The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do Pre-Orders Really Work?

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Hi, I have been building a brand for a few months now, as I am sure a lot of people on the forum are.

I am waiting for my first shipment, I bootstrapped to get the first $1250. Here is my question:
"Do people tend to HATE pre-ordering?"

I am guessing so for a few reasons, and I hope what I am thinking is true. I got a few people to pre-order, but all were people I know. I am guessing since mostly everyone wants what they want NOW, a pre-order where they'd have to wait a month is just too long and they will not do it. (Except for the video game industry). I have had a lot of visitors to my site, but no orders other than the people I spoke to, is this because the pre-order status that is clearly posted on the product pages?

Cheers,

Tyrel

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Preorders work for Microsoft, Apple, Sony, and Nintendo. Now maybe add Samsung to that list.

And... books by highly regarded authors.

We have NEVER had a successful preorder campaign on non-branded or lesser branded merchandise.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Pre-orders work.

Most people dislike pre-ordering and would probably prefer to just wait until it's in stock.

But I've gotten pre-orders just by having my website up.

I also know people don't like to wait so because my margins are so high, I email the customers that pre-ordered and give them an extra product free of charge. This gives them more of a reason to not cancel their pre-order

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Preorders work for Microsoft, Apple, Sony, and Nintendo. Now maybe add Samsung to that list.

And... books by highly regarded authors.

We have NEVER had a successful preorder campaign on non-branded or lesser branded merchandise.

Thanks for that :) I agree.

I hope its the reason for the low conversion rate.

I have a pretty popular blog interested in featuring my product, so I really want to pick the absolute best time, and I think that'll definitely be once I have product in stock.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Pre-orders work.

Most people dislike pre-ordering and would probably prefer to just wait until it's in stock.

But I've gotten pre-orders just by having my website up.

I also know people don't like to wait so because my margins are so high, I email the customers that pre-ordered and give them an extra product free of charge. This gives them more of a reason to not cancel their pre-order

Yea, thats what I am thinking. I know I hate pre-ordering anything lol.

I did cut my prices down a bit and even then, I still am at least doubling the cost in profit.

Oh well, only about 20 days until I have inventory :)

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I only made my order to be a team player.

Otherwise, if I had really needed my order, I would have just gone to Amazon and had it in a few days.

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
In my industry it works, though it is B2B. Launched pre-orders for my first product one month prior to release. I just launched pre-orders for my second product with a two month gap. I did allow online pre-orders (very limited amount) and I offered an incentive to those who placed orders.

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
Hi Tyrel

I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread?

I'm aware that my experiences will not even compare to that of those who post here however, I have tried this in the past. I found the only people ordering, did so to humor me - understandably.

I do wander if there's a way keep track of leads/ potential costumers (ie. those who would buy your product if it were not for the waiting period) so that when your product is available, you could offer them better value than your competitors? A second shot at sale?? Any ideas Darius?? Something like your emailing perhaps?

Jon.a: how would you feel if after you looked elsewhere and then you were offered a better alternative from the place that first interested you? Would it make you more inclined to wait if you ever have another need for the product?

I hope I make sense and apologies if these are somewhat stupid questions. I was just wandering if Genium/Tyrel has a way to win back costumers lost - if pre-ordering was the reason for the low conversion rate.

I'll go away now, hehe.

-AYoungLady xx

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
I was just wandering if Genium/Tyrel has a way to win back costumers lost - if pre-ordering was the reason for the low conversion rate.

This is exactly what I am worried about. I (on accident) got my products featured on a blog, and it was giving me roughly 50 viewers a day for a little while, I wish they couldve communicated and held off the blog post until my product launch so that I could have product available, but its ok, I have more bloggers wanting to post, as well as a magazine.

Its pretty much too late now to corral people but I think I could at least have a mailing list potential customers can join, just gotta figure out how to set it up through BigCommerce.

Good info for my upcoming products that I want to add to my brand though, that might have a pre-order period as well. One of the developments for a product I am interested in doing is a golden idea for KickStarter though :)

Thank you for your input AYoungLady :)

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I got a good deal that filled a need that wasn't time critical and helped a community member. It was an easy decision. If I had really needed the product, I would have just used Amazon like I normally do.

Jon.a: how would you feel if after you looked elsewhere and then you were offered a better alternative from the place that first interested you? Would it make you more inclined to wait if you ever have another need for the product?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
$195,000 and counting.
$211,624 while I was sleeping

Don't create those self-limiating beliefs in your mind. You can get it done. How many people visited your page? The progress bar on the right hand side of the page (in the link in my above comment) adds social proof to the pre-order status. Kind of says "3,000 people pre-ordered this...jump on the bandwagon or get left by yourself in the dust".

Edit after getting a few PM's - The example I sent is not mine lol

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I don't know if pre-orders work or not since I haven't had any chance to try it but my idea is that on the product page where you say "Pre-Order", when the visitor wants to leave the page without ordering, you show a subscription form to "Get on the waiting list".
That way you can collect some emails of people who are interested on the product but are not ready to pre-order at this moment but might be on a later time when the product launches.
On the launch day you send a broadcast email campaign to them and might get some more orders. I think it's a win-win.

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
Hey Genium

Sorry for the late reply. You're welcome :). I've enjoyed reading your progress.

Best of luck!

-AYoungLady x

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Not if you offer something they want. Tile

$195,000 and counting.

Brilliant marketing, as they are NOT the manufacturer. The manufacturer just emailed me. The product already exists.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Brilliant marketing, as they are NOT the manufacturer. The manufacturer just emailed me. The product already exists.

Something to add to your product line? Kinda fits! :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I can make it fit at Best Buy. (And Wal-Mart, and...)

:)

Cool technology.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!