The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook Thinks MJ is Slowlane

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Even Steven

tumbling down the learning curve
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yea, and the dude that started that website cashed out and made a shit-ton of money. How Fastlane! (And anti get rich slow!)

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
Algorhytms...

I though that the new route to success is avoiding facebook alltogether... =S

//And by the way, looks like the page stole my avatar xd

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Yea, and the dude that started that website cashed out and made a shit-ton of money. How Fastlane! (And anti get rich slow!)

Ah the guru getting rich off of something other than what he preaches.

This is EVERYWHERE.

Get Rich slowly is much more believable than Get Rich Quick (or building a business as a fast way to wealth)...

Funny thing is - being in this world - it alienates yourself to a lot of outsiders. Most people don't understand the concept of making money without punching a clock or going to work. That, in itself, is mindblowing to most people.

Yet the first time you make money without having to put in hours, like a significant amount of money, it almost becomes an addiction.

Honestly, I'm the happiest I have been in a long time, not because of money, but because of the FREEDOM of not having to punch a clock or go to work.

Sorry for the rant.

Good find OP. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Sorry for the rant.
I totally agree with you, but the thing to remember is that people on this path are truly the minority.

I think the majority of the people in my life give me the same stupid look I give them when we discuss this kind of stuff - like we are speaking different languages.

I can't imagine the goal in life being a "great" job, and eventual "retirement" - and they can't imagine the goal being to create jobs, or getting paid for value rather than time.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Reminds me of Dave Ramsey.

Step 1. Tell everyone to save their money in an envelope to pay for emergency expenses
Step 2. Sell those same people books, courses, and even... envelopes
Step 3. Cash out

Step 4. Wash, rinse, repeat.

http://www.daveramsey.com/store/cEN...8mDuoP45-NTyuudkbkfMuB1ZE_5gNpbwwIaAmpY8P8HAQ

What I like about Dave Ramsey is that once I had a couple thousand saved for an emergency, then I was able to blow it on a business. :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
He's great for poor people that need survival skills. Nobody is going to, however, get wealthy by cutting their cable bill and sticking the proceeds in an envelope. Unless you do what Lex did, and you turn the envelope into an EMPIRE. Maybe that will be Ramsey's next book.

In the interest of full disclosure, when I was young and poor, I saved my money in an envelope. Per his system. Then, I spent it. Probably went out to dinner. That was the end of that.

I decided that rather than save $30 a month in an envelope, I needed to learn how to make it rain.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I decided that rather than save $30 a month in an envelope, I needed to learn how to make it rain.

giphy.gif

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

Yeah, the irony of a lot of famous frugality/investment blogs is that while their readers are pinching pennies at $41,000/yr, they're making $41,000 per month in ad revenue off their traffic.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Nobody is going to, however, get wealthy by cutting their cable bill and sticking the proceeds in an envelope.

I was given his book as a gift...I never read it. I don't know what he advocates as far as investing goes, but if the average person put that money into an index fund each time instead of an envelope they would have a nice sum by the time they were in their 50s/60s.

I'm not a Ramsey fan at all. He's been bankrupt, what, twice now?

Selling the dream will always work.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
Ah the guru getting rich off of something other than what he preaches.

This was the biggest takeaway from TMF for me. After training your eyes to spot 'guru hypocrisy' it's like removing tinted shade glasses from your eyes.

He's great for poor people that need survival skills.

Yup. So many gurus (knowingly) teach 'financial survival' while calling it 'financial freedom'.

dfw1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 3, 2010
Dallas TX
Honestly... I would never take advice from Dave or Suze, because they do not know my personal financial situation. Thus taking financial advice from a TV talking head is not a good idea. Yet, many idiots listen to these people. Bad idea and advice. Save money in an envelope???

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Reminds me of Dave Ramsey.

Step 1. Tell everyone to save their money in an envelope to pay for emergency expenses
Step 2. Sell those same people books, courses, and even... envelopes
Step 3. Cash out

Step 4. Wash, rinse, repeat.

http://www.daveramsey.com/store/cEN...8mDuoP45-NTyuudkbkfMuB1ZE_5gNpbwwIaAmpY8P8HAQ
Honestly... I would never take advice from Dave or Suze, because they do not know my personal financial situation. Thus taking financial advice from a TV talking head is not a good idea. Yet, many idiots listen to these people. Bad idea and advice. Save money in an envelope???
Say what you will but Ramsey provided a solid framework that helped us get completely debt free and taught us how to manage our money. We had never been taught before and our finances were a mess. Don't like the envelope idea? Use software like MoneyWell.

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015

For those digging on the envelopes, he didn't advocate SAVING money in envelopes, just allocating spending into envelopes to be used for groceries, clothes, etc. The idea is that if you go to the grocery store and don't have enough in the "grocery" envelope, then you've either gotta do without or reallocate from another category.

That said, I never did the envelope thing and I'm doing much better these days. I just try to avoid spending at all when I can. Once I hit the fastlane, I'll loosen the purse strings some.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.