The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you really need to read 52 books this year? And other media consumption.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I'm in a mastermind group and one guy brought up how one of his goals this year was to read a book a week. Not just any book, but business related, money motivation, entrepreneurship books.

What the hell?

Honestly, how many books can you read before the same information gets rehashed in a different way? I'm all for reading, but when you put a number on it that high it's almost a self induced paralysis by analysis. Granted he's been doing this business thing for years and has been making constant moves always higher than the last, but still.

I love to read non-fiction, but not when I force it. If I need to learn how to do X, I'll read it til I understand it. I'm not going to force myself to read another leadership book or other inane topic.

Another thing...

How many times do I need to hear how so and so would spend $500 in an alternate world similar to earth? I pretty much quit listening to all podcasts in my free time, mostly because they ended up being more entertaining to listen to than work. When I was working 40 hours a week moving box A across the room to slot A it was nice motivation and helped pass the time. When I'm driving from city 1 to city 2 it makes sense.

When I'm trying to get work done? No thanks.

BRB, going to go sit in classes. Luckily I have 2 and a half months left before I can sell all my stuff, hop in my car with as much as it can hold, and drive to the Southwest. Forget this cold and I hear Vegas has incredibly low cost of living...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I believe reading is a profoundly worthwhile activity, like writing, and I feel like is a must to read a lot to be successful.
The rare moments I didn't read a lot in my life are the moments I remember myself being most devoid of action.

So, on one hand, I don't believe there is too much reading, per se.
That said, reading books should not become a proxy to not take action. That is what happens to far too many. If you read all morning instead of working hard, you got yourself an avoidance problem. If you take an hour after lunch to read and close the book on time, than great, the reading will stimulate your mind and relax your soul.

On your point about repetition: well, of course you will find repetition if you read bad books.
One must learn to throw away bad books, instead of finishing them. I know it's hard: we feel somehow a duty to finish books even if they make us yawn with banality. You can't avoid them: most people who write review are either fake or morons. Pick books up, and just skim when they are mostly dirt.
Nowadays I skim through most books.

Good books don't just contain good information, but also have something else; a verve, if you will. It's in the voice, in the style. When you find such a book, even if you already know the stuff, you feel close to the author. That's hard, and it's what good writers do.

As for podcasts and blogs: I agree. I avoid reading/listening too much. Most people who write blogs are incapable of original thought. It's just how it is.
There are, however, gems out there.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
99% of those books are exactly the same. I surely can't name 52 of them that are each unique/different. There are a handful of great ones, but at some point you're not taking away anything new.

Reading a book a week is a good goal. To actually achieve a goal like that, you have to prioritize reading over other activities. Reading all kinds of different books on all kinds of different topics is certainly a better use of time than watching Family Guy. Look at Bill Gates and the amount of reading he does over a broad amount of topics.

I disagree with your premise that reading a book a week is analysis by paralysis. Most books are 250-350 pages. If you read 1.5 pages per minute, that's 200 minutes to get through a 300 page book. Over 7 days, that comes out to 28.5 minutes per day. Spending about half an hour reading every day, even if it's 50 Shades of Grey, is not inhibiting your success. That's like watching 1 episode of TV per day.

I think your friend is incorrect for only wanting to read the same information rehashed rather than broadening their horizons. But if that's what he wants to do, fine. What I don't like is when people use "I need to read books x, y, and z" as an excuse before they can take action on anything. If your friend just likes reading motivational books to keep him working hard the rest of the time, I don't see how it's any of our places to tell him he's doing anything wrong.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
And on the podcast thing, I agree that EoF gets very repetitive. You're much better off cherry picking specific episodes. Listening to them all is a waste, especially because several of the guests don't seem all that successful. Many of them just work jobs that they created for themselves.

Although you specifically picked on the $500 question, I actually like that one. It's interesting to hear successful people talk about how they'd do it if they had to start all over again.

For me, the annoying questions are the "internet resource" and "one habit that contributes to your success" questions. Surprise surprise, most successful people have the same sort of productivity habits. I tend to zone out on those.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
And on the podcast thing, I agree that EoF gets very repetitive. You're much better off cherry picking specific episodes. Listening to them all is a waste, especially because several of the guests don't seem all that successful. Many of them just work jobs that they created for themselves.

Although you specifically picked on the $500 question, I actually like that one. It's interesting to hear successful people talk about how they'd do it if they had to start all over again.

For me, the annoying questions are the "internet resource" and "one habit that contributes to your success" questions. Surprise surprise, most successful people have the same sort of productivity habits. I tend to zone out on those.
It wasn't so much that portion of the podcast, which isn't bad (although pretty damn repetitive), I just figured a lot of people would get the reference. I could have and probably should have gone with the "what was you aha moment?".

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
It wasn't so much that portion of the podcast, which isn't bad (although pretty damn repetitive), I just figured a lot of people would get the reference. I could have and probably should have gone with the "what was you aha moment?".

Oh that one's pretty bad.

Babies. Got it.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
I get what you're trying to say. Don't take this wrong but I have no other way to put it...

Why does it matter what someone else chooses to do?

We live ONE life. We have ONE chance. Knowing this, live your life the way YOU want it. Don't question, mock, turn your nose up at anyone for something they choose to do. If you feel you have a better way of doing things, do it your way. A friend here on the forum taught me to compare myself to no one but the previous day's self. That's it.

Good for him on the reading goal btw. I hope he hits the goals he deems important.

I hope you do too.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I go for 2 books a month. Cant imagine doing 4. Id probably off myself. But different people enjoy different things.

Ive kinda learned to read quicker now too. I used to feel shame if I didnt read every word of a book. But you eventually find that most books are generally either saying the same things, or are 300 pages when the actual idea could have been conveyed in 100 pages. So now ill just skim over the little anecdotal stories and such and focus more on the meaty parts of the book.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
The last two books I read are the lean startup and 7 steps to freedom.

Both business books. Both completely different. Completely different lessons. I could easily name the previous 50 as well and say the same thing.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I read books every week, but I would say from all genres. My point of reading thought is to become a better writer, and the more you read, the better you write. One thing I've learned is it helps to become more direct and clearer in your writing, and to the point. I write every day as well, so that is taking action. Which if you write blogs, articles, short stories, novels, novella's and poems, there's all different types of writing.
And to write you have to have ideas, creativity, a lot of knowledge for characters, and just about any topic your character would be an expert.

I've read 400 short reads/since October, so I'm way beyond 52 reads. Non-fiction is repetitive, and if they are, I usually do skim. Which I find in business books, self-help books, and success books. Unless it seems to be something unique and interesting I don't barge into those as much anymore. Fiction on the other hand I do read, but I also read to see what my competition is writing. The only thing I've been reading lately is fiction and writing/grammar books.

I believe it depends on what you're reading for, and I do have to agree it is a waste of time if you can't use it, and apply it to business.

Ses

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 14, 2014
What does BRB mean? Be right back does not really fit in there..

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
Another thing...

How many times do I need to hear how so and so would spend $500 in an alternate world similar to earth? .

LOL! I thought I was the only one! After a few weeks of that podcast I gave up.

But to your original question: I think it's a huge waste of time to read that many books for the sake of reading them. I only read what interests me, nothing more. Also, the knowledge you're hoping to absorb from those 52 books will be lost as soon as you read the next one.

I personally prefer to reread books that touch/teach me the most and commit the knowledge from those books to my memory and heart. Seems like a better use of my time in my opinion.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
If you have psychological issues that hold you back, then reading & listening to self help & success materials can help. Otherwise, what's really going to make you money is (1) being skilled in your business, and (2) finding ways to increase the marketing of your products. Every so often you should seriously look for new markets or new ways of marketing that will greatly increase the exposure and availability of your products to more people. That really multiplies your income. But of course you also need an array of good products to sell too. I think mostly you should learn things that will directly help you make more money. Don't read just to read. And don't spend much time reading philosphical things. I think studying how to expand your business is worthwhile.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Audiobooks and podcasts help brainwash me into being more productive. I know that my business plan makes sense long-term, but there are doubts that arise on a day-to-day basis. Listening to people who have done it, and understanding that they went through what I'm sometimes going through, that keeps me going and confident.

Plus, acquiring knowledge is a hobby of mine. After I hit my goals for the day, I prefer learning something new vs watching tv or playing videos games.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
One of the worst rants I've read in a long time..

You are going to ignore knowledge and learning that is completely free because it sounds like you have some deeper issue that makes you resentful of that guys goal..

You can keep your closed mind and I will keep reading and listening to more information.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I just like to read. Reading to me is a prepardness if you will. It equips you. Like putting all the lights in a billboard and then when your preparation and devotion and opportunity all collides and you can apply XYZ lesson learned from a book to what it is you are going through, when having not read said XYZ book you wouldn't know how to react. Reading THAT much does seem excessive. 2 books a month works fine

also yes, if you are forcing it and churning it out. It becomes like homework, something just glanced over, vague and foggy. Your brain didn't drink it in and you are probably thinking of other things while reading it. No focus from forced work.

Winning

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Mar 8, 2014
Not to go off-topic, but do you all think that audiobooks gives the same sense of learning as reading? I am not a slow reader by any means but I've been meaning to sign up for a service like Audible to listen to more books throughout my day.

I definitely have to start reading more. The last book I read was.... you guessed it.. The Millionaire Fastlane . Why don't I have the badge? Haha I want it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Funny, I will briefly talk about this on Friday during my presentation at the Fastlane Summit... at least, the fundamental gist of your rant.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Not to go off-topic, but do you all think that audiobooks gives the same sense of learning as reading? I am not a slow reader by any means but I've been meaning to sign up for a service like Audible to listen to more books throughout my day.

I definitely have to start reading more. The last book I read was.... you guessed it.. The Millionaire Fastlane . Why don't I have the badge? Haha I want it.

Audiobooks are better for me than actual books. If I start an audiobook, I'm guaranteed to finish it.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

It depends on your learning style. If you're a visual learner, seeing words on a page may help you. If you're an auditory learner, listening may be best. If you're a Kinesthetic learner, forget both, and just start doing shit. You'll learn as you go. Kinesthetics are badass because they actually make shit happen. haha

I love audiobooks, especially for times when I can't do other stuff, like buying groceries.

Winning

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Mar 8, 2014
@AgainstAllOdds @SinisterLex Good points. I think that the different types of learning resonate better with different people. I think that in the end, as long as you are absorbing new info, it doesn't matter the medium.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
One of the worst rants I've read in a long time..

You are going to ignore knowledge and learning that is completely free because it sounds like you have some deeper issue that makes you resentful of that guys goal..

You can keep your closed mind and I will keep reading and listening to more information.
lol k

Fenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 16, 2014
Do you know what is more useful than 52 books per year?

Taking part to 52 meetups per year.

Like books on business, money, motivation, etc... you're going to listen the same thing again and again, but you're going to meet very unlikely the same people, so your network will become larger.

Who dare to give little value to a bigger network? :)

You could even meet the same people, but that's not a negative thing, not at all. In this way you'll create stronger bonds with like-minded people.

you agree, don't you?

Last edited:

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Do you know what is more useful than 52 books per year?

Taking part to 52 meetups per year.

Like books on business, money, motivation, etc... you're going to listen the same thing again and again, but you're going to meet very unlikely the same people, so your network will become larger.

Who dare to give little value to a bigger network? :)

You could even meet the same people, but that's not a negative thing, not at all. In this way you'll create stronger bonds with like-minded people.

Don't you agree?
That's cash! I'll read a book when I want, I don't make it a set thing. I'll listen to podcasts as background noise. But ever Sunday at noon my group gets together, we talk about goals and failures and whatnot, and we CONNECT each other with other people in our network. I mentioned I needed a graphic designer, one guy hooked me up with a friend of his on FB and we're mixing things up for a nice sized discount, because that middle man.

We've brought in new people who bring something new to the table, and the network grows. I guarantee if I needed to do XXX, I could sent a FB message to that message group and get linked up with someone in 48 hours.

omar

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 16, 2013
The big thing about reading that people don't get is that it changes your mindset. You get to see how successful people think. To me thats just as important as "taking action."

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
The big thing about reading that people don't get is that it changes your mindset. You get to see how successful people think. To me thats just as important as "taking action."
You get what they tell you. Like the man, his name is lost on me right now, who just came out with a new money book. Basically telling you to invest, 40 year job, retire rich, even though that's not how he got rich. You cannot believe everything your read because it's in a book.

Create your own story. Create your own mindset. There's so much dick-riding when it comes to these motivational speakers, entrepreneurs, etc that people just end up living vicariously through their(the author's) achievements while they(the readers) are barely making a ripple in the ocean.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.