The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Contacting and meeting a company in taiwan

Samy Bazizi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Aug 6, 2014
Austria
Hi fastlaners,

I need some advice. I am a product designer and a local company is interested by one of my invention. They've sent me a list of manufacturers located in Taiwan that I should contact to make a prototype or licence the invention. I was planning a trip to China and wanted to meet some of these companies to try and sell the invention
Therefore I have some questions:
- What is the best way to contact them and arrange a meeting with them?
- Is there a different etiquette or way to convince people in Taiwan that is different from North America?
- I don't want to lose time while Im there so how do I know which company is the best potential licencee and how do I find if it is a legit one? I don't

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
Your best bet is finding all the threads by forum member Walter Hay. He worked and traveled extensively in China and I'm sure he had occasion to travel to Taiwan as well.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
i have an old college friend who lives in taiwan who does this kind of stuff for a living. I don't know what he charges, but pm me and i'll give you his skype info

EDIT: turns out he lives in Japan, actually. i'll see if he knows anyone in Taiwan.

Last edited:

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
I need some advice. I am a product designer and a local company is interested by one of my invention. They've sent me a list of manufacturers located in Taiwan that I should contact to make a prototype or licence the invention

Here's how I would approach this:

Try to get some kind of commitment from the local company, i.e.: "If your product will meet our [specifications] and the price delivered to our distribution center in [location] will be no more than [number] of euro, we will [distribute/market] your product. Based on our knowledge of the market, we estimate we can sell at least [amount] in the first 12 months.

@Vigilante - what do you think of the above?

If they agree to that, then find an EU mfg/distributor who will then be encouraged to take on the product, and will license it from you - in which case they'll do the mfg.

If you can't find a company that can do that, THEN you need to figure out how much it will cost for the prototype route. Since you are a designer yourself, I'm sure you can get a design ready to be made in very small quantities, and have the company put them in one store. (You must be there too, with your product, when it is in the store!) and see what the responses from customers are.

Then, both you and the company will have a better idea of your expectations and you can go look for financing to take it to the next level.

In my opinion, the advantage to this approach is that you have market feedback first. I guess it's not hard to find companies to work with you / invest once you have a customer w/some initial sales and a forecast.

Save the cost of a trip to the far east for an uncertain outcome, and invest it instead in getting real hard market feedback.

Samy Bazizi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Aug 6, 2014
Austria
Here's how I would approach this:

Try to get some kind of commitment from the local company, i.e.: "If your product will meet our [specifications] and the price delivered to our distribution center in [location] will be no more than [number] of euro, we will [distribute/market] your product. Based on our knowledge of the market, we estimate we can sell at least [amount] in the first 12 months.

@Vigilante - what do you think of the above?

If they agree to that, then find an EU mfg/distributor who will then be encouraged to take on the product, and will license it from you - in which case they'll do the mfg.

If you can't find a company that can do that, THEN you need to figure out how much it will cost for the prototype route. Since you are a designer yourself, I'm sure you can get a design ready to be made in very small quantities, and have the company put them in one store. (You must be there too, with your product, when it is in the store!) and see what the responses from customers are.

Then, both you and the company will have a better idea of your expectations and you can go look for financing to take it to the next level.

In my opinion, the advantage to this approach is that you have market feedback first. I guess it's not hard to find companies to work with you / invest once you have a customer w/some initial sales and a forecast.

Save the cost of a trip to the far east for an uncertain outcome, and invest it instead in getting real hard market feedback.

Hey, thanks a lot for these advices. What exactly is a mfg? And I was already planning this trip for other business affairs, so it's just something I wanna do while I am in the country. You say I should find an EU mfg/distributor to license the product, but how exactly do I contact them for that? Do I call them and arrange a meeting in China?

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
What exactly is a mfg? And I was already planning this trip for other business affairs, so it's just something I wanna do while I am in the country. You say I should find an EU mfg/distributor to license the product, but how exactly do I contact them for that? Do I call them and arrange a meeting in China?
mfg = manufacturer

You live in Austria? go to a store that sells things in the field you are inventing and see who the manufacturers/distributors are and then call them up.

i suggest you review the stephen key thread in the forum, and read his book too.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Yeah, get prototypes/samples made to test the Market first as @TedM said, I am living in Taipei now, feel free to PM me in case I can help somehow.
Best you do some groundwork first before making a trip obviously.

Samy Bazizi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Aug 6, 2014
Austria
mfg = manufacturer

You live in Austria? go to a store that sells things in the field you are inventing and see who the manufacturers/distributors are and then call them up.

i suggest you review the stephen key thread in the forum, and read his book too.
Nope I live in Montreal lol... I've already read his book, and I already have the list of the manufacturers of a local company that sells bicycle (the field of my invention). I just though that maybe it is different in Taiwan, you can't just call them and set an appointment... I will still try and see what happens. Ill keep you updated

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Nope I live in Montreal lol... I've already read his book, and I already have the list of the manufacturers of a local company that sells bicycle (the field of my invention). I just though that maybe it is different in Taiwan, you can't just call them and set an appointment... I will still try and see what happens. Ill keep you updated

good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.