The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Examine.com founder prefers freedom over venture capital

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

JulianCarax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2014
Germany

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
I thought this bit was pretty interesting:

In the case of Examine.com, Orwell hired Ph.Ds and other experts on topics such as lipidology, cardiovascular disease and public health to evaluate the research on various supplements.“Whenever something is going successfully, I spin it off into a company and bring in contractors to run it more attentively,” he says. “I give them equity, let them run it and recede into the background.” He holds onto a majority stake. In Examine.com, for instance, he owns more than 75% of the company.

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
Interesting, I recall when he first started Examine.com, guy was on the subreddit /r/fitness all the time answering questions years and years ago. In fact I think he was a mod. I cannot stomach reddit much now, but I find it intriguing how much the nutritional site has grown.

Edit: I think this is him: https://www.reddit.com/user/silverhydra

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Interesting, I recall when he first started Examine.com, guy was on the subreddit /r/fitness all the time answering questions years and years ago. In fact I think he was a mod. I cannot stomach reddit much now, but I find it intriguing how much the nutritional site has grown.
Interesting.

So he spent a lot of time helping others (for free?), learned their pain points, now helps them and gets paid for it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
So he spent a lot of time helping others (for free?), learned their pain points, now helps them and gets paid for it?

^^^^^^^^^ bookmarked

Sol Orwell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 21, 2015
Hi I'm Sol.

how exactly he set up his system with the independent contractors

Can you elaborate on what parts? I'm very "here's your task, get it done by X time for Z dollar." - other than that, it's their time.

Interesting, I recall when he first started Examine.com, guy was on the subreddit /r/fitness all the time answering questions years and years ago.

Yeah that was silverhydra. I've been on reddit myself for 9+ years now.

Any other questions, hit me.

G

Guest12120

Hey Sol! Good to see you here.
I'm a paying customer of Examine.com and as I am researching different ingredients for new supplements to sell, I have noticed some discrepancies between what Examine.com says about some ingredients and the information I find on other high authority websites like Harvard Medical Publications. One example could be garlic and its effectiveness in lowering cholesterol.
Where does these differences come from? Examine says: it's well research and pretty effective. Harvard says: save money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sol Orwell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 21, 2015
Hey Sol! Good to see you here.
I'm a paying customer of Examine.com and as I am researching different ingredients for new supplements to sell, I have noticed some discrepancies between what Examine.com says about some ingredients and the information I find on other high authority websites like Harvard Medical Publications. One example could be garlic and its effectiveness in lowering cholesterol.
Where does these differences come from? Examine says: it's well research and pretty effective. Harvard says: save money.

Ahh a supp question, not biz :)

Not my expertise, so I asked my guys. Their response:

Two fold:

1. The best response I can think of at the moment is "Medical bodies tend to view dietary supplements in the context of drugs overall, meaning they would be comparing garlic to cholesterol lowering drugs such as statins; in this context garlic isn't going to do as much as a drug. We tend to cater our information to people who are not medicated because, let's face it, the majority of supplements have no spot in rehabilitative medicine that you can get pharmaceuticals for.

tl;dr - it works, just not as well as statins. So if a doctor prescribes you statins, trust their expertise. If you're worried in general, garlic can help (and is delicious!

2. Other sites tend to be a bit more outdated and less systematically collected. As we don't do our own primary research, we don't have a viewpoint. For example, Harvard's School of Public Health considers their cohort studies to be superior evidence than it should be considered (because it's a cohort study!)

Hope that clarifies it!

Also - thanks for the kind words guys.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!