Enjoy Freedom? Money?

Get Breaking Fastlane Updates.
  1. the entrepreneurs red pill

Talk To Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs ... for FREE!

Some people take advice from millionaires, others take advice from people who want to be millionaires. If you're tired of taking millionaire advice from your broke uncle, your paycheck-to-paycheck friend, or your 30K millionaire co-worker, register today and get the uncensored, and yes, the sometimes uncomfortable truth from real millionaires who live and die in the entrepreneurial trenches.
    register for the fastlane forum

Start Your Own Personal Revolution: Grab the Book that Started it All!

Get The Millionaire Fastlane ||| Download 3 FREE Chapters ||| Learn More

Broker/Import-Export/Alibaba.com - Anyone tried?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneurship and Startup' started by Gymjunkie, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Gymjunkie

Gymjunkie 60 kph FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $59
    Anyone tried brokering and importing/exporting through alibaba.com.

Basically, I just learned about a seemingly great business model. You find some distressed goods from manufacturer/seller, you find a buyer for it on ecommerce site like alibaba.com or even in offline world. You set up a meet for them if needed and help set up shipping. You get your comission.

One can have big margins on that.

Or even a smaller margin like one guy sells wallpaper for 70 cents/unt which costs 50ct/unt at manufaturer's. He makes 5k average comission on a deal.

If one works on this full time, you can have multiple deals every week.

Personally, I'm gonna try this out. Select a niche and then start brokering.. Even if I pulled off only a deal a month I could make dull time income from it prolly.

Anyone tried this or wants to try?
    AJ. likes this.
  2. AJ.

AJ. 20 kph Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $25
    Sounds like a plan!

Finding those distressed manufacturers is one of the initial hurdles... yet I think I can see the big picture.

GO FOR IT! :D
  3. Gymjunkie

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $59
    Yeah, I'm going for it. Working now on a list of companies to contact (suppliers). Selecting two niches now.

I think some people on this forum should have done brokering like this. I'm surprised there are no one sharing experience (or this may be such a good opportunity no one wants to share...).

I don't think finding supplies will be tough.. it's a numbers game. THE toughest thing is money transfer and legal stuff.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Pinnacle

Pinnacle 40 kph Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $70
    I'm looking at Alibaba for apparel suppliers for my brand. I created an account a few weeks ago. It looks very promising but I am still in a shopping mode right now.
  5. Gymjunkie

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $59
  6. biophase

biophase Warp 1 LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $5,659
    Are you looking for a distressed manufacturer in China and trying to match them up with an Ecomm store in the US?
  7. Gymjunkie

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $59
    Preferably looking for American company and then sell it to outside of US. But if I finds something good than why not.

Looks like American companies can write off distressed merchandise and that allows them to sell it cheap, cents on a dollar. Then I post an ad and wait for good buyers...

It sounds real simple.. I can't wait to start.
  8. NHS

NHS 20 kph Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $38
    I've signed up for it and emailed several people with no replies. I've since found manufacturers on my own and got my plate full.

It sounds great but if they don't answer emails or the phone what can I do?
  9. Gymjunkie

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $59
    Sometimes doing it twice helps...I had to contact one South African company and talk them into letting my employers become representatives of their product in Ireland. They didn't respond first... Few weeks later I emailed them again. They responded by referring us to UK representatives. We didn't get to be exclusive yet (possible in the future) but we did get to sell the stuff..

If that doesn't work, look for new ones! ;)
  10. gabmiller12

gabmiller12 5 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $8
    Hello, I tried Alibaba and it was not a satisfying experience. some of the suppliers are very difficult to deal with. Somebody recommended me a european based Business Searcher, called Momoway. I will have a go with them.
  11. Pershing

Pershing 10 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $15
    if you try to google phrases like "trade broker" or "liquidation broker" you'll find poor results, and that's because the infos about the subject are so precious that no one is willing to share. I tried to concact some brokers but they don't want to share the most important things.

I tried to find sellers and buyers, and tested the market posting some classified ads saying that I have like 1.000 units of product X, and some potential buyers were pretty interested in them. OPPORTUNITIES DO EXIST!!

The most important aspect, and the first problem I encountered is: how to avoid seller trying to contact the buyer? In this business contacts are so so precious, and you must keep them like a TOP SECRET.

...and, what is the most common procedure, step by step, of a typical transaction? How does the broker work?

Who wants to keep in touch with me to know everything about trade brokering?

You don't need Alibaba, you can brokering with buyer and seller both from US or Europe (I'm from Italy)
  12. trshosta

trshosta 5 kph

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $16
    Gymjunkie, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering whether you had any success brokering export deals as I am considering doing it myself. I am assuming you read John Durham's Alibaba Gold. I just joined to get in touch with you. Your inbox is full so can't send you a PM.
  13. Dilshad

Dilshad PARKED

Speed Points:
    Rep Bank:
    $10
    You can always contact your local custom broker for the legal stuff and check out cbp.gov for rules and regulations. I am so confused which business to get into. Sometimes I think real estate sometimes clothing etc.
Certain Xenforo Add-Ons by Waindigo