The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Breathing Life Into An Old Industry...Literally

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ck4750

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Feb 17, 2014
Missouri
First off, can't thank this forum enough for the vast amount of knowledge you guys readily give. I've started a business I'm sure very few are into so I hope you find this at the very least somewhat interesting.

I'm in the antiques and home decor industry. I sell unique antiques I find as well as custom lighting and tables etc. I just jumped in using the ready, fire, aim approach and I'm refining my process as I go.

I started about 9 months ago and we've managed to be right at 45k in sales so far. Obviously the MAJOR problem with this industry is the fact that I have to hunt down every unique piece I sell. Not that I don't enjoy that but it does make it harder to scale. What I personally see as my future is having around a 50/50 mix of custom built lighting/furniture to unique pieces. Which would alleviate the problem most antique dealers face of having 100% unique antiques. The custom pieces have a much, much better margin. So using a common sense approach I'm trying to push those first and the antiques second. The reason I'm not ditching the antiques all together is because it completes a certain look we're trying to achieve.

Another issue is the sales channels I've been using. Mainly doing antique shows and interior design shows. I'm gaining a lot of customers but as you can imagine, loading a trailer and heading across the country gets to be a bit of a pain. But I am willing to put in that work to get a bigger customer base.

So to help solve this problem I'm studying Instagram a little better and building a website. (It's nowhere near done) I have made 4 or 5 sales from Instagram alone. I've made one sale so far on my website! (That's not sarcasm I was literally pumped)

I've recently reached out to a company (wholesaler) that has a good sized buying base that sells handmade goods such as mine. A friend of mine uses this company and they increased their sales somewhere around 75k just through this one company.

Obviously getting everything reproduced is an option. It just ruins the authenticity of items. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback.

So you guys can better understand what I'm talking about here's my site and IG
www.ctrculture.com
@ctrculture

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Jet Aircraft Burner Cans ? Artist's Pallet ? Seriously ? Soooo Coool !

I'll be watching. Congrats so far !

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Big fan of your business here! I build my own furniture as a hobby (and sell a few).

Would love to see you expand your line on the website. More products will yield more credibility and give visitors more to ooohhh an ahhh about.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ck4750

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Feb 17, 2014
Missouri
Big fan of your business here! I build my own furniture as a hobby (and sell a few).

Would love to see you expand your line on the website. More products will yield more credibility and give visitors more to ooohhh an ahhh about.
Thanks for the feedback guys. That makes sense. I'm definitely going to get more products on the site soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

John Robert

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2014
Awesome stuff man! I love the passion.

Instagram is a GREAT place for stuff such as what you sell, i know people who makes many hundreds of thousands per month in online sales alone, from traffic they get from instagram.

Another traffic channel that works very well for home items and interior decoration is pinterest...my wife finds so much stuff to buy on there itd make your head spin!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.