The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Edible Garden Kits

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,

This is the first time that I've made a thread on the Fastlane Forum, but I've been lurking for a while now. Seems like a great community!

For the last three years, I have been learning and practicing techniques to grow organic food. After building my own landscaping company and organic farm, I became frustrated with how slow the company was growing. That led me to the Fastlane. I've come up with an idea that I believe can help a lot of people to produce their own safe, nutritious, and really flavorful food.

Most gardening companies I know about only offer customized services, where projects are over-priced and take too long to build. Most beginning gardeners don't need custom design services, they just want the basic infrastructure (soil and plants) and some lessons!

What I am going to build this Spring is a series of standardized garden kits that include EVERYTHING a person needs to grow their own food. The kits will come in different sizes and shapes (like 4x4', 4x12', and 3x3' for the youngsters) to meet different peoples needs. Some may want to grow a small amount of food for themselves, others a lot of food for their whole family. The garden kits will be made of cedar lumber (for durability and beauty), will come with a super-fertile soil, and all of the plants/seeds to start as well.

Customers would get to choose what plants they want in their garden, how many of each, specifically what variety, etc. but wouldn't have to hassle over growing their own plants from seed. Additionally, customers could choose to upgrade their garden kits with features like an irrigation system, compost bins, hand tools, or fruit trees.

I feel like it's worth mentioning that delivery and installation of the garden kits would be included in the price, and my business would start in a relatively small geographical area.

My clients would also receive a copy of The Simple Garden Guide, an e-book I wrote last winter that teaches the basics about growing your own food. The guide would be either a digital or print copy, depending on which package they chose to purchase. People would also have the option of adding an in-person consultation to their package as well, to work and learn in the garden with an expert. Perhaps people could pay an additional fee where a gardener actually maintained the garden entirely for them?

I think the kits could come with access to an online forum where members could help share ideas, techniques, solutions, etc... Also, my primary means of marketing the product would be providing free seminars about how to grow your own food.

Do you think there is a want or need for something like this in the market?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I like the idea. Growing food yourself is really awesome, but most people don't do it because they simply don't have the know-how of how to do it and are to lazy to research about it. Eventually the idea fades away.

I would suggest actually testing if there is a need out there first though, as my voice is only one.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
If anybody wants to download the e-book I wrote last winter, I would be happy to share it. Use the coupon code "FASTLANEFORUM" without the quotes in the checkout of the website. The book will be free. I am going to revise it for this upcoming spring so any feedback would be appreciated!

Midas Touch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Mar 31, 2014
I had the same idea! Good for you taking action.

Maybe you can also sell an herbal garden product. Fresh tea/spices from your garden to your cup/plate!

Look into "urban farming." People in NYC got creative in how they grow produce.

Tomatoes are super easy to care for! We planted one in the backyard and after plenty of fruit, it died from the winter cold. The next spring, there were two! I have no idea how that happened but they're still alive and humongous! They're a b*tch to tame.

Potatoes are fun.

How about selling packages on what they could do with it? Salad package which includes lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers etc. Or a mirepoix package which includes celery, carrots and onions or substitute the carrots and with bell peppers and call it "Creole Mirepoix."

So many things you can do with this! I wish you luck.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Hey Michael,

Improving the idea: Keeping out animals. How do I do this once i have your kit? Rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, skunks, etc are all frequent visitors to my suburban back yard. If that isn't part of the kit that you provide, could you provide it? What about an upgrade for automated irrigation to help it be even more maintenance free? Maintenance plans for weeding and soil rejuvenation? 'Fresh Start' plan for planting new seedlings each spring? There are lots of opportunities to grow this (pun intended). Even indoor herb gardens, etc. Some have already been done, but you need to understand how you could do it better and action against it! Have you thought about distribution and partnerships with nurseries?

Improving the presentation: Audio... the music is clean but the voice tracks have echo and are a distant so they get lost in the presentation. Investing in buying or renting better mics (renting pro audio equipment is a good option). Your video is ok. But it lacks some of the polish that others have. Still I think you can be success with this. Similarly for your website; its ok but could use some work to take from 'home grown' to 'professional'.

Idea promotion: Have you reached out to any of the HGTV/Food series and offered free products in exchange for exposure on a show? There are a lot of opportunities there (but perhaps not in the winter) and a lot of the shows are shot in your own backyard. Tried to get on Breakfast Television or CityLine for the GTA market? Leverage the 'Frankie Flowers' angle and find a way in.

Business considerations:

1) Low barriers of entry. From what I understand your USP is that you 'install' this for them with germinated plants and then provide support for questions they may have. What is the value you bring to dissuade a customer from doing this themselves? Perhaps the suggestions for improvement can help strengthen your value-add. Think of all the ways your system addresses the fears, frustrations, desires and dreams of your potential customers and promote those repeatedly from every possible angle. Right now, I don't see the USP as being presented very strong.

2) Scale: Once you have a customer, how can you generate more/repeat business from them? How does this scale? It would seem that you will need staff to install and then staff to support the adhoc support needs. I would think this would be a cyclical business using hourly staff and have high turn over based on the work requirements?

These are just my opinions from an initial look at your products. Good luck with your venture!

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Not sure if you care, or if this is even relevant....but your idea just sparked a recollection in my mind on a recent Sharktank episode. He made a box of portable grass for pets to go bathroom on. He ended up getting a deal on it. His was a subscription service, I think $25 per delivery. Again, may not help anything whatsoever, but i like your idea. Best of luck!

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Good to see you pushing forward but I think this idea needs changes to succeed. @LateStarter had a lot of good advice. Mine may overlap.

Too local - I live in the US. The only thing I can get is hand written letter. Most of the offerings are only available in small part of Ontario.

Are you allowed to send seeds to the US? UK? EU?

Heirloom varieties. Organic Heirloom tomatoes are a premium product.

Why not ship the raised cedar beds and then tell the customer how much potting soil/mulch/manure to buy at local garden center? Design so that it can be assembled with hammer/screwdriver. Offer the

Accessories - Offer kits with everything a new organic gardener may want. Gloves, small spades, cutters, etc. Watering Kits.

Offerings for Apartment Dwellers. Window box kits. Plants that will survive inside.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Amazing idea, and made me smile (in a good way:). Cool presentations, and you guys are cool too.

Improving the presentation?

Voices are not recorded professionally, so there's that echo that makes it harder to understand you - listening requires a bit of effort, where it should be zero effort. You can record "dry" audio, without echo, in just about any music studio, and there are many very cheap ones too. You know, the places where wannabe bands practice:) Any radio station has a "dry" room too.

Getting this idea in front of the right eyes?

Just thinking outloud...

Any places where organic/healthy food/raw food/yoga crowds are?

Online - any websites covering mentioned topics, might be interested in your story. They get interesting content - you get attention.
Offline - spreading your flyers around yoga/fitness classes and gyms, there are lot of people who care about their nutrition.

Offering affiliate deals to nutritionists, personal trainers and any specialized stores of healthy food...

And your product has one benefit you didn't mention, which I would enjoy very much:

You can pick your fruit/vegetable at the moment you want to eat it! It doesn't get any fresher than that! After picking, vegetables and fruits will lose their nutritional value gradually, and you never know how long they've been in store.

But when you pick your own fruit, you know it's freshest possible, juiciest possible and full of good stuff, so you can enjoy it like nothing else:)

Much luck with your kickstarter.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.