The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best price points for clothing industry?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
Sales are starting to roll in, and I want to make the most out of this.

We sell cosplay costumes and our items range from $50-400, so what would you say are optimal price points as far as conversions? (For example, 189.99 or 164.99) Most sales are coming from ebay

I know testing is the best way to find out, but if someone could give me a starting point for my testing that would be great help

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Toushi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Aug 3, 2013
I would recommend split testing different price points, tracking the sales and see which ones hit off, I donno if youve looked at completed listings on ebay yet...

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
When Mrs jon.a and I have our computer store in the last century, I used to like weird price points like $3.46 $8.21 $19.73 I thought it looked like we gave some thought to what we chose to price at.

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
Thanks! I've done some testing since the first post and I've found a few sweet spots as far as pricing. So I'll help out anyone else who is also wondering about price points

Here's what I've learned

-You should end alot of your items with the number 9 for more conversions
-69.99 performs alot better than 59.99
-289.99 is a good price point
-239.99 and 139.99 are good price points
-for your most luxurious/top quality items, it is probably be best to end in .00 instead of .99 (example: 200.00)

will update later with more tips if you guys are interested

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Definitely interested in this. I think the price is far less important than conveying uncomparable value though. For me, if I see something that really appeals to me, I dont care about the price unless its outrageous. Not saying certain price points don't matter though

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
You can really start affecting conversions when you can have multiple offers on one page using psychology. I dont think it would be possible on ebay, and I cant really think of a way it would be possible for you in your niche but maybe once you read this you can come up with a way.

I read an interesting article about decoy pricing. It was a news letter that could be bought in print or web versions, there were 3 offers, web only for 59, print only for 125 or print and web for 125. 80+ percent chose print and web for 125 (rest chose web only). when they removed the print only version for 125, and only offered web for 59 and print + web for 125 then 70% chose web only for 59. The finding was pretty obvious, once they added in the decoy price everyone wanted the "value buy" of print and web for $125.

How can you work this into your business?

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
That's funny 1step, I posted the exact same article/video on the fastlane forum not too long ago. it's a very interesting concept. I could use this with having 3 different shipping options, (for example: 10-15 days for 9.99, 5 day shipping for 21.99, and next day shipping for 22.99) but then again I use free shipping for all listings as thats our store policy

The only other way I can think of for ebay is to have a separate section in your ebay listings that shows 3 promo products: one for 59.99, one for 147.99, and the hottest one of them all for 149.99

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
If you have a large number of costumes at say the $100 price point you could do 1 for 100, 2 for 200, 3 for 200. I would assume a large number are only buying 1 costume so this is a way to raise your average customer value.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.