The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are People With High IQs More Successful?

Water

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
506%
Jun 1, 2015
Generally speaking, people who score higher on IQ tests will, on average, go on to do better in conventional measures of success in their life. But is it true?

Intelligent quotient(IQ) tests, by scientific definition, measures a person's reasoning ability( how good are you at solving problems? ), it is designed to assess human intelligence.

How much IQs are needed to succeed in life? How do I increase it? Or do I even need to care?
Let's face it, we've all been curious about how smart we need to be in order to get to where we want to be faster. I'm one of them.

So I did some research. Here's what I found:

Jay Zagorsky, author of a study on wealth and IQ and a research scientist at Ohio State University's Center for Human Resource Research says ''People don't become rich because they are smart,'' he said ''Your IQ has really no relationship to your wealth.'

Warren Buffet, one of the richest billionaires in the world says that if you have an IQ over 130 you should sell the extra to someone else.

Your IQ has LITTLE to do with how wealthy you become.

What are your views on this subject?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
There is some relationship but not what most people would expect.

People with low to very low IQ's (under 80) tend to be poor.

Other than that there is not much of a relationship between IQ and wealth.

So a guy with 80 IQ can become rich and a guy with 150 can become rich as well.

There is some correlation though depending on type of business and type of investment career.

Businesses and investments that involve high degrees of abstract reasoning tend to favor high IQ people.

Successful stock market investors and successful founder/CEO's of IT companies tend to have high IQ's.

Most types of businesses however require average or just over average IQ's.

Last edited:

Nick314

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 14, 2015
Ability to reason is completely independent from choices to act and persistence to ignore failure and keep working towards a goal.
Well, the last half of that is only partially true--you have to be smart enough to realize when a goal is actually not possible and it's time to make a different one. However, I do feel fairly confident in stating that the threshold where that would be an issue is probably quite low. (Envisioning the futile attempt of a zombie reaching through a fence for something.)

All that being said, I think that reasoning ability can affect the time it takes to get things done--specifically things that require learning and reasoning skills, *possibly* making wealth take less time to achieve for someone smarter. *But*, just because a smarter person might learn something new faster, doesn't mean they will choose to act on it sooner--and even if they act on something sooner, the timing of the response from the market is independent still--so unless the choice to act are the same and the difference in learning is very drastic, I really don't see any significant wealth advantage in the big scheme.

You could also probably draw an argument that excess intelligence can sometimes even retard success, because one fairly common attribute of highly intelligent people is procrastination resulting from overconfidence. This is a very common problem manifested among software developers. After they have understood a problem they underestimate the time required to implement the solution--since they can fit the solution in their head (usually in an abstract form) they don't admit that implementing it will take much longer than they anticipate--thus sometimes they will delay their execution thinking they can still meet a specific deadline.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 2, 2013
If you aren't smart enough then get a mentor who is.

Hire people smarter than you.

Find a mastermind group.

Yes, being smarter is better. This has been shown repeatedly in study after study.

But you can compensate with other skills. Hustle. Creativity. Salesmanship. Risk taking.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Yes, I think having a high IQ helps. No, I don't think it's a prerequisite for success. Your IQ isn't determined by your grades in school, how many answers to pop quiz questions you retain or how big your vocabulary is. It measures problems solving, pattern recognition and your ability to learn new things. Think about it, when you take an IQ test, does it ask you trivia questions about pop culture? No.

I think this is where people confuse IQ with being able win on Jeopardy for a month straight. A game show that tested IQ would give contestants problems they've never seen before, and measuring their ability to solve them while being timed.

So, in life and in business, we look for patterns, solve problems and learn new things all the time. Will it help to be able to do those better than others? Yes. Can you hire someone to do this for you? Yes, and doing so is a good way to solve a problem.

A fearless person with a low IQ will have more success than a person with a high IQ scared to do anything.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Intelligence advantage is cancelled out by inherent laziness.

If we're born smart, then we go through school taking the easy route. It teaches us that we don't have to work as hard.

Meanwhile, the kid with average intelligence, that is equally ambitious, works his a$$ off. That teaches discipline and that you need to work for what you want.

The two - hard work and intelligence - can combine into something great. However, it's a matter of first teaching ourselves to work hard first. Hard work outdoes intelligence any day of the week.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 2, 2013
Do you really think Stephen Hawking doesn't have a high IQ?

People who boast about their height are losers too. Does that mean tall people aren't more likely to be in the NBA?

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 2, 2013

There is some correlation though depending on type of business and type of investment career.

Businesses and investments that involve high degrees of abstract reasoning tend to favor high IQ people.

Successful stock market investors and successful founder/CEO's of IT companies tend to have high IQ's.

For most types of businesses however require average or just over average IQ's.

Great point.

Many studies have shown IQ becomes a stronger predictor of success the more complex a job becomes.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
Do you really think Stephen Hawking doesn't have a high IQ?

People who boast about their height are losers too. Does that mean tall people aren't more likely to be in the NBA?
lol he said it ironically i guess because persons always said that he is the smartest man in the world with the highest iq and stuff like that.the one by denis waitley is true though.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Two people I know come to mind anytime I hear high IQ. One is my cousin, one is an old friend who I no longer see, for good reason. For such smart guys I've seen them do really dip-shit things.. And not be very successful.

Oh, spoiler alert: they're both schizophrenic (not kidding)

DayIFly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 16, 2012
Intelligence is of paramount importance. I think there is no question about it.

The only question is whether IQ tests represent this "ability" accordingly. As far as I know, these tests are not perfect, but we don't have anything better. Because of this imperfection we can't simply compare 2 people with each other based on this, but rather we have to look at large groups. If we look at large groups, people with higher IQs tend to be better off.

I searched a bit on Amazon and found this book here. I haven't read it. But it looks like it's an up-to-date summary about the science behind IQ tests. For everybody who's interested...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OGLKHDO/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

PS:
As for quoting certain billionaires in certain competitive sectors, I would be very careful. To survive and prosper in these areas you sure as hell have to be very clever and astute.

juggler619

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 25, 2015
Abu Dhabi
Actually, You Can Change Your IQ If You Work Hard Enough!! Eitherways IQ doesn't matter if your a "Do'er" rather than dreamer!

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Play to your strengths.

I'm sure you've all heard the quote about judging a fish by its ability to climb a tree.

(EDIT: You can build strengths too. It doesn't have to be an inborn talent/affinity.)

D

Deleted21961

People with low to very low IQ's (under 80) tend to be poor.

I would argue this is backwards. People that are poor tend to have lower IQ because of poverty.
When you are constantly in survival mode, you have no time to stretch your abstract thinking muscle.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
I would argue this is backwards. People that are poor tend to have lower IQ because of poverty.
When you are constantly in survival mode, you have no time to stretch your abstract thinking muscle.
The movie "Trading Places" comes to my mind. Eddie Murphy's character definately became smarter throughout the movie.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Play to your strengths.

I'm sure you've all heard the quote about judging a fish by its ability to climb a tree.

(EDIT: You can build strengths too. It doesn't have to be an inborn talent/affinity.)

Exactly. Horses for courses.

A very good friend of mine who has a doctorate in Applied Chemistry says that several of his esteemed colleagues would not know how to change a light bulb, and he was not kidding. We all have strengths and weaknesses we can play down or play to. Success comes from knowing these abilities/inabilities and leveraging them accordingly.

I read recently that there is no correlation between income and IQ once an IQ exceeds 120. However this interesting post debunks that theory:

http://pumpkinperson.com/2014/11/09/hypocrites-who-deny-linear-iq-income-correlation/

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
I'm not sure I'd be quick to agree that the two were directly related.. There may be a loose correlation as far as some people becoming successful because they find the position where their thinking becomes their trade, but I've met some seemingly intellectual people living on the breadline who just can't or won't change their mindset to enable them to progress; I have friends who are 'book smart' with multiple degrees and doctorates (not in themselves a measure of 'IQ' but you can agree that to understand the most technical sciences, you've got to have some brain power behind you) who are earning much less than I; and I've also worked with people who have had the highest of positions in a company, yet struggled with the concept of calculating a percentage, or grasping the logic of a cost proposal that has been put to them.

Environment and DNA only determine where along the timeline you start, how far along it you travel is dependant on your determination and attitude. That's not to take anything away from people with lower incomes. Circumstances can break a person in a way that is all to easy to dismiss from an outside perspective.

I beleive that success is not limited by intellect or circumstance, although certain combinations of the both may lend themselves more favourably.

Drq

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 7, 2015
There is a very good theory by Malcolm Gladwell (i think this was the interview but not sure) :

where he basically points out that although you need a high IQ to a certain extent, that is not the deciding factor. His approach sees it as one prerequisite, and once you are over the threshold, more doesn't make you more successful -> other factors take over.

In his example, he takes two people that have/had higher IQ than Einstein, one of them succeeds as everyone would expect while the other one spends his life working as a night club security guy.

It's a very interesting approach, and in fact reminds me of Warren Buffet's speech in India where he tells the graduates with the highest IQ: "If you have above 130, shave off everything above that and give it to the guy next to you, you don't need it to do what I do."

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
There is a very good theory by Malcolm Gladwell (i think this was the interview but not sure) :

where he basically points out that although you need a high IQ to a certain extent, that is not the deciding factor. His approach sees it as one prerequisite, and once you are over the threshold, more doesn't make you more successful -> other factors take over.

In his example, he takes two people that have/had higher IQ than Einstein, one of them succeeds as everyone would expect while the other one spends his life working as a night club security guy.

It's a very interesting approach, and in fact reminds me of Warren Buffet's speech in India where he tells the graduates with the highest IQ: "If you have above 130, shave off everything above that and give it to the guy next to you, you don't need it to do what I do."
if you even look at henry ford and thomas edison most of these guys didn't even spend 5 years in school and they are great entrepreneurs of their time and if you look richard branson well his massively successful career speaks for itself.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
A high IQ obviously doesn't hurt but it's likely not a very good indicator of success in entrepreneurship.

hard-work-beats-talent-264x243.jpg

This quote can also be used for IQ.
Taking action and the right mindset beats high IQ if high IQ doesn't take action and has a shitty mindset.

Guess what... 95%+ of all people are action fakers and have a bad mindset.

I would bet all day long on a low IQ person that takes action and believes in himself over a random high IQ person.

BTW a high IQ can actually be a problem for a lot of people because they tend to research everything do death before they take action. A lot of high IQ individuals also tend to be perfectionists.

Those traits might be good for an employee but are counter intuitive for entrepreneurs.

In my experience people with lower IQ's often tend to take more action and don't second guess everything. This leads to more real life experience that all the smart kids that don't dare to take action and risk failing can never learn in books.

Nick314

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 14, 2015
Also, don't forget the impact of belief which is also independent from reasoning ability. Some of the sharpest minds in science fall into the trap of believing things not actually proven, and subsequently make life decisions founded on those beliefs, not always to their financial benefit. It can happen to anyone, in any walk of life, in any career field, with a belief in any topic.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
OP...I went to school with one of those guys with a super high IQ ...He has had a tough life feeding his need to continuously learn...anything....drifting through a strange world alone. I pity him whenever I see him now as he is considered the local mad man. He is anything but mad, but just lacked direction and in turn could not channel his energy into the right mould.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
if you even look at henry ford and thomas edison most of these guys didn't even spend 5 years in school and they are great entrepreneurs of their time and if you look richard branson well his massively successful career speaks for itself.

If you were to sum it up in one word, the common link between Ford, Edison and Branson is not IQ, it's persistence.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.