The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can't sleep, too many ideas!?!??!

Idea threads

cescsam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 20, 2014
Hi guys,

Been encountering somewhat of an issue when generating ideas. Most of the best ideas I have come up with happened when I am already in bed getting trying to sleep and while I don't mind it, at times it gets really torturous as I would find myself getting up 3-4 times either writing down a new idea or making improvements to previous ideas, and this takes a toll on the body as I will find myself not getting enough sleep due to not wanting to sleep in case I lose the idea.

Now I know that "having notebook by your bedside in case you get a good idea" is a common practice amongst fastlaners, however, if I don't lay down some solid foundation then and there, the idea written down in dot points usually fizzles out when I review it the next day. This causes me to sometimes grind out a blog article or an in depth video plan right then and there.

Was wondering if this was all just mental conditioning which has led my brain to only work this well at night. Have any of you experienced this? If so, is there a way to transfer all this brain activity to perhaps an earlier time in the day? Would be F*ckn amazing if this happened right after my morning runs :D

Kind regards,
cescsam

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
If you have so many great ideas, why is it that you haven't started exploiting one of them yet?

Good ideas are great but unless you do something about them, they will remain good ideas and nothing more.

You seem to have a good creative mind so why don't you start working on one of your ideas and use your creativity to find solutions to take your business to the next level?

And with regards to why you are coming up with new ideas when you are in bed, this has to do with the fact that when you are laying there, you have no other distraction around you so you can focus all your mental resources on this. This is why so many people here are finding meditation, hypnosis, NLP etc... so helpful. It just help them re-create that same state of undistracted focus or increased focus and are then able to use their resources more effectively.

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
I do not have a solution for you, only thing many creative people have taught me: "When the Muse knocks on your door; you run, open the door and listen to her, whatever she has to say".

And @Roland advice is the best one, go do something with it :-D

cescsam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 20, 2014
Hi guys!

Thanks for the helpful and insightful responses. I actually do follow up on my ideas but my issue was just the timing of it is killing me :D. Re-reading my post I do realise it was worded pretty badly, seeing I wrote it at 4.30 am in the morning hahah. Will look into those techniques you mentioned about entering that specific state of mind. Thanks heaps again!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I'm a night owl and know my best ideas usually come at night. Usually because everyone's sleeping in the neighborhood, and it's quiet. I know what you mean. I usually do my best work at night and it flows very easily. Like the last few days I'm back on day time and not as productive. I've been that way since a child. And because society says I should be up during the day I try to do that, but usually end up back as the night owl.

Unless I had a day time job and had to be up at 5 a.m. I would agree it's probably not the healthiest idea, and I think I made a habit of it when I was going through a lot of stress in 2007-2010 until I learned how to meditate and can switch back around. I usually do forget my ideas by the morning if I don't write them down, and usually do like writing when the idea comes or I lose the whole feeling, emotion, and I can't capture it again as writer and poet. I believe a lot of writers are like this though. They like to catch the wave when it comes.

Sometimes I get ideas right before I go to bed, and say forget it, because I'll stay up four hours and right a book. So than, I have to wait until I'm in that flow again. Night time is just my favorite time of day, but society likes day time. lol

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Hi guys,

Been encountering somewhat of an issue when generating ideas. Most of the best ideas I have come up with happened when I am already in bed getting trying to sleep and while I don't mind it, at times it gets really torturous as I would find myself getting up 3-4 times either writing down a new idea or making improvements to previous ideas, and this takes a toll on the body as I will find myself not getting enough sleep due to not wanting to sleep in case I lose the idea.

Now I know that "having notebook by your bedside in case you get a good idea" is a common practice amongst fastlaners, however, if I don't lay down some solid foundation then and there, the idea written down in dot points usually fizzles out when I review it the next day. This causes me to sometimes grind out a blog article or an in depth video plan right then and there.

Was wondering if this was all just mental conditioning which has led my brain to only work this well at night. Have any of you experienced this? If so, is there a way to transfer all this brain activity to perhaps an earlier time in the day? Would be F*ckn amazing if this happened right after my morning runs :D

Kind regards,
cescsam

This has to do with what your brain does when it's sleeping. Namely, it's flushing out neurotoxins and processing any information. The best way to combat this is to get aerobic exercise and have a nightly routine. I personally try to meditate for 10 minutes and then read a fiction book for 20. I find that helps to calm the mind and disengage it.

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm a night owl and know my best ideas usually come at night. Usually because everyone's sleeping in the neighborhood, and it's quiet. I know what you mean. I usually do my best work at night and it flows very easily. Like the last few days I'm back on day time and not as productive. I've been that way since a child. And because society says I should be up during the day I try to do that, but usually end up back as the night owl.

Unless I had a day time job and had to be up at 5 a.m. I would agree it's probably not the healthiest idea, and I think I made a habit of it when I was going through a lot of stress in 2007-2010 until I learned how to meditate and can switch back around. I usually do forget my ideas by the morning if I don't write them down, and usually do like writing when the idea comes or I lose the whole feeling, emotion, and I can't capture it again as writer and poet. I believe a lot of writers are like this though. They like to catch the wave when it comes.

Sometimes I get ideas right before I go to bed, and say forget it, because I'll stay up four hours and right a book. So than, I have to wait until I'm in that flow again. Night time is just my favorite time of day, but society likes day time. lol

I like how you specifically mentioned the meditation part! Yes!
And how were "expected" to be awake during daytime.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I like how you specifically mentioned the meditation part! Yes!
And how were "expected" to be awake during daytime.
http://www.newsweek.com/brains-early-birds-and-night-owls-221768
http://www.inquisitr.com/588722/night-owls-might-be-smarter-richer-more-successful-than-early-birds/
http://www.careerealism.com/night-owls-early-birds/
Always interesting to read about night owls like me. Whether it's accurate or not I don't know. I kind of agree, because like I stated I get more work done at night.

Sehcill

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
There are phone apps called something along the lines of "Sleep talking recorder" something or other. Just turn that on as you're laying down, or hell leave it on all day. Instead of getting out of bed, just talk. Then play it back when it's convenient, and write down the pertinent stuff.

contract

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 29, 2013
That's life.

I can work 20+ hours in a day and STILL be kicking myself for not doing enough. (Even when it's physically/mentally impossible)

Then all these ideas pop into the mind, and there's not enough time left.

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
Hi guys,

Almost every single idea I have ever had or any action I took in anything that gave me success was based on the process that was happening during the night. I can do in 3 hours during the night the same amount of work that takes me 6 during the day. I tried more than once to change this, but it never gave me any positive results, so I accepted it. Back in the day when I used to lift regularly, my training sessions mostly occurred between 10 pm and 3 am. I had such an incredible focus. If you can do everything without much sleep, then don't fight it.

@Mattie As a night owl, I have also read similar articles. I am also curious about knowing how true this is.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland

Sounds pretty much like myself whilst writing this at 5.10am UK time haha!

I write down some of the ideas either on the notepad next to my bed or the notes in my phone (tend to stick to the n.pad as the light off the screen seems to wake me up or makes me automatically want to browse which gets my mind even more racing.)

Just write the basic idea/concept no longer than a few words and pinpoints, if you cant remember the thought proccess or the business at all come morning/afternoon most likely it was shit.

edit. Also another time I come up with ideas or that is when im running seems to clear most of my distractions and I can think things through.

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
http://www.newsweek.com/brains-early-birds-and-night-owls-221768
http://www.inquisitr.com/588722/night-owls-might-be-smarter-richer-more-successful-than-early-birds/
http://www.careerealism.com/night-owls-early-birds/
Always interesting to read about night owls like me. Whether it's accurate or not I don't know. I kind of agree, because like I stated I get more work done at night.

Good articles!

Agreed on the part where both parties have valid points (create in the early mornings before your mind get cluttered) or the late nights (when the mind is at ease), I feel its most important to play around with it and see what works best for yourself.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Last edited by a moderator:

dlpatterson08

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 1, 2015
Tennessee
I know your dilemma for sure. I've spent many countless nights of lost sleep from ideas. It's a great feeling but at the same time it is annoying when you do want to sleep. All I can tell you is keep going at it! Great ideas come when you least expect it. It's awesome that you at least take the time to write them down. Most don't even do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phenom4hire

Onwards and Upwards
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 26, 2011
Jesup, GA
I am the same way at times. Sometimes an idea just hits you an you feel like you need to write it down and maybe flesh it out a little while still fresh on your mind. Like most I have a small notebook I take almost everywhere with me, where I jot ideas, observations, important details or whatever. It usually doesn't bother me too much but there are times where I literally wear myself out creating and then trying to validate an idea. I know a lot of times it seems at the time to be such a good idea and you just can't wait to develop and grow it, but I agree that although its not really a bad thing it doesn't do any good to just keep dwelling on and tweaking it. Until you take the steps to pursue/execute, then it will just remain an idea and nothing more. Ive picked a fairly simple idea that I came up with awhile ago. I feel like it gives me a chance to actually execute for once instead of just getting around to it eventually or picking something way to hard to pursue for a first time idea. I think its clever and done right could do ok or it could fail miserably. Im not really focused on the outcome as much as the process at this point. I want to prove to myself and others that I can take an idea and make it a reality. I still have ideas pop in my head that I right down, but I moved beyond just that at this point and if you want all that lost sleep to mean something, then you should too.

Vassilios

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 5, 2015
Hi guys,

Kind regards,
cescsam

Something my father told me a while ago (he didn't teach me many life lessons) was that if you cannot remember something, it probably wasn't that important anyway.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.