The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone in the fashion indusrty or own their own brand?

sswish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 26, 2013
Hey everyone, im new to the fashion business and just started my own brand. All of the names for my brand are trademarked and some are already registered. I have a website, am on a few forms but most of my marketing right now is through instagram. I tried google ads but that wasnt paying off. Im in this for the long run and understand its going to take time but wanted to see if anyone here can share their experience and what they have done, what they would do differently if starting again, what they wouldnt do or anything else. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
Theres a guy here that created an awesome tie accessory. He might not be doing clothes but he seems to be killing it. Hes got a progress thread too.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Preface: I don't smoke pot, and wouldn't if it were legal, but I'm completely pro-legalization.

That being said, do you want to be hedging your bets and putting your time and money into a market that will disappear once legalization happens? Fashion brands often take years to build up credibility and status. By that time, chances are it'll be legal. It's really only a matter of time.

In the meantime, there are already TONS of places to buy shirts like this. Let's say in the US 50% are for legalization, 50% are against (these are made up numbers.) On the internet, it seems like 95% of people are for legalization. And tons of established websites already cater to these people.

Just my $0.02.

sswish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 26, 2013
Preface: I don't smoke pot, and wouldn't if it were legal, but I'm completely pro-legalization.

That being said, do you want to be hedging your bets and putting your time and money into a market that will disappear once legalization happens? Fashion brands often take years to build up credibility and status. By that time, chances are it'll be legal. It's really only a matter of time.

In the meantime, there are already TONS of places to buy shirts like this. Let's say in the US 50% are for legalization, 50% are against (these are made up numbers.) On the internet, it seems like 95% of people are for legalization. And tons of established websites already cater to these people.

Just my $0.02.

I appreciate you 2cents, not sure what you mean by disappear once legalization happens. Yes i am willing to put time and money into this, i know its not going to happen over night and it may take years for it to grow and gain credibility but i will be in it for the long run. I know there are other places to "buy shirts like this" but unlike most of those im here to grow a brand and be more than just "random tshirts" which most of those places to buy shirts "like" this are.I have so many ideas (beyond tshirts) for this brand and the possibilities are endless for what i believe i can do with this especially as it becomes more widely accepted and legalized. Its a booming industry and will be growing by the billions over the years and im just looking to find my niche in there and take a piece of the pie

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I appreciate you 2cents, not sure what you mean by disappear once legalization happens. Yes i am willing to put time and money into this, i know its not going to happen over night and it may take years for it to grow and gain credibility but i will be in it for the long run. I know there are other places to "buy shirts like this" but unlike most of those im here to grow a brand and be more than just "random tshirts" which most of those places to buy shirts "like" this are.I have so many ideas (beyond tshirts) for this brand and the possibilities are endless for what i believe i can do with this especially as it becomes more widely accepted and legalized. Its a booming industry and will be growing by the billions over the years and im just looking to find my niche in there and take a piece of the pie

That market will absolutely diminish, if not disappear, once legalization happens. Who supports a cause whose time is passed? Are people still going out and buying "Vote Romney" shirts? How about "Support Obamacare"? "Women's suffrage"? "Abolish prohibition?" "No child labor in the factories?"

By the way I think the marijuana market is a huge market and you can name make a name for yourself in it. I just don't understand why you would struggle for years to establish yourself in the pro-legalization market. Why not focus on the long-term game?

sswish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 26, 2013
That market will absolutely diminish, if not disappear, once legalization happens. Who supports a cause whose time is passed? Are people still going out and buying "Vote Romney" shirts? How about "Support Obamacare"? "Women's suffrage"? "Abolish prohibition?" "No child labor in the factories?"

By the way I think the marijuana market is a huge market and you can name make a name for yourself in it. I just don't understand why you would struggle for years to establish yourself in the pro-legalization market. Why not focus on the long-term game?

I'm not trying to establish my self in the pro-legalization market (guess you misread me or i stated it wrong, im in the marijuana market as a whole) i just meant for my market anyone that smokes, that is for marijuana and or is for pro legalization yet may not smoke, but im going to take it wayyy past the legalization part and am focusing on the long term game and the many things i can do with these names. I was reading you first paragraph and was a little confused at first about how those relate to me.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
I would add some more copy to the t-shirts.

When I (who doesn't know you or your brand) surfed onto your site, the first thing I saw was a t-shirt that cost 20+ dollars and have almost no copy to it. + there is only 1 picture of every t-shirt. No model that is wearing it so I can't see what it would most likely be looking on me. I don't trust it at all. Sorry, not trying to be mean, just pointing out the obvious.

Maybe create a story behind it all. Get your products come to live a bit more.

sswish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 26, 2013
I would add some more copy to the t-shirts.

When I (who doesn't know you or your brand) surfed onto your site, the first thing I saw was a t-shirt that cost 20+ dollars and have almost no copy to it. + there is only 1 picture of every t-shirt. No model that is wearing it so I can't see what it would most likely be looking on me. I don't trust it at all. Sorry, not trying to be mean, just pointing out the obvious.

Maybe create a story behind it all. Get your products come to live a bit more.

no need to be sorry, im new to this and trying to learn so i'll take all the advice i can get. i get what you saying, i was looking at other sites and they all really had one pic like that also. but wearing the shirts is a good idea and something i will look into and do.

what exactly do you mean by saying more copy and story behind it..?

WorldImperator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 29, 2014
Sswish, why you went into business you have no idea how to market and what to do?
Sorry to say, but your failure is soon.
What I mean, you did perhaps because you know a lot of people are doing it and have some money.
WRONG

I will tell you something.
I have a real close friend of mine, who has done lots of good things to me. Besides, her normal job is being a psychologist. But her passion is fashion and drawing. She is always looking like a million dollar girl. You take take any fashion magazine and cut off any picture. This is how she looks.

Now she started her own brand. This something she loves, and she is a horrible perfections. I mean. No weak point. No excuses. Always being the best, anything she do. Point is, starting just doing it additionally, she is selling her skirts and other things and has many followers on Facebook. Currently she do not care about making from it a big company and being worldwide known. If you look for her designs, this is something in which any girl looks like from heaven and is something, you will not find anywhere. If she only would like two, withing few years she could become worldwide luxioruius brand, wanted by millions of women.
Does she want it, I don't know. She have fun out of it more I think.
But, she started drawing clothes since 5 year old and she she doing exceptional drawing with colored pencils.
She is at the top of the top.
Have a vision and inner need. Being exceptional. I mean. Horribly unique and exceptional among the other talented and expecional.

This is a route to success in fashion.
But, she is readin harpers bazaar to the breakfast.

You know, doing business and acting is fine, that's good.
But have you asked yourself why did you stared doing this, except just because others are doing this?
Unless you are like my friend, being succesfull in fashion is rarely to come.
I was thinking about it also before, doing something in fashion. When she started her thing, I realized who you should be to success in that business.

Don't take me harsh please, I just want to show you, where you should be to have a success in fashion. And to make you to think, why are you doing this, because, after last post, you have no bloody idea what to do.

Why you just don't do a business in a industry you are at least kind of interested in and know which values are important for the customers?

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
no need to be sorry, im new to this and trying to learn so i'll take all the advice i can get. i get what you saying, i was looking at other sites and they all really had one pic like that also. but wearing the shirts is a good idea and something i will look into and do.

what exactly do you mean by saying more copy and story behind it..?

If you copy what everybody else is doing exactly, you will be like everybody else. And you will get mediocre results from that. Be unique and do that extra thing.

By copy I mean the text you have that present the t-shirts. Right now the text is very short and just tell the reader/customer little basic info about the t-shirt. You should tell the reader/customer WHY he/she should buy your t-shirt. What benefits do they get from buying this t-shirt? How will they feel when they walking down the street wearing this t-shirt? How are you making their life more exciting/awesome/easier by wearing/buying your t-shirt?

Look at http://www.jpeterman.com. Get his catalog and read it. JPeterman does tell a story behind the clothes he sell. You should do the same.

Right now, you have a website and t-shirts for 20+ dollars. You don't tell much more than that. You are just another brand. You should stick out and become unique.

But I suggest you to read a few books about marketing, business and so forth. Learn more and apply it to your current business.

sswish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 26, 2013
Sswish, why you went into business you have no idea how to market and what to do?
Sorry to say, but your failure is soon.
What I mean, you did perhaps because you know a lot of people are doing it and have some money.
WRONG

I will tell you something.
I have a real close friend of mine, who has done lots of good things to me. Besides, her normal job is being a psychologist. But her passion is fashion and drawing. She is always looking like a million dollar girl. You take take any fashion magazine and cut off any picture. This is how she looks.

Now she started her own brand. This something she loves, and she is a horrible perfections. I mean. No weak point. No excuses. Always being the best, anything she do. Point is, starting just doing it additionally, she is selling her skirts and other things and has many followers on Facebook. Currently she do not care about making from it a big company and being worldwide known. If you look for her designs, this is something in which any girl looks like from heaven and is something, you will not find anywhere. If she only would like two, withing few years she could become worldwide luxioruius brand, wanted by millions of women.
Does she want it, I don't know. She have fun out of it more I think.
But, she started drawing clothes since 5 year old and she she doing exceptional drawing with colored pencils.
She is at the top of the top.
Have a vision and inner need. Being exceptional. I mean. Horribly unique and exceptional among the other talented and expecional.

This is a route to success in fashion.
But, she is readin harpers bazaar to the breakfast.

You know, doing business and acting is fine, that's good.
But have you asked yourself why did you stared doing this, except just because others are doing this?
Unless you are like my friend, being succesfull in fashion is rarely to come.
I was thinking about it also before, doing something in fashion. When she started her thing, I realized who you should be to success in that business.

Don't take me harsh please, I just want to show you, where you should be to have a success in fashion. And to make you to think, why are you doing this, because, after last post, you have no bloody idea what to do.

Why you just don't do a business in a industry you are at least kind of interested in and know which values are important for the customers?

Its not that i have no idea and dont know how to market it, i have tons on things on my mind and know what i want to do with this brand and business. I just came here to see if their is anyone else in this kind of business who can share some insight about what they did, would have done differently if starting over, what worked, what didnt work and so on... I didnt post this to hear people say il fail or whatever, i came to see if i can learn more about this type of business and gain advice from others that have done it and succeed

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I think your shirt designs are pretty good, question is - can you get customers? That's the #1 question to ask yourself every time you wake up in the morning. So what can you do? You need to spread the brand awareness (like affliction sending boxes of their shirts for free to all the UFC fighters and hoping they wear them on tv) and also look for ways to get the shirts to your demographic (potheads).

so the easiest thing is to call up some pot stores and ask them to put the shirts up for sale and make a deal... even if its a crappy one, just to get awareness. Another thing is to try facebook ads which i don't know if they would work with this product i am not an expert.

one idea is to team up with an online store that sells pot items and have them include the shirt once customer orders a certain amount $ in items. Again, you'll probably have to give away shirts at cost IF and WHEN you find one place that agrees.

You could also just sell them on a street to your customers directly - festivals? shows? Problem is your shirts are pretty generic, stuff i'd find at any novelty store. It's not immediately identifiable imo as your brand.

It's a tough business and a grind and unless i really had an ego where i thought everyone should be wearing my creations AND had $50000 to blow on marketing, I wouldn't bother personally.

good luck.

sswish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 26, 2013
If you copy what everybody else is doing exactly, you will be like everybody else. And you will get mediocre results from that. Be unique and do that extra thing.

By copy I mean the text you have that present the t-shirts. Right now the text is very short and just tell the reader/customer little basic info about the t-shirt. You should tell the reader/customer WHY he/she should buy your t-shirt. What benefits do they get from buying this t-shirt? How will they feel when they walking down the street wearing this t-shirt? How are you making their life more exciting/awesome/easier by wearing/buying your t-shirt?

Look at http://www.jpeterman.com. Get his catalog and read it. JPeterman does tell a story behind the clothes he sell. You should do the same.

Right now, you have a website and t-shirts for 20+ dollars. You don't tell much more than that. You are just another brand. You should stick out and become unique.

But I suggest you to read a few books about marketing, business and so forth. Learn more and apply it to your current business.

Thanks for the advice and i will look into doing that. I will also go check out his site to see what hes doing

I'm on tshirt forums and look all over the internet for advice and articles and im reading the millionaire fast lane right now

sswish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 26, 2013
I think your shirt designs are pretty good, question is - can you get customers? That's the #1 question to ask yourself every time you wake up in the morning. So what can you do? You need to spread the brand awareness (like affliction sending boxes of their shirts for free to all the UFC fighters and hoping they wear them on tv) and also look for ways to get the shirts to your demographic (potheads).

so the easiest thing is to call up some pot stores and ask them to put the shirts up for sale and make a deal... even if its a crappy one, just to get awareness. Another thing is to try facebook ads which i don't know if they would work with this product i am not an expert.

one idea is to team up with an online store that sells pot items and have them include the shirt once customer orders a certain amount $ in items. Again, you'll probably have to give away shirts at cost IF and WHEN you find one place that agrees.

You could also just sell them on a street to your customers directly - festivals? shows? Problem is your shirts are pretty generic, stuff i'd find at any novelty store. It's not immediately identifiable imo as your brand.

It's a tough business and a grind and unless i really had an ego where i thought everyone should be wearing my creations AND had $50000 to blow on marketing, I wouldn't bother personally.

good luck.

Thank you. I am getting some customers (i know its not going to explode over night). Right now im not focused on making money, im more focused on growing the brand and getting the name out there. i would love to send free shirts and stuff out to rappers and other people but i am still looking into that and how to find their info to send stuff out.

As for going to head shops and pot stores ive strongly been thinking about that even though im not sure i want to get into the "wholesale" aspect of it which that sorta is. I just made a facebook and will be looking into the facbook ads.

I plan on going to festivals and shows, the big issue is most of the shows i want to go to are on the west coast and i live in the east coast. so going to shows out there right now isnt that simple for me.

Thanks for the luck, and i know its a tough business and im going to grind and be here for the long haul

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
You want to take this to the next level? Make your brand a Luxury-Bespoke-Art fusion brand who produces only extremely limited runs. This is what I did when I owned my own line.

If you want any chance of survival you can't do the same old screen-print crap... No heat press crap. If it were me, I'd use a combination of sublimation printing so there is no "hand" and find yourself some unique French inks. Buttery soft clothes with unique hand embellished personal touches.

Do the pieces in extremely limited runs and make the consumer pay a premium. You need to show them that it's just as much art as it is clothing. The fact that your products are marijuana related is irrelevant. Why? Because a lot of your market is made up of individuals who have no problem saving up an entire check or two and blowing it on things like this. They do it on watches, shoes, and other accessories already. Not to mention the crazy prices they seem to pay on marijuana and related products. I admit that this is a "sweeping-generalization". Don't get caught up and defensive, just read on....

My process would go something like this:

• Find quality garment brand.
  • Make a 50 piece run ONLY.
  • Apply design and embellishments.
  • Individually number each piece.
  • Create a matching authenticity card that comes along with the piece and has the number embossed on it.
  • Sell as many pieces as you can.
  • Take the pieces that are left over (usually the odd sizes are left) and frame them, sign them, and sell at an even higher price because they are your "art editions".
  • Once you get momentum you could offer up guest artist collaborations and repeat the above steps.
  • I would eventually make mass-prints of the above designs. This way, people who couldn't afford the originals or simply missed out have a chance to own a "replica print" at a lower price point.
  • Continue coming out with original limited pieces and prints and slowly branch to shoes, hats, jackets, pants, accessories, coffee table art books, etc.
Marketing is the easy part when you have something like this brewing.

An example of the first shirt:

I would take light colored t-shirts and "smoke" them. Basically I would use heat to "smoke" stain them and char up certain areas of the shirt. Then I would apply my designs wherever it made sense. Unique.One of a kind.

Have fun.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
@sswish

I'd rather answer your questions here instead of PM. I'd like to keep content here on your thread in case it helps others. Ask away.

Thanks

sswish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 26, 2013
@sswish

I'd rather answer your questions here instead of PM. I'd like to keep content here on your thread in case it helps others. Ask away.

Thanks

I was going to ask you to go into a little more detail about what you did, and how you did it. Cause i know nothing about making shirts myself and get every screen printed by someone i know. And you said when you owned your own line.. what happened and why do you no longer own you line?

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Most everything you need to know can be learned from t-shirtforums.com

Shirt brands I used often were American Apparel and Alstyle.

You might want to look at shirts made from Hemp by the way. Fits in right with your brand..

What I did was what I told you above, play with it some. Expand on it and come up with some ideas and angles to make it your own. How I did it was I searched forums and learned the ins and outs of the business and started just doing it. I picked up the phone and started asking companies for sample books, asked to do quality tests, ask them for phone numbers/emails of other people in the industry that might have what I need, etc.

I use to go so specialty art shops and buy unique inks and mix them with silk-screen inks or with various chemical "setters" so once they dried on the garment they were permanent. I bought some Gingher shears, a mannequin, and a few random supplies and started going to town. A lot of experimenting and having fun.

I don't do it anymore because it doesn't align with my desires any longer. I wanted to build a less hands-on business. I got burned out.

Last edited:

sswish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 26, 2013
Most everything you need to know can be learned from t-shirtforums.com

Shirt brands I used often were American Apparel and Alstyle.

You might want to look at shirts made from Hemp by the way. Fits in right with your brand..

What I did was what I told you above, play with it some. Expand on it and come up with some ideas and angles to make it your own. How I did it was I searched forums and learned the ins and outs of the business and started just doing it. I picked up the phone and started asking companies for sample books, asked to do quality tests, ask them for phone numbers/emails of other people in the industry that might have what I need, etc.

I use to go so specialty art shops and buy unique inks and mix them with silk-screen inks or with various chemical "setters" so once they dried on the garment they were permanent. I bought some Gingher shears, a mannequin, and a few random supplies and started going to town. A lot of experimenting and having fun.

I don't do it anymore because it doesn't align with me desires any longer. I wanted to build a less hands-on business. I got burned out.

I've been on that forum for a while now and have learned so much.
I will look into all that and possibly do something like that a little later down the line. Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.