The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone have a black card

fastlanebeast876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 10, 2015
Like The Visa Black Card or The Amex Centurion card. I know theres many of them out there. What did it take to get the one you have.

My friend has had one for years since he was 22. He told me he just had credit since he was 15 and doesnt really know how he got it. It was just offered to him.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fastlanebeast876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 10, 2015
I guess i deserve that for not being specific. smh smartass.
What I'm really asking is wor those who actually have a black card, which do you prefer and what are the benefits and perks of that black card compared to the others out there?

I already googled about them. There's just so many and I wanted to geta second opinion

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:

MEAH

Lost Without A Map
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 24, 2015
Black card is 100% for showing off only... there isnt anything that can be done with a black card that cant be done with a platinum card from what my clients tell me

annual fee over $7k for the centurion, while the platinum is four hundred bucks..

my clients who have them are all downgrading to the platinum as they said the black is a joke now

I prefer this one:

jp-morgan-palladium-card.jpg

fastlanebeast876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 10, 2015
Black card is 100% for showing off only... there isnt anything that can be done with a black card that cant be done with a platinum card from what my clients tell me

annual fee over $7k for the centurion, while the platinum is four hundred bucks..

my clients who have them are all downgrading to the platinum as they said the black is a joke now

I prefer this one:

jp-morgan-palladium-card.jpg
Thank you for a real answer. I know I'm not the smartest person in the world and English isn't my first language but I actually did look this stuff up and I already bumped my credit 100 points in the last nine months when I got my first credit card. Just wanted to know a little bit more info. I didn't think people would get at me like that

MEAH

Lost Without A Map
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 24, 2015
Thank you for a real answer. I know I'm not the smartest person in the world and English isn't my first language but I actually did look this stuff up and I already bumped my credit 100 points in the last nine months when I got my first credit card. Just wanted to know a little bit more info. I didn't think people would get at me like that

No worries... is your goal to one day get an Amex black card? Crazy fee for no reason other than making yourself feel good =-)

fastlanebeast876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 10, 2015
@MEAH Yeah it is. My friend got it because he didn't have a income gap. He applied as self employed. So I'm filing as self employed because I'm helping my mom run her daycare and I'm almost done with my personal training cert.

I've been training for free but now I'm gonna get paid for it so hopefully work my way up to getting one like he did. I haven't read the fastlane book but I'm planning to when I finish my last two. But I learned my lesson not to ask questions like this anymore

fastlanebeast876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 10, 2015
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just an FYI, I had an Amex Black for about 10 years. I cancelled it after they started skimping on benefits. I don't travel much, but when I do, I expect the card to deliver. After two trips and nothing I canceled it. As I sat stuffed in economy class regretting not paying for the 1st class ticket and instead relying on the "crap shoot" of the card, I decided I was done. Cancelled it when I got home.

The card is just a status symbol that impresses the impressionable. Give it to your bartender and they'll treat you better-- kinda like pulling up to a restaurant in a Lambo... the host will give you a better table. And BTW, the fee was $2,500/year when I canceled, not sure what it is now.

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
Yeah exactly what MJ DeMarco said! Although I'll give you a break because I was exactly like you, I saw rappers with a black card and people around me with one and I HAD TO HAVE ONE! Now i'm in a position where I can get one but to be honest its such a waste, I realise exactly what everyone on here is saying, that it is just a status symbol and nothing else.

My mum always told me that the really rich people and the ones that have true wealth will never have something like this or spend money on status symbols like a card and she was absolutely right!

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Like MJ says in his book, 'Faux wealth destroys real wealth.'

Get it for its usefulness to you, or maybe even if it's been a long-time goal, a symbol of achievement.

But do NOT get it to impress people...because the people you'll impress are not the people you want in your life.
And the people you want in your life are not impressed by that.

And Agree with @MEAH , the Platinum from American Express is awesome. Love travelling with it :)

And if you have alot of credit card spend like me, the American Express Plum is awesome as well... virtually everyone online doing volume has it.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Just a status thing. Dont bother.

For just a good everyday card ive heard good things about the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

MEAH

Lost Without A Map
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 24, 2015
For just a good everyday card ive heard good things about the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

have it myself and looking to dump it now that they are changing the TOS

used to get 7% annual dividend on your spend during the year = GONE
used to get extra points on dining/travel = GONE
used to get all sorts of travel benefits, insurance -- pretty much stink now.

The fee is still $95/yr and you can do MUCH better with an Amex or even Capital One Venture or the 1.5% cash back card

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
I have a Visa Infinite card.. and it's black. Does that count?

Up to 4% Cashback (gas station & groceries) and minimum of 1% Cashback. I pay $99/year, it looks impressive, and I usually get $400-500 Cashback which means I'm making money off them! (I transfer money to my visa instantly when I use it).

Feels good to beat the system ;)

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
you still get access to the premium lounges correct? the exact same ones as the Centurion?

Yep, the one in Dallas is super nice.
Free drinks and massages had me solddd

fastlanebeast876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 10, 2015
@Kingsta and @MJ DeMarco I can see now its not worth the money lol and i did hear it from a jayz song. Like @Silverhawk851 and @MEAH said. I wanted access to private lounges that some of the celebs and higher ups were attending. Would love to network with great minded people.

It would also feel good to have a set goal of achieving something like getting a card only few people have. More self stisfaction really than showing it off. Kind of a shallow motivation but if it helps me get better credit and closer to the house im aiming for great.

@EvanOkanagan @Gsuz and @Shades im gonna look into those card too thank you!

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida

Change

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Mar 15, 2015
You are already doing it, right here. And for free. Welcome to the fun :)

Get Right is spot on- there are people on this forum that- to us, are just names and full of knowledge to help anyone who wishes to listen to them...

People don't go around showing off the spoils of hard work, many people here don't have the "celebrity" status in the sense of fame (I don't think, could be wrong) but the pockets run deeper than the average to say the least, and in the millions to say the most.

This is a place to get some new friends, that is for certain.
It is said that the income you make is the average of your 5 closest friends... are you in a financial rut? You need to get some new ones, as great minds do mold the minds of those around them.

Be receptive to change.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I have a Visa Infinite card.. and it's black. Does that count?

Up to 4% Cashback (gas station & groceries) and minimum of 1% Cashback. I pay $99/year, it looks impressive, and I usually get $400-500 Cashback which means I'm making money off them! (I transfer money to my visa instantly when I use it).

Feels good to beat the system ;)

I have the same ...but not the same benefitso_O ( i have the old CIBC Visa, turned Visa infinite)...I do have a free ticket ( East coast usually ) every year. .....Booking for Miami soon :embarrased:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.