The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

did i just make a sidewalking decision?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Im working on a app game project, i own it it, its mine 100%. It has a lot of addictive potential but there no guarantee itll make money, but theres always the chance itll go viral as always.

I'm still happy to be working on it because as i said its MY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, that feels very powerful to me. Its not even about the money, even if i die penniless at least i truly tried creating some kind of value... you get what im sayin i hope.

My trusted friend/coworker/graphic designer with some ties to music industry just dropped a bomb on me an hour ago, he hooked us to create a game app for a major independent music label, some kind of joint venture. He's adamant that this is the ticket out of our day jobs, that this is a whale cash cow.

Maybe he's right, very well could be right, and yet i can't F*ckin make myself want to do this.

U see my mind completely wrapped around my app game project, this combined with my day job and i literally have no time left for anything else and im OK with that, this is how things are, you bust your a$$ until u make it.

I KNOW its not about PASSION, and even the game project that i am working on myself is not my personal ideal game to play but i THINK it will provide entertainment value to the casual gamer market.

I'm willing to sacrifice this big joint venture opportunity and the ticket out of our day jobs, because id rather continue working on my 100% MINE project.

Am i F*cking insane? am i crazy? WTF is wrong with me? is my gut instinct out of whack? why do i feel this way and is this sidewalk fear?

I AM taking action regarding my project, daily action, either research or actual hands on development of the product, one day at a time, and i am excited about it. Something about the fact that its my baby makes me happy to work on it, while picking up someone elses game idea, the premise of which doesn't really excite me(no passion(sidewalking)?)

Im passionate about my product because its mine 100%, that means something to me in this short life, and don't want to sacrifice it to work on this new opportunity instead.

Or am i just being a pussy at the sight of tremendous opportunity?

My feeling can sorta be described by the first song here:

Highwayman

I know i just threw a brain dump on here, this is as raw as it gets, just all emotion i guess... with some personal logic thrown in.

shit im having an urge to just tell my coworker "forget the ticket outa here, this is how you do it, i quit, ill find some other job, not tied to a desk all day... piece out!" but i know logically that would be idiotic in hindsight... or is it lol?

For better context, my friend does have his own personal major project he is working on as well that hasn't taken off yet. We're also both sleep deprived, him significantly much more than me though, due to family responsibilities. I can understand his desire to find a ticket out of our day job, i guess for my situation im more willing to give up these kinds of opportunities and focus on my projects instead, even if it takes longer to succeed this way.

edit:
im also afraid to play with someones elses money... and be responsible for it... so far ive paid for all my expenses out of pocket. my day job finances my app making, and it like it that way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
After hearing my friend's pitch i have come to the conclusion that the entertainment industry is very strange.

Very successful individuals in one industry can apparently go ape shit over a simple game.

The meeting my friend had with these people was involving his own personal project but then towards the end he just happened to mention that he did some graphic work for a game app, zombie crisp to be specific.
They immediately got extremely hyper about it, because they been wanting to enter the app space for awhile...
My friend basically showed the individuals the zombie crisp game and they went crazy over it... one of the dudes son started playing it and liked it...
wow... i guess when u know nothing about video games and all you hear is how apps are all the rage and make tons of money then u just put on rose colored goggles and throw money at the first person who can make any sort of game for you.

I will do the opportunity, the initial product won't be as much work as i thought... wow...

i dont even... i mean... wow...
i almost feel like im cheating....

Last edited:

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
i guess when u know nothing about video games and all you hear is how apps are all the rage and make tons of money then u just put on rose colored goggles and throw money at the first person who can make any sort of game for you.
You got it exactly right. It turns out, if you put in some work to learn a skill that is not completely obvious, there is a shitload of people willing to pay you lots for it - much more than you think it's worth.
Go for it, man. It's experience, and money, and it might very well be the start of a freelancing career doing exactly what you would be doing anyway.
Get paid to learn, and then apply that knowledge to your own stuff.
Luck is being ready to seize the opportunity when it strikes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.