The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Answer To All The "I'm young what do I do" Threads

Anything related to matters of the mind

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
Whats up player?

So you read through TMF real quick and you have more questions than my high school biology final

Cool, cool
Well let me give you some tips that'll help you REALLY make your decisions
No bullshit, no fluff, I'm not selling anything,
I'm not some old dude telling you what you should or shouldn't be doing,
I'm not some keyboard ranger telling you that you can't make it big.
I'm just like you, young guy (20) lots of options & I know it can be overwhelming if you don’t know what you are doing.

Define Your Goals
What do you want? What do you REALLY want?

Some of you will want lots of cool toys. Some of you will want to build something great. Some of you just want freedom.

Make a list of what you want & how much it would cost. Maybe you want to make an extra $2000 a month to be able to move out, live anywhere or travel the world. Maybe you want a big house with a pool and a couple fast cars. Fantasize here and determine how much that life would cost.

Got it? Cool
You have a few different options for getting to that level, but it will be one of these (or a combination of two)

esbi-quadrant.jpg

Pretty simple right?

You can make a living in any of those quadrants & depending on what your goals were you should be able to easily pick one (or two) of the quadrants as your vehicle. Not all sides are equal, though notice the following:

employee.png

Employees and Self employed folks both trade time for money, if they don’t work, they don’t get paid

businessowner.png

Business owners spend a lot of time in the beginning of their business to get it going, towards the end of a business the owner’s involvement diminishes.

There is no right/wrong path

Yes some are faster than others, but they are also harder than the rest. Business isn’t for everyone: there’s a ton of work, every day is different, you can’t “fake” business. Some people love their job! I’m not going to diminish anyone here, some people genuinely like their job. Maybe they’re a teacher or architect & their job provides a “satisfaction” that isn’t monetary.

You are either going forward or backwards

Love to learn. Just because you aren’t going to after a Bachelors degree doesn’t mean you shouldn’t always be learning. Read, listen, pay attention. Take a couple minutes of your day to read good blogs, forums, books etc. If you don’t like books check out Audible or podcast. There’s a HUGE variety of topics to learn about & you’ll never get bored. The BEST investment you can make is in yourself.

Create good habits

Think about the most effective way of reaching your goals. Build your habits around those goals. If you want to be ripped by next summer, wake up every day at 5 and go for a quick run. Want to run a successful business? Try being organized & proactive. Want to be an author? Write something every day. Once you get into the right habits, your goals stop seeming like they are a million miles away.

3 easy ways of adding value
-Fill a Need
Ever look for a solution that doesn't exist? Chances are someone else has the same problem! If you can find a way to fill that need your idea/invention could be worth millions!
-Improve a Solution
So what if there's already a solution but its just not good enough. Improve on it!
SalesForce founder Mar Benioff thought the CRM's that existed didn't give business owners the solutions they needed. So he decided to make his own, and created SalesForce, now valued at a couple billion dollars, in less than a few years
-Combine Solutions
Another way to add value is to combine solutions. People get hungry/thirsty at sporting events, so arena owners make MILLIONS every year since they are combining solutions. Movie theaters sell popcorn, candy, sodas all to make your viewing more pleasurable. People will pay money to be better suited.
If you own a hot dog stand for example, you can increase revenue by offering water bottles since people get thirsty after eating.

Picking a field
This can be tricky. Most people here will tell you NOT to do what you love & there is good reason why. I LOVE Monopoly. But that chances of me making a living as an affiliate for Monopoly is slim.

monopoly-man-broke.jpg
If you are going the route of self employed, you should pick something you like to learn about. Maybe real estate or stocks. Remember self employed trade time for money, so you should feel comfortable investing a ton of time learning your craft. If you choose correctly this wont feel like actual work. Steve Jobs worked countless hours but he loved his product & for him it was time well spent.

So what’s the FASTEST way to your goals?
All things equal...going the route of business owner & becoming an investor is the fastest way to achieve your goals. HOWEVER, this is the hardest road & all things are never equal. It is possible to be a high paid employee like a doctor and fill your investment vehicle quickly. It is also possible to be self-employed, make a living playing poker, trading stocks or FOREX, own a small biz etc and use that to fund your investment vehicle. This takes a little more time but it might be the way to go for some of you.

What this all means

middle-class-buys.gif

This chart is a simplified version of what all this means. Income comes in, pays for your liabilities and expenses. Once your assets provide enough income to pay for your liabilities and expenses, congratulations! Goal accomplished

tumblr_n1op3gMXhy1six0yvo10_r1_500.gif

Let me know if any of this helped you guys out

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I call bullshit. I'm going to college because - To start a business, you need money, an idea, a better process for that idea, and connections from people.
Comment if that's wrong!

:p
You don't need connections. It may increase your probability of success but that is it.

Excellent post jock! Always providing quality. I'm 20, I go to uni, I study when I get home for 4-6 hours, the remaining time I work on/look for businesses. I then hit the gym for 1-1.5 hrs per day, then I sleep. Rinse and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

GuestUser113

You don't need connections. It may increase your probability of success but that is it.

Excellent post jock! Always providing quality. I'm 20, I go to uni, I study when I get home for 4-6 hours, the remaining time I work on/look for businesses. I then hit the gym for 1-1.5 hrs per day, then I sleep. Rinse and repeat.

It was a joke. lol

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read a study that says people who went to military school are more efficient because they have a routine they stick to.

If you keep up the routine you'll be way ahead of your class in a year.

Cheers,

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
I read a study that says people who went to military school are more efficient because they have a routine they stick to.

If you keep up the routine you'll be way ahead of your class in a year.

Cheers,

The reason I believe is successful people have successful habits. Unsuccessful people have unsuccessful habits. That's the reason many successful CEO's and business owners are morning people and get a lot done even before their regular work day starts. Your first decision of the day is whether to wake up or hit the snooze button, and it will determine the course of the rest of your day.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
I call bullshit. I'm going to college because - To start a business, you need money, an idea, a better process for that idea, and connections from people.
Comment if that's wrong!

:p

9314cf7d3532726277cc02e0949c6915109e407391e1b8f38136c58b14a5e80c.jpg

LMAO
My thoughts exactly

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
To be honest, this is excellent info for anyone/any age, at a stage in their lives who is still searching.

Cheers, I'm always welcoming of good advice.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Great thread. I think we should also compile a list of things NOT to do, because those are just as important.

Don't:

• Sit on your a$$ playing Xbox/surfing the web all day on mommy's dime
  • Come home from your dead end job/your college classes and sit on your a$$
  • Spend 100% of your time reading books, motivational material, or watching Lamborghini videos
  • Spend every dollar you make on alcohol and takeout
  • Come to Fastlane Forum and ask the members to plan out your life for you because you should be blazing your own path (TM)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.