The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Domestic and International Shipping

CT4

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 4, 2014
QLD, Aus
Hey guys, I've recently finalised my product and am ready to bring it to market but am being held up by shipping.
I live in Aus but due to the ingredients in my products I cant manufacture or retail here so I'm doing it all through the US. The manufacturing company are happy to do order fulfillment for me but I can get a decent price on international shipping.

Who or what service do you guys use for shipping?

The factory wants to use UPS or FEDEX because they will pick up from the factory but a single product (0.2kg) is $160 to Aus.

Are there any other options? or shipping companies around CA that do small quantities since I'm just starting out?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can I move this outside so you can get a better response? Are you targeting the AU for your primary customers?

I don't think you can be competitive if you just ship limited units. Ultimately you need to move a big order across the ocean to get your fixed unit costs low enough to absorb the transpo costs. I could be wrong, but I haven't found a good alternative to moving small groups of products internationally without incurring huge costs, and books are just as heavy as supplement powders.

Damage Inc.

There's no return from 86
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Try USPS first class international. From USA to AUS at .2kg (about half a pound) it's $11.48 USD online as long is fits within the dimensions (a 12"x12"x12" box would be allowed).

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I've been doing a lot of international shipping from single to a few units of my product all over the world from the US.

If you are looking to do anything that is just a few lbs. I highly suggest using USPS.

Their first class prices are pretty cheap but you must also consider that there is no tracking on the packaging as soon as it leaves the US. If you want to add tracking you must add registration to the package which is about an additional $13-$14. It also takes about 2-4 weeks to transport depending on where you are sending it in the world.

You can play around with the pricing here and get a better estimate.

http://postcalc.usps.com/

CT4

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 4, 2014
QLD, Aus
Can I move this outside so you can get a better response? Are you targeting the AU for your primary customers?

I don't think you can be competitive if you just ship limited units. Ultimately you need to move a big order across the ocean to get your fixed unit costs low enough to absorb the transpo costs. I could be wrong, but I haven't found a good alternative to moving small groups of products internationally without incurring huge costs, and books are just as heavy as supplement powders.

Thanks, Yeah feel free to move it to the outside.

My primary market is the US since its much bigger but I have people in Aus desperate to use it. I think I'm going to just have to ge them to send me 100 or so bottles and distribute myself in Aus.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think I'm going to just have to ge them to send me 100 or so bottles and distribute myself in Aus.

Yea, you might want to try a bulk/group sale so you can move 500 units instead of just 5. Get that per unit cost down.

CT4

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 4, 2014
QLD, Aus
I've been doing a lot of international shipping from single to a few units of my product all over the world from the US.

If you are looking to do anything that is just a few lbs. I highly suggest using USPS.

Their first class prices are pretty cheap but you must also consider that there is no tracking on the packaging as soon as it leaves the US. If you want to add tracking you must add registration to the package which is about an additional $13-$14. It also takes about 2-4 weeks to transport depending on where you are sending it in the world.

You can play around with the pricing here and get a better estimate.

http://postcalc.usps.com/

Awesome thanks. Yeah I got a quote with USPS through the manufacturer and it ended up being $155 for a single bottle. Seems a little steep.
I think I'm going to have to play around with that postcalc and tell them exactly what to use.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Hey guys, I've recently finalised my product and am ready to bring it to market but am being held up by shipping.
I live in Aus but due to the ingredients in my products I cant manufacture or retail here so I'm doing it all through the US. The manufacturing company are happy to do order fulfillment for me but I can get a decent price on international shipping.

Who or what service do you guys use for shipping?

The factory wants to use UPS or FEDEX because they will pick up from the factory but a single product (0.2kg) is $160 to Aus.

Are there any other options? or shipping companies around CA that do small quantities since I'm just starting out?

Thanks
I am reading between the lines here, but are any of those ingredients classed as prohibited imports in Australia? If so I would like you to know that Australian Customs have become incredibly tough on supplements.

Items that are available over the counter in the US and sometimes in the UK will be seized if they are on that list. If it is a single item or maybe a couple of bottles you will probably not be fined, but if you are shipping more than could be reasonably used by an individual within 3 months, you may face prosecution.

Check out this site: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/m...requiring-import-and-or-export-authorisations

CT4

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 4, 2014
QLD, Aus
I am reading between the lines here, but are any of those ingredients classed as prohibited imports in Australia? If so I would like you to know that Australian Customs have become incredibly tough on supplements.

Items that are available over the counter in the US and sometimes in the UK will be seized if they are on that list. If it is a single item or maybe a couple of bottles you will probably not be fined, but if you are shipping more than could be reasonably used by an individual within 3 months, you may face prosecution.

Check out this site: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/m...requiring-import-and-or-export-authorisations

Thanks mate, appreciate the info.

Yeah I won't be importing and warehousing in Aus myself. That is all taken care of in the US. I just want people in Aus to be able to order it and have it delivered at a decent price.

I ended up signing up with efulfillment and so far am really happy with their service.

Are there any Australians or non-US people that have had to set up ACH (Automated Clearing House) accounts as thats what I'm being asked for to minimise service fees when paying the shippping company.

Cheers

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

@ MJ DeMarco, If you have no objection, maybe this could be moved to my AMA thread because it involves some general issues around the subject of importing.

Regards,
Walter

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Thanks mate, appreciate the info.

Yeah I won't be importing and warehousing in Aus myself. That is all taken care of in the US. I just want people in Aus to be able to order it and have it delivered at a decent price.

I ended up signing up with efulfillment and so far am really happy with their service.

Are there any Australians or non-US people that have had to set up ACH (Automated Clearing House) accounts as thats what I'm being asked for to minimise service fees when paying the shippping company.

Cheers
I am pleased to hear that you are using efulfillment. I recommend them as an alternative to Amazon FBA for those not using Amazon Prime.

BEWARE of scams by people trying to cash in on the vast and growing ACH. There are the usual phishing scams as well as fake notices being sent out with malware attached. The National Automated Clearing House (NACHA) name is very often used by scammers.

The ACH system is overseen by NACHA and provides an invaluable electronic funds exchange system for e-Commerce, as well as the usual bank to bank funds transfer. The great majority of members are Federal Reserve Banks. Absolutely no worries provided you are dealing with the genuine article.

CT4

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 4, 2014
QLD, Aus
I am pleased to hear that you are using efulfillment. I recommend them as an alternative to Amazon FBA for those not using Amazon Prime.

BEWARE of scams by people trying to cash in on the vast and growing ACH. There are the usual phishing scams as well as fake notices being sent out with malware attached. The National Automated Clearing House (NACHA) name is very often used by scammers.

The ACH system is overseen by NACHA and provides an invaluable electronic funds exchange system for e-Commerce, as well as the usual bank to bank funds transfer. The great majority of members are Federal Reserve Banks. Absolutely no worries provided you are dealing with the genuine article.

Thanks Walter.

Do you know how I get the ACH process started? Do I need a US bank account or can I just use my current Aus accounts? I spoke to my bank about it but they have never heard of ACH since its not an Aus thing.

I don't really even know where to start.

feel free to pm me if you dont want to reply here.

Thanks again

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Thanks Walter.

Do you know how I get the ACH process started? Do I need a US bank account or can I just use my current Aus accounts? I spoke to my bank about it but they have never heard of ACH since its not an Aus thing.

I don't really even know where to start.

feel free to pm me if you dont want to reply here.

Thanks again
Australian banks are not part of the system. It is quite different to the Swift international banking transfer system.

I think you will probably need a US bank account in order to open an ACH account. Your US bank should then be able to organize the ACH account for you. I have posted this reply rather than by PM because someone else may be able to help you with info on how to open a US bank account.

You should be able to work without an ACH account. For a more helpful freight forwarder, check out http://www.universalcargo.com

If you need further help, by all means PM me.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.