The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating an "Activity Band" from nothing

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Deionatrix

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Nov 4, 2013
After reading through and learning from the amazing progress threads found on the forum, i thought it would be a good time to start one of my own.

through the duration of this thread I'll be attempting to move from 'idea' to 'finished product' in the creation of an "Activity Tracker Wristband". (which will track a specific activity.)

I think that my idea for this wristband has some great potential to succeed. It won't be in the 'fitness' niche, like other activity trackers, but will be used to track an activity that has been quickly growing in interest over recent years, and based on what I've seen, I'll be the first one to enter this market with such a device.

The reason why I'm so vague in calling it an "Activity Tracker" instead of what it actually tracks, is because if if I were to say what it does track, it would give away the product idea, and I don't want to do that at such an early stage in the process. (Although I can show the designs when they are ready.) I think that calling it an activity tracker will suffice for now, until i get enough of a headstart that I know I'll be the first into the market.

Hopefully you will all find this interesting, and I'll do what I can to to keep you updated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Deionatrix

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Nov 4, 2013
So, to start with: I've got in touch with a manufacturer in China that manufactures fitness trackers (seeing as my product is so similar) to gauge how much they would cost to make, and how long they would take to develop.

Here is what they said in the email:

"Hi Deion,

Thank you for your reply,as per you need,just want to give your some reference,not final as there is no details requirement,

1 Tooling Cost ~~ 18K-20K USD
2 Electronic development Cost 20K-25K USD
3 App development Cost for iOS and Android 10K-30K USD
4 Development Time:2-3Months

Above is for you reference,if you wanto evaluate,it's better to talk base on sample or specification,Thanks a lot

Best Regards"

I asked them to use one of their own models for the estimate. Will be sending detailed specs to manufacturers when I decide on the exact product and software requirements.

Will soon be drafting the design on paper in order to get it ready for a technical cad drawing

Last edited:

Deionatrix

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Nov 4, 2013
Are you seriously considering paying between 48k-75k to develop this?
Because my device tracks a time based activity rather than fitness, i may be able to get it developed for less than the suggested $75k.

In also aiming to go the kickstarter route - this way i can see if this is a product that customers actually want before i commit so much, rather than me just going ahead because i think it's a cool idea.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Deionatrix

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Nov 4, 2013
Just got the first design back from the industrial designer:
uploadfromtaptalk1438619020155.png

Not sure if i like this current design as it is completely different from the draft i made since the strap looks too small and I want the time to go horizontally across the band, along with a progress bar just beneath it so that the user knows how long they have until the session is up.

Will note edit my draft and have the designer make the proper drawing and render from there.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
That is a great idea, the USB at the end of the band. I'd patent that and sell it to smart watch manufacturers.
Great concept indeed. But, wouldn't that mean the chipset would have to be flexible?

Deionatrix

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Nov 4, 2013
Great concept indeed. But, wouldn't that mean the chipset would have to be flexible?
Do you guys like the current design + how the band gets thinner near the end?

In response to your question, i will probably attach a small steel casing over the usb. You would then slide off the casing whenever you need to charge the band.

Another idea I want to go in the direction in is to allow you to be able to charge the device in the wall without any wires, by having just a plug with a usb insert. Of course you will also be able to plug it into your laptop/pc.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
45-75k is seriously overkill for a project like this!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I think the band is very feminine, I wouldn't wear it myself.

It's also hard without knowing the function.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.