The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Another self publishing progress thread.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Hi.

About me:

I've been self publishing for about 7 months and have had some success. I've finally reached the point where if I never wanted to eat or have any fun whatsoever I could probably survive from my income. I have taken a slightly different road than many on here and have only published non-fiction and also have concentrated on Europe and Asia rather than the US.

I've made some huge mistakes and also managed to Forrest Gump my way to a few successes.
One of my biggest mistakes has been being too experimental; mistaking a brick wall for a gap in the market....and jumping right at it. Ouch.

As far as successes, I have utilized corners of Amazon that are not usually targeted by others. Also painful.

Why start this thread?

Well basically for 2 reasons.

1) I keep wanting to hijack other's threads.
2) To help others
3) I would like to expand out of non-fiction and would like use this as a forum for discussing ideas/asking questions etc.
4) I will be using free promotions in order to up-sell other products, which I haven't seen discussed as a marketing tactic for self publishing here

Ok that was 4 reasons.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Erock87

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Dec 30, 2013
Boston, MA
Welcome!

Care to shed any light as to the types of non-fiction? Did you write them all yourself, or outsource any of it?

How many books did it take to start seeing some traction? Do mailing lists work at the end of a non-fiction book?

Just a few thoughts to get your thread started.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Hello Erock87,

Care to shed any light as to the types of non-fiction? = mostly language/education related.
Did you write them all yourself, or outsource any of it? = I wrote em.
How many books did it take to start seeing some traction? = it took about 7 books (with only 6 which actually sold) to make it to about min wage (in the UK).
Do mailing lists work at the end of a non-fiction book? = I've only just started a website/mailing list and will get back to you on this one.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Hi.

About me:

I've been self publishing for about 7 months and have had some success. I've finally reached the point where if I never wanted to eat or have any fun whatsoever I could probably survive from my income. I have taken a slightly different road than many on here and have only published non-fiction and also have concentrated on Europe and Asia rather than the US.

I've made some huge mistakes and also managed to Forrest Gump my way to a few successes.
One of my biggest mistakes has been being too experimental; mistaking a brick wall for a gap in the market....and jumping right at it. Ouch.

As far as successes, I have utilized corners of Amazon that are not usually targeted by others. Also painful.

Why start this thread?

Well basically for 2 reasons.

1) I keep wanting to hijack other's threads.
2) To help others
3) I would like to expand out of non-fiction and would like use this as a forum for discussing ideas/asking questions etc.
4) I will be using free promotions in order to up-sell other products, which I haven't seen discussed as a marketing tactic for self publishing here

Ok that was 4 reasons.

I agree with the people who have told you you're funny. Got quite a kick out of this, and I must say, it's about time we saw you in your own thread. Looking forward to more. :)

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Hi.

I have my doubts whether this is possible for most people.

I think basically there are non-fiction writers and fiction writers. Myself I am a non-fiction writer.

That's not surprising because all I read is non-fiction and I hardly watch any movies (except for some new releases in the cinema, that is). But if that is your media intake, then all what can ever come out is non-fiction.

Well, maybe there are exceptions. But my guess is that most people are either/or.

Good luck anyway!

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
I agree with the people who have told you you're funny. Got quite a kick out of this, and I must say, it's about time we saw you in your own thread. Looking forward to more. :)
I know! I thought it was about time that I stopped cluttering up your thread with questions.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK

I think basically there are non-fiction writers and fiction writers. Myself I am a non-fiction writer.

That's not surprising because all I read is non-fiction and I hardly watch any movies (except for some new releases in the cinema, that is). But if that is your media intake, then all what can ever come out is non-fiction.

Well, maybe there are exceptions. But my guess is that most people are either/or.

Good luck anyway!
Hi Amschel,
I know what you mean about the non-fiction/fiction divide. I have been mulling it over for a while and have decided that I would like to give it a shot. I already include a lot of fiction in my books so feel that I'm getting the hang of it. I'll let you know how it goes.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado

Good luck anyway!

I beg to differ. I wrote nine non-fiction books before I ever tried fiction, and six of them continue to sell well. I've written two since I started on fiction, which haven't been published yet.

I know! I thought it was about time that I stopped cluttering up your thread with questions.

I never consider a question clutter, and you were more than welcome to ask them. I just meant that you deserved your own bully pulpit.

You go right ahead and give fiction a shot. What's there to lose? You'll never know until you try. Speed!

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I do this with most of my series: first book is permafree whenever I can make it so, second is 99c, all the rest 2.99 with a bundle at the end.

If you're talking KDP select, there are some reasons to use it, some against. You are tying yourself to a single platform.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
I do this with most of my series: first book is permafree whenever I can make it so, second is 99c, all the rest 2.99 with a bundle at the end.

If you're talking KDP select, there are some reasons to use it, some against. You are tying yourself to a single platform.
I've been using kdp as in the genre I'm writing in series' are relatively rare and have found that it works pretty well at the beginning. I'm going to start taking them off after the initial 6 weeks.

As far as up-selling what I was thinking was to send people to my website from the free kdp giveaways (which i do anyway) and then selling (membership) courses or audio downloads. This is to start to capitalize a bit more on giveaways other than just to get on the 'also bought list'.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Update:
Ok, I've made some progress this week but at times it doesn't really feel that way. I have started to sort out the content for the membership website and have decided on http://www.dlguard.com/dlginfo/index.php as it looks pretty groovy and the owner is pretty helpful. Hoping to get that up and running by the end of March.

I also published a collection of a series I have. Seems to be going well but the sales of the actual individual books (not the collection) have slowed down considerably; I guess that is to be expected though.

I have got everything done for the create space version of the collection but have decided to not go with the extended distribution. This is because the deal looks pretty crap. Also my book would be attractive to Universities and libraries so I've started to take a look at Ingram Spark and Lightning Source. Although everyone says that they are a complete pain, they do have serious reach and a superior quality end product. https://www1.ingramspark.com/ https://www1.lightningsource.com/default.aspx

So my idea is to have the non-fiction as my 'day job' and to release novels 'on the side'. So following @AubreyRose 's advice I took a look at New Adult Romance. I downloaded a book and within about 30 seconds I was thinking "seriously? People like this shit?" About 10 minutes later I was literally transfixed by that book! I didn't put it down until I was so tired that it fell out of my hands. LOL. Such a pushover! But it goes to show, if it can get me (the complete opposite of the intended audience) hooked then the formula must be like crack for people who actually like that stuff. Definitely have serious respect for those authors now.

Ok enough talking about work, time to actually do some.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
tumblr_lml9hcuqdW1qii6tmo1_500.gif

I'm glad you've started your own thread! Looking forward to this discussion.

I started out with non-fiction myself and am now moving into fiction. It's been a slow process for me because of fear of failure. LOL.

Here's two posts from Pat Flynn of Smart Passive Income. I think they're both podcasts - one definitely is. It discusses how non-fiction can be a moneymaker if you do the right research for your audience. I think this guy and his partner sold about $45k of books in the first 10 days of one release.

With that said, dive in. Love these threads.

Kindle Publishing Tips - Podcast - Pat Flynn
6 Figure Earning with eBooks (Not on Amazon) - Pat Flynn

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
tumblr_lml9hcuqdW1qii6tmo1_500.gif

I'm glad you've started your own thread! Looking forward to this discussion.

I started out with non-fiction myself and am now moving into fiction. It's been a slow process for me because of fear of failure. LOL.

Here's two posts from Pat Flynn of Smart Passive Income. I think they're both podcasts - one definitely is. It discusses how non-fiction can be a moneymaker if you do the right research for your audience. I think this guy and his partner sold about $45k of books in the first 10 days of one release.

With that said, dive in. Love these threads.

Kindle Publishing Tips - Podcast - Pat Flynn
6 Figure Earning with eBooks (Not on Amazon) - Pat Flynn
Cool, thanks for the links. Took a look at your book. Will download....looks good.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Hi,
ok I'm on the look out for a broad section of the NA genre (mostly romance). Can anyone suggest any authors? They don't have to be the most famous but that's fine too.

Thanks

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Thanks, that's so simple, how funny. I don't know I've even got this far!

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Hi,
am about to print on create space but am having doubts. I would later like to maybe go through lightning source as well or even print up a load and then send them out on my own. To do this will I need to own the isbn rather than getting the free create space one? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I think you have to have a separate ISBN for each edition anyway. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it: An ISBN is assigned to each edition and variation (except reprintings) of a book, for example an ebook, a paperback, and a hardcover would each have a different ISBN. It's a little ambiguous.

lleone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 7, 2011
New York
I read a bunch of different articles on this and I ended up going with Bowker to buy a ten back of ISBN numbers that I own. I am also using Createspace and basically assigned one of the ISBN to the paperback I'm going to print with Createspace. You don't really need one for Kindle e-books so I'm not going to use one there.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Thanks guys, I think I need to mull that one over a bit more.

quick update.
Got absolutely killed by various things this month. Exchange rates, 30% withholding for non-us sellers etc etc. I really recommend that all UK and non-us authours get that shit sorted immediately...as in do it right this F*cking second, because when you finally start sell shit it's going to sting. Here's how to get it sorted. http://catherineryanhoward.com/2012/02/24/non-us-self-publisher-tax-issues-dont-need-to-be-taxing/ No excuses! Read this!

In other news I finally broke my first (very low)two financial goals, so will be setting new ones for March, I am close to being able to survive from my business but not quite there yet. I am yet to branch out into fiction. I don't know what is stopping me. I think i will just commit to just writing something in March. I know that I have the ability but...

I have started to get newsletter subscibers..got 6 so far. LoL. I'll probably write to them later. My website is a bit of a mess at the moment. Need to get that sorted out.

I have to systematize the business aspect of my books. I have coined (I think) the term Bizmatize. Writing non-fiction is very much a numbers game; in as much that slam dunk hits are very very rare, so its all about getting each book to reach its potential in a slow burning way. So if you can work out a way to sell 5 copies a day consistently then eventually you will do well.

I think that within 6 months I want to employ someone to help me. But I don't know just yet.

So all going well, but still feeling quite a lot of pressure.

Gotta Keep Pushing!

Last edited:

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Got absolutely killed by various things this month. Exchange rates, 30% withholding for non-us sellers etc etc. I really recommend that all UK and non-us authours get that shit sorted immediately...as in do it right this F*cking second, because when you finally start sell shit it's going to sting. Here's how to get it sorted. http://catherineryanhoward.com/2012/02/24/non-us-self-publisher-tax-issues-dont-need-to-be-taxing/ No excuses! Read this!
Welcome to the arcane world of the IRS. Would you believe we have to negotiate that maze every single year? And this is after our government in its wisdom passed the paperwork reduction act almost 20 years ago. That said, I'm sorry I didn't mention this back in the fall of last year when I helped a friend from Romania obtain her EIN. It shocked me that there would be a law requiring Amazon and the others to withhold US taxes on earnings of a foreign national. Will wonders never cease? On behalf of my whacked country, I apologize.

For anyone reading this thread who has difficulty with the method advised in the article, it is entirely possible to have a friend in the US call that number and obtain the EIN in your behalf. It does require use of the form SS-4, because you will have to fill out the line at the bottom that says you are aware your friend is acting in your behalf, which the friend will have to fax to the representative they have on the phone while they are on the phone. It took a couple of tries for me to accomplish this, as the scanned image my friend sent me was difficult to read, but we did get it done and it took no more than an hour of my time. I was happy to return a favor by helping my best beta reader, so it was a win-win.

BTW, I'm certain my friend's application didn't have anything on it regarding a publishing company. Hope that doesn't come back to bite her.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Like most things the fear of sorting it was worse than the doing. If you are in the UK you will have to register with HMRC anyway. If you are a sole trader then you can ring the IRS and (should be able to) get an EAN as a sole proprietor. This will mean that you can avoid sending off passports etc, which looked like it was going to be a nightmare anyway. Of course do you own due diligence etc etc, but with a bit of explaining they will talk you through the whole thing.

There's 'a need' there.: 'How to not be brought to the verge of a nervous breakdown by having a third of your money withheld for no reason' A memoir.

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
On obtaining an EIN in the UK: You can call using Skype - it actually comes out really cheap to use their credits for international calls, as the phone call can take quite a bit (more waiting than talking lol).

EIN is definitely the way to go for an Ltd. I can't remember what the other alternative number was called (ITIN?) since it was quite a while ago I went through this but the difference in paperwork was staggering (passports, forms, applications vs. just a single phone call with EIN ;))

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Hi Johanna. Yes it's called an ITIN and it is very confusing as they say they either need your passport or a copy signed by the passport issuer; I rang UK passport office and they said that they don't even offer a signing service! That said I think you can get a EIN as a sole trader so you don't have to be a LTD. Obviously others should check for themselves.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
I have a lot to update so will do that in a few days...but...

I have noticed on this site that there are a lot of non-English as a first language entrepreneurs. I was thinking about doing a book exclusively for them to provide them with the English they need....then I thought the market would be too small so I then thought that I could have it as a section of a Business English book.

I would appreciate people's feedback; especially if English is not your first language.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Enjoyed this vid. Nothing to do with my update though....

Update:

Well it's been a while. Actually I've reached something of a cross roads and needed time to reflect on where I was taking this. My publishing career was a mistake. I hope my readers don't think that, but there you go. By 'mistake' I mean that I had an abandoned project sitting on the shelf, and then after reading @heldforransom 's thread, I thought "why not publish it?". Anyway what that meant was that I've been writing and publishing a bit randomly.

I was starting to feel that I am not really building up a back catalog that people would buy (which is what I want), but just publishing books to different markets within my genre (not what I want, as they will just buy one book and be done).

So I have taken the past few weeks (when not writing) to perform a bit of an audit on my books/sales. What I found was:

1) the two books that i were convinced would be the best sellers were by far the worst...by far.
2) My best seller(s) had a pretty broad appeal but were specific in their focus.
3) My third worse seller is the most consistent.

This was an excellent exercise and pretty much told me what the market is after. Of course it's best to see what's selling first but sometimes it's not that clear; especially if you are dealing with lots of different countries' stores.

The thing is is that I need to make a decision. If I continue in my current genre then I'll need to somehow get very serious and get into Universities and Libraries. I will attempt this anyway through ingram spark or something (not createspace). Anything more than that will feel like I have to peddle my books to individuals and that is not what I want; as all the focus will shift from production to selling something with limited appeal.

On the other hand I could branch out into other non-fiction genres. But I need to have a plan of 5-7 books I think.

On the third hand I could start writing a novel. I have been like a bunny in headlights over this one. I have made a few attempts to read a YA book, but find them a little tedious after a while. I have mapped out my own book but it's not exactly the same. This is by far my biggest problem. I seem to want to be right more than I want to be rich (or in my case free). Actually I think it may be less ego and more laziness; it's easier to think the way I've always thought...oh wait...isn't that what got me into this situation in the first place...time to go to the pub.

I think I will continue with the 'a novel' but need to expand the other book catalog at the same time.

Last edited:

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Ok no silly videos; I know they are frowned apon.

But I'm doing something interesting that I thought warranted a quick update.

Basically I have had a bit of a scattergun approach to what books I write and how they are 'presented' ie marketed. Anyway I spent a long time going through all my books (chronicled above) noting what worked and what didn't.

Anyway.. The reason I did such a detailed check was because I had released what I thought was a great book but I couldn't even give this thing away.
So...I pulled the book and completely re-did the marketing/title etc etc...but only made small changes to the book.So basically same book but different 'image'.

So far it seems to have worked but I'll report back after a week or so. I just wanted a before and after. If this works then I have the beginnings of a formula... if it doesn't then F.Knows.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Something I learned from my IT specialist husband: when something doesn't work, change one thing at a time to see if that was the specific thing causing it not to work. When you change more than one, you never know what fixed it. For future reference, of course. :)
This is very wise advice, which is why I didn't do it!

Actually I am planning something similar for my next book, but with this one I changed the focus so that affected everything.
I am monitoring what is happening and already the effect has been x5 ..very interesting

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.