The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone a fundamental investor?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

stevenmac2

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Aug 28, 2007
US
Good Day Everyone,

I have typically found myself siding as more of technical type of investor using technical indicators, and have largely neglected much of the fundamental aspects. With much consideration, I feel like I am leaving out something very substantial and considerable.

I am interested to know if there is anyone here that is a fundamental investor? For instance, you are evaluating data like the PE, EPS, PEG, Net Income, Debts, and other key data points from a balance and income statement. Because my experience is so limited, I am sure I have neglected many key data points.

I would like to find 2 or 3 others on the forum that are fundamental investors and through an opportunity or exercise, understand and learn ways you screen for companies to investigate, what data points you are concerned with, and what decisions/criterias are used to make an investment into a particular company's stock listed on the Exchanges.

Is there recommended fundamental analysis book or books that you have found very valuable that we can use as a guide? I would like to see about acquiring the agreed upon book as a basis.

We can discuss the timeframe of how long we partner together, but overall, very interested in acquiring more skill and financial knowledge to make better investments other than from a technical perspective. I should be investigating both sides of the view.

It may be a good opportunity for all of us to learn something new through the process.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
Good Day Everyone,

With much consideration, I feel like I am leaving out something very substantial and considerable.

I am interested to know if there is anyone here that is a fundamental investor? For instance, you are evaluating data like the PE, EPS, PEG, Net Income, Debts, and other key data points from a balance and income statement. Because my experience is so limited, I am sure I have neglected many key data points.

I would like to find 2 or 3 others on the forum that are fundamental investors and through an opportunity or exercise, understand and learn ways you screen for companies to investigate, what data points you are concerned with, and what decisions/criterias are used to make an investment into a particular company's stock listed on the Exchanges.

Is there recommended fundamental analysis book or books that you have found very valuable that we can use as a guide? I would like to see about acquiring the agreed upon book as a basis.

Thanks!

Hey Steve,

Before anything you will have to learn how to read financial statements (Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash-Flow Statement) if you want to understand Fundamental Analysis. By learning how to read fundamentals you will be able to use this skill not to just invest in the stock market but also be able to invest in other asset's such as real estate, oil, farmland ect.

Google: How to read financial statements and learn how to read them for free.

Books I Recommend after you learn to read financials

The Intelligent Investor (Book) By Ben Graham
Security Analysis (Book) By Ben Graham
The Dhandho Investor (Book) By Mohnish Pabrai
Margin of Safety (Book) Seth Klaarman
The Little Book That Beast The Market (Book) Joel Greenblat
Common Stocks & Uncommon Profits (Book) Phil Fisher

Those are just some books to begin with if you ever need other books to read on investing shoot me a message and I'll send you more.
If you have any other questions I'd be happy to give my best answer

Kosta

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013

Definitely recommend these three also. But I gave up on fundamental investing, its time consuming - now I have the means of spending 30 seconds to evaluate a company based on fundamentals.

stevenmac2

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Aug 28, 2007
US
Hi Kosta,

Thank you for providing a response about this. I had checked my investment libray, finding at some point years ago, I must have picked up the Intelligent Investor and Common Stocks & Uncommon Profits. It was interesting that you had mentioned Security Analysis as well, as it was just yesterday alone I had put that into a wish list on Amazon. As I work through the books, I will see about acquiring additional.

I will see about locating some materials on the financial statements. Is there a source for acquiring some Income Statements, Balance Sheets, and Cash Flow Statements that I can use as study material that you recommend for free access?

Eventually, I would love to gain some methodology from the books, and begin to identify strong companies that could make good investments. When I reach that point, would you be willing to possible as a learning session to go through a few together? I would very much be interested in getting your insights.

Thank you,
Steven

Hey Steve,

Before anything you will have to learn how to read financial statements (Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash-Flow Statement) if you want to understand Fundamental Analysis. By learning how to read fundamentals you will be able to use this skill not to just invest in the stock market but also be able to invest in other asset's such as real estate, oil, farmland ect.

Google: How to read financial statements and learn how to read them for free.

Books I Recommend after you learn to read financials

The Dhandho Investor (Book) By Mohnish Pabrai
The Little Book That Beast The Market (Book) Joel Greenblat
Common Stocks & Uncommon Profits (Book) Phil Fisher

Those are just some books to begin with if you ever need other books to read on investing shoot me a message and I'll send you more.
If you have any other questions I'd be happy to give my best answer

Kosta

stevenmac2

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Aug 28, 2007
US
Thank you jp! I have added the Margin of Safety in my Amazon cart.

Definitely recommend these three also. But I gave up on fundamental investing, its time consuming - now I have the means of spending 30 seconds to evaluate a company based on fundamentals.

stevenmac2

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Aug 28, 2007
US

JP, would you be able to elaborate further on what you mean that you had given up on fundamental investing? Are you still utilizing a form of fundamental investing, but are using tools or certain indicators to evaluate the companies more efficiently? Can you explain? Thank you!

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
I will see about locating some materials on the financial statements. Is there a source for acquiring some Income Statements, Balance Sheets, and Cash Flow Statements that I can use as study material that you recommend for free access?

Eventually, I would love to gain some methodology from the books, and begin to identify strong companies that could make good investments. When I reach that point, would you be willing to possible as a learning session to go through a few together? I would very much be interested in getting your insights.

Thank you,
Steven

Glad to see that you have previously picked up some good books to read.

As far as more reading material for financial statements I would just google "How to read financial statements" "Income Statement" "Balance Sheet" " Cash-Flow Statement".

Here are a couple websites that I enjoyed learning from when I first started.

OldSchoolValue (Website)
Investopedia (Website)
BuffettBooks (Website)
Financial Statements: A Step by Step Guid (Book) By: Thomas Ittelson

I'm sure your prob eager to start investing your money in the market. But if I were you I wouldn't start investing until you had a good financial educations. This is a great time to start and become hard core about learning to read financials. Market's are at an all time hight & almost everything is in a bubble in the USA. From all asset classes (Stock Market, Real Estate, Bonds ect).

A crash in the market will be coming soon and once everyone loses 50% of there portfolio. You will have all the upset to buy everything when it is crazy cheap. I couldn't invest in the last crash because I was too young =-( , so this next recession will be my first time for very cheap companies with great value.

While i'm not on the forum everyday because i'm head deep in my businesses right now if you have any other questions i'm sure ill see them in this thread & answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Kosta

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.