The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Every Teens Dream... Broke to Independent

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

18inMiami

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 28, 2015
I am a 18 year old entrepreneur living in Florida. At this very moment I only have 160$ because of poor planning and decisions but that's in the past. I have two main goals at the moment
  1. Move out of parents house by August 2015
  2. Quit job and work on business full time

I just got a full time job at a restaurant that will pay about 1500 a month. I'm currently in training so I haven't been paid yet. The money receive from my first two checks will go towards a book I'm going to publish.

The money I save up from my job will be going towards
  • Hiring Ghost writer ($400)
  • Book Cover ($100)
  • Professional Quality Formatting & Interior design of book ( $200)
  • Website ($300) * I don't plan on listing it on amazon initially because of how long it takes to payout (over 60 days) so i will make a 1 page website solely for the book with a paypal checkout ( only take 21 days or possibly less days to receive payments compared to 60+ with amazon)
  • Marketing (0$) : This book is unlike anything published before and I know people will be excited to read to get the word out I will contact influencers and give them free copies for reviews and/or shoutouts and I have some guerilla marketing tactics I will use.
So all in all I will be investing 1000$ dollars into this project which will be 100% all the money I have. Depending on the success of the book I will use the money to start another entrepreneurial project, pay for more marketing for the book, and use it to move out. Again I do not know what I will do first it depends entirely on how much money it makes. Ideally by August I will have made enough to move out and quit job.

I am very confident and excited about the potential of this book I've just been working on rough draft what I want the book to look like when published.

As the book gets more success I plan on selling foreign rights, the initial book I am publishing will appeal to US Audience but it can easily be replicated to appeal to different countries (China , Japan , Europe , etc) .I also plan on selling the rights to the main US version.

So as of today my task is to go to work so I can get seed money and each day working on a skill that will allow me to be 100% prepared for when the book is published.

I'll answer any questions and take any advice offered

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

18inMiami

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 28, 2015
What need is there for your book?

It is an entertaining book that will definitely cause some controversy but this is ok , that why I put $0 in my marketing budget I know going viral isn't a strategy you should plan on but this will be shared by others

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
This book is unlike anything published before and I know people will be excited to read to get the word out I will contact influencers and give them free copies for reviews and/or shoutouts and I have some guerilla marketing tactics I will use.
I'm a bit curious what genre your future book is in. You don't need to go into specifics, just the broad niche.

Have you done any of the things you're budgeting for before? Not necessarily for an ebook, but for anything?
Do you have a name for yourself already, or are you going to use this book as leverage/mailing lists/get traffic/whatever?

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
It is an entertaining book that will definitely cause some controversy but this is ok , that why I put $0 in my marketing budget I know going viral isn't a strategy you should plan on but this will be shared by others

1) Read TMF .

2) If it is an entertainment book with no real stated need, I don't see it paving the way to self-reliance as stated in your original goal. In fact, it may be extremely difficult to even see a positive return on your investment.

18inMiami

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 28, 2015
I'm a bit curious what genre your future book is in. You don't need to go into specifics, just the broad niche.

Have you done any of the things you're budgeting for before? Not necessarily for an ebook, but for anything?
Do you have a name for yourself already, or are you going to use this book as leverage/mailing lists/get traffic/whatever?

1. I'm targeting high school juniors/seniors and college students
  2. No , I've this would be my first time for all things listed
  3. 'm going to use a pseudonym name and

18inMiami

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 28, 2015
1) Read TMF .

2) If it is an entertainment book with no real stated need, I don't see it paving the way to self-reliance as stated in your original goal. In fact, it may be extremely difficult to even see a positive return on your investment.

What need does 50 shades of Grey fulfill? ....it doesn't fill anyneed but to entertain. My book will entertain young adults.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
What need does 50 shades of Grey fulfill? ....it doesn't fill anyneed but to entertain. My book will entertain young adults.
More than you think.
Maslowr.png

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
  1. I'm targeting high school juniors/seniors and college students
  2. No , I've this would be my first time for all things listed
  3. 'm going to use a pseudonym name and
1. What are 17-22 year olds doing right now? They're outside going to festivals, concerts, oceans and lakes. They are outside. If you release this during the summer your target audience will be out and about doing other things besides reading. Most have been in class the rest of the year, they probably don't want to read a book for entertainment.

2. You're going to want a marketing budget then.

3. Why?

Are you going to a Tucker Max-esque book style? Just stories of sexcapades? It would be more likely(which is still incredibly small) to go 'viral' that's your target audience until school starts back up. When do you want to hear about a book, at the beach or sitting in Ms. Johnson's English 101 class?

Npl9

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Dec 27, 2014
1. What are 17-22 year olds doing right now? They're outside going to festivals, concerts, oceans and lakes. They are outside. If you release this during the summer your target audience will be out and about doing other things besides reading. Most have been in class the rest of the year, they probably don't want to read a book for entertainment.

2. You're going to want a marketing budget then.

3. Why?

Are you going to a Tucker Max-esque book style? Just stories of sexcapades? It would be more likely(which is still incredibly small) to go 'viral' that's your target audience until school starts back up. When do you want to hear about a book, at the beach or sitting in Ms. Johnson's English 101 class?

Just to your first point, I actually disagree. I'm in college myself and I know that I and a lot of my friends/peers are looking forward to having a chance to actually do some reading on our own. The school year, for me at least, has been unbelievably hectic and there is almost no time for personal reading. The Summer is an opportunity to have a little bit of extra time that I think a decent amount of students will devote partially to reading.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Just to your first point, I actually disagree. I'm in college myself and I know that I and a lot of my friends/peers are looking forward to having a chance to actually do some reading on our own. The school year, for me at least, has been unbelievably hectic and there is almost no time for personal reading. The Summer is an opportunity to have a little bit of extra time that I think a decent amount of students will devote partially to reading.
Right, there's no doubt that someone will read it, and that people that age read during the summer, but if he's banking on a book for students going viral, he's probably better of releasing it when students are all together.

Npl9

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Dec 27, 2014
Right, there's no doubt that someone will read it, and that people that age read during the summer, but if he's banking on a book for students going viral, he's probably better of releasing it when students are all together.

In that case then yeah, that's definitely true. I hope for the OP that actually happens.

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond

What everyone is trying to tell you is: Nobody is going to read your book if they don't need it?

Boy! there are millions of books out there.

How are you gonna get me to read yours? Why should I read yours? Because its controversial? Only that?
Is it better than 50 shades of Grey? If yes... how do you know?

Listen. The market tells you what it wants to read. You don't tell them what they want to read.
The easiest way is to figure out what they already and add your twist. Figure out why the read what they read!

Then, connect the dots.

Npl9

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Dec 27, 2014
What everyone is trying to tell you is: Nobody is going to read your book if they don't need it?

Boy! there are millions of books out there.

How are you gonna get me to read yours? Why should I read yours? Because its controversial? Only that?
Is it better than 50 shades of Grey? If yes... how do you know?

Listen. The market tells you what it wants to read. You don't tell them what they want to read.
The easiest way is to figure out what they already and add your twist. Figure out why the read what they read!

Then, connect the dots.

It's actually not my book, but yeah.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
I'm 18 as well. Similar situation, in that, I too want to move out on my own before the end of this year.

I've been given some excellent advice today, and that is to:
1. Choose a market that spends money
2. Read niche forums, and look for regularly mentioned problems
3. Create a scalable product or service around the problem(s)

I know you probably don't want to hear that, since you seem pretty confident about your book. But I'm just sharing what I learned, and what I am currently acting on.

And one more thing, you should never have a marketing budget of $0. It's similar to assuming you'll find enough change on the sidewalk to cover your lunch. You always need a marketing budget, especially for a product sold online.

18inMiami

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 28, 2015
In that case then yeah, that's definitely true. I hope for the OP that actually happens.
I don't have the luxury of being able to wait until august...with that being said I still feel it will get read because it hasn't been done before

18inMiami

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 28, 2015
I'm 18 as well. Similar situation, in that, I too want to move out on my own before the end of this year.

I've been given some excellent advice today, and that is to:
1. Choose a market that spends money
2. Read niche forums, and look for regularly mentioned problems
3. Create a scalable product or service around the problem(s)

I know you probably don't want to hear that, since you seem pretty confident about your book. But I'm just sharing what I learned, and what I am currently acting on.

And one more thing, you should never have a marketing budget of $0. It's similar to assuming you'll find enough change on the sidewalk to cover your lunch. You always need a marketing budget, especially for a product sold online.

i respect what your saying but what you're saying applies more towards tech startups. There are people making 300-400 dollars a day through romance ebooks do you think they got to that point reading niche forums and looking for regularly mentioned products?

18inMiami

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 28, 2015
I should probably change the title from broke to self reliant ..... to broke to independent

I was reading Ralph Waldo Emerson so it was fresh in my head

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
I don't have the luxury of being able to wait until august...with that being said I still feel it will get read because it hasn't been done before

I don't get why everyone's so negative here.

It's only a thousand dollar experiment. It's better to take action, fail, and adjust for next time, then to never take action paralyzed by "WHAT IF NO ONE READS IT?".

Guess what?

If the book doesn't exist, we know for sure no one will read it.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
i respect what your saying but what you're saying applies more towards tech startups. There are people making 300-400 dollars a day through romance ebooks do you think they got to that point reading niche forums and looking for regularly mentioned products?
HAHAHHAHAH That's exactly what they do and how they go there! I'm apart of a few closed off groups and that's 50% of the job: research. NEWSFLASH: if no one's doing it, there's a reason no one's doing it (because it doesn't work). I know people that are doing $1300+ a day and they spend an hour everyday looking at the Amazon top lists to see what's trending, what works and doesn't work, etc.

The easiest part of self-publishing a book is writing the book.

Another thing, you're planning on releasing an ebook, but not on the largest platforms (Amazon, Google, iTunes, etc). You're selling from your own website, but have no following or marketing budget. How do you expect 17-22 year olds to not only go against the grain and buy from your website instead of the major retailers AND get them to read a whole book on their computer. Yes I understand there are ways to transfer them to devices, but who's going to find all that worth it?

Last edited:

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I don't get why everyone's so negative here.

It's only a thousand dollar experiment. It's better to take action, fail, and adjust for next time, then to never take action paralyzed by "WHAT IF NO ONE READS IT?".

Guess what?

If the book doesn't exist, we know for sure no one will read it.
Because he doesn't have $1,000 of experimental money. He's put himself in a make it or break it situation, but doesn't have the know how or credentials to succeed.

He also keeps repeating the timeless classic "no one has done this before". His marketing plan is going to basically ask people who've made it for a review.

"Hey, I'm a guy that outsourced a book and was wondering if I could use your popularity as marketing. This has never been done before, and I know everyone will love it."

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
@Charnell

That's a wise assessment, and I do agree with you.

My point is that it is difficult to dissuade a headstrong teenager when he is convinced his path will work.

Ask me how I know ;)

I also don't fully believe that this is make-or-break. It's just an emotional thing. Teenagers tend to exaggerate. Better to see the harsh realities of failure and realize that fastlane isn't an overnight success, then to try to caution these personality types. They won't listen to you anyways.

18inMiami

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 28, 2015
HAHAHHAHAH That's exactly what they do and how they go there! I'm apart of a few closed off groups and that's 50% of the job: research. NEWSFLASH: if no one's doing it, there's a reason no one's doing it (because it doesn't work). I know people that are doing $1300+ a day and they spend an hour everyday looking at the Amazon top lists to see what's trending, what works and doesn't work, etc.

The easiest part of self-publishing a book is writing the book.

Another thing, you're planning on releasing an ebook, but not on the largest platforms (Amazon, Google, iTunes, etc). You're selling from your own website, but have no following or marketing budget. How do you expect 17-22 year olds to not only go against the grain and buy from your website instead of the major retailers AND get them to read a whole book on their computer. Yes I understand there are ways to transfer them to devices, but who's going to find all that worth it?
I'm going to use createspace for physical copies

18inMiami

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 28, 2015
Because he doesn't have $1,000 of experimental money. He's put himself in a make it or break it situation, but doesn't have the know how or credentials to succeed.

He also keeps repeating the timeless classic "no one has done this before". His marketing plan is going to basically ask people who've made it for a review.

"Hey, I'm a guy that outsourced a book and was wondering if I could use your popularity as marketing. This has never been done before, and I know everyone will love it."
So what would you recommend?

18inMiami

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 28, 2015
Waiting on paypal to verify my ssn so I can send money from my bank to paypal. Not really sure what should be done next...Domain Name? Landing Page? Logo? I need to decide soon

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Last edited by a moderator:

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
My vote goes to the $300 landing page which only visitors will be the google bots due to $0 marketing budget.

You need think in terms of: How and where can I get people interested in buying my product? (Hint: It has something to do with marketing.)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.