The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cars in Spain/Egypt

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Does anyone know why the second hand cars are so expensive over there?
And is it possible to import from UK?
Just some of the cars I have seen going for €4000 which would be lucky if it was £1500 here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah i already checked that mate thanks
But what im looking for is if anyone has lived in Spain/Egypt and had to do this and how much they paid on Fee's & Taxes or have some knowledge..
I know exporting to ireland had crazy taxes with some cars (so i guessed this would be the case) as I used to have my own garage here in the UK but just wondering why no one has properly ever tried to tap into that market. Would be really lucrative if possibly had more knowledge.

Btw before grumpycat haha who was that Richkid?

D

DeletedUser394

Yeah, that was me in a previous life.

I don't see how one can circumvent the law. Any car entering would have to pay the onerous taxes. Probably no one is taking advantage of it because there is no opportunity to be had.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah probably more the governing body not wanting the cars traded tbf.

Seat (Spanish car manufacturer bought over by VW) is the best seller followed by the Renault Megane so makes sense to purchase new.
Just thought of the possibility, due to a new car not actually being that pricey. But in otherhand second hand is fortunes. (after further research I have found out that alot of cars are actually clocked if the mileage's arnt marked on the ITV test).

Hope your doing well Rich Grump :p

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
You can import from UK with no problem. They import a lot of cars from UK to Poland, even though we drive with the steering wheel on the left side.. If you want to find some cheap cars- search in Belgium, Italy, France. Cheers.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
My first thought is you're going to have to move the steering wheel to the other side of the car.
Doesn't necessarily cause a problem. There are a good few cars in the UK with LHD so it would be the same over in Spain, in the minority but would exist without a problem. Especially for expats who would be more suited to driving RHD.
You can import from UK with no problem. They import a lot of cars from UK to Poland, even though we drive with the steering wheel on the left side.. If you want to find some cheap cars- search in Belgium, Italy, France. Cheers.
Yeah I funnily enough used to sell Volkswagen Passats to Polish guys who would be taking them back over to Poland. I was thinking that it would make sense if you could find a market with a decent markup closer to Spain but to be fair its only an extra 9/10 hours.

Was just a thought though thanks :)

Circles

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jul 1, 2014
Santa Clara
I'm not sure about UK, but I've been following a case in the US where companies would buy luxury cars and export them to China. Ideally you buy a car for 100k, and after import tax it might be 150k. The buyer in China would then buy it for 200k, which is still lower than what the car dealers are selling it for in China, which is about 300k. The numbers are not exact, but you get the point.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/04...ts-seized-in-crackdown-on-exported-cars/?_r=0

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Cars in Spain/Portugal are overpriced due to Import Tax and because most annual fees aren't updated. My Diesel 1.6 2001 car pays 32€ while the new lowest fee (based on pollution) is at around 150€. If I were to import my car right now, I would pay 200+€ annually.

This makes local older cars more valuable than newer cars. Which is why most cars that go for 3-4k€ outside, are being sold for almost 10k€ here.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
A few other points to know about cars in Europe vs the UK:

- When a car reaches the end of its life in Western Europe, you have the choice to export it to Africa or some Eastern Europe countries as well and still get a reasonnable amount of money for them. When a UK car reaches the end of its life, there is no easily reachable places you can export it to as it has a right-hand wheel so you have two choices: either you crap it and make about £100 or you sell it second hand for a bit more. This is one of the explanations of the difference in price between the same car in Europe and in the UK.
- Then about importing UK cars in Europe, yes it can be done some people do but don't forget to look into the insurance before doing so because it can be interesting to import a car vs buying a new one but most of the insurance companies charge more for a car with the wheel on the other side.
- And a last point about security: it is quite easy to drive a left hand wheeled car in the UK because main roads are quite narrow and you will rarely have to overcome someone there and motorway are safe because nobody is coming in the other way but when it comes to drive a right hand wheeled car in Europe where the main roads are wider and where overcoming is quite common it can be dangerous if you don't have someone on the passenger seat to tell you if the road ahead is clear. I talk by experience here for having done it many times.

Just my opinion based on my experience for having lived and driven on both Europe and the UK and both left hand and right hand wheeled cars.

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Did anyone export a car to Africa from EU here? I'm curious what is the cheapest way of getting the car there :) It may be a good side $ making business.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
I know people who are exporting old French trucks to Africa, they put them on a ship when they have enough to be cost effective. They are making good money from it apparently.

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Thanks Roland! I wonder which port they use. I'm from Poland so I have way down there, but if it is so profitable I can also buy some cheap old trucks in here. Right now it may be a little dangerous for white man to go to Africa thanks to ISIS lol...

mowealth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Feb 18, 2014
World Traveler
Did anyone export a car to Africa from EU here? I'm curious what is the cheapest way of getting the car there :) It may be a good side $ making business.

I have, taxes are incredibly high. The majority import Toyotas (because they are cheaper).

So I wasn't even surprised when I read "Just some of the cars I have seen going for €4000 which would be lucky if it was £1500 here." D11FYY, because I go and have lived in Africa quite frequently, and importing cars is expensive. You can make side money and I have seen people do it, but only by a tiny margin (shipping in containers itself is no less than $2000 from the UK and I'm being really nice here), plus not everyone will buy from you because people would prefer to import the cars themselves (they know it's cheaper than buying from a dealer, again some people would).

Another thing I've noticed, you would most likely make "some" profit selling Toyotas, as people who can afford benzes, beamers, and the likes import the cars themselves.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
I am not sure about how to answer your message.
What is your idea behind what you say? I give you where they ship their trucks from and to and then you go and do the same in the same place and compete with a 20 year old business? I am not sure this is the good plan.
And about your remark regarding white people in Africa well... generalisation is quite dangerous.

mowealth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Feb 18, 2014
World Traveler
Thanks Roland! I wonder which port they use. I'm from Poland so I have way down there, but if it is so profitable I can also buy some cheap old trucks in here. Right now it may be a little dangerous for white man to go to Africa thanks to ISIS lol...
Which port they use? Africa is a continent my friend, so it depends where you want to sell your cars (in what country...)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.