks like you learned a lot through this experience.

Why not offer the dissatisfied customers an unexpected gift + your sincere apology? Take the feedback well, and dish out some changes.

At the end of the day - embarrassment does not add any value - satisfying their love for their kids adds value. Create some extra value for those unhappy clients and they just might rave about your company

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA

my vote: keep learning and adjusting but find ways to improve your reputation.

The company who messed up that takes responsibility and improves DRAMATICALLY from the mess up can't be hated for long.

Throughout history lots of companies have made HUGE mess ups - the ones who take responsibility, apologize, and improve are still in business

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
At the end of the day - embarrassment does not add any value - satisfying their love for their kids adds value. Create some extra value for those unhappy clients and they just might rave about your company[/Qed.

Very well said. Thanks. Noted.

I know i am being too emotional about the critisicm.

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
Shame to give up now. I followed your progress thread and was in awe over what you had built in such a short time with your program. I work 9-5 and have for over 20 years. It sucks and I hate it.

After seeing your progress, I came away thinking "wow, if only I could do something like that!!". But FUD kicked it in and I second guessed myself out of every idea I had for a seminar/program. That's why I'm where I'm at though and you're not.

You oversubscribed yourself. Repair the damage and move on. You're an inspiration to many of us here in the trenches.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I see hiring a coordinator as a shot in the dark unless you can find someone that is very experienced at what you are doing. Seems that most people talk a good game but actual performance is another thing. You need to get good at this first. Then when you do hire someone, you know how you want things done.

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
You sound like an action taker to me.

I've been there too, with a failure that boiled over all at once in a very stressful way. I've also been guilty of some slow boil failures.

Never forget that failure is a key part of success. Best of luck adjusting course.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I see hiring a coordinator as a shot in the dark unless you can find someone that is very experienced at what you are doing. Seems that most people talk a good game but actual performance is another thing. You need to get good at this first. Then when you do hire someone, you know how you want things done.

That's what i think too but wanted to ask and have a different perspective, i want to be ready for next years and go bigger and better.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
I say utilize the feedback and just improve on it. I wouldn't throw it all away and go back to a 9-5, think of all the time invested, all the hard work you put into it to get to where you are, always remember "it's supposed to be hard".

Using your feedback to make improvements will probably make all the difference in the world. There have been so many times I was disatisfied with something and the company or whoever offered me an apology and a gift which in turn made me happy and kept me as a customer. On the other hand, there are countless examples I could give of a company who simply couldn't give a damn, needless to say they lost a LOT of business. People like compassion, people like feeling special and important. Make them feel like they matter, I can see great things coming from it.

Just hang in there, learn and build from it. When things get difficult like that use it as motivation and realize you're onto something good if you take the challenge. I'd hate to see someone in a place I want to get to just throw it all away out of frustration. You're a winner, separate yourself from the quitters. Cheesy, I know, but so true.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Ohhh and by the way...i am not going back to 9 to 5. Thought about it during the week...
I thought about having a " normal" " stable" life ...instead of extreme stress like this week.
I thought my son deserves better than a stressed mom, and that i am being selfish, after all it was MY choice, not his.
I thought " is the struggle really worth it ?"
I thought the price i am paying might be too much.

And then roll my sleeves and go back to work because i know the end of the tunnel is soon.

Last edited:

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
It sounds like you built this huge, massive event, got it done, and then you felt bad because it wasn't perfect and from your perspective it feels like failure.
Thing is, when you're into the actual battlefield, your whole body and mind will try to get you back to safety. It's survival. You want to quit. Anything feels like it would be better.

But. From here, from the outside perspective, it looks like you accomplished an amazing thing. You're awesome.

I was having a really bad day. You know, those days when you gotta get back to the drawing board and you feel lost.
Reading this thread helped, though, don't know why. Perspective and all that. Thank you.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
FWIW, I'm right there with you (my negative feedback comes in the form of potential investors, which I need to grow into a real sustainable business, but who all so far have balked). I don't know that I offer much to you other than the knowledge that other people are in the trenches too, wondering "what the hell am I doing this for."

Then I remember all the reasons why I persued the path I did, realize there is no other choice, and put my head back down and push forward.

As the old saying goes, if it were easy, everyone would do it. Few people have the strength to take a somewhat-angry boss giving them a cross-eye. It's an order of magnitude harder to handle 10 angry parents demanding a refund from you. You're already in an elite class - as a percentage, few people on this entire planet have done what you've done, and even fewer push forward after such setbacks. Keep going!

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bila don't give up! Stay the course! Just make a list of things that you can prepare for and anticipate (based off of how everything went down), and put a plan in place for how you will execute.

What I have learned that has helped me over and over again is that you never let yourself get buried, and never fall behind the 8 ball. You always want to be running out in front, ahead of it. Its easier to keep running ahead and avoid getting caught, than to be behind and have to struggle even more to get back in front. Prepare, prepare, prepare. Have solutions in place for potential problems that haven't even happened yet. Doing things this way lets you pace yourself (keep stress low, keeps you calm) and also lets you think and act more level headed-ly. (jus made that word up!)

When things spiral out of control in a frenzy, most people can't manage that effectively and they act irrationally. My solution to that is to always be PROactive with everything at all times, and I can avoid more problems and set backs than when I have to be REactive at the last second.

Please don't give up! This is going to pass, and you can redeem yourself with the parents. They are people too, use your social skill set to fix things with the parents.

G

Guest3722A

Hey Bila, how's it going. I'm just brainstorming a couple thoughts here that may help control a younger assembly of that size. The chances of me being out in left field are good, but I'm gonna throw them out there anyway.

First one - when you say you had trouble with control, I'm assuming that it's because kids find buddies and goof off? To help with this, would it be possible to right off the bat assign every one a number or letter so that you can control it so friends don't sit together. Like have all the A's sit in one area B's in another, etc. If kids are sitting with strangers, many times they shy up / shuddup :)

The second idea is more involved and I have no idea if it would even help but it seems like it might but what do you think about maybe making an engaging movie/video as a tool to control the pace of the information and then maybe some 'lights on' q & a between lessons? Lights out and one thing to focus on along with sitting with strangers seems like it would have an affect on keeping control.

And to step way out there and get a little crazy, maybe design this video to be like a psychologically appealing landing page aimed at that audience. Good landing pages are designed to control the sales process. Design the video to control the viewer through the use of appealing headlines, benefits and interactions maybe? Lead them along with breadcrumbs you know they'll be interested in

ok im done

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I was having a really bad day. You know, those days when you gotta get back to the drawing board and you feel lost.
Reading this thread helped, though, don't know why. Perspective and all that. Thank you.

Thanks, it's really touching.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
when you say you had trouble with control, I'm assuming that it's because kids find buddies and goof off?

One of the main problems i identified is that my teachers/ supervisors dont follow the program ( my fault for not giving VERY specific guidelines ) , which result in a lot of down time = chaos. We need a very detailed structurefor the days ( my fault for not doing that earlier ) ... ...worked on it today.

I have a meeting with my team tomorrow ...i wish i could get rid of the lousy ones, but no time to replace them now, will have to really be specific with them about my expectations.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I hate to play devil's advocate here but it sounds like you've landed yourself a lucrative job opportunity that pays as much as slowlane job with more responsibility. This was covered in MJ's book.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Someone once told me that it's not how hard you fall, but how quickly you pick yourself back up and keep pushing forward.

Everybody goes trough negative events. How you choose to respond determined where your life goes next

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly

My wife is a teacher and during the summers she used to work at a camp with 100's of kids. She always came home completely drained. Then she started tutoring during the summer. The first couple of years she started with just 1-3 kids per summer. Then she figured out the process and got up to 30+ kids in one summer.

So my advice:

Scale down. Start with less kids until you know how to manage it. Maybe 5, 10, 20, kids. Think in terms of class sizes or something.

Go back next time and say that you took on too many kids. But now you're adding a quota and lowering the class sizes so the kids will get the focus and attention that they deserve.

Parents eat this shit up. Whenever I looked a private colleges they always pitched class size to parents.

So you can then charge a premium for your service. My wife charges $95/hour to tutor. Parents will pay.

Then add more kids as you learn the ropes. Or keep class sizes small and add more "sessions" or whatever you would call it.

I don't think that you are the problem at all. I think that the problem could be the way that you're doing it. Just try doing it a different way.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Bila, so sorry that happened.

As someone who understands your temperament, I can imagine how overwhelming and stressful that situation could be.

I saw something really positive though - Technically you had a business that grew too fast!

While it's a good thing for a business to explode, (in your case, the camp attendance, etc) there are always problems that weren't expected and like most other business owners, naturally you weren't prepared for it - hence the hits, stress and dis-satisfaction from customers.

I watched a video recently from Tony Robbins where he said the anticipation factor is what catches business owners off guard and causes them to take a hit. They didn't anticipate what was coming. It's a learning curve.

If the number of kids that were able to enroll had been limited (at your discretion) it may not have been so bad for you. So maybe if you try it again you could limit the enrollment at first in keeping with the growth. Also, having a 'sold out' camp would make it seem even more desirable for parents and kids who couldn't get in due to perceived value. Just a thought.

The fact that you attracted that many kids / parents in the first place is a good sign. A lot of people wouldn't have the guts to take on something like that. haha

Sounds like you did a great job under the circumstances :)

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
It sounds like you built this huge, massive event, got it done, and then you felt bad because it wasn't perfect and from your perspective it feels like failure.
Thing is, when you're into the actual battlefield, your whole body and mind will try to get you back to safety. It's survival. You want to quit. Anything feels like it would be better.

But. From here, from the outside perspective, it looks like you accomplished an amazing thing. You're awesome.

I agree with this totally, what you have done is incredible. Isn't it funny how to yourself you've accomplished nothing but to the outside world you're on a roll on amazing stuff. You just have to remember that you are your greatest critique, this is a trait common to action takers, learn from the experience,and do it better next event. Forget about how "the grass is greener on the other side"

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
i slept in a sleeping bag once with my little one while it was -25 outside because i did not have enough money ( my first year in business ) to pay for a new electrical panel

Disclaimer: Here's an opinion that you and everyone else in this thread will probably not like. It also does not take into account your current situation, and is based on the limited amount of info that I have.

I'm all for supporting other people through the struggle, however, putting your family at risk is not an option. Do you have enough money in the bank to pay for necessities for your kid? Heat, food, housing, etc.?

If shit hit the fan tomorrow, would you be able to support your son? Or would you be out on the street?

In essence: Do you have a large enough safety net to take on the current risk?

If you do, then keep pushing forward. If you don't, then you should take a step back, build that safety net, and then come back. Taking individual risks is commendable. Putting your son at risk is not.

Sidenote: It seems like this program is only a few weeks in the summer. At this point you have to keep pushing forward. Everything I stated above is for future planning.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
May I make a suggestion, Bila ...?

Download a copy of "The e-Myth Revisited" (Michael Gerber) and (if you havent done so already) crank through it.

Not a long book, by any means, but it talks a lot about what you are experiencing now (small business growing pains) and (more importantly) what lies ahead ... and what you need to start doing now to prepare for next wave of shitstorm that lies ahead.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
May I make a suggestion, Bila ...?

Download a copy of "The e-Myth Revisited" (Michael Gerber) and (if you havent done so already) crank through it.

Not a long book, by any means, but it talks a lot about what you are experiencing now (small business growing pains) and (more importantly) what lies ahead ... and what you need to start doing now to prepare for next wave of shitstorm that lies ahead.

Thanks, i heard a lot about this book.

Meeting done, everybody agreed that it was not a good week :)
A lot of changes made for next week. Wish us luck !

iAmTrade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 28, 2015
New Jersey
Sometimes it is not the person who cannot do something, it is the something that the person should not have chosen to do, that stops them in their tracks.

Why are you in this business?
If it is based on- I like spending time with xyz, and notice that such time spent is a drain on you...perhaps stop doing it. People want to change their lives and choose a specific route when there are countless other ones.

You want $, a life, freedom. Is what you are doing constructively and actively getting you there?

Evaluate what you want, not* what you think you want.
Then evaluate if what you want can be achieved uniformly with what you are doing and if not* change* what you do, as it is only with that change you can get results.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
Have you ever thought about recruiting students from the Education field ?

My girlfriend knows a woman here who turned a home based kindergarten into like 10 other locations by hiring mostly students who were studying in fields related to kids...
I know it's not the same thing but they are cheap labor ( don't go for graduates but those who completed at least a year ) + love to work with kids.

You will just need to learn them about your program since they already know how to deal with kids somehow or at least love working with them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.