The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Family, Friends and Thanksgiving

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This week starts the beginning of "family season. "

Several people have commented on my relationship with my daughter lately. I have a son in college, and my relationship with him is equally strong but different.

So here's my challenge for you for this week. I know several people here have pain that runs deep. I know many of us have estranged family members for a variety of reasons, many legitimate.

I recognize that sometimes situations are beyond reconciliation. Other times, the chasm can be crossed. Fences can be mended. Hearts can heal. Relationships can be restored.

So, here's my challenge.

If you have any relationship that has a reasonable chance of restoration, do something this week to try to bring it back. Don't spend any portion of the rest of your life with regrets if there was another path. It may require you being the bigger person. It may require you being the humble person. I can promise you though, if you're able to restore a relationship that's fixable, you will not regret making the effort and taking the chance.

If the divide between you and somebody else is so deep or so serious that it can or should never be reconciled, than this week try to find a place of forgiveness. In this case I'm not saying you need to contact that person, but simply to find peace and forgiveness on your side to set yourself free from the baggage of the darkness of that relationship. In this case, forgiveness sets you free regardless of how the other person responds or doesn't respond. This is you deciding to move on.

Life is short. Take chances. Love deeply. Forgive freely. If ever possible, give people the benefit of the doubt… Including yourself.

I hope this holiday season finds you in a great place. I hope you seek to intentionally enrich your relationships… Which are the real lifeblood of any entrepreneur. If you have situations in need of fixing, fix them. If you have apologies in need of being offered, offer them. If you have unresolved emotions in need of resolution, give yourself the permission to set yourself free.

Don't fill this thread with all of the stories of people that F*cked you over in your life. We all have them. Question is how you are going to respond from today forward. Don't allow that situation to be a ball and chain connected to your ankle or a weight on your heart. Don't give soneone else that power over you.

Over time, I've heard a lot of your stories. I know there is a lot of hurt out there in need of healing. I hope that this message and this season and this time is your time to get it behind you and set yourself free.

Let me be the first to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. I count you and this forum amongst my blessings. -Vigilante

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I don't have any relationship problems with my family (thankfully), but I appreciate the reminder to enrich my relationships this holiday season.

I've been known in the past to be glued to a screen, even when visiting family. I'll be sure to leave screens at home this year and be fully present, getting the most out of the time I have to spend with the people I love.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Good post. And yes, life is short.
I lost two family members this year, probably my two favorite people in the world, only months apart. I guess I could make a long post on how things change and it's hard to go on and life takes a toll.
I'll spare it. Just.. enjoy the good moments, enjoy family, because nothing matters more. Life happens; take the good when it's there, so you can be strong in hard times.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Great post Vig.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Vig! It's always a pleasure to have you around, sharing wisdom.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
@MJ DeMarco A while back you posted something ... and I responded to it in a way that was kind of douchey. There were of course alternative ways of doing so (which were better alternatives). I apologize for that. No hard feelings I hope.

I lost two family members this year

Same here. Two family members. Another one came close and probably doesn't have much time. Be well man.

Edit: I forgot to add, Happy Thanksgiving to you all :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.