The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook Local Ads

Marketing, social media, advertising

M Power

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 3, 2015
Illinois
I've started a service company in my hometown advertising solely on Craigslist and word of mouth. So far I've gotten all my gear paid off but would like to reach more customers naturally. I came across the Facebook local advertising page and was interested. Does anyone have any experience with this? Pros, cons, advice or alternatives? Business is car detailing by the way, not necessarily fastlane but im learning.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

M Power

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 3, 2015
Illinois
No response so I'll be the guinea pig. Decided to start with just $10 to experiment. Super simple setup if you already have a business page on FB. Will update with results in a few days.

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Good, the only way is to test it yourself but of course experience from others is always nice (google will help a lot ;) )

Also try Instagram, every time you post you can set the geo-location and therefore target car people in your area.
Don't forget your hashtags too, that's going to gain you more exposure from car enthusiasts and people in your area (example: [HASHTAG]#car[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#illinois[/HASHTAG]).

Don't forget about offline marketing as well, handing out business cards to garages who don't do that work may be happy to collaborate with you. Give them 3% for the lead generation.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
There is a ton of million-dollar knowledge written up here,
just use the search function.

I helped my buddies car wash get over 4000 washes last year: read here

For your local Car Detailing on FB,

I'd firstly get my targeting down to the area I'm in and max 15km radius/locality,

Then I'd test out something called a tripwire,
an offer that is extremely low cost and high value to the customer,
where your aim is to simply breakeven or even go into a loss,

and then make money on the upsell

like how McDonalds doesn't make any money on that junior chicken,
but they make money on the upsell of coke and fries/long-term value of you as a customer

I'd run an ad for a $1 car wash,
and have a ton of people sign up

then you upsell them a detailing package on a "ONE-TIME OFFER of 50% off!"

and then if they really like it,
maybe a monthly plan of 1 detail a month for $39.99/month for full year.

I would test this same formula out on local flyers,
and Google Adwords, since people are already looking for what you are offering

Your whole goal is to Increase Customer Lifetime Value,
Increase the average order value
increase the amount of times they purchase in a year

# of customers X Average Order Value x # of times they buy = total revenue

Every single thing that you do should be focused on increasing one of those metrics

Increase each of those by 10% and you have a 33% increase in your yearly revenue

Growth is exponential when you look at things like that

Last edited by a moderator:

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015

but they make money on the upsell of coke and fries/long-term value of you as a customer

Silverhawk851 amazing post,
Could you give your thoughts/examples for travel site. We do city tours.
What the tripwire will be in that case?
Smng like "Top things to do in X city" free guide, catch the email and than offer the tours?

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
We do city tours.

Have you ever had a "cant go wrong" offer?

I bought a 100 guitar picks for $2 the other day,
then the guy upsold me a guitar stand,
a capo,
and a bunch of other stuff I would've never bought if he didn't offer me that 100 picks for $2.

The whole goal is to figure out who your target market is,
what is the driving motivation behind them purchasing your product/service,

and then give them something that is a "Can't go wrong" offer for that niche

What is a "can't go wrong" offer for your market?
What can I give that is high perceived value up front, and low cost for me,
and the upsell my core offer?

I don't know enough to give you a definitive answer on what I'd do but
The questions I'd ask is how can I tailor to this specific market
Are your customers local or are they international?
How are they finding you?
Locally at a stand/store or online?
What is attractive to them about my service?

Check out this case study out about a ghost-tour company's campaign: https://blog.leadpages.net/build-my-business-ghost-tour-company/

M Power

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 3, 2015
Illinois
There is a ton of million-dollar knowledge written up here,
just use the search function.

I helped my buddies car wash get over 4000 washes last year: read here

For your local Car Detailing on FB,

I'd firstly get my targeting down to the area I'm in and max 15km radius/locality,

I would test this same formula out on local flyers,
and Google Adwords, since people are already looking for what you are offering

Your whole goal is to Increase Customer Lifetime Value,
Increase the average order value
increase the amount of times they purchase in a year

# of customers X Average Order Value x # of times they buy = total revenue

Every single thing that you do should be focused on increasing one of those metrics

Increase each of those by 10% and you have a 33% increase in your yearly revenue

Growth is exponential when you look at things like that
Wow, thank you. I'll definitly give that a read and search some more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
I don't have any experience in Facebook Ads but let me add my .02 as a consumer. Facebook Ads I think would me more of a product oriented basis then a service. It never hurts to try. I would get fliers/ cards printed up. 5k would cost less then $150.00. Leave them everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. Shopping carts in your local grocery store, public bathrooms above a urinal, mom and pop restaurants usually have a bulletin board for stuff like this. Make all of your Ads resemble each other that way people start recognizing your ad,then your name. Put them on peoples cars in parking lots like Wal-mart and malls. Go to your local parts stores and ask if you can leave some on the counter. Entice the workers with a % and tell them to write there name and place of work on the back of the cards and tell them to ask the customer to present the flier for a discount of X%. Word of mouth is going to be your biggest thing right now. Facebook has too many people that you aren't targeting and $10.00 wont get you anywhere close to reaching even 5% of the people that you are targeting. You have to think how many people on FB are under the age of 16 or even 18 that don't even own a car. Instagram is a great way to advertise. Take tons of pics of nice cars that you detail and the ask the owner for there instagram name tag them in the picture and the post and now anyone who looks at there "Photos of you" will see your page. Flood your area with fliers. Go to all of the smaller Buy Here Pay Here dealers and offer them a package. I have a friend that does this for window tinting and has gotten so large that he only works for dealers. Even some of the bigger dealers like Nissan and Ford have him come in and tint there windows of the cars instead of in house work. Flood everything. Look at things where you can reach the most people for the least amount. If you put your little 4x6 fliers out everywhere you might have 10-50 people look at just one flier on a wall or in a cart. Most people will take a picture of the flier and drop the flier back in the cart.

M Power

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 3, 2015
Illinois
I don't have any experience in Facebook Ads but let me add my .02 as a consumer. Facebook Ads I think would me more of a product oriented basis then a service. It never hurts to try. I would get fliers/ cards printed up. 5k would cost less then $150.00. Leave them everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. Shopping carts in your local grocery store, public bathrooms above a urinal, mom and pop restaurants usually have a bulletin board for stuff like this. Make all of your Ads resemble each other that way people start recognizing your ad,then your name. Put them on peoples cars in parking lots like Wal-mart and malls. Go to your local parts stores and ask if you can leave some on the counter. Entice the workers with a % and tell them to write there name and place of work on the back of the cards and tell them to ask the customer to present the flier for a discount of X%. Word of mouth is going to be your biggest thing right now. Facebook has too many people that you aren't targeting and $10.00 wont get you anywhere close to reaching even 5% of the people that you are targeting. You have to think how many people on FB are under the age of 16 or even 18 that don't even own a car. Instagram is a great way to advertise. Take tons of pics of nice cars that you detail and the ask the owner for there instagram name tag them in the picture and the post and now anyone who looks at there "Photos of you" will see your page. Flood your area with fliers. Go to all of the smaller Buy Here Pay Here dealers and offer them a package. I have a friend that does this for window tinting and has gotten so large that he only works for dealers. Even some of the bigger dealers like Nissan and Ford have him come in and tint there windows of the cars instead of in house work. Flood everything. Look at things where you can reach the most people for the least amount. If you put your little 4x6 fliers out everywhere you might have 10-50 people look at just one flier on a wall or in a cart. Most people will take a picture of the flier and drop the flier back in the cart.
I set the ad to target 22-55+YOs within 20 mi of me, but I know there's a fair amount of kids on there that lie about there age. I like alot of your ideas and I plan on heavily pursuing the used car lot scene. That would be my ideal customer base. I'll make it happen. Thanks guys

CycleGuy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jan 16, 2015
Midwest
Have you thought about offering your services to very small used car dealers (~20 cars or smaller)?

More often than people realize, these small dealers have a hard time finding good detail guys.
It would be nice to get a steady stream of income weekly from the same small dealerships.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.