The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dropping out of High school?

Anything related to matters of the mind

ZeroExile

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 10, 2014
Florida
(This is not another dropping out of college thread, it's a dropping out of high school thread, I will make it short and sweet.)

Recently I've had thoughts about dropping out, I don't hate school, the classes are extremely easy and I chat with friends basically 72% of my classes; but I feel it's holding me back and taking time away that could be used more productively educational wise. There's hundreds of books I want to read but I never find the time with the heaps of homework I have. I also see no use in having my diploma in all honesty.

So I hear mixed answers from people and just felt like this was the right place to ask. Please backup your viewpoints.

Current situation: (Currently dual enrolled in college classes A/B student 11th Grade. Failed 7th grade in middle school.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
(This is not another dropping out of college thread, it's a dropping out of high school thread, I will make it short and sweet.)

Recently I've had thoughts about dropping out, I don't hate school, the classes are extremely easy and I chat with friends basically 72% of my classes; but I feel it's holding me back and taking time away that could be used more productively educational wise. There's hundreds of books I want to read but I never find the time with the heaps of homework I have. I also see no use in having my diploma in all honesty.

So I hear mixed answers from people and just felt like this was the right place to ask. Please backup your viewpoints.

Current situation: (Currently dual enrolled in college classes A/B student 11th Grade. Failed 7th grade in middle school.)
What would you do other than read some books?

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
One point that is rarely mentioned in these "Stay in school?" threads is that school is the best place to meet new people and make lifelong friends. Sure, you meet people at a job, but you have politics in play.

Why is meeting people important? The more people you know, the more opportunities there are. Whether through having a big group of people to hang out with, or to hear of new ideas/problems, or knowing a guy who does X when you're in a pinch.

I 100% don't believe that anyone needs college to succeed, but I 100% want my kids to go to college (leave the cost discussion for elsewhere) if only for the pure life-long friends/relationships opportunity.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
If you don't have something tangible producing x amount to cover X living costs then stay in school.

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
I would only drop out of high school if you already have a system in place for making money. One of the biggest mistakes I've made so far is 'trying to start a business' after graduating college, when I had no idea what I was doing and no set plan for making money.

I made a bunch of stupid choices and tried to start businesses which completely failed. I burned through my entire savings, and ended up getting a job. Luckily, because I had some education I was able to get a job I actually like, until I can figure out the rest.

However, ultimately you know what's best for you. If you have a good support system or know hitting rock bottom will kick you into gear hard enough that you'll DEFINITELY be able to have enough money to live, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd at least get a GED. Not having that will make it damn near impossible to get a decent job if you need one.

Just my two cents. Cheers.

fastlanebeast876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 10, 2015
One point that is rarely mentioned in these "Stay in school?" threads is that school is the best place to meet new people and make lifelong friends. Sure, you meet people at a job, but you have politics in play.

Why is meeting people important? The more people you know, the more opportunities there are. Whether through having a big group of people to hang out with, or to hear of new ideas/problems, or knowing a guy who does X when you're in a pinch.

I 100% don't believe that anyone needs college to succeed, but I 100% want my kids to go to college (leave the cost discussion for elsewhere) if only for the pure life-long friends/relationships opportunity.
Thank you for that. This is actually the very reason im going back to college. Even Donald Trump in "The art of the deal" said that he didn't really need college to get education but for the connections hes received.

Did you develop most of your connections in class or just around campus? And if in class,which classes?

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
No offense but if you can easily get good grades you'd be an idiot to drop out.

I mean I barley did anything in HS and still managed to make honor roll. I never remember hours of homework, but thats just me.

Had I known about starting a business in HS I could have easily made time. Instead I was out goofing off with my buddies and enjoying my youth, like every kid should do.

ZeroExile

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 10, 2014
Florida

Most likely continue with my eCommerce, I haven't scaled it yet.

I would only drop out of high school if you already have a system in place for making money. One of the biggest mistakes I've made so far is 'trying to start a business' after graduating college, when I had no idea what I was doing and no set plan for making money.

I made a bunch of stupid choices and tried to start businesses which completely failed. I burned through my entire savings, and ended up getting a job. Luckily, because I had some education I was able to get a job I actually like, until I can figure out the rest.

However, ultimately you know what's best for you. If you have a good support system or know hitting rock bottom will kick you into gear hard enough that you'll DEFINITELY be able to have enough money to live, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd at least get a GED. Not having that will make it damn near impossible to get a decent job if you need one.

Just my two cents. Cheers.

I'm still on the fence but after evaluating the choice, either way I am left with a dilemma of some sort. Although any alternative seems better to me than having a job, I had 4 and all of them I quit, like within a few weeks. I was drained physically and mentally and was completely devoted to school and work, it changed the way I viewed my foreseeable future.

I suppose that would apply if I were to enroll into college completely then I would make new connections, it's a sacrifice experience-wise as well. I'm not exactly sure what the odds are of it lasting a lifetime or having friendships that are beneficial as I have not had any before, not any that would last outside of school that is. It's something to consider nonetheless.
No offense but if you can easily get good grades you'd be an idiot to drop out.

I mean I barley did anything in HS and still managed to make honor roll. I never remember hours of homework, but thats just me.

Had I known about starting a business in HS I could have easily made time. Instead I was out goofing off with my buddies and enjoying my youth, like every kid should do.

I guess, I don't really prioritize socializing though as it's time consuming, unless at school then might as well.

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
Finish school. I find people struggle much more in life without a high school diploma than a college degree. My brother dropped out of high school in the 11th grade and while he's been able to provide for a wife and 4 children, it's not been easy. Not only has he been turned down for jobs due to a lack of a diploma, but he often has to resort to asking myself or others for money to plug up monthly shortfalls.

Besides, unless you're coasting through life on some inheritance, you're going to need to get a job at some point. I haven't met an entrepreneur yet who hasn't had to work at least once, and getting a job is a lot easier with a HS diploma than without.

Good luck!

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
What are you spending all your time on? If school is so easy, your homework should be a breeze and you should be able to get it done quickly. If you're not doing any major extracurriculars, even more so. Get home at 4 and you have from 4 to 11 to do work, eat dinner and shower.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Finish high school (except, MAYBE if you're already making enough money to support yourself 100%. Even then I'd suggest finishing school).

You have one year left. Just one.

If you ever decide that you need to go back to school for more specialized education, or you *gasp* end up needing (or wanting) to get a job, at least a high school diploma is integral (especially as GEDs aren't looked at very favorably).

Figure out what you need to do to pass, then spend the rest of the time working on business, and you'll have a headstart over most anyone else, as well as a strong, solid base in case you decide being a business owner isn't for you.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Also worth noting, "Socializing" is a skill. Charisma is a skill. It seems as if you need more interaction in order to hone those skills, as you admit you have no serious relationships, you don't care about socializing, etc. Work on those skills while you're at school. Buy some books and read em in your free time, etc.

Brian1989

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 19, 2015
I dropped out of high school. I stayed until grade 12 they let me go to my prom, but I had to go back for a extra year for 3 credits in alt courses. I dropped out half way through the final school year. The first year of dropping out was rough, I was making $9 a hour until a lot of my friends moved to Alberta and started working in the oil & gas industry, so I decided to take the plunge realizing I was doing no good for myself in Halifax. For the past 5 years I'v made a minimum of $100,000 since I was 20 years old. As much money as it is for someone my age, it was never enough, I didn't care what it did, all I did was chase the wage, I spent 6 months straight in the middle of the woods working in a work camp and came out with a large portion of money for a person my age working for a company. But I always knew it wasn't what I wanted. I want to do something with the money, I wanted to work for myself and make a difference, my own time, my own idea, my own decisions. I have several good ideas for the bar industry and other sectors.

Anyway basically what I'm trying to tell you without getting off track is, if it wasn't for high school. I wouldn't have friends in certain sectors of business that I will need within the next couple of months to get my own business off the ground and on paper. I wouldn't recommend dropping out unless you have a business running, that is pulling in a heavy profit. Networking is key, you have to realize high school you are constantly networking, be friends with every type of person you can. You never know when that 1 person could be a key component in your business.

Zl1996

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Mar 25, 2015
I graduated a year early from high school at the age of 17. My advice to you is to get your high school diploma by taking the online classes that are required in order to get the diploma. This did not take much effort at all, because when doing this I took the "on-level" version of the classes. I had all of my elective credits out of the way, so I used the empty spots to take a couple of classes necessary for high school graduation.

The problem with your situation is you are probably in the latter second semester of 11th grade. You don't have the opportunity that I had to change your classes around because you have not been informed of the option to graduate early. You could take classes over the summer to get your remaining credits (if possible).

If you do not like school (I know it's a prison), you should find out how home school kids get credits for classes and such. I have not done the research in this regard. Instead of not getting your diploma, do the minimum amount of effort to get a legit diploma, which would be earning high school credits at home. This will not take much time, I promise. Use the remaining time to work on your e-business.

If for some reason you change your mind and decide to go to college, you can self study and take AP and Clep exams that will give you a year worth of credits and save you a bunch of money and time.

You will always learn more from self education than from government schools.

PS. One thing I wish I could have done in high school is spread my these crazy ideas around and have lots of fun giving speeches and such. Here is a link to some podcasts about anarcho-capitalism and philosophy that you might enjoy. w w w .fdrpodcasts .com

PSS. Meeting women is much more difficult outside of school than in it. Use the time you have to flirt allot and build up your skills with women.

Play safe.

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
Finish high school. You don't have much time left anyways. From what you say homework should be a breeze, then you are able to devote time to your business. School is only what? 5 or 6 hours anyways.

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
Or even look into alternate studies such as online programs or independent studies. I graduated from independent studies I only had to go twice a week for about an hour or so.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014

Questions for you:

Are your parents overly nurturing?
Have you been told often that you are very talented?
Do you find remedial tasks to be very easy to grasp and accomplish with positive results in comparison to your peers?
Are you often told that you are smart or brilliant?
Are you sitting on several blue ribbons from years of field-day domination?
Have you been told that you can be anything that you want to be?
Have you been told that you can do whatever you want to do?
Have you been told that if your practice hard enough or long enough that you can accomplish any endeavor?

Hanalore

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 18, 2015
Pacific NW
I don't know anyone who didn't think about it, even if only for a moment, quitting high school. You have great ideas and lofty dreams for your future. That's great! But high school is more than just easy classes and making friends... learn to enjoy where you're at in life. You're young, no bills or debt, no dependents. You're in 11th grade, you've been on honor roll and have already had 4 jobs. That shows your desire to be independent and move forward with your life but it also shows that you get bored with things that don't interest you and admittedly you've quit each job, for whatever reason.

Be committed for one more year of high school, even if only to prove to yourself that you can have the goal to stick it out. If you can commit to that and graduate, doing work you probably think is useless or something you'll never use, then just imagine what you can do afterwards! Being your own boss will definitely test how committed you are and you won't always want to do what needs to be done to make your millions.

Make high school important to you, then go for it! One more year out of probably 50 more that you'll have to make your dreams come true.

Where's my experience?

This is the same advice I've given both my kids. My oldest tested higher than all other students to be accepted into college at 16, while still also earning high school credits. He quit only 3 months in and now at 21 works at a steel foundry doing hard labor after quitting several other jobs. I'm proud if him though because he does what believes is right for him, not trying to prove anything to anyone else.

On the other hand, my daughter was accepted into the same college/high school program and is graduating with a HS diploma and a 2 yr degree this year. Her words, "It's my choice to be in high school even when I don't enjoy it." She has even worked part time while doing it. I never asked her too, she just has plans for her future and understands high school is just one step in the many she wants to take to get there.

I don't know about your parents expectations, but I would say to you, you have a choice so be committed to it no matter what you do. That way you won't look back later and have anyone to blame, but even better, you won't have to share the credit either when you make it big!

I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you, no matter what it is.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012

Legitimate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Apr 10, 2015
The reason for dropping out of College is because it costs money and doesn't make sense in many cases.

High school is almost always free and unless you have bad relationships with certain individuals and/or are suffering due to non-financial-related causes, it does not sound like a great idea at all to quit.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Part of day: School, girls, prom, friends, homework, do what is needed to get a diploma
Other part of day: Read, study, work on a business, find an entrepreneur to work for
Final part of day: implement habits of working out and eating to maintain a healthy lifestyle, sleep

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
Entrepreneurship is about risk and reward. In this occasion, the risk far out weighs the reward.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
...any alternative seems better to me than having a job, I had 4 and all of them I quit, like within a few weeks.

You sound like a quitter. You quit all 4 jobs you've every held after a few weeks and now you want to quit high school? It's obvious to me that you still have lessons to learn in:

1) appreciating hard work,
2) starting from nothing, and
3) seeing things through.
...likely more beyond that short list, but these are glaringly obvious.

...I chat with friends basically 72% of my classes...

Most likely continue with my eCommerce, I haven't scaled it yet.

Why not? Have you given up on that too? If school is so damned easy, you don't have a job, and you spend so much time chatting with your friends then why haven't you made the time to do it? What are you waiting for?

Scale it!
Work for it!
DO something!

It sounds to me like you'd rather laze around all day rather than get off your a$$ and make something for yourself.

Finish high school...you have a lot of lessons still to learn.

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
Drop out of high school. You'll learn in 3 months whether or not you're cut out to be an entrepreneur. It'll either be the best decision you ever make or the worst. [HASHTAG]#yolo[/HASHTAG]

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
do not drop out of high school, holy crap.

It's baby stuff, anyone can pass with minimal effort

If you can't manage your business and high school simultaneously, good luck trying to do it with a 9-5 soul crusher.

Mods, board this one up and start the car. We're done here

NObrien

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 29, 2015
What is the real reason you want to drop out of high school? If you are making good grades then I certainly don't understand why you want to do this. Is there anything else which you want to do that will make you successful and help build your career?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.