The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

China and Patents

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
My product is made for the same purpose as a chinese product I am seeing online. The thing is though, I am currently working on much better materials and design, but the overall concept of the product is the same as theirs. Searching patents online is no gurantee I will find the patent. I have been searching and can easily miss their patent based on searching. Any other way to guarantee I can make this product without any legal consequences?

When you guys have a product idea, how do you search your patents. The patent search is god awful in my opinion

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ultra Magnus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Oct 9, 2015
The way to do this is to go see a patent lawyer who has access to patent databases and will check similar ideas for you, analyze them to see if they match, and give you a nice folder with his findings and a conclusion. You will pay in excess of 100$ per hour of their work, so make sure you give them specific instructions. Also, it is likely that the they will preface their opinion by saying that it's not legally guarnateed to be true, so that you won't be able to sue them if things go wrong.

Do note that patents are only valid in the countries that they're issued in, and you have to pay seperately for each. There are exceptions of course, such as the European Union, where you can get a patent that's valid in all the member states. So it might be that a product patented in China isn't patented in the US, etc.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
The way to do this is to go see a patent lawyer who has access to patent databases and will check similar ideas for you, analyze them to see if they match, and give you a nice folder with his findings and a conclusion. You will pay in excess of 100$ per hour of their work, so make sure you give them specific instructions. Also, it is likely that the they will preface their opinion by saying that it's not legally guarnateed to be true, so that you won't be able to sue them if things go wrong.

Do note that patents are only valid in the countries that they're issued in, and you have to pay seperately for each. There are exceptions of course, such as the European Union, where you can get a patent that's valid in all the member states. So it might be that a product patented in China isn't patented in the US, etc.

Oh ok, really don't think my idea is worth patenting. I have manufacturer in China that will make it. Should I just make/sell and forget about the patent entirely. It is just my supplemental product anyways. Even if it does get patented by someone else, if I sell it before the patent am I immune to the patent?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Oh ok, really don't think my idea is worth patenting. I have manufacturer in China that will make it. Should I just make/sell and forget about the patent entirely. It is just my supplemental product anyways. Even if it does get patented by someone else, if I sell it before the patent am I immune to the patent?

No

Ultra Magnus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Oct 9, 2015
@ABetterLifeNow, look up the terms "due dilligence" and "prior art" in the context of a visit to a patent lawyer. Really, the thing you need to ask yourself is whether it's worth it to pursue a business venture that can be shut down by a competitor because you're tailcoating on their patented idea. In my opinion it's not, and that's why it's advisable to do due dilligence before investing much.

On the other hand, the specifics of patent law are different in different countries, but another company would have a hard time patenting your product if you've been selling it for some time (they wouldn't be able to, that's prior art).

LynnD5000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 22, 2015
Idaho
My product is made for the same purpose as a chinese product I am seeing online. The thing is though, I am currently working on much better materials and design, but the overall concept of the product is the same as theirs. Searching patents online is no gurantee I will find the patent. I have been searching and can easily miss their patent based on searching. Any other way to guarantee I can make this product without any legal consequences?

When you guys have a product idea, how do you search your patents. The patent search is god awful in my opinion

If the product is being made in China you can bet there is money in it.

That being said - I would seriously consider investing your money and talking to a good patent attorney - they can tell you what you need to know.

If they make a mistake - they know how to cover your caboose - If you make a mistake on "do it yourself" searches and guesswork - who covers the caboose then?

IMHO - The question really isn't about the Chinese patent - per se - but about the "risk" exposure to you - from what you are saying it's a design change and that would be a design patent if you get one.

In the process of getting the design patent you will reference the Chinese patent (if the attorney finds it) as part of the process for applying for the patent.

There is always a chance that you can get the patent because your changes make it a "different" product - even though the use it the same.

The attorney will charge you for their time and the patent search - but the "knowing" where you really stand is priceless when it comes time make the decisions, business plan and meeting with investors - not to mention sleeping at night after the decision is make.

L

Last edited:

spence_douglas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 13, 2015
You might want to try patent monk for a search
https://www.patentmonk.com/

Also, you can register for a provisional patent online for $130. This will give you perceived ownership. It's valid for 1 year. Then you will have to apply for a full patent if you really want to protect your idea. With a provisional patent you can say "patent pending". All of this advice is from Stephen Key's book "One simple idea". But the purpose is a little different than yours.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

spence_douglas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 13, 2015
They also say first to market is just as important as patenting because their is so many knock offs and people can't be bothered to fight unless it is a killer idea. Usually easier just to create a new idea /Product.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.