The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

App Developer

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013
Ive been on the form for quite some time and have learned so much so I figured why not give back, I have been an app developer for the last 5 years. I have apps reach the #2 paid spot on the iPad app store, had apps reach the top 25 paid on the iPhone app store and have gotten #1 in various categories. I would love to answer any questions you guys have about app development. Ask away:)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Which platforms do you make apps for besides iOS?

Do you code the apps yourself?

Do you make the same apps across different platforms?

Which platform have you had the most success in?

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013

We do code all of the apps. We have made apps for android but the market is not as profitable as the iPhone market. So we have had the most success in the iPhone market.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
We have made apps for android but the market is not as profitable as the iPhone market. So we have had the most success in the iPhone market.

Why do you think this is? Given that Android is more popular that all the other platforms combined.

P.S. thanks for doing this thread. I've been eager to have a convo with an experienced app developer.

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013
With android you do not have an entry barrier, unless your app is really complicated or very original, your app idea can be stolen and reproduced in a matter of hours.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Do you think having a superior-functioning and well-designed app would combat this? Louis bags are ripped off and counterfeited all the time, but at the end of the day, there's only one Louis bag.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to be here!

Is reskinning games something that's losing credibility now(avoid) or is it still a market where new app developers could focus on and achieve some success in(keep doing)? Is it losing scope or is there still space to work with reskinning games/cloning to achieve any level of success?

As for Drag-and-drop game developing tools like GameMaker, Buildbox, GameSalad etc, is it an option people can go with to create higher quality games or are more advanced softwares like Unity 2D the only thing we should think of if we want to create games if we'd like to reach success with app development?

Finally, is the myth that 50%-80% of the current mobile app markets filled with garbage and re-skinned apps true to any extent or just another negative rumor?

Thanks again for being here!

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013
Do you think having a superior-functioning and well-designed app would combat this? Louis bags are ripped off and counterfeited all the time, but at the end of the day, there's only one Louis bag.

Right, so the thing is to be the app that packs for more features for the same price, but the features are not useless items, the features should relate to the user or topic and add more value where needed. An example of this is flappy bird, once published there were tones of clones of it. But flappy bird stood strong and it nationally recognized and the clones just point to the real thing. So unless you can innovate and make it better I would not bother copying a popular app.

alfonso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 26, 2015
new york

Great, I'm thinking about having a app developed that would also have a website associated with it. I'm looking for it to service the trade industries. But I know nothing about app development or where to go, more likely than not I will be out sourcing the work. I've been drawing with pen a paper a mock up of how I'd like it to look and what functions I'd like it to perform. Thanks for any info. Also thanks for taking your time out to help out.

MrAnthony

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 3, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
What are your marketing strategies once you publish an app ?

For new people looking to outsource development of an app where do you recommend to look for good programmers?

alfonso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 26, 2015
new york

For new people looking to outsource development of an app where do you recommend to look for good programmers?
I
at this point Ill be using social media, trade forums, sales copy, web site with a possible video, cold calling and direct sale. The out sourcing part in still at a lost, wouldn't know where to go and what the pricing on something like what I'm looking for would be.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Would be the expected iAd monthly revenue for an app that has 100k downloads? $100 a month, or maybe $1000 a month?

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
If you don't have an established existence on the app stores, or your own traffic source for buyers of your app, is the app store really viable as business or has the market become too flooded with crap apps that get written using the common toolkits and app generators?

Wolf

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
May 13, 2014
United Kingdom
How do you decide what app to make? I made my first app recently and I'm struggling with ideas for another one.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
What have you found is the best way to monetize? Ads, IAPs, paid apps? I feel like it's a combo of ads and IAPs, but I haven't made a a successful app to know yet.

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013

We don't do any marketing for our app, but once someone downloads the app we highly encourage them to follow us on social media sights, but once the app hits the top charts it sells it self. And I recommend elance if you are going to outsource an app.

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013
Do you code your apps native? Or do you make use of frameworks such as Phonegap, Xamarin, etc.?
We have used frameworks but a lot of times it is easier just to develop your own framework and have custom plugins that you have built that git into your framework. But for beginner's I recommend using a framework.

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013
Would be the expected iAd monthly revenue for an app that has 100k downloads? $100 a month, or maybe $1000 a month?
It just depends how many times the user is using the app, to make a lot ($1000+) off ads you must have hundreds of thousands of downloads if else you will not make anything off ads. If you are going to a small niche market I recommend you pricing it at .99 but if your making a app in a niche that is populated I would make it free and have in app purchases.

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013
If you don't have an established existence on the app stores, or your own traffic source for buyers of your app, is the app store really viable as business or has the market become too flooded with crap apps that get written using the common toolkits and app generators?
On android there are a lot of crap apps and app generators, but on the app store apple keeps a real tight hold on what apps get approved.

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013
How do you decide what app to make? I made my first app recently and I'm struggling with ideas for another one.
We browse the top 500 charts and looks for apps that are popular but could skyrocket if they had just the right touches so then we take those apps and reproduce them with more features and functions and they almost always sell better. But we always do our research using app annie and such.

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013
What have you found is the best way to monetize? Ads, IAPs, paid apps? I feel like it's a combo of ads and IAPs, but I haven't made a a successful app to know yet.
It just depends on the niche your entering, if there are alot of users in the niche I recommend a combination of ads and IAPS, if the niche is small I would just make it paid as it will sell consistently over time.

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013
How do you determine the right keywords to target? It seems most 'authority' publications focus on targeting a singular keyword and ignore the long tail, which I completely disagree with.
Usually we just Google the niche and what ever keywords/suggestions pop up with it we use those. The title of the app matters more then the keywords and user ratings are also more valuable then keywords from experience.

jackhos1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 5, 2013
How do you think the arrival of the Apple watch will affect the app development landscape as it currently stands?
It's just another thing to have your app optimized for, but most apps will not be usable on the iWatch as there is no need. I can see only utilities and apps that people use everyday being ported over to the iWatch.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Do you guys code iOS apps in Swift, or Objective-C? And why do you choose one language over the other?

I've found it hard for me to open up to Swift wholeheartedly, but I've heard almost nothing but positive reviews for it; and many believe that within the years to come the will be no need for Objective-C.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.