The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cost of Outsourcing

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

cappuccino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 22, 2015
I want to make a custom dating website that would calculate different dimensions of compatibility, similar to okcupid or eHarmony. I'm not even going to attempt learning to code something that complex..

I know I'm going to need funding and/or a business partner committed to the idea, but as of now I have neither. So just wondering, if I were to outsource it somehow what would a realistic ballpark be for the cost of something like that? I know it seems unrealistic but I keep coming back to this idea and I'd appreciate any thoughts and feedback.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Basilius

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 26, 2015
Czech Republic
Can't you post a request on eLance or oDesk and see offers right from developers? Seems to me like the easiest and most accurate way of finding out.

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
c3305497a908aed0e1792f5d6be8bb85b8878081952e9874ad45fe22692451d0.jpg

cappuccino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 22, 2015
Can't you post a request on eLance or oDesk and see offers right from developers? Seems to me like the easiest and most accurate way of finding out.

I could post it there but I'm sure I'll just get responses quoting developer's hourly rates, and I have no idea how many hours this would take...

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I didn't want to start with a generic template, but I also didn't realize it's easy to add additional software if you can pay for it. I'm still skeptical but chameleon looks kind of promising actually.

a) these are not templates
b) having 80% of your project completed, tested and ready to go for less than $500.00, really you have to even think about that?

This makes creating a MVP so simple. The biggest struggle with dating sites is getting enough profiles and traffic online to make it work, if nobody is a member, nobody else wants to join. Before you spend thousands on your secret sauce, make sure you get figured out how you are going to attract thousands of people from either one place, or hundreds of places so there is a chance of a local match. Both okcupid and eHarmony spend huge $$ in user acquisition.

cappuccino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 22, 2015
a) these are not templates
b) having 80% of your project completed, tested and ready to go for less than $500.00, really you have to even think about that?

This makes creating a MVP so simple. The biggest struggle with dating sites is getting enough profiles and traffic online to make it work, if nobody is a member, nobody else wants to join. Before you spend thousands on your secret sauce, make sure you get figured out how you are going to attract thousands of people from either one place, or hundreds of places so there is a chance of a local match. Both okcupid and eHarmony spend huge $$ in user acquisition.

Yeah I was pretty clueless on where to start and I'd read bad reviews about SkaDate but its been a while since I've really looked into this and I hadn't heard of chameleon.. Definitely makes the whole thing seem more attainable.

I'm not concerned about attracting users, there's a built in market for this niche and I'm actually really surprised no one else has done it yet on a bigger scale.. The main obstacle now is the extra money it'll take to make something legit.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
The main obstacle now is the extra money it'll take to make something legit.
Why? If it's such a safe bet as you say, every dollar will come back bringing friends.

cappuccino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 22, 2015
Why? If it's such a safe bet as you say, every dollar will come back bringing friends.

Honestly I don't have the $500 to buy the software right now let alone however much else it will cost to build the site. Pathetic I know but I'm actually re-inspired to make this idea happen.. I'll either find an investor or figure out another way.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I'm not concerned about attracting users, there's a built in market for this niche and I'm actually really surprised no one else has done it yet on a bigger scale.. The main obstacle now is the extra money it'll take to make something legit.

alarm-hareketli.gif

RedFlag_1.png

cappuccino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 22, 2015
Mmm yeah, haters only give me that much more motivation..

So keep it coming!

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I'm not concerned about attracting users, there's a built in market for this niche and I'm actually really surprised no one else has done it yet on a bigger scale.

@csalvato is NOT being a hater, attracting traffic to any site is REALLY hard and with a dating site, you can't ramp up the traffic. If I show up on your site from Indianapolis, and you have 300 other people in the system but none from Indy, I leave. You have to have instant critical mass.

Honestly I don't have the $500 to buy the software right now
I have started working on a JV project with a team that crated a dating site, they launched in the major city of one state with a focus that is perfect for the community. They have spent over $800,000.00 so far attracting users IN ONE CITY, they estimated about $100,000 on software creation.

Since you don't have the money right now and plenty of time to research, why don't you find us a story about a dating website that is really successful that is totally bootstrapped or got going with less than a one million dollar investment.

cappuccino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 22, 2015
@csalvato is NOT being a hater, attracting traffic to any site is REALLY hard and with a dating site, you can't ramp up the traffic. If I show up on your site from Indianapolis, and you have 300 other people in the system but none from Indy, I leave. You have to have instant critical mass.

I have started working on a JV project with a team that crated a dating site, they launched in the major city of one state with a focus that is perfect for the community. They have spent over $800,000.00 so far attracting users IN ONE CITY, they estimated about $100,000 on software creation.

Since you don't have the money right now and plenty of time to research, why don't you find us a story about a dating website that is really successful that is totally bootstrapped or got going with less than a one million dollar investment.

Really? Sounds like you're either full of shit or your JV project was a huge waste of time.

And no thanks, wouldn't it just bust your balls if I actually come back here later with the successful dating site you were never able to create?

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Honestly I don't have the $500 to buy the software right now let alone however much else it will cost to build the site. Pathetic I know but I'm actually re-inspired to make this idea happen.. I'll either find an investor or figure out another way.
It's not pathetic, but you gotta realize you need money to make money.
One thing that paralyzed me from taking action was not having money and waiting for it. Doesn't work. Go out and make the money, work on your projects on the side.
I actually built a great freelance career out of this. I enjoy it, learn a lot from it, and can work on my products without worrying about bills.

Mmm yeah, haters only give me that much more motivation..

So keep it coming!
That's not hating, it is a huge red flag. If it's such a perfect market why there's no competition? It's a question you need to give lots of attention to.

cappuccino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 22, 2015
Very true Digamma, money is everything right now, I'm not expecting miracles to happen I'm just saying I'll figure out a way to fund it however long that might take..

And I didn't say there's NO competition, but really there's only one other site and they did the bare minimum since that's all it took to be successful in this niche... I'll have to aim higher obviously.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Really? Sounds like you're either full of shit or your JV project was a huge waste of time.

And no thanks, wouldn't it just bust your balls if I actually come back here later with the successful dating site you were never able to create?

Wow, someone on this forum who is a legit success just gave you sound, solid advice and a personal story to corroborate that. And you just pooped on his chest.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
a story about a dating website that is really successful that is totally bootstrapped or got going with less than a one million dollar investment
POF?

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20090101/and-the-money-comes-rolling-in.html
smirk.png

Oh, and nearly forgot... Lovoo. App, not dating site, but hugely successful. No outside investment.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/techno...p-on-a-fast-international-rise-lovoo-reaches/
http://news.siliconallee.com/2014/0...success-dresdens-lovoo-to-open-berlin-office/

lol, nice. rep+

@OP: next idea.

Last edited:

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA

I never tried to create a dating site, I have a health site.

Neither, my biggest waste of time lately appears to be this thread. You asked for advice and have pretty much spit on everyone's input. A few of the responders to this list make a full time living on the Interent, you haven't got $500.00 to buy some software and get anything started.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego

26e.gif

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.