The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Domain Name AMA

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Let me start by saying that I am not a full time domainer but it has been a hobby of mine for many years. I have made a nice profit buying/selling domain names as a hobby over the years (e.g. I flipped the domain lawyer.info from 2,500 to 10,000 within 2 months). However, my bigger hobby and passion is developing domain names.

I also approach domain names from various angles (market, seo, etc..).

If you have any questions about domain names, the value, the impact it can have on SEO or other marketing channels, ask away.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have one I'd like to try to sell for some good money. I was offered 10k for it at one time. Can you help with this?

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
You can PM me the name and I can give you my opinion.
One thing to remember is no domain name guru or expert can predict what your name is worth. I've seen amazing names sell for cheap and awful names sell for 6 figures. At the end of the day, the value of a domain name is truly what someone is willing to pay for it.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
At the end of the day, the value of a domain name is truly what someone is willing to pay for it.
How do you go about choosing what domains you purchase? Do you just guess whether or not people would be willing to pay a premium price for the domain?

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
How do you go about choosing what domains you purchase? Do you just guess whether or not people would be willing to pay a premium price for the domain?

I assume you are talking about buying domain names to flip (resell) them as opposed to using them for your own purposes through development?

If so, you're basically right. I usually go to domain name forums and look for domains that are selling for what I believe to be a good price where I am able to buy it and resell it. I generally don't buy them through marketplaces because there they are already priced for end users. The secret is to get the domain name for a domainer price, not end user price. There are other methods of getting domain names. One is searching for domain names that you think are valuable or can resell, and contacting the owners to see if they want to sell them. Hopefully they don't know the value of it or don't already have it listed with a broker. Other ways include obtaining domain names when they drop/delete (this happens when someone forgets to renew a domain name). You can go to websites like namejet.com for example and search for names that are dropping which you can then buy or bid on.

If you really know nothing about domains, you can try using a tool like estibot.com to help you figure out the value although it's never really accurate with an automated tool.

Try to stick with exact match .com domain names as those are the most valuable. You can check search volume using google keyword planner. You can also use other tools to check how many companies are paying for that keyword in adsense, the average cpc, etc.. and that will also help you determine the value of the domain.

Bandy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Feb 1, 2013
Germany
Hey Yury,
thanks for offering your help!
What do you think about the new toplevel domains? Do you think they will be anything worth in the future?

Regards

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Hey Yury,
thanks for offering your help!
What do you think about the new toplevel domains? Do you think they will be anything worth in the future?
Regards
There has been a lot of discussion on these these gtld's and domain names in general. If you think about it, Apps don't require a domain name and have been slowly replacing desktop computers. Theoretically speaking, it's possible for domain names to disappear in the future and be replaced by other technologies, although I think this is a long time away. The value of .com's will only increase with the release of gtld's. I do think there is money to be made on gtld's with great domain hacks (e.g. florida.travel) but it may take a while to see a return on investment. Most consumers still don't know about these new extensions and are confused by them. Anyone who buys one of these extensions now is either a domainer looking to resell them or a startup company that couldn't get the domain in the .com. The startups will pay some $ to get these new gtld's so long as it is still cheaper than the .com.

I personally have not bought any of these new gtld's and will not unless I find a great one at a great price

Bandy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Feb 1, 2013
Germany
Thanks a lot for your time and your insights!
Your statements seem very reasonable to me and since I´m absolutely new to this it´s great to get some information from someone who knows the business.

I registered stockfree.photography a week ago and also found some other ones that might be interesting in the future, but I haven´t registered those.
I´m still not sure whether I should proceed on a bigger scale or not.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Instead of buying lower quality gtld's, save up your money and buy a high quality .com. It is more liquid and will be easier to sell

TBreezy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Feb 20, 2014
MA
Do you always use flippa when putting your domain on the market?

Can you tell us about the process of transferring ownership of a domain? Example : A owner that's interested in your offer to buy his domain contacts you and a price is agreed on. How do you go about safely transferring funds and how does he safely transfer his domain?

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
I have been browsing here for months but had to sign up once I saw this topic. Here are the 3 questions I thought of immediately.

1. When you say "developing domain names", what do you mean specifically? Do you buy one with "good" authority, make it "great" and then sell? If so, what are some tips for going about this? I know quality, original content is going to get natural traffic and backlinks, but what is the payoff for the work you are putting in (or money if you outsource the content)?

2. I realize PR is not as important as it used to be, but I am still curious what links from other sites are worth. For example, if I have a PR 0 site and I get a backlink from a PR7 site (on PR page), how much is that really worth in terms of PR or PA?

3. I was recently looking at a few expiring domain names with PR6-8, but when I checked the backlink profile they had very few links (for example, one actually had only 4 links from PR 2-6 sites). Of course PR can be faked but I checked these and it was real - no redirects or anything. Does this seem correct?

Thanks a lot for offering your knowledge.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
There is a domain name that I have wanted for several months now. I don't need to rush it, but once it's available...it's going to be mine! Hahaha

The person who owns it used it on a blog with only 4 posts and it's been inactive for a long time. He clearly does not care about it.

I already did the GoDaddy Who Is for the domain and found that he had another website listed within the information provided. Even that website is pretty much non-existent.

It's set to expire early 2015. After a domain name expires, what exactly happens? How can I then purchase the domain I want for myself?

Thank you :)

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
Daniel - after a domain expires there is a period .. maybe a month where the owner can still re up. Which he may, even if he doesn't have many posts. The longer one person owns a domain the more it is worth. He could develop it one day or just sell it himself. If he does let it expire it might go up for auction at godaddy. If it doesn't sell there they might just let it go for good which means you can register it anywhere

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Do you always use flippa when putting your domain on the market?
There are many different ways of selling domain names, flippa is just one way. Other ones include posting them for sale on forums like dnforum.com and namepros.com. There are also aftermarkets like aftermarket.com, sedo.com, buydomains.com, etc.. Also, you can contact end users directly and try to sell it to them that way.

Can you tell us about the process of transferring ownership of a domain? Example : A owner that's interested in your offer to buy his domain contacts you and a price is agreed on. How do you go about safely transferring funds and how does he safely transfer his domain?
The safest way is always to use an escrow service like escrow.com, ecop.com or one of the other ones. Basically the way it works is the buyer sends payment to the escrow company. Once they secure the payment, the seller transfers the domain name to the buyer. Once escrow confirms the buyer received the domain, the release payment to the seller. I don't use escrow for smaller deals but there are always risks with that.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I have been browsing here for months but had to sign up once I saw this topic. Here are the 3 questions I thought of immediately.
1. When you say "developing domain names", what do you mean specifically? Do you buy one with "good" authority, make it "great" and then sell? If so, what are some tips for going about this? I know quality, original content is going to get natural traffic and backlinks, but what is the payoff for the work you are putting in (or money if you outsource the content)?
2. I realize PR is not as important as it used to be, but I am still curious what links from other sites are worth. For example, if I have a PR 0 site and I get a backlink from a PR7 site (on PR page), how much is that really worth in terms of PR or PA?
3. I was recently looking at a few expiring domain names with PR6-8, but when I checked the backlink profile they had very few links (for example, one actually had only 4 links from PR 2-6 sites). Of course PR can be faked but I checked these and it was real - no redirects or anything. Does this seem correct?
Thanks a lot for offering your knowledge.

1. I buy domain names that I like, regardless of authority, and I develop it (I turn it into a website). However, I don't do this to resell the website. I just develop the websites for myself to turn them into businesses. What you are referring to is something else and can also be done. You can either buy domains (with or without value), turn them into websites, and sell them. You can sell them as turnkey sites (which means you never advertised them and they get no traffic/revenue). Or you can market them so they are making money and sell them as "established websites" (I am using flippa terminology here to make it easier). You can also just buy websites, fix them up or advertise them a little and flip them for a profit. As far as the investment/work you put in and what you get out of it...that just depends on a whole lot of different factors. I'd be happy to discuss this more with you if you're interested.

2. To be honest i'm not even sure if Google still updates their PR. I know they stopped updating the PR a few months ago, not sure if they started up again. I would focus more on domain authority and other metrics from moz.com. Also to answer your specific question, there is no real way to know. The higher authority the site that links back to you, the better. There is no way to know the value of it.

3. How do you know it wasn't fake. It could still have been faked which is what likely happened here. Also it's possible it could have had a lot of quality high PR back links in the past that have now been removed.

It's set to expire early 2015. After a domain name expires, what exactly happens? How can I then purchase the domain I want for myself?
Every registrar has a different process it goes through but generally:
http://www.pixelmade.com/blog/domain-names/domain-name-expiration-process

Also you are assuming he won't renew the domain or it isn't set to automatically renew

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
1. I'd be happy to discuss this more with you if you're interested.

3. How do you know it wasn't fake. It could still have been faked which is what likely happened here. Also it's possible it could have had a lot of quality high PR back links in the past that have now been removed.

I am very interested in hearing more. Even an example of just one site you developed and why it worked. I have developed so many sites and made very little money. My "creative" ideas dont' make money so at one point I even went after a high-paying adwords site (or so I thought) about lasik surgery, the history, the process before and after, the costs. I am good with on-page SEO. It ranked on the first page of google for a few terms including "what is lasik," which at the time showed several hundred thousand searches a month globally. But I only made under $5 a month from the site.

I have been taught PR is faked mostly redirecting the site to a page with high PR. I mean at the time of the auction, the most trusted "PR checkers" were still showing the PR as high, as well as the "FAKE PR checkers" saying it was real.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I am very interested in hearing more. Even an example of just one site you developed and why it worked. I have developed so many sites and made very little money. My "creative" ideas dont' make money so at one point I even went after a high-paying adwords site (or so I thought) about lasik surgery, the history, the process before and after, the costs. I am good with on-page SEO. It ranked on the first page of google for a few terms including "what is lasik," which at the time showed several hundred thousand searches a month globally. But I only made under $5 a month from the site.
I have been taught PR is faked mostly redirecting the site to a page with high PR. I mean at the time of the auction, the most trusted "PR checkers" were still showing the PR as high, as well as the "FAKE PR checkers" saying it was real.

Well the first thing I will tell you is to ignore PR. No one who knows anything cares about it. It's basically a useless metric these days.

As far as your own site...how were you monetizing the website? The best way to sell a website for a good amount of $ is for it to already generate traffic and revenue. I've done a lot of research on the sold listings on flippa and most of them have the same things in common, they are already profitable. For e.g., I sold legalhelp.org for $25,000 on flippa after I built it up so it was generating traffic and revenue.

Think about things in term of value. If you just build a site using one of your "creative" ideas, but it doesn't really appeal to consumers, or doesn't generate traffic/revenue, how much value are you trying to sell to someone? Probably not a lot which is why it doesn't sell for a lot.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
Well the first thing I will tell you is to ignore PR. No one who knows anything cares about it. It's basically a useless metric these days.

As far as your own site...how were you monetizing the website? The best way to sell a website for a good amount of $ is for it to already generate traffic and revenue. I've done a lot of research on the sold listings on flippa and most of them have the same things in common, they are already profitable. For e.g., I sold legalhelp.org for $25,000 on flippa after I built it up so it was generating traffic and revenue.

Think about things in term of value. If you just build a site using one of your "creative" ideas, but it doesn't really appeal to consumers, or doesn't generate traffic/revenue, how much value are you trying to sell to someone? Probably not a lot which is why it doesn't sell for a lot.

I was only using adsense. I was considering selling ads to offices in big cities for terms like "best lasik surgeon San Francisco" for example, but right around that time Google started showing their own local directory listing and map and all pushing other listings down the page. I am pretty terrible at direct sales anyway.

Did you do any direct ad sales for the legalhelp site? Where did most of your traffic come from?

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
My traffic was all organic as I specialize in SEO. I didn't do direct sales, I just had a lead gen form. If I did direct sales I could have made a lot more. How much traffic were you receiving?

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
My traffic was all organic as I specialize in SEO. I didn't do direct sales, I just had a lead gen form. If I did direct sales I could have made a lot more. How much traffic were you receiving?

Less than 50/day. Maybe I wasn't high enough on the first page of Google, or maybe their search numbers were way off for the main term I was targeting. Do you have a contract to sell the leads ahead of time or as you go?

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I just sign up with an affiliate program that I can use who buy my leads. Directories are generally hard to make money with unless you get a ton of traffic. Maybe you should focus on building up your own site to make $ instead of trying to sell it to someone else.

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
Hi Yury,

Thanks for doing this AMA.

Last year I set out to build a blog network for SEO purposes and I ended up buying more domains than I need. I currently have a few dozen built and hosted domains that have some good metrics such as domain and page authority, backlinks, referring domains, trust and citation flows.
I've listed them on GD auctions and only a few of them sold.

My questions:
Where do you recommend selling domains that are mostly good for SEO?
What platform do you recommend for buying domains with high DA and PA?
Do you use a domain management tool?

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
My questions:
Where do you recommend selling domains that are mostly good for SEO?
What platform do you recommend for buying domains with high DA and PA?
Do you use a domain management tool?

Selling domains? You can try flippa or domain name forums. You can also try SEO forums. Google has been penalizing blog networks so unless yours are super tight and don't have any foot prints, it could be a tough sell based on the seo value alone.

i don't focus on buying domains with high DA and PA. I buy domains because of it's inherent value, or if I need it for development purposes. However, I have seen some good domains with good stats for sale on Flippa

I don't use any domain management tools.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Let me start by saying that I am not a full time domainer but it has been a hobby of mine for many years. I have made a nice profit buying/selling domain names as a hobby over the years (e.g. I flipped the domain lawyer.info from 2,500 to 10,000 within 2 months). However, my bigger hobby and passion is developing domain names.

I also approach domain names from various angles (market, seo, etc..).

If you have any questions about domain names, the value, the impact it can have on SEO or other marketing channels, ask away.

How much should I spend to buy Google.com?

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Yury - I was just thinking about this and haven't done any research yet, but is there such a thing as a "virtual estate" agent? Like real estate for the Internet?

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Yury - I was just thinking about this and haven't done any research yet, but is there such a thing as a "virtual estate" agent? Like real estate for the Internet?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. There are domain name lawyers, domain name brokers, domain name consultants. They can each help you find a domain name, negotiate deals, etc...

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
Selling domains? You can try flippa or domain name forums. You can also try SEO forums. Google has been penalizing blog networks so unless yours are super tight and don't have any foot prints, it could be a tough sell based on the seo value alone.

i don't focus on buying domains with high DA and PA. I buy domains because of it's inherent value, or if I need it for development purposes. However, I have seen some good domains with good stats for sale on Flippa

I don't use any domain management tools.

I'm not selling networks, just individual domains that were built to be used in a blog network and ended up not using them.

Which SEO forum would you recommend?

Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!