The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Broker/Import-Export/Alibaba.com - Anyone tried?

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Anyone tried brokering and importing/exporting through alibaba.com.

Basically, I just learned about a seemingly great business model. You find some distressed goods from manufacturer/seller, you find a buyer for it on ecommerce site like alibaba.com or even in offline world. You set up a meet for them if needed and help set up shipping. You get your comission.

One can have big margins on that.

Or even a smaller margin like one guy sells wallpaper for 70 cents/unt which costs 50ct/unt at manufaturer's. He makes 5k average comission on a deal.

If one works on this full time, you can have multiple deals every week.

Personally, I'm gonna try this out. Select a niche and then start brokering.. Even if I pulled off only a deal a month I could make dull time income from it prolly.

Anyone tried this or wants to try?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AJ.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2010
Sounds like a plan!

Finding those distressed manufacturers is one of the initial hurdles... yet I think I can see the big picture.

GO FOR IT! :D

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, I'm going for it. Working now on a list of companies to contact (suppliers). Selecting two niches now.

I think some people on this forum should have done brokering like this. I'm surprised there are no one sharing experience (or this may be such a good opportunity no one wants to share...).

I don't think finding supplies will be tough.. it's a numbers game. THE toughest thing is money transfer and legal stuff.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I'm looking at Alibaba for apparel suppliers for my brand. I created an account a few weeks ago. It looks very promising but I am still in a shopping mode right now.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Are you looking for a distressed manufacturer in China and trying to match them up with an Ecomm store in the US?

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Preferably looking for American company and then sell it to outside of US. But if I finds something good than why not.

Looks like American companies can write off distressed merchandise and that allows them to sell it cheap, cents on a dollar. Then I post an ad and wait for good buyers...

It sounds real simple.. I can't wait to start.

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
I've signed up for it and emailed several people with no replies. I've since found manufacturers on my own and got my plate full.

It sounds great but if they don't answer emails or the phone what can I do?

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Sometimes doing it twice helps...I had to contact one South African company and talk them into letting my employers become representatives of their product in Ireland. They didn't respond first... Few weeks later I emailed them again. They responded by referring us to UK representatives. We didn't get to be exclusive yet (possible in the future) but we did get to sell the stuff..

If that doesn't work, look for new ones! ;)

gabmiller12

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 15, 2010
Hello, I tried Alibaba and it was not a satisfying experience. some of the suppliers are very difficult to deal with. Somebody recommended me a european based Business Searcher, called Momoway. I will have a go with them.

Pershing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
424%
Jan 25, 2012
if you try to google phrases like "trade broker" or "liquidation broker" you'll find poor results, and that's because the infos about the subject are so precious that no one is willing to share. I tried to concact some brokers but they don't want to share the most important things.

I tried to find sellers and buyers, and tested the market posting some classified ads saying that I have like 1.000 units of product X, and some potential buyers were pretty interested in them. OPPORTUNITIES DO EXIST!!

The most important aspect, and the first problem I encountered is: how to avoid seller trying to contact the buyer? In this business contacts are so so precious, and you must keep them like a TOP SECRET.

...and, what is the most common procedure, step by step, of a typical transaction? How does the broker work?

Who wants to keep in touch with me to know everything about trade brokering?

You don't need Alibaba, you can brokering with buyer and seller both from US or Europe (I'm from Italy)

trshosta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 10, 2013
Gymjunkie, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering whether you had any success brokering export deals as I am considering doing it myself. I am assuming you read John Durham's Alibaba Gold. I just joined to get in touch with you. Your inbox is full so can't send you a PM.

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
Yeah, I'm going for it. Working now on a list of companies to contact (suppliers). Selecting two niches now.

I think some people on this forum should have done brokering like this. I'm surprised there are no one sharing experience (or this may be such a good opportunity no one wants to share...).

I don't think finding supplies will be tough.. it's a numbers game. THE toughest thing is money transfer and legal stuff.

You can always contact your local custom broker for the legal stuff and check out cbp.gov for rules and regulations. I am so confused which business to get into. Sometimes I think real estate sometimes clothing etc.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks @Gymjunkie for the original post...I am actually getting into Trade brokering right now, although with a slightly different approach firstly it is all offline for now. @Pershing are you still following this thread? I might have some queries soon.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks @Gymjunkie for the original post...I am actually getting into Trade brokering right now, although with a slightly different approach firstly it is all offline for now. @Pershing are you still following this thread? I might have some queries soon.

Cheers. Gave it a try after finding information by John Durham but it didn't work for me. Couldn't do 50 calls a day.. and after talking with some suppliers didn't like it in the end. Not my thing. But for someone with the right skillset, can be great stuff.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Right.... what about turning it into Fastlane...? Maybe the process itself as a business service could be done...importgenius.com is more an information/data provider, so I think that industry can still be distrupted or some kind of innnovation can take place...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.