The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Andrus' ecommerce thread

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Andrus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 22, 2014
Wisconsin
Firstly, I would like to thank @Ecom man @biophase @Vigilante and others for giving me inspiration and for all the priceless information they provided in regards to importing and ecommerce. If you haven't already, please check out their threads.

Anyways, I thought I'd make this thread to document my current experiment of importing items and selling them though various ecommerce channels.

Ecommerce is something I am quite familiar with as I used to go to garage sales with my mom as a 13/14yr old and buy stuff to sell on ebay during the summer. I sold about $2k/every month for 2 straight summers (which was a lot for a 14yr old punk kid like me lol). Then I stopped when the school year approached to focus on high school. Now with no formal education to deal with and much more free time, I hope to get into the groove again.

After hours of searching ebay, amazon, alibaba, and dhgate, and researching different niches, I came up with a couple products that look promising to import.

Product #1: I actually had one of these sitting around at my house. So I listed it on ebay and sold it within a week. I then contacted a manufacture overseas last week and asked for 5 samples. They arrived yesterday in great shape and I listed them on Ebay this morning. So far no sales. If this product is successful, I hope to sell it via Ebay and Amazon. The margins are great (buy for $5 and sell for $40). There is also very little competition.

Product #2: This is a rather interesting product as I can't find a single branded version of it. All of them are generic. They are selling like hot cakes on Ebay and Amazon however. My hope is to import this product, brand it, and then sell it on my own site. I can then use my brand to sell other items within that niche. I am still contacting manufactures overseas and I hope to have samples ordered by tomorrow. This item's niche is pretty popular among Instagram users, so I plan to market it aggressively there.

Those are the two products I am working on right now. I will continue to look for more as much as I can.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nica

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 25, 2015
Great job so far with your hustle. You've already made money in the past and the steps you are taking now will surely get you there again. With the right products, you'll surpass that 2k/month mark. Way to take action.

You're making me have an itch to pick up importing.

Andrus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 22, 2014
Wisconsin
Great job so far with your hustle. You've already made money in the past and the steps you are taking now will surely get you there again. With the right products, you'll surpass that 2k/month mark. Way to take action.

You're making me have an itch to pick up importing.
Thank you! I'm confident I can reach $2k/month. My goal is to do at least $5k/month by year's end.

Semmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 16, 2014
Canary Islands, Spain
Great to hear about your progress. Feel free to contact me if you want to control your marketing activities and analyze where your best customers are coming from as tracking in your stage of business is one of the most important things to be taken care of.

Andrus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 22, 2014
Wisconsin
Nice. How did you conduct research?

I keep an eye out for things I or others use everyday. Then, when something catches my eye, I search ebay, amazon, dhgate, and alibaba to research margins and competition. If it all looks good, I contact a supplier and go from there.

I also just randomly search stuff on those sites when I am watching college basketball or whatever. It's actually quite relaxing lol

Andrus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 22, 2014
Wisconsin
So after researching item #2 more extensively, there looks to be an interesting opportunity. Like I said in my opening post, there are no branded versions of it. The biggest retailers in the niche do not carry it. They are for sale on Ebay and Amazon and are doing pretty well. Looks as if the product is being created as a hobby and then sold on Ebay or Amazon. I heard it takes hobbyists a few hours to make one piece.

Moving forward my plan is to take this product, mass produce it, and create a brand with it. I hope to create a dominating online presence by selling through my own store and Amazon. If things go well from there, I can expand into other products within that niche.

As for progress:
Last night I talked to a few manufactures in China about costs. Because I need my own OEM version, they said they will get back to me in a day or two after they can figure out a price.

This morning I had a logo created on Fiverr.

Next steps:
Start building a website as well as put together social media pages.

Andrus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 22, 2014
Wisconsin
Etys does...but I feel like I can really market it and make it more mainstream. The target market is mainly men. I might be wrong, but I don't think many men shop on Etsy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.