The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building Mental Muscle ?

Anything related to matters of the mind

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
Its relatively easy to build muscle in your arms for example by lifting and good diet. Obviously this has many functional advantages such as strength, endurance more efficient metabolism etc

Similarly if you could build your mental muscle you would improve focus, concentration, memory, cognition etc

Is this something we can improve ?

I have read about transcendental meditation being the closest thing to this. People like Jerry Seinfeld and Howard Stern say it has been like night and day to their lives.

How do you go about this ? I heard you have to pay like $2000 to learn TM.

Improving focus and concentration without drugs, is it possible by meditation or some other means ?

I always find myself daydreaming, scatterbrained, unfocused and my short term memory is dreadful. I forget if I did 3 sets or 2 sets of an exercise in the gym right after I do them because I am thinking about something else completely.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gecko

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, you can and will improve your mental capabilities by meditating.

Do the following:
Every morning before breakfast (and optionally also every evening just before going to sleep) try to meditate for 30 min. Just sit on the ground in a comfortable position (your back should be straight), close your eyes and try not to think. That's the whole secret about it.
You will see that it will get easier after a while, but it's similar to your workouts: To see results you will need TIME and DISCIPLINE.

I promise you, if you really do this for more than just a few days you will see great results.

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
Yes, you can and will improve your mental capabilities by meditating.

Do the following:
Every morning before breakfast (and optionally also every evening just before going to sleep) try to meditate for 30 min. Just sit on the ground in a comfortable position (your back should be straight), close your eyes and try not to think. That's the whole secret about it.
You will see that it will get easier after a while, but it's similar to your workouts: To see results you will need TIME and DISCIPLINE.

I promise you, if you really do this for more than just a few days you will see great results.

I tried this today, it takes around 2-3 minutes to get into that thoughtless zone. I feel a pressure on my head and I can hear/feel my pulse in my brain and fingertips ?

I could only last like 6 minutes though.

Is there a difference between TM where you say a mantra and this technique ?

Gecko

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 28, 2015
I tried this today, it takes around 2-3 minutes to get into that thoughtless zone. I feel a pressure on my head and I can hear/feel my pulse in my brain and fingertips ?

I could only last like 6 minutes though.

Is there a difference between TM where you say a mantra and this technique ?
If you really managed it to get into that "thoughtless zone" for 6 minutes, then that's amazing!
Most people who start meditating have problems to not to think for more than 1 or 2 seconds. And that would be absolutely OK.

I think I know what you mean with "pressure on your head", but there's no right or wrong. If it's uncomfortable you could maybe try to relax more.

You can go with a mantra or listen to relaxing music or do whatever you want. Find out what works best for you. Again, there's no better or worse, it's just different and completely up to you.

Be gentle with yourself. Don't expect anything and be open for everything.

jcarlos

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 13, 2015
Southern USA
You can actually google the mantras you pay 2k for.

Not that it matters. The mantra is just the thing you have chosen to focus on. You could replace mantra with focusing on your breathing or by looking at the facebook logo for 30 seconds then you close your eyes and try to recreate it in your head

Method

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 7, 2015
Been doing this for a while now. It does help you to stay present in the moment.

Induccion

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 2, 2015
If you really managed it to get into that "thoughtless zone" for 6 minutes, then that's amazing!
Most people who start meditating have problems to not to think for more than 1 or 2 seconds. And that would be absolutely OK.

I think I know what you mean with "pressure on your head", but there's no right or wrong. If it's uncomfortable you could maybe try to relax more.

You can go with a mantra or listen to relaxing music or do whatever you want. Find out what works best for you. Again, there's no better or worse, it's just different and completely up to you.

Be gentle with yourself. Don't expect anything and be open for everything.

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
My mind found itself in a huge circular dark hall with a pillar in the centre and I just focus on the pillar.

Does that negate the purpose of meditation ? Since I am thinking of something ?

Ive read that you should imagine yourself going down an lift and focus on the floor number changing on the lift. And get out on one of the floors :confused:

Gecko

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 28, 2015
My mind found itself in a huge circular dark hall with a pillar in the centre and I just focus on the pillar.

Does that negate the purpose of meditation ? Since I am thinking of something ?

Ive read that you should imagine yourself going down an lift and focus on the floor number changing on the lift. And get out on one of the floors :confused:
You stress yourself way too much.
There is no real "purpose" and I guess this kind of thinking causes the stress. But that's OK. In fact, it's normal at the beginning.

In my last post I said, "Don't expect anything". That is the key point for your current situation.
It doesn't matter if you find yourself in a dark hall or on a green meadow or wherever else. Just try to accept it. Don't think about if it's right or wrong, or if it negates a purpose.

The essence of meditation is to say "Yes". To say Yes to the present moment. Regardless of what is happening. To be fully able to accept the moment, you have to BE in that moment. The less you think, the more this the case, because your mind and your thoughts understand the concept of past and future, but not what's happening right now.

But here's the important thing: For now, your "strategy" should not be to try not to think. First of all, just try to accept. Yes, even if you're thinking, try to become aware of that you're thinking, observe the thoughts and then, accept it. You'll see that this observing and accepting will help you to be in more control of your mind. And eventually, it will help you to get into a thoughtless state whenever you want to.

This method will also help you in your everyday life. Whenever something "bad" happens, just try to accept it. Don't think about what should have happened. If you have negative emotions and thoughts, observe and accept these as well. Say Yes to the situation, say Yes to your emotions and even say Yes to your thoughts. It will become easier over time.

I hope this helps you a little. It's not easy to write about this topic since it's very abstract to the mind. There's no real "logic" behind it. You rather have to feel and experience it.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
headspace.com and calm.com are worth checking out for guided mediation.

There are also some decent youtube videos -

Last edited:

Brandon Parker

All or nothing
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 16, 2015
Anchorage, AK
DON'T pay for TM meditation.. meditation isn't complicated.

Based on my research, you definitely can improve cognitive performance through different mediums. Just like in weightlifting, you have to push yourself to grow stronger. If what you do isn't mentally challenging, there isn't growth.

Concentration(Samatha) meditation seems to be a direct way to improve cognitive performance and achieve blissful states. I'm going to be diving deeper into it when I graduate from school in a few days.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Have you ever had a chance to think of why you mind wanders? Flit from one thing to another? Is it related to your behavior?

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Cut out over-stimulation in your life.

Work out first thing when you wake up.

Focus on Goals, Vision, dreams and passion.

To-Do Lists.

Check your Diet.

Get good sleep.

Lift weights, I personally find it improves my overall discipline.

Dont' Multi-Task.

Mr. L

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Apr 7, 2015
Cut out over-stimulation in your life.

Work out first thing when you wake up.

Focus on Goals, Vision, dreams and passion.

To-Do Lists.

Check your Diet.

Get good sleep.

Lift weights, I personally find it improves my overall discipline.

Dont' Multi-Task.

I would add meditation, then the list is complete.

I have also found that running does wonders to my mental health

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Yes! I forgot meditation or mindfulness I try and meditate on bible verses or the bible when I'm reading it or just practicing mindfulness daily.

Definitely need some aerobic exercise in there besides lifting weights, I usually Jog on the treadmill after weights in the gym to cut fat.
Jog/walk fasted in the morning and play touch rugby for sprinting.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Jog/walk fasted in the morning
Yes, this really helps to calm the mind, I always had trouble sitting down and thinking of nothing.

By going for a walk first thing in the morning I get a clear head and reach what I'd consider a zen-like state.
Living in a rural area with many hills, my calves often feel like they are on fire, but
in this state I can just observe my existence, accept the pain, and keep on walking.
Walking meditation.

Here's a free brain training software I fooled around with in the past
http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/

16thCylinder

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 2, 2015
UK
Some great info here. Here are some more suggestions:

Take a high quality ionic trace mineral supplement daily. Trace minerals are essential for optimal brain function - not just memory and concentration but also balancing mood.

An alternative source of trace minerals is Himalayan Salt which contains over 80 trace minerals.

Fats are also important for brain function but they need to be good fats. Some of these are

• Organic Raw Coconut Oil
  • Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Olive Oil
  • a high quality fish oil e.g. Eskimo3
  • Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Organic Flaxseed/Linseed Oil

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
Don't expect instant results.

Consider a daily hand written to do list (goals for day, week, month, and year). Been doing since the 1st, starting to see a boost. Actually feel a little different... If you're going to check off those tasks, you have no choice but to shut up and focus.

Not mental, but I've been doing full body plyometrics for a month (good for athletics). Didn't think I was seeing results...until yesterday when I was an animal on the basketball court. Could hit any shot I wanted! Deep 3's, dunks like in high school (I'm 32)

So whatever you try, stick with it. Could take weeks or months.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
@Gecko You're proposing some dangerous ideas here. The mind MUST have information to process. Trying to not think of anything stagnates the thinking ability. It can be as severe as people losing vital abilities needed to effectively function. A man was hospitalized because he "forgot" how to eat. It was the result of trying to not think of anything. The ability to think in the way we do is what distinguishes humans from animals. Are you trying to go back?

Rather than not thinking about anything, think about one thing. Only one. It could be paying attention to breathing or to a conjured image.

The best lesson I learned about the brain is that it can be trained exactly like a muscle. Yes, using the exact same principle.
It may not make sense, but let me explain. The one greatest lesson I've learned about the mind is that when you do something, you get better at doing it.

How are muscles trained? The purpose of the muscle is to contract at the will of the brain. That results in a certain mechanical motion being produced, due to the way the muscle is attached to the bones. As the brain observes the product of a muscle's contraction, it learns which signal gives which output. Once it's done with all the muscles individually and collectively, it can begin to use them. The ways in which the muscles are used are familiar to all of us. Now, since everything has a price so does the energy for the muscles. When using a body every day, we're also preforming maintenance. Proof of that would be that if you left and eye covered completely, at all times, after a certain period of time, the brain will deem it useless, as it can't fulfill it's purpose of seeing, so it will go blind. It would take no less than a week, but it's an approximation.
When lifting a weight, the energy required to produce the usual mechanical motion in it's original magnitude is raised. The potential biological energy required is stored inside the muscle, which is why it grows. I assume the reader understands the differences and the reason behind them of: strength, aesthetic, and endurance training.

Moving on, the same principle applies to the brain. To train it, one should just understand its functions and use them. For example, the function to memorize new information. Some of the ways to train it(which means going beyond maintenance) would be:
- memorizing increasing chunks of data at a time(Capacity)
- memorizing more data for a given amount of time(Effectiveness)
- remembering data for an extended period of time(Usefulness)

there are two variables at play in the previous examples. Time and Data. Time can be used as a factor in training practically any function of the brain. Keep in mind that training the brain this way is far, far more challenging than a comfy 30 minute session of not thinking.

One more thing. Meditation is very useful. If you're a mountain hermit, or already rich. If you're neither don't bother. You'll benefit more from increasing the general use of cognitive function. An elevated "maintenance" would in any case be more effective than just meditation. Often, efforts made in meditation can be ruined with improper brain usage during the rest of the time of an urban, socially active individual.

Mr. L

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Apr 7, 2015
Trying to not think of anything stagnates the thinking ability. It can be as severe as people losing vital abilities needed to effectively function. A man was hospitalized because he "forgot" how to eat. It was the result of trying to not think of anything.

Interesting, source?

Sounds more like an urban legend.

One more thing. Meditation is very useful. If you're a mountain hermit, or already rich. If you're neither don't bother.

I call bullshit.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
@Mr. L Source is the book called "The attention revolution" It's a wonderful read, by the way.

Just consider it, after reading all of it, of course. A man, or woman, socially active would naturally strive to achieve the best efficiency with their time. The method I propose is more natural and forgiving to a busy schedule. For meditation to be truly effective, and at it's highest effectiveness, It requires a lot of dedication and sacrifice. Compared, it would look like putting a buff, very well toned guy next to bodybuilder. Yes, meditation is more powerful, but it, as well, has a price. And the price is all of your time. For meditation to pay off, a half-assed 30 min session a day will do nothing. It would take at least a few hours a day for it to be more effective than regular increase in overall use. Which is unacceptable to most people, unless, again, they have no social activity in the form of a job, for an example. That can be achieved by either hitting the mountains, or getting rich.

Ultimately, it can provide better results. It just has a ridiculous price tag for most people.

Mr. L

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Apr 7, 2015
@Mr. L Source is the book called "The attention revolution" It's a wonderful read, by the way.

Just consider it, after reading all of it, of course. A man, or woman, socially active would naturally strive to achieve the best efficiency with their time. The method I propose is more natural and forgiving to a busy schedule. For meditation to be truly effective, and at it's highest effectiveness, It requires a lot of dedication and sacrifice. Compared, it would look like putting a buff, very well toned guy next to bodybuilder. Yes, meditation is more powerful, but it, as well, has a price. And the price is all of your time. For meditation to pay off, a half-assed 30 min session a day will do nothing. It would take at least a few hours a day for it to be more effective than regular increase in overall use. Which is unacceptable to most people, unless, again, they have no social activity in the form of a job, for an example. That can be achieved by either hitting the mountains, or getting rich.

Ultimately, it can provide better results. It just has a ridiculous price tag for most people.

I meditate in the morning and in the evening for 10-20 minutes and I see results.

Mr. L

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Apr 7, 2015
Proof of that would be that if you left and eye covered completely, at all times, after a certain period of time, the brain will deem it useless, as it can't fulfill it's purpose of seeing, so it will go blind

What about the people who had an eye injury/surgery and need their eyes to be covered for a whole month? What do you say about that?
Do they go blind? lmao

Also, what happened to the chilean miners who were trapped under the ground? Did they go blind?

The exact opposite happened, they became extremely sensitive to light.

"After more than two months without natural light, their eyes may have lost the ability to adapt to it. Their corneas may be especially sensitive to ultra-violet light, which is why the miners are wearing $260 sunglasses donated by Oakley as they emerge from underground. Ophthalmologists treating the miners will likely expose them slowly to natural light over the next few days."

miners-health_wide-2901331061da58d2ac4f6cef5a3e1ca7424225b8-s1100-c15.jpg

Keep in mind that training the brain this way is far, far more challenging than a comfy 30 minute session of not thinking.

Meditation is not about challenge and hard work.
It eases the mind, it helps with focus

Oh btw, it's not only about the training, it's also about the resting.

That's how muscles grow = Train + Eat Properly + Rest and sleep enough

Sorry for being a smartass, prove me wrong if I'm not right.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
@Mr. L
Right. So, about the miners. You see, I wasn't truly sure about adults. I have definitely witnesses a child becoming blind in one eye like this. The paranoid mother covered the eye. That still doesn't make my point false, though. You actually proved it. Useless things cease to function, and later, exist. The proof would be that the miner's ability to adapt to light was lost. Also, moles.

You're not getting the point. The brain needs rest when overused. It rest from such a state by not being overused further. Now, the brain never is truly inactive. Unless you're dead. Not using is killing the brain. Not overusing the brain lets it rest. The psyche itself is the result of the brains functioning. No functioning, no psyche. No psyche, you guessed it- your dog can beat you at chess now. All these replies have become mundane. They're already too much anyway. I'll finalize my replying to this thread with this.
You're too careful. Too wary. It's all right to be wary about information. The problem arises in excess. It results in reading every word without reading the whole text. In summary, a point can be right even if there are typos in the text, or even outdated or improperly presented information. And that's because a text like my first post here isn't written to inform people that they'll go blind guaranteed if they go around with an eye patch for a week, or that the rich can afford to spend hours meditating.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Do the thing you should do first thing in the morning. More choices you make during the day = less chance to do that thing later.

Watch this and get to work:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.