The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a Reddit/Digg Clone Site

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Can the code of Reddit or Digg be looked at? I ask because I want to create a website that allows people to vote information up onto the front page, but I have no clue as how to figure something like that out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Code:
view-source:digg.com

view-source:reddit.com

nicksvan88

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 6, 2012
Rajkot, Gujarat, INDIA

coffeerefill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jul 8, 2011
I've used Hotaru CMS to build a site that operates like Reddit. It is powered by a lot of different plug-ins and is easier to customize if you know PHP or can at least tweak it.

Pligg and Drigg (Digg-like plugin for Drupal) are available as well.

I haven't found a Wordpress plugin that does anything close (BIG OPPORTUNITY, HINT HINT), but if you find something please alert me.

If none of those work, Reddit will give you their code, but I think you have to apply with them to get it.

bkypes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 25, 2011
Grand Rapids, Mi
Has anyone used anything like this for a Wordpress site? I was looking into it for my site before but there was nothing where anyone but an admin could post content.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Has anyone used anything like this for a Wordpress site? I was looking into it for my site before but there was nothing where anyone but an admin could post content.

I've never done anything like this before, but couldn't you just set the default role (in General Settings) of new members/subscribers to author or contributor?

What about purchasing a theme that allows Digg-like submissions from readers? There is one called "Nominate" by Ben Gillbanks. It's 80 bucks - probably cheaper than getting something coded specifically for your site. There are probably others...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Reddit is all open source... lol

everything except their spam detection algorithm of course.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.