The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does anybody have advice in business to business sales?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Mike4424

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2014
I've recently started up a business idea of mine. I'm doing marketing for car dealerships, a lot of it has to do with handling their internet presence when they seem to have none. I'm at the point where I'm finally ready to start letting the dealerships know about this, and have made brochures and a portfolio for a meeting. My question is should I just show up at the business and drop off the brochure for them to check over and come back later? Or should I give the dealerships a call before hand and try and get a meeting? I'm afraid of calling them before-hand and getting the response of we're not interested in this spam phone marketing. Showing up in person might be more appealing than getting a cold call, but then I risk the owner or manager not being available.

Any advice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I've recently started up a business idea of mine. I'm doing marketing for car dealerships, a lot of it has to do with handling their internet presence when they seem to have none. I'm at the point where I'm finally ready to start letting the dealerships know about this, and have made brochures and a portfolio for a meeting. My question is should I just show up at the business and drop off the brochure for them to check over and come back later? Or should I give the dealerships a call before hand and try and get a meeting? I'm afraid of calling them before-hand and getting the response of we're not interested in this spam phone marketing. Showing up in person might be more appealing than getting a cold call, but then I risk the owner or manager not being available.

Any advice?
Get over it. Seriously, you're going to get over the fear and pick up phone.

From a post I made in an INSIDERS's thread...

"I made a "Dream 100" list. This was a list of 100 companies I felt I could had tons of value to in regards to digital marketing. I researched them extensively using manta.com, linkedin, their website, making phone calls, etc. I then used fedex (large envelope) to send an introductory letter and it explained that I would call them within a couple days of them receiving the letter (actually gave them the date and time range to expect the call). This worked incredibly well. I even had some that called me right away."

Mike4424

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2014
Get over it. Seriously, you're going to get over the fear and pick up phone.

From a post I made in an INSIDERS's thread...

"I made a "Dream 100" list. This was a list of 100 companies I felt I could had tons of value to in regards to digital marketing. I researched them extensively using manta.com, linkedin, their website, making phone calls, etc. I then used fedex (large envelope) to send an introductory letter and it explained that I would call them within a couple days of them receiving the letter (actually gave them the date and time range to expect the call). This worked incredibly well. I even had some that called me right away."
It's not that I'm scared of the phone call, but I don't want to give them the wrong impression on the phone sounding like a telemarketer. I want to know which option has the higher chance of making the sale, cold calling or walking in a dropping off a brochure.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
This is one of the industries that I cater to.

I'm at the point where I'm finally ready to start letting the dealerships know about this, and have made brochures and a portfolio for a meeting.

Brochures are a waste of time. Flyers are a waste of time. If you're sitting there in MS Word making print materials without any clients then you are waisting your time. You need to pick up the phone and start calling. The only thing between now and calling that I would be doing is writing a script with a good hook.

My question is should I just show up at the business and drop off the brochure for them to check over and come back later?

No, don't do that. Chances are that they won't check it over. One thing that you need to realize about B2B is that these people are extremely busy..you have to stay onto of them even after they pay you. Dropping off a brochure is only going to put more time between you and closing the deal..and time kills everything.

Go in there with the intent to set up a meeting. Bring some materials with you and only leave the materials if they ask for it. But chances are that you already lost them if they are asking you to leave materials behind. If you do leave something behind then try to get something, such as their personal cell number so you can text them after.

I'm afraid of calling them before-hand and getting the response of we're not interested in this spam phone marketing. Showing up in person might be more appealing than getting a cold call, but then I risk the owner or manager not being available.

With this mentality you are already dead. People at dealerships are sales people. They see value in sales and spend a lot of money on marketing. If you're afraid to call because you think that you'll sound "spammy" then that simply means that you don't believe in what you're offering..so why even bother?

Find a script, adapt it to what you're doing, call them up and making a huge claim. Make it clear that you want to sell them something that will bring value to their business. Setup a meeting for as soon as possible, even if it's an hour later. then follow-up with them like crazy after the meeting. That's how you close people.

You'll learn...just get started asap

Btw- it also helps to keep a list of all of the mistakes that you make (or think you make) then research how to do it better next time.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Set up a relatable page with relevant local keywords.
Put Google analytics on it.
Once you have enough data compile a report and show them they missed X amount of customers for their target market.

I do this with clients that are tough to crack. If you feel it's a profitable client run some AdWords traffic to show them what people are searching and who they are missing out on.

Since they can't "see" the pain of lost customers you have to show them.

But you have to call to do any of this.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
1. Let me give you a little encouragement - I just wrote a 1.2M contract B2B based off a cold call. They were happy as hell I called. So it's your choice if you don't want to make that call.

2. Practical advice - Pull some phone numbers for dealers in some far off state. Call them. Take the call feedback and craft your call. (Remember you don't want business in XYZ state anyway). When you build up confidence (should take 5-8 calls) then call your local companies.

3. Make a negative reward system (or copy mine). Every time a cold call customer hangs up on me - I treat myself to a beer at the bar later. Every time a cold call customer cusses me out - I treat myself to lunch at a swank place. It's a win either way.

4. F - brochures. I don't even have a business card.

5. Post your call results here tomorrow and I will drop some major B2B call knowledge-bombs on you. :)

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
2. Practical advice - Pull some phone numbers for dealers in some far off state. Call them. Take the call feedback and craft your call. (Remember you don't want business in XYZ state anyway). When you build up confidence (should take 5-8 calls) then call your local companies.

This is exactly what I did when I first started cold calling. I called people across the country and it's a good thing that I did because they were hanging up on me left and right until I figured out my script. I remember one time someone hung up on me the moment that the first word came out of my mouth haha.. That's some great advice to anybody starting out.

Mike4424

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2014
This is one of the industries that I cater to.

Brochures are a waste of time. Flyers are a waste of time. If you're sitting there in MS Word making print materials without any clients then you are waisting your time. You need to pick up the phone and start calling. The only thing between now and calling that I would be doing is writing a script with a good hook.

No, don't do that. Chances are that they won't check it over. One thing that you need to realize about B2B is that these people are extremely busy..you have to stay onto of them even after they pay you. Dropping off a brochure is only going to put more time between you and closing the deal..and time kills everything.

Go in there with the intent to set up a meeting. Bring some materials with you and only leave the materials if they ask for it. But chances are that you already lost them if they are asking you to leave materials behind. If you do leave something behind then try to get something, such as their personal cell number so you can text them after.

With this mentality you are already dead. People at dealerships are sales people. They see value in sales and spend a lot of money on marketing. If you're afraid to call because you think that you'll sound "spammy" then that simply means that you don't believe in what you're offering..so why even bother?

Find a script, adapt it to what you're doing, call them up and making a huge claim. Make it clear that you want to sell them something that will bring value to their business. Setup a meeting for as soon as possible, even if it's an hour later. then follow-up with them like crazy after the meeting. That's how you close people.

You'll learn...just get started asap

Btw- it also helps to keep a list of all of the mistakes that you make (or think you make) then research how to do it better next time.
Blunt but good information. I'll work on a template for a script and give them a call. I wasn't sure that they'd pay attention to a phone call, I thought going in person might make them more likely to become interested but I'm now thinking maybe calling first would be better.

Mike4424

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2014
1. Let me give you a little encouragement - I just wrote a 1.2M contract B2B based off a cold call. They were happy as hell I called. So it's your choice if you don't want to make that call.

3. Make a negative reward system (or copy mine). Every time a cold call customer hangs up on me - I treat myself to a beer at the bar later. Every time a cold call customer cusses me out - I treat myself to lunch at a swank place. It's a win either way.

4. F - brochures. I don't even have a business card.

5. Post your call results here tomorrow and I will drop some major B2B call knowledge-bombs on you. :)
Wow, these are awesome ideas. I love the beer one, I may have to copy that one from you. And I didn't even think about calling a "test" dealership. I'll keep you posted for sure.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
As a recipient of telemarker calls (which I screen by letting calls go to VM), I prefer direct mail or email. I open it and consider it at my leisure. And while no one has done this yet, if someone had screenshots of my positioning in Google SERPs, where my website was deficient, perhaps a misspelling on a page or something, I'd probably call or email them before they called me. I know cold calling works for a lot of people (and worked in my previous business ventures) - just my 2 cents as I am now sitting on the other side of the phone.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
As a recipient of telemarker calls (which I screen by letting calls go to VM), I prefer direct mail or email. I open it and consider it at my leisure. And while no one has done this yet, if someone had screenshots of my positioning in Google SERPs, where my website was deficient, perhaps a misspelling on a page or something, I'd probably call or email them before they called me. I know cold calling works for a lot of people (and worked in my previous business ventures) - just my 2 cents as I am now sitting on the other side of the phone.
And this is why I contact clients with direct info pertaining to them, not a script.

Kreedos Phoenix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Nov 30, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Some good stuff in this thread...Here is a bit I can add:

• I treat the gatekeeper like the CEO
  • I only give so much info in my opener in order to avoid the "We dont need that/we're already working with someone"
  • Be prepared to leave a TON of voicemails
  • 60 calls a day (I still struggle with this one) is a solid number to work up to consistently, but 100 could yield quicker results

• Scripts rule and if you want victories find someone to role play with before you get on the phone...otherwise you're going to practice on potential customers, leaving dollars on the table

• I like to stand up and walk around while talking on the phone...Posture is everything. Head up, shoulders back. You MUST OWN THE CALL.

• I like to ask permission to ask questions, it tends to extend the conversation.

Most salespeople are either distracted, or do not know where they are in the sales process...find ways to avoid those pitfalls and success will be your lady. Pay attention and focus! Brevity is key.

Good luck!

-Freed

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
And this is why I contact clients with direct info pertaining to them, not a script.

If I were getting started with car dealerships, I'd spend a couple hours analyzing their exiting online presence, the ads they run, the copy they use on their craigslist ads, etc. Then put together some "flaw sheets" where you essentially say "you're already doing this, let me show you why it's not as effective as it could be. Oh BTW I help companies like yours fix this stuff, and I'm not as expensive as you think. Want to talk?"

To help you with this, I recommend getting a semrush or spyfu subscription so you can do some keyword, traffic and competition analysis, and screenshot the dashboard to show them how they stack up against the competition and how they can improve. That way you have both the qualitative ("your website sucks") and quantitative ("here are they numbers that prove I'm right") data to show prospective clients. It will also make you feel more confident that you know how to best help your potential client attack the competition.

edit: BTW, you should still expect to be rejected 80-90% of the time with this approach. However, your sales process will probably be much smoother for those 10-20% that actually take an interest because they will welcome further explanantion and an in-person meeting. You can be more efficient with this approach through cold emails followed by the analysis for those who show an interest (eg - "I've taken a look at your online positioning and noticed several areas where you could use some improvement. I've also noticed some specific techniques that your compeition is profitably using to steal business from you. Would you like me to share my findings with you? I'd be happy to put a report together and email it to you in a couple days.").

Maybe @RHL has some suggestions?

Last edited:

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
If I were getting started with car dealerships, I'd spend a couple hours analyzing their exiting online presence, the ads they run, the copy they use on their craigslist ads, etc. Then put together some "flaw sheets" where you essentially say "you're already doing this, let me show you why it's not as effective as it could be. Oh BTW I help companies like yours fix this stuff, and I'm not as expensive as you think. Want to talk?"

How much time do you spend analyzing before you call? It seems like you would really customize the pitch to the prospect, which is great. I never figured out how to make that work though.

I do it a little different

I start out with a basic script. I call and let them tell me what their pain point is. For me it's all about numbers. I have a formula. I know that if I call x people per day then should make $x.xx. But I have never called for more than a $10,000 sale, so I don't know what it's like going in for the bigger clients. I guess that's when research becomes more important.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Blunt but good information. I'll work on a template for a script and give them a call. I wasn't sure that they'd pay attention to a phone call, I thought going in person might make them more likely to become interested but I'm now thinking maybe calling first would be better.

I tried that myself without calling. I either walked in at a bad time or they weren't there. Keep in mind that if you're going after used car businesses then the owner might be at car auction looking for new inventory, they could be out in the field, or with a customer. I think that it's more time and cost effective for you to call first to see if they are there.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
How much time do you spend analyzing before you call? It seems like you would really customize the pitch to the prospect, which is great. I never figured out how to make that work though.
Maybe 45 minutes depending on the prospective client. I think it's just a different way to approach the numbers game (high volume/untailored vs low volume/highly tailored). I personally just feel more comfortable with this approach as opposed to cold calling, perhaps because I feel I provide immediate value directly to the client and demonstrate my compentency/knowledge right off the bat.

I think both approaches work just fine - there is devil in the details in both have have to be worked out with experimentation. For me, I can't waste too much time on businesses that are unlikely to say yes or be interested. Learning how to target business that are ready/willing to accept my help is my challenge. I'd venture that perfecting your script is yours.

Mike4424

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2014
Another thing you guys might have more experience with, when you would call a business and get the receptionist on the line, how do you go about asking for a manager/owner? Just flat out say "I'm wondering if the owner/manager would be available?" Should I mention that I'm calling from my company or just say "My name is ____ and I'm wondering if I could speak to the owner?"
I feel as if leaving info with the receptionist will lead to him/her telling me "he's very busy," so I'm assuming I shouldn't give them much info on my call.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Another thing you guys might have more experience with, when you would call a business and get the receptionist on the line, how do you go about asking for a manager/owner? Just flat out say "I'm wondering if the owner/manager would be available?" Should I mention that I'm calling from my company or just say "My name is ____ and I'm wondering if I could speak to the owner?"
I feel as if leaving info with the receptionist will lead to him/her telling me "he's very busy," so I'm assuming I shouldn't give them much info on my call.

I did what I could to get the name of the person in charge ("hi, can I speak to John Smith please?"). The receptionist 90% of the time would transfer me without further question.

If I couldn't I would go "Hi, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind helping me out - I own a business that xxx and I noticed that your company would be a perfect fit for xxx. Would you know who I might be able to talk to about that?" This approach worked 50% of the time. I'd usually then get a "sure, let me transfer you to Mike Jones, he usually handles that." I get sent to VM, leave a message, make a note of the name, then call back a day or two later saying "Hi, can I be transfered to Mike Jones please?" (see above)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Pick up the phone and do it. All of your questions will be answered. Start out of your area and get good. Then hit the locals.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Use public resources to find out the owners name.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I used to do something similar. Email a screenshot of the Google Keyword Planner and estimated monthly search volumes of people searching for whatever the business is selling.

Then another screenshot of the Google search results page.

It's quite compelling to see your competitors there and not you.

Since then I've relied on word of mouth, and am going to try a new tactic (for me) of generating a lead first and THEN ringing the business with the lead.

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond

Personally, I think templates and "prepd-up" scripts don't work. (For me).

1. Research about the client. Find out how "YOUR SOLUTION" relates to "THEIR PROBLEMS" and can help solve it

2. Let them know about their problems and the possible BENEFITS of the solution via an email/letter.
(Tell them you'll put a call thru at a certain date)

3. Put a call thru (rep your company not yourself). Remind them about the letter/email.

4. Show right up at the door and put a valuable FREE offer up that will solve that problem and tell them how you will help them solve it

Don't sell anything yet. They don't trust you. You gotta prove what you can do.
Also, nobody rejects a FREE offer especially when it is beneficial to them and solves a nagging problem
Every company within the industry you are tryna help solve that problem relates to it differently
Some companies don't even know they have such problems.

No brochures or flyers, man!

I once went to several offices (were I flopped real bad!).
I noticed at the end of the convo the only thing they ever heard was FREE. I was busy talking about me all the while.

P.S: You gotta experience it to do it right.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Personally, I think templates and "prepd-up" scripts don't work. (For me).

They didn't work for me until I learned how to do it. Here's the basic structure that I follow:

- Open/Introduction/Big Claim/Hook - Must all happen in one line.
- 3/4 qualifying questions - This is where you see if you're talking to the right person, if they will buy, and discover their pain point. Sometimes the hardest part is just getting to the person who has the authority to pay.
- Close & Get their confirmation - 99% of the time you're closing for a follow-up call/apt.
- Get out of call

I'm probably forgetting a step in there, but that's what I do. As you can see I'm not completely locked into a script. I have room to move around and adjust based on the person on the other end. The script basically provides a template so I can stay on task and measure my results. Sales is part art and part science/math. I can't just wing it without structure because then how would I be able to measure anything?

Don't sell anything yet. They don't trust you. You gotta prove what you can do.

You're selling from the moment that you pick up the phone. If you're not actually pitching your product then you're still selling yourself as a person worth staying on the phone with, you just don't realize that. If you can add value to someone's business then why be so afraid to sell? It all comes down to value. I can walk into a dealership today and close them by the end of next week because I make it clear that the money that they invest an investment that will 100x itself.

Also, nobody rejects a FREE offer especially when it is beneficial to them and solves a nagging problem

I think it depends on your industry and product. In B2B I have had people reject free because they also think in terms of a time investment. There are dozens of people doing the same thing as me in my industry. I charge 5x more. Sometimes raising your prices works better.

No brochures or flyers, man!

I def agree with that!

I'm not really that great at actually selling. And I don't really like cold calling. I'm convinced that the only reason why I sell is because I have a really good system in place, I take it very serious, and I'm a nice person.

You also need to consider scalability of the sales process. Doing hours worth of research might work for you but what happens when you add sales people? Is it really that scalable. My guess is no, but I wouldn't mind to hear someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike4424

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2014
Awesome information. Also, if anyone is looking for a really cheap, quick resource for business information I've found that Manta is awesome. Basically found every owner's name from this website so far.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
Nothing really to add here. So much great advice in this thread, I'm in awe. Print it out and put it in a binder. More value here than in all the expensive books and time consuming sales guru's seminars and trainings I've shelled out for over the years! Damn, I'm glad I found this site.

Cheers,
O-2

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 17, 2015
Depending where you live, there are companies that offer info sources for business to business. Here in Canada it's infogroup.ca
They give you a list with every business name and the owner of the company (ir. Jon Greene 7804564567). while doing b2b myself, I found that calling ahead knowing who to ask for gave me more credibility than walking in and asking to speak with the owner.

GregK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 10, 2014
Doing some research on your prospective clients is major. In my slowlane job I am doing b2b sales. The sales cycle in my industry is pretty long sometimes and the industry is crowded.

Getting past the gatekeepers is another important task, the receptionist or secretary will block callers often. Key is to call early in the day, even before/after business hours when the gatekeeper has gone home.

Good thing with b2b is that they are value minded. With the right proposition you can get better than 25% success rates.

My fast lane business though is slow :) but I'm grinding.

Last edited:

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
This sounds like Grant Cardone's alley all the way. Get on the phone!

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
From the marketing perspective, why dont you launch your brand on Social media first and run Google paid ads to have the initial branding setup? Target the geographies that you want to initally concentrate on. Let these people see your ads pop up. After sometime, have a tele-marketing campaign run to ensure they are educated about the product. Do not hard sell at first.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.