The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Attention Coders and Wannabes

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
There's a company called Pluralsight that specializes in technical training videos. They've been around for a while, so you may already be familiar with them. They have thousands of hours of videos available online, and they're pretty decent quality.

Well, they've recently acquired another entity called Code School that specializes more in online courses. So they're running a deal for the next couple of days where you can get 72 hours of free access to everything they have.

www.codeschool.com/pluralsight

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for sharing. Looks similar to codecademy from what I can tell. My problem is that neither have any C courses :banghead:

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I could use one right about now to dig out my car

Lol.. how much snow you getting so far?

Shovels...

THIS IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE QUOTE! Learned it from my dad, his favorite jeans are Levis and has always asked me.. "Son, do you know who made all the money during the gold rush?" "The guy selling shovels and jeans"

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Lol.. how much snow you getting so far?

Not too bad probably got about a foot but it's still coming down. NY/NJ didn't get it as bad as they were supposed to but I heard Massachusetts got hit hard.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012

Pretty "truth", but not totally in this context.

After all, these guys built out their platform to teach code...with code. I bet the founders got the idea from when they themselves looked for similar learning resouces.

"Hey, the market could use a consolidated place for high quality tutorials to modern tech stacks, after all--I can't find a site that's intuitive to use, looks great, and has a balance of videos and written content. We should make one."

"KK, bro".

This was back in 2011...

Easy 3 year exit.

Last edited by a moderator:

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Pretty "truth", but not totally in this context.

After all, these guys built out their platform to teach code...with code. I bet the founders got the idea from when they themselves looked for similar learning resouces.

"Hey, the market could use a consolidated place for high quality tutorials to modern tech stacks, after all--I can't find a site that's intuitive to use, looks great, and has a balance of videos and written content. We should make one."

"KK, bro".

This was back in 2011...

Easy 3 year exit.

Was it the same for Codecademy and the other similar code schools?

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
The structure and value-proposition of Codeacademy and Codeschool is different.

The first one simulates a workspace, one part text editor, one part terminal/output, one part example code with instructions. There's no videos. It's bite sized lessons grouped into larger fragments that put together a curriculum. Easy to get started, check your notes, and to progress. It should come as no surprise that Codeacademy is doing very well. Not many 10 month old startups get a cool ten mil' in the bank. I took their Ruby courses in preparation for a coding bootcamp.

I haven't gone through Codeschool to give a review yet, but I can already tell that they offer a different service than Codeacademy. They feature topics at a more precise and advanced level, and videos play a big role. While Codeacademy might give you a intro to Ruby, Codeschool will give you a curriculum on building Ruby on Rails APIs. As an intermediate level developer, I'm actually interested in some of their courses, and I'll probably run through at least one--though I think 3 or 4 could be valuable to me.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Not to get off track here, but Coursera is a great place for many free courses. You can take some of the same courses they teach undergrads taking BSCS tracks. I'm doing the android one right now. It's definitely not "make your app in 24 hours", this is a class for people planning to do career coding, so it is thorough and doesn't teach "just what you need to know" (which IMHO will burn you sooner rather than later when it comes to programming anyway). There's also a "light" android class that's more about flash-style apps using fixed layouts. I took the C++ course last year, the professor was the guy that wrote one of the most recommended C++ textbooks. Aside from coding there are lots of business classes, there is a group of startup classes going right now. All of these are free, they are pushing more heavily to get you to do paid "signature classes" and cutting back on any kind of certificates for free classes. However, people here probably don't care about racking up credentials but actually learning the material to apply. That means you can ignore deadlines, you can turn in quizzes and homework until the last day and still get a score for yourself, even if you don't get official credit. If the class is over the archive of it generally sticks around until the next class, so you can go back and access the content for classes that are already done. All of this is free. It's a great resource.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Thanks for sharing. Looks similar to codecademy from what I can tell. My problem is that neither have any C courses :banghead:
First of all there's lots of resources for learning C. Just look to Google.

Second, why are you trying to learn C? It's not often that new coders want to learn C, since it's mainly used for writing kernels, and low-level pieces of code.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007