The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

DO NOT do what you love...

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thought this was a great article, echoing my sentiments about the infamous platitude of "do what you love".

https://medium.com/@rachelnabors/dont-do-what-you-love-41312c943e2

Bad advice is dangerous.
Back when I made comics, I lived in a forest. I was poor. I had few options in life. I avoided the topic of college because I didn’t know what I wanted to “do with the rest of my life,” and I didn’t have the money to pay for it. It was much easier to tell myself I wanted to “do what I love, make comics for a living.”

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
Dont do what you love, love what you do.

But dont make the mistake of doing something you hate, because it is something you need.

There is a lot of options nowadays.

the problem is people like to say "do what you love" and then they assume that doing what you love dont require hard work, deal with frustration.

One thing is going through the process of learning/doing something that will lead to frustration in the initial stages.

Other thing is, if you pass through this stage and you dont find anything that makes you tick and stick with the craft you choose, you will not give the extra effort required.

Try things, and see which one fits in your objectives.

It is a tough subject.

What works for one person, doesn't work for the other.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Or find a fastlane business with intertwines your passion. if you love children, solve a problem in the childcare industry

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
While I agree with the opening paragraph about not being able to do what you love, the thesis of the article was "Don't do what you hate for a living." Which was his amended advice. I agree with this.

Very few people can do what they love for a living (and there are people that do it), its more important to not hate what you have to do for a living. I think there's a subtle difference there, and an important one to take note on.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.