The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Avoid a HUGE MISTAKE: Selling a Business

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
Imagine this situation: You're starting out and want to find a business for yourself. You note that you have basically no useful skills, except you have a good sense of design, humor and an eye for fashion. You decide to make an online fashion consulting business.

After you've got a general idea of what you'd like to do, you go ahead and scope out competition. You stumble upon a guy with an italian-ish last name selling hair styling, fashion, grooming, fitness and similar consulting. He looks like he's making good money, so you decide to snoop around a little bit more. You find that his two main sources of income are advertised YouTube videos and his online products. His videos are also his main marketing medium.

It seems to you that such a business could be Fastlane. The videos and products can float on the internet forever, making money.

You decide to go for it. You start grinding, making lots of videos, networking, putting up some products for sale..
Now, it's been a few years, and your business seems to have it all: A wonderfully loyal customer base, a big conversion ratio, lots of traffic and, of course, lots of profit. From your beginning, the profits have skyrocketed. Everything is perfect.

You decide it's time to sell. You've had good times with your business, and overall, the journey has been fun. You've covered most of the topics there are to cover in your business.
So, you put the business up for sale, and also put the word out. Now, you're waiting for offers. To your surprise, the offers are rare and ridiculously low. After some time, you get frustrated and ask a potential buyer, after another stupidly low offer, why the hell is the offer so low?

What happens next is an eye-opener to you. The buyer says: "Are you really asking me that? Go to your website and take a good look at it. Every inch of it, except for ad space is covered with your ugly face."
Wow. You're amazed. All this time you didn't even notice. You've made your business all about yourself, and with that, you've made yourself your business.

Can you see it now? The ugly grin of the creeping consumer mindset. You've made yourself a rockstar, and now, without you, there won't be any rock.
Now you have to "start again", "rebuild", "recommit".

NEVER make your business about yourself. Always make the business about the business. What you make in a venture that's all about you is simply content. Now, I know that "Content is king", however, in the market for businesses, people want to buy a business, and a functional one. Selling content disguised as a business is like selling hot dogs in a middle of a top-class restaurant.

I'd love for this post to find you well before you've made such a mistake. And I sincerely hope it doesn't make you feel regret, for being foolish, but make you feel relief, for helping you avoid a disaster.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Great post and entirely true. But id also say "you" is lumped as personal you and business you. Focus on how the business helps and provides value or noone will buy what you're selling and you won't have a business to sell!

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
Great post and entirely true. But id also say "you" is lumped as personal you and business you. Focus on how the business helps and provides value or noone will buy what you're selling and you won't have a business to sell!

Agree. Good point.

For a business like that(applies to all businesses actually), if you don't focus on value, it won't even generate revenue, plus you can't sell it. It would be such a miss for a money chaser :D

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I think in simplified terms it's a lot harder to sell a business based around a personality, than it is based around a brand (and yes, personalities can be brands)

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
dats why im i always keep the "brand" in mind.

My company name should be famous, not me.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
dats why im i always keep the "brand" in mind.

My company name should be famous, not me.

Well, it depends on one's personality. Some people may like being famous. That's completely fine. However, making a business BE a person in order to get fame is disastrous.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Well, it depends on one's personality. Some people may like being famous. That's completely fine. However, making a business BE a person in order to get fame is disastrous.

I would LOVE to be famous, but business wise of course id rather my company didn't live or die by my "famousness", so the brand is more important. Apple didn't die when steve jobs died.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.