The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Contacted By Venture Capital...

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Our start up has been contacted by a venture capital investment fund that invests in early stage starts up and it invests up to $1M. (Larger investments for later rounds but we are early stage at the moment)

We have gained traction, have a proven business model, and a solid strategy in place to move forward. All we need is the investment capital.

They contacted us telling us they were interested in our business model and asked us for a meeting.

How should I prepare for this and what should I expect? What are the other benefits besides money when it comes to investment funds/Venture capital ?

Thank you !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

themaxx

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2014
London, UK
Do you need the money? Beyond money, hopefully VCs will provide advice, connections/introductions and promotion for your business.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
http://www.amazon.com/Venture-Deals-Smarter-Lawyer-Capitalist/dp/1118443616/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430479894&sr=8-1&keywords=venture deals is a good read to understand more about the process.

Keep in mind that once you raise VC you will probably need to raise more in 12-18 months as they will probably expect fast growth. It will also take a lot of energy to go through the process and you will give up a good chunk of control over your company.

So the no 1 thing to do is to do some serious soul searching if you really need and want to raise money at this point or if you can grow organically. Depends heavily on your business model of course.

That said, definitely take the meeting, even if you dont want to raise money at this point. This article explains why: http://www.bothsidesofthetable.com/2010/11/15/invest-in-lines-not-dots/

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Whenever I met with VC's they always asked for a business plan. This wasn't good news because I didn't have one, LOL.

You might want to put together a business summary of the business's highlights, sales, profits, margins, growth prospects in various channels, product development, etc. Also have a valuation in mind because should an investment be offered, they will base it on some arbitrary number.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Keep in mind that once you raise VC you will probably need to raise more in 12-18 months as they will probably expect fast growth. It will also take a lot of energy to go through the process and you will give up a good chunk of control over your company.

Wanted to 2nd this. I'm currently trying to raise money, and the VCs I've talked to said that my business is attractive, except that I won't be able to double their investment in 12-18 months (right now I can double in 3ish years).

That said, if VCs are approaching you, you are probably in a position to shop around. I'd at least talk to them (and go through the paperwork/application motions) and use the experience you've gained to approach others.

Also, consider the fundraising ecosystem and the goals for each tier in order to temper expectations. Perhaps VCs aren't right for you because of their ROI timelines, but angel groups are as they tend to be a little more long-term focused than VCs.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
What are the other benefits besides money when it comes to investment funds/Venture capital ?
Also, there a HUGE ecosystem of media that almost exclusively covers startups, especially tech startups (which I assume you are since VCs are approaching you). A great side product of getting an investment is the press, which usually starts a PR feeding frenzy both locally and nationally. This may lead to better SEO, futher PR opportunities, more customers, etc.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Have you gone to www.angel.co and seen other companies that raised big rounds of funding?

If not, I would consider going there, finding similar companies (preferably in your industry) and ask the CEO for advice on raising money in that vertical.

Would probably be WAY more valuable than ANY info you get on here...

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Thanks so much guys.

1) We do need the money to scale nationally with a seed investment and then go international with a Series A.

We have a plan on how to use the seed investment for the next 12 month period of our national expansion. (Australia has a 23M+ population with 4-5 major cities.)

2) TRACTION - Regarding recording numbers, sales, profits, margins, etc: We have all that but not a lot as it's a month old company. We've been featured in a few press articles. Do seed investors shy away from low traction? We have shown traction.. a demand.. a way to service that demand..etc. Just not a lot. Will they tell me to go get more traction even for a seed investment?

3) Our business model has already been proven overseas successfully and it is an interesting product to say the least.

4) We have finished a pitch deck which we are going to send out to seed investment funds for the first time.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Its easier to sell the dream of fast growth with no traction yet, than to sell low traction. Just look at all the ridiculous fundings. So if you want to raise VC at a good valuation, once you get your feet on the ground, you better start running FAST and dont stop. At least for typical VC equity investments.

But again, depends on your business model... If you go to investors with product/market fit in hand and some traction to prove it, then I guess thats a good start :).

elbambino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 26, 2015
San Diego, California
Our start up has been contacted by a venture capital investment fund that invests in early stage starts up and it invests up to $1M. (Larger investments for later rounds but we are early stage at the moment)

We have gained traction, have a proven business model, and a solid strategy in place to move forward. All we need is the investment capital.

They contacted us telling us they were interested in our business model and asked us for a meeting.

How should I prepare for this and what should I expect? What are the other benefits besides money when it comes to investment funds/Venture capital ?

Thank you !

First and foremost, congrats dude! an audience with a V/C does not come easily. If I was in your shoes, I would bring what I think is important and then some. A Business plan, a presentation (preferably a powerpoint) regarding your product/services, a fun and interactive demonstration would be some on the list. This first meeting is all about what you got. They want to see the person they're potentially going to invest 1 million dollars into. Walk in there organized and with FULL confidence in yourself. Prepare yourself as if this was really it. Once the meeting is done, they will tell what they need.

Remember brother, KEEP IT SIMPLE and straight forward. GOOD LUCK!

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Its easier to sell the dream of fast growth with no traction yet, than to sell low traction. Just look at all the ridiculous fundings. So if you want to raise VC at a good valuation, once you get your feet on the ground, you better start running FAST and dont stop. At least for typical VC equity investments.

But again, depends on your business model... If you go to investors with product/market fit in hand and some traction to prove it, then I guess thats a good start :).

Good point.

The only reason we have low traction in the first place is because we were only operating for a short period of time + minimal marketing. We wanted to get our "feet wet" in order to learn how to improve the consumer experience rather then experiencing rapid growth all at once. Maybe one can call it a "beta launch" ? I guess thats what we went through, however we never said we were beta.. we simply just launched.

I guess I can pitch the truth which is that we went through a psuedo-beta launch and now we know the systems/processes to make the consumer experience second to none. We have a plan and we need the money to implement it.

First and foremost, congrats dude! an audience with a V/C does not come easily. If I was in your shoes, I would bring what I think is important and then some. A Business plan, a presentation (preferably a powerpoint) regarding your product/services, a fun and interactive demonstration would be some on the list. This first meeting is all about what you got. They want to see the person they're potentially going to invest 1 million dollars into. Walk in there organized and with FULL confidence in yourself. Prepare yourself as if this was really it. Once the meeting is done, they will tell what they need.

Remember brother, KEEP IT SIMPLE and straight forward. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks man!

Well we are bringing our "Seed Deck" which will act as a PowerPoint presentation with visuals and content that we would show to potential investors.

I will combine a solid pitch with the seed deck at the meeting. A fun and interactive demonstration sounds good too.

To be honest, I do get intimidated sometimes when we meet investors/partnership meetings who are much older, experienced, and established then me (I am only 20 years old.) I'm improving on getting the confidence up with no fear each time.

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
Good point.

The only reason we have low traction in the first place is because we were only operating for a short period of time + minimal marketing. We wanted to get our "feet wet" in order to learn how to improve the consumer experience rather then experiencing rapid growth all at once. Maybe one can call it a "beta launch" ? I guess thats what we went through, however we never said we were beta.. we simply just launched.

I guess I can pitch the truth which is that we went through a psuedo-beta launch and now we know the systems/processes to make the consumer experience second to none. We have a plan and we need the money to implement it.

Thanks man!

Well we are bringing our "Seed Deck" which will act as a PowerPoint presentation with visuals and content that we would show to potential investors.

I will combine a solid pitch with the seed deck at the meeting. A fun and interactive demonstration sounds good too.

To be honest, I do get intimidated sometimes when we meet investors/partnership meetings who are much older, experienced, and established then me (I am only 20 years old.) I'm improving on getting the confidence up with no fear each time.

I see you were raising VC funding earlier this year? How did it go? Care to share the details...? If you're still looking to tackle this, check out this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.